Odd Or Obscure Thai Traditions

necronx99

When I 1st arrived in the Tambon, There was a concrete base on stanchions, quite new. Creepers had started to grow up the stanchions. No sign of work going on. 9 years later the house is just being completed. The delay apparently was the people who were having it built had had some bad luck, and were blaming the house's location. I faced the same problem when choosing the location of ours. "Can not build there, my sister husband have bad luck when he build there." I later (too late) found out he had been locked up for illegal logging.

• Like 1

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When there is a thunderstorm my wife turns off the power (Not an entirely bad idea with the local wiring), but then

she also turns off our mobiles and puts them under the bed.

Then she hangs towels over all the mirrors....

I think an urban legend a few years back is the source of the mobile phone thing- people believe that mobile phones may attract lightning and explode or something like that- not specifically Thai or traditional, but very poor science. I'm with your wife about the thunderstorm and power sources- just one little hit and there goes the computer. Don't know what the mirrors are about!

I think an urban legend a few years back is the source of the mobile phone thing- people believe that mobile phones may attract lightning and explode or something like that- not specifically Thai or traditional, but very poor science. I'm with your wife about the thunderstorm and power sources- just one little hit and there goes the computer. Don't know what the mirrors are about!

She can't or wont explain it. My best guess is perhaps the lightning will come through the closed windows,make a bank shot off the mirror and nail the mobiles under the bed. Perhaps they had a bad experience with ball lightning in the past.

When there is a thunderstorm my wife turns off the power (Not an entirely bad idea with the local wiring), but then

That mirror thing isn't just a Thai thing. A few Brit women I know did that, along with unplugging the tv in case the ariel got struck.

That mirror thing isn't just a Thai thing. A few Brit women I know did that, along with unplugging the tv in case the ariel got struck.

The image could brake the mirror.

When I 1st arrived in the Tambon, There was a concrete base on stanchions, quite new. Creepers had started to grow up the stanchions. No sign of work going on. 9 years later the house is just being completed. The delay apparently was the people who were having it built had had some bad luck, and were blaming the house's location. I faced the same problem when choosing the location of ours. "Can not build there, my sister husband have bad luck when he build there." I later (too late) found out he had been locked up for illegal logging.

All part of the "no accountability" culture here. They would never blame the bloke because he tried to make a quick buck doing something illegal, got caught, and put away. A lot easier to blame the location of a house. That the illegal logging was no doubt paying for. Perhaps when he was put away they lacked the money to finish it and to save face they told everyone they had stopped due to bad vibes from the place rather than admit they were skint.

"Does anyone know the background or any more information on this tradition?"

Yes - ignorance, poor education, and a culture that allows a small group of people to be believed no matter what dribble they say.

Luckily she wasn't subjected to dunking the standard witch test to determine whether she'll be burned alive at the stake or not. What a relief!

Edited by Morakot

Yes - ignorance, poor education, and a culture that allows a small group of people to be believed no matter what dribble they say.

Luckily she wasn't subjected to dunking the standard witch test to determine whether she'll be burned alive at the stake or not. What a relive!

(relief) .

Sure, western cultures did this type of thing. 400 years ago. I have this theory about Thailands calendar. Take the first number of the present year, change it to a 1, and there you have the actual era they are living in. I would think that in 200 years they will have their industrial revolution.

• Like 2

Try this one: I'm told women shouldn't wash their hair while on their period. Sounded so bizarre I didn't bother to ask why.

Spoke to my (Issarn - Kalasin) wife about this one. She said it is a practical thing for her and the women she knows; a lot of women get headaches during their period and think that the shampoo might make it worse

Some more obscure traditions, including explanations:

Touchwood

When people are hoping for something, they say ‘…touch wood’, and find something wooden to touch, to guard against bad luck. For example, ‘The business deal is finalized next week… touch wood’. This dates back to Celtic times. A tree could take evil spirits down into the earth, like a lightning conductor.

Friday the 13th

An unlucky number and unlucky day. The reasons are lost in the mists of time. Various religious explanations are given (the fate of the thirteenth guest at Jesus’ Last Supper, Jesus crucified on a Friday, Noah’s flood started on Friday etc.) none of them provable. Some hotels omit Room 13 and occasionally people reschedule business meetings mistakenly set for a Friday the 13th, but the date is usually ignored.

Four-leafed clovers

Clover has three leaves, so finding the rare mutation with four leaves is very good luck.

Ladders

People don’t walk underneath them. Some sources say this is because a ladder was traditionally propped up against the gallows; others, that a ladder against a wall was a triangle and therefore the sign of the Holy Trinity.

Horseshoes

It is good luck to have one nailed up over the door. Horseshoes in a bedroom protect people from nightmares. Possibly the good associations come from its shape, like a new moon. Finding a horseshoe in the road is exceptionally good luck. If it has come from a grey mare, this is doubly good.

Black cats

If a black cat crosses in front of you that is bad luck.

• Like 1

Ladders

People don’t walk underneath them. Some sources say this is because a ladder was traditionally propped up against the gallows; others, that a ladder against a wall was a triangle and therefore the sign of the Holy Trinity.

Not Thai though...

Easy to get too complicated with this one. People on ladders tend to drop sharp or heavy stuff. Safer (better luck) just to go around.

