Jia Tong Heng Restaurant - Highway Branch

LawrenceChee

Just been to this branch for dinner and here the review. Just drive down the superhighway in the direction towards Big C Extra / Bus Arcade

It's big with good parking spaces and the main restaurant is divided into several spaces for groups and individual families

Menu has a very good Hong Kong type selections and the price very reasonable. We had a big steam fish done hong kong style and tofu minced meat done the hokkien province style and crab balls done Xiamen style ones and the total bill was below 800 without any alcoholic drinks

Service was prompt and like a typical Chinese restaurant , good nostalgic Chinese love songs in the background

Place was filled by 7pm with lots of local families and all food arrived hot and looked around and everyone was enjoying with families

Anyone missing a hong long style Chinese cantonese style dinner meal should head there

Wow double is a lot although at the current prices , it's still doable for the quality as it is difficult to find good quality Chinese food in CM.

Fujian would have easily cost double of that although the ambience is obviously targeted at a richer clientele

Anyone can cook Chinese ...cooking quality Chinese food does involves a good chef and they don't come cheap with the fresh seafood ingredients ...

Inflation is an evil bug that is not leaving CM like the mossies !

Wow double is a lot although at the current prices , it's still doable for the quality as it is difficult to find good quality Chinese food in CM.

Fujian would have easily cost double of that although the ambience is obviously targeted at a richer clientele

Anyone can cook Chinese ...cooking quality Chinese food does involves a good chef and they don't come cheap with the fresh seafood ingredients ...

It's not Chinese, it's Thai Chinese.

but seems to be very popular with Taiwanese and Chinese tourists

but seems to be very popular with Taiwanese and Chinese tourists

Yes, you are right.

For about 10 years I went to the first branch on a weekly base. I know the family very well and the "old" lady knows me even by name. However, they DOUBLED most of the prices around the opening of the new branch. Too expensive now for the quality.

You are right, used to patronised the city branch, but now not that often as prices have gone up to much...the highway branch looks great...

What's the difference?

Its Teochew and quite good Teochew

Hong kong style Chinese food and Thai Chinese food is almost the same in cooking styles

So unless u are an expert in Cantonese cuisine this restaurant serve good comfort food for the Chinese from the south

Yeah, gotta agree. Probably the best Chinese restaurant in town.

Just a quick note to thank the OP. I have lived rather close to this place for some time now, and never even knew it existed. Encouraged, and Enlightened by this thread, my wife and I had a lovely meal there last night.

As for prices - I didn't find them to be high at all, unless you are ordering peking duck - but even then its worth it! As an example, I had a Chow Mein (As I know it - Yellow Noodles fried with Chicken and Veg) - She asked if I wanted Small, Medium or Large. I chose Medium at 120 baht. When it arrived, it was huge! Enough to feed 2 as a main meal!

Its now on our little list of gems to ensure we take guests to when they visit.

Thanks LawrenceChee! :)

With my own experience it is better to pre order suckling pigs and Peking duck to allow the chef enough time to roast them properly and allow for the spices to soak into the meat ...this gives a better experience

Peking ducks need about 6 hours to be roasted properly