The Dory Fish Scam

Windhorse

Sorry folks.

Just getting the hang of this impressively complicated reply system.

The first two lines of my reply to "fgis" belong to "fgis" and I am following on with a somewhat

hastily-composed objection to "fgis's" claims.

Sorry for the confusion but I feel, confused as it may appear, my post is preferable to these RIP deals we're gonna be flooded with all to soon.

Personal view.

Just sayin' is all.

I've bought the dory and panga a few times from macro for making a pot of fish soup, being an ex commercial deep sea fisherman I think in my opinion these two fish are not even closely comparable in taste to haddock or cod mainly found around UK waters but just about acceptable for making a pot of fish soup,,

just a mention though, I've picked up those sole (flatfish) that makro sell on their ice counter cant remember the thai name but I've found those to be tasty and reasonably priced too

Nice to hear someone who's been a fisherman check in on this. Thanks for a decent post, and I'll head to Macro and check out their fish.

• Like 1

Check out the flatfish in macro that looks like a big grey tongue, a little but like Dover sole in shape, filleted and thrown in the pan coated in breadcrumbs,,,, taste not too bad

They are sold as Indian Turbot (proper name is Indian Spiny Turbot) ,look like a flounder with teeth.thumbsup.gif

You could be right ozzy, I'm working away now or I would've checked to be certain, there were 2 types of flatfish last time i was there, bought them from both Tesco and Macro but I think it was the other smaller ones, as I said, identical in shape to a Dover sole,(more oval shaped at the head) that I tasted, they were fairly small after I filleted them, I bought 6 for a family of 4 and should've bought a couple more.

I'll certainly try the Indian halibut sometime, but I somehow don't think they'll taste quite as good as the Atlantic halibut

Went into Tesco again yesterday and they had frozen Pangasius and Dory fillets side by side. The Pangasius at 85 baht/kilo and the Dory at 329 baht/ kilo. There were 3 fillets in the Pangasius package and only one in the Dory package. They looked exactly the same. I bought one of each. I prepared 1 Dory fillet and 1 Pangasius fillet exactlly the same when I got home, salt, pepper, lightly floured and fried in olive oil. I ate them with some mango salsa and could not tell the difference at all. I guess the the fish had dual nationality, One side was from Pangasius and the other from Dory. The only difference that I could see was the price. Won't but the Dory any more. Most likely I'll buy only fresh fish from the local Wednesday walking market. No Dory or Pangasisus, only talapia, catfish, snake head fish and eel, all still alive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So the Dory I buy from one of those Japanese supermarket chains is in fact not dory? it is very cheap for a fillet.

I found a way to eat REAL good fish from the sea, I now buy at BigC(asino) the French frozen fish called CABILLAUD and an other one called COLIN.

How can you eat a fish who you are on first name terms with? biggrin.png

Thanks for the tp on flat fish.

Dory is good fried in batter. Not as good as cod but, we find, popular as an inexpensive substitute. No-one will pay for cod and chips and the price a restaurant must sell.

Agree 100%

We sold loads of it in our restaurant. We offered cod (at a commensurately higher price) but most customers went for the beer battered dory, chips and mushy peas.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried nearly all the fish species Makro has to offer,but

wont touch Talapia(,Dory,Doly Pangasius ,) all the same farmed

fish. The Hoki from NZ,and the Cobia from Thailand both had

an oily after taste,the wife had to eat them,then I found what

is labeled Giant sea Perch, which is in fact Burimundi and

is used in Oz fish and chip shops just like Cod, its a nice

white flesh,flaky and does not have that oily taste,which

most likely comes from the food they are feeding them

if they are farmed. Also look carefully at Makro as there

are 2 different brands one is Bht175 a kg the other Bht345.

Have you seen the size of the Grouper and Red Snapper

fillets in the freezer at Makro, they are about the size of

goldfish,no wonder theres few fish left in the sea.

regards Worgeordie

regards Worgeordie

you say there are 2diff.brands i expect the 345bht.is much better? its the same with that so called dory,maro has a farmed one at 135kilo[awfull] and home fresh has one which is called pacific dory from the sea 295bht a kilo this i found good.

today i am cold smoking some cobia,miss my smoked haddock so lets see how this comes out.

tried those grouper and snapper no different to eating rubber.

• 3 weeks later...

regards Worgeordie

bought some on sunday,tried it yesterday,what i had was pretty good,but i dropped a pollack

bought the 175bht.one only to find its 30%water and had pcs.wth the fin bones still in and skin attatched to make up weight.so next time its the 345bht.

• 2 weeks later...

Buy from Gourmet market or Villa. Far superior quality and freshness to tesco,big c or makro but you pay more.

Or even Fuji on occasions - They know they can't stock crap as the japanese will not buy it. smile.png

Edited by negreanu

So we all agree that dory is just shxt fish and that once more customers are cheated ?

All restaurateurs are all cheater in US as in EU and even here.

When they sell the real food it's just already cooked industrial food like Makro is selling.

Are you serious?

Perfectly !

People who expect to eat fresh food in restaurants, even expensive ones, should have a second look at what is sold in supermarkets...

In Thailand maybe only Thai street food is fresh, everything else is made by cheaters and industry.

I cannot stand anymore what we are given to eat. My dog in EU was eating better food than what they give us in restaurants everywhere in the world now.

I can assure you that in the hotel I work in there is hardly any processed food.

Went to Tesco in Singburi yesterday. In the frozen foods section they had a bin marked "dory". 255 baht for 5 frozen filets. I picked the package up and it didn't say "dory" it said Pangasius. I went over to the fish deparment and bought 5 "Pangasius" filets for 141 baht (99 baht/kilo). They were still frozen. I bought it a month ago and it was only 79 baht/kilo. There's a lot of moisture in it when you defrost it and it needs to be dried out before cooking. I dry mine with paper towels and then coat it with sea salt and let it stand for at least 30 minutes to draw the moisture out. I then brush the salt off and cook it they way that I want.

Went to Tesco in Singburi yesterday. In the frozen foods section they had a bin marked "dory". 255 baht for 5 frozen filets. I picked the package up and it didn't say "dory" it said Pangasius. I went over to the fish deparment and bought 5 "Pangasius" filets for 141 baht (99 baht/kilo). They were still frozen. I bought it a month ago and it was only 79 baht/kilo. There's a lot of moisture in it when you defrost it and it needs to be dried out before cooking. I dry mine with paper towels and then coat it with sea salt and let it stand for at least 30 minutes to draw the moisture out. I then brush the salt off and cook it they way that I want.

'Makes sense, but sounds like a process many Thai restaurants wouldn't bother with for a fish & chips order...