Thai Father Uk Citizen, Son 16 Want To Go To Spain

I have been in a Civil Partnership with my Thai partner for 5 years now, my partner also has british citizenship and a UK passport. We have also been sussessful in getting his 16 year old son to live with us here in the UK and has ILR (my partner has sole custody). We have been told that he cannot apply for british citizenship until he is 18!

We all want to go to Spain for a holiday and have been told by the Spainish visa application centre to apply for a EEA Visa. This would make my partners son exempt from the visa application fee and all we would have to pay would be an admin fee.

We did this and completed the online application form and had an appointment on Tuesday at the visa application centre London.

We checked what documentation we needed to take from the website and also phoned them to confirm this.

We made the 200 mile trip to London on Tuesday just to be told that we did not have a consent letter from the mother. The partners son's mother obvioulsy lives somewhere in Thailand, we are not sure where! We explained that to the manager at the visa application centre who just strugged his shoulders and said thats not his problem.

My partner then went on to explain that he has no way of contacting his ex-wife and that he has sole custody. He has now said you need to bring an english translated version on that document and then they would reconsider.

I explained that this was never mentioned on the application form or on the website or when we telephoned them. Again he just strugged his shoulders.

So we have to now make another application and appointment and go back to London.

Have any of you ever experienced anything like this before and does it all sound feasablke to you just for a weekend in Benidorm!

Thank you