Turbo Timers

Bung

Does anyone have any experience with turbo timers?

Do they allow the car to be locked while timing down?

Are they a neat installation? Or is it a butchery of your wiring?

Are they worth having at all? I was told not by the salesman but I know that shutting off the engine while the turbo is still spooled up (spinning) can cause bearing wear due to the loss of oil pressure. Are the modern turbos better at handling this? I heard they have ceramic bearings. Also the Vigo has a variable nozzle turbo. Does that mean it doesn't spool up as much at lower revs?

I take it pretty easy before shutting down but it would be nice to know that it is ok to shut straight off.

It would also be nice to be able to let it idle for a couple of minutes without having to sit by the car and wait after highway speeds.

Here's some words on turbo timers found from June 2001 TechTIPS published by Subaru for Subaru Technicians:

"2002MY WRX TURBO COOL DOWN PROCEDURE:FHI's position regarding this is that it is not necessary to perform a "cool down/idling" procedure, as was recommended with past turbo models. Our current 2.0L turbo engine has a far greater cooling capacity and, coupled with technology advances, makes this practice no longer necessary. This explains why information about cool down is not included in the 2002MY Impreza Owner's Manual. The heat contained in the turbo charger will begin to vaporize the coolant at the turbo charger after the engine is stopped. This hot vapor will then enter the coolant reservoir tank which is the highest point of the coolant system. At the same time the vapor exits the turbo charger, coolant supplied from the right bank cylinder head flows into the turbo. This action cools the turbo charger down. This process will continue until the vaporizing action in the turbo charger has stopped or cooled down."

Assuming your vehicle handbook does not recommend cool-down idling I guess there's no real reason for spending money on a turbo timer.

There's also the legality / safety issue, certainly in the UK it is illegal to leave a vehicle unattended with the engine running.

I think if this was honestly an issue then Toyota/Isuzu/Nissan/Mitsu/Mazda/Ford would fit one.

Personally when I look at a used car and I see all kinds of tweaks and mods, then this counts as a very big strike against the vehicle for me.

Plus it obviously consumes more fuel and pollutes more. If and when bits in the turbo need replacing then I will just replace them, just like other parts. (Parts that likely need replacing well before you wear any turbo fan down)

Turbo Timer : A turbo timer allows the vehicle to run at idle after the ignition is turned off for a designated amount of time. This allows the engine to cool through oil circulation by allowing the engine pressure to normalize without having bolt-on an independent oiling system, like an oil pump for example. If you don't have a turbo timer, shift to an intermediate gear and drive at a low speed for a quarter to one-half mile before shutting off the engine. Allowing the engine to normalize temperature and oil flow by doing this will enable the oil to with stand the hot shutdown period without coking onto the bearing or evaporating.

I hope this help. :o

Edited by Stealth

Turbo timers are really only neccessary on the larger turbos like the ones in tuned Imprezas,Evos and other hi-performance cars that have been tweaked and are non standard.They allow the turbo to cool properly after use by keeping the turbine running on a low Psi until its cool enough.A wise choice if your turbo is large.Standard pick-up turbos dont need a timer because they are low psi.

Turbo timers are really only neccessary on the larger turbos like the ones in tuned Imprezas,Evos and other hi-performance cars that have been tweaked and are non standard.They allow the turbo to cool properly after use by keeping the turbine running on a low Psi until its cool enough.A wise choice if your turbo is large.Standard pick-up turbos dont need a timer because they are low psi.

Great, that's what I needed to know. Cheers.

Great, that's what I needed to know. Cheers.

Hmm...but the 'Tuner handbook recommends idling to cool the turbo too. From memory it's:

Urban stop-start driving: No need - can safely shut the engine off straight away.

Continuous 80km/h driving. Idle for 30sec before shutting down.

Continuous 120km/h driving. Idle for 1min first.

Not sure about the speed in the last bit, but can remember thinking motorway cruising speed when I read the book.

If I can find a timer that won't bugger my warranty I'll have it fitted.