Klm To Bkk

mobile69

My parents are flying out here next month, arriving bkk on klm. Anybody know if you can check your bags all the way thru from UK to Chiang Mai (connecting on Thai to CM). I know this is possible with Emirates, done it several times, but I guess not all airlines have this arrangement.

My parents are flying out here next month, arriving bkk on klm. Anybody know if you can check your bags all the way thru from UK to Chiang Mai (connecting on Thai to CM). I know this is possible with Emirates, done it several times, but I guess not all airlines have this arrangement.

Yes, they can check their bags all the way through to Chiang Mai. Furthermore, if they are arriving on KLM they can clear immigrations in Chiang Mai as well. Have them look for the THAI transfer desk upon arrival at Don Muang (do not go through passport control). Their TG boarding passes will be issued at the transfer desk. They will be taken directly to their BKK-CNX flight from a gate in the international terminal.

Yes, they can check their bags all the way through to Chiang Mai. Furthermore, if they are arriving on KLM they can clear immigrations in Chiang Mai as well. Have them look for the THAI transfer desk upon arrival at Don Muang (do not go through passport control). Their TG boarding passes will be issued at the transfer desk. They will be taken directly to their BKK-CNX flight from a gate in the international terminal.

Cheers, Ovenman. We've done this before with Emirates, but wasn't sure if all airlines allowed this. The checkin staff at Manchester airport ALWAYS need convincing that it's possible (Emirates check in is manned by Manchester airport employees, not Emirates people). Last time, she phoned her supervisor to get advice & I was told "bag checked in to CNX, but you'll have to clear customs with your bag at BKK". After trying to convince her what bull she was saying, I just gave her a knowing smile & carried on my journey. The bag had a cnx destination sticker, & i transferred at bkk smoothly just as you describe.

We've done this before with Emirates, but wasn't sure if all airlines allowed this.

You can usually have your bags checked through to your final destination as most major airlines will interline your bags. Bypassing immigrations at Don Muang is a different story. There was a recent thread that covered this topic.

The checkin staff at Manchester airport ALWAYS need convincing that it's possible (Emirates check in is manned by Manchester airport employees, not Emirates people). Last time, she phoned her supervisor to get advice & I was told "bag checked in to CNX, but you'll have to clear customs with your bag at BKK".

I have encountered the same sort of thing. Truth is, whether the check-in staff works directly for the airline on which you are traveling or not, they often won't know anything about arrival and immigrations procedures in your destination country. It can be hard to convince them that things might actually operate in a different manner than in their own country (heavens forbid!). Best not to argue with them regarding what will happen in Bangkok, just be happy that your bags are tagged correctly. :o