The Power Of Bamboo

sysardman

If anybody had doubts about bamboo being used to kill people that were staked over a bamboo shoot here's a picture that might make you think again:

post-59105-0-46071000-1345894987_thumb.j

Two office chairs had been discarded in my neighbours garden some time ago and one bamboo shoot had grown straight through both of them and had reached a height of 100ft. The shoot on the right next to the chairs was about a foot tall when we first started our clearance project 3 days ago.

Bamboo had taken over my sisters house.I have cut it down,poisoned it,it still keeps on growing.

I'm thinking about taking A backhoe and digging down and taking it out by the roots.

What!!! it's going to grow back again, my back won't take any morew00t.gif

yep, if it's sunny after the rain you can almost see them growing.

I'm sure you can but I was too busy to watchsad.png

A little update for those interested and many thanks to those who've downloaded or viewed. We've been a bit rained off the past couple of days, bit boggy underfoot and the mozzies are thriving. Anyway went to check today and took this photo - a little bit bigger than before you will agreew00t.gif

post-59105-0-74473800-1346049477_thumb.j

Edited by sysardman

Mythbusters did a show on this.

Had no trouble growing through a human analogue in a few days or a week

[media]

Hi thanks for that - didn't realise there was a link until I started this reply, for some reason my browser doesn't show a lot of poster's links. I don't watch mythbusters, I get jealous seeing people get paid for having funsad.png no actually only have Thai tv, just download stuff I want in Engilsh.

Edited by sysardman

Bamboo had taken over my sisters house.I have cut it down,poisoned it,it still keeps on growing.

I'm thinking about taking A backhoe and digging down and taking it out by the roots.

If it's the running kind, that is pretty much what you have to do.

Dont leave any chopped up bits behind.

• Like 1

Just watched the video, good stuff but they nearly blew it with the type of bamboo and the weather. It actually made me sit back and start thinking back to my biology class days (my brain hurts now) - of course it's actually part of the grass family and propagates in the same way by sending out runners and shoots. Thanks againthumbsup.gif

PS yep we've still a lot of hard work aheadbah.gif

Edited by sysardman

Just watched the video, good stuff but they nearly blew it with the type of bamboo and the weather. It actually made me sit back and start thinking back to my biology class days (my brain hurts now) - of course it's actually part of the grass family and propagates in the same way by sending out runners and shoots. Thanks againthumbsup.gif

There are basically two classes, the running kind which can destroy you, and the clumping sort which doesnt spread but needs to be thinned.

Ornamental should always be clumping, unless you grow it in an old iron bathtub.

There are basically two classes, the running kind which can destroy you, and the clumping sort which doesnt spread but needs to be thinned.

Ornamental should always be clumping, unless you grow it in an old iron bathtub.

I think me and you could have put on a better show than Mythbusters - that bamboo in my photo has grown at least 2ft in as many daysthumbsup.gif There's a few posters on here that I'd like to try it onbiggrin.png

• Like 1

I honestly don't know if it would help you but I recently bought a Monsanto weedkiller that works by absorbtion thru the plants upper area, migrates to the roots and kills the plant from there. Tomorrow I will try to get the name for you and post.

It was the only thing that finally got rid of my unwanted banana plants. Maybe would work on Bamboo.

Doesn't have any effect on nearby plants if you're careful and don't get it on the leaves.

Edited by overherebc

I honestly don't know if it would help you but I recently bought a Monsanto weedkiller that works by absorbtion thru the plants upper area, migrates to the roots and kills the plant from there. Tomorrow I will try to get the name for you and post.

It was the only thing that finally got rid of my unwanted banana plants. Maybe would work on Bamboo.

Doesn't have any effect on nearby plants if you're careful and don't get it on the leaves.

Thanks for that - the difficulty is that the work I'm doing is just helping a neighbour (Thai) so I don't want to be paying from my pocket. I will pass the information on to him though.

We've been rained off yet again but I walked past today and the shoot in the photos is now way past head height. We left it growing out of interest but it's for the chop as soon as things dry up.

Edited by sysardman

Thanks for that - the difficulty is that the work I'm doing is just helping a neighbour (Thai) so I don't want to be paying from my pocket. I will pass the information on to him though.

We've been rained off yet again but I walked past today and the shoot in the photos is now way past head height. We left it growing out of interest but it's for the chop as soon as things dry up.

It was 150 baht a litre and is used at 25cc to one litre of water so it goes a long way. Takes about 4 to 5 days to start showing results but as soon as you see the leaves etc start to yellow it has killed the roots.

It was 150 baht a litre and is used at 25cc to one litre of water so it goes a long way. Takes about 4 to 5 days to start showing results but as soon as you see the leaves etc start to yellow it has killed the roots.

OK if you get the name and where to buy I'll pass it on - might even go halves because it sounds like it might clear the weeds in our back yard. Thanks againthumbsup.gif

Here goes again

Give up. Will try later

Hi @overherebc I'm having same problems, have contacted webadmin, awaiting reply, will let you know

Ah, the fun of Administrivia.

Well in true fashion he mailed me saying 'not my problem' and gave me email for [email protected].sad.png now waiting for their reply

Edited by sysardman

Latest attempt

Nope system still no good

I got an email reply from support and they were saying rubbish about file size when I actually told them I had tried with reposting the bamboo pictures in my first posts. If anybody wonders if I know what I'm talking about my nickname sysardman is derived from my previous incarnation as SysAdmin but was corrupted by students whose butts I threatend to kick for exceeding disk quotas with games and other rubbish as opposed to research and thesis trivia.

Here goes again

Give up. Will try later

Hi @overherebc I'm having same problems, have contacted webadmin, awaiting reply, will let you know

Ah, the fun of Administrivia.

Well in true fashion he mailed me saying 'not my problem' and gave me email for [email protected].sad.png now waiting for their reply

Well in true fashion after pointing out the bamboo picture example they have mailed me to say OK we'll pass it on to site admin aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggg. show me a tall building quickbiggrin.png

Try again

Thanks for that, did you buy it at one of the big stores or some other place?

Glad to see they fixed the problem, thought I was going to be in one of those 'pass the parcel' games, I was expecting to be sent to a hotline next and have to listen to 'Greensleeves' or some other mind numbing tunethumbsup.gif