Ladders

Not Thai though...

Easy to get too complicated with this one. People on ladders tend to drop sharp or heavy stuff. Safer (better luck) just to go around.

I'm quite impressed with these bamboo ladders. Light and sturdy, they appear to be.

Yes - ignorance, poor education, and a culture that allows a small group of people to be believed no matter what dribble they say. I wonder how much dosh the parents also had / have to pay for the monks to cleanse the bad spirits?

When I first read your posts, I thought you had anger issues.

But after reading a few more, I see you enjoy taking the piss, which I do find funny and you give me a good laugh from time to time.

I'm quite impressed with these bamboo ladders. Light and sturdy, they appear to be.

I think they are great if your family traveled in a circus and the family name is usually preceded by "The Flying.."

Or if you were lost in the jungle as a small child and were adopted by a family of grey monkeys.

• Like 1

I think they are great if your family traveled in a circus and the family name is usually preceded by "The Flying.."

Or if you were lost in the jungle as a small child and were adopted by a family of grey monkeys.

That definitely explains it now!!

When I first read your posts, I thought you had anger issues.

But after reading a few more, I see you enjoy taking the piss, which I do find funny and you give me a good laugh from time to time.

Anger issues lol Yup that's me. Actually you are sort of correct, but I don't take things too seriously and enjoy debating points especially when it is clear that the other participants are getting really angry about it.

Touchwood

When people are hoping for something, they say ‘…touch wood’, and find something wooden to touch, to guard against bad luck. For example, ‘The business deal is finalized next week… touch wood’. This dates back to Celtic times. A tree could take evil spirits down into the earth, like a lightning conductor.

Friday the 13th

An unlucky number and unlucky day. The reasons are lost in the mists of time. Various religious explanations are given (the fate of the thirteenth guest at Jesus’ Last Supper, Jesus crucified on a Friday, Noah’s flood started on Friday etc.) none of them provable. Some hotels omit Room 13 and occasionally people reschedule business meetings mistakenly set for a Friday the 13th, but the date is usually ignored.

Four-leafed clovers

Clover has three leaves, so finding the rare mutation with four leaves is very good luck.

Ladders

Horseshoes

It is good luck to have one nailed up over the door. Horseshoes in a bedroom protect people from nightmares. Possibly the good associations come from its shape, like a new moon. Finding a horseshoe in the road is exceptionally good luck. If it has come from a grey mare, this is doubly good.

Black cats

If a black cat crosses in front of you that is bad luck.

Touch wood is an interesting one. I don't know of many people though that if something goes wrong will say "Ohhhh I forgot to touch wood. It is all because of not touching wood that my pet cat died". Also, I don't know of many people who would insist upon a Walnut veneer dash board in their car so that they can say "touch wood I get there" and touch it. Have you seen the gonks and crap thai's have in their car?

13th Friday (number 13 in general) - If this was a Thai superstition, no one would do anything on these dates. Westerners joke about it and get on with their days. Because we know it is a load of superstitious nonsense.

4 Leaf clover - so rare that to find one it is lucky I guess. I don't know of anyone apart from Gypsies trying to sell them who actually believe they bring luck.

Ladders - as matey says, easier to walk around than get a bucket of whitewash on your head. Or a Tile. Or a drill. Just common sense.

Horse shoes - Again, does anyone actually take this seriously? Does every house in the UK have a horseshoe on the front door? Nope.

Black cats walking in front of you bring you luck because they are taking bad luck somewhere else. If this was a thai superstition there would be whole streets where enterprising young gangs would tether cats to wires and would be paid to wheel them across in front of the customer.

You're whole list kind of proves my point rather.... they might have been taken seriously in the west 400 years ago, but not today.

Edited by Pseudolus
  • Like 1

You're whole list kind of proves my point rather.... they might have been taken seriously in the west 400 years ago, but not today.

Good news! We're all healed of the obscure traditions of the distant past.

We might be, but the local population isn't.

All part of the "no accountability" culture here. They would never blame the bloke because he tried to make a quick buck doing something illegal, got caught, and put away. A lot easier to blame the location of a house. That the illegal logging was no doubt paying for. Perhaps when he was put away they lacked the money to finish it and to save face they told everyone they had stopped due to bad vibes from the place rather than admit they were skint.

To close the story out. Wife said "When make new house (about 200 yards away) they have good luck". Yeah right, he bribed the locals into making him the Kamnam.

• Like 1

And so the delusion continues. May haughtiness guide us forever.

Did anyone mention the wooden dildo's yet? rolleyes.gif

i saw a pair of these in a roadside antique store in Uthai Thani yesterday.

Full on 6 ft tall. Impressive looking specimens.

I was wondering how they would look either side of my entranceway.

• Like 1

And so the delusion continues. May haughtiness guide us forever.

And so the delusion of grandeur continues, feeling that no counter argument or proof is required and merely putting some dull one liner is enough. May arrogance guide us forever.

Did anyone mention the wooden dildo's yet? rolleyes.gif

i saw a pair of these in a roadside antique store in Uthai Thani yesterday.

Full on 6 ft tall. Impressive looking specimens.

I was wondering how they would look either side of my entranceway.

Better either side than actually in your entrance way. Especially the back entrance.

• Like 1