Fake Engine Oil In Thailand

shariq607

Hi,

i was recently looking at the internet and found a thai person selling Shell helix ultra 5W-40 for only 1200 baht online. The same oil costs 1740 baht at various shell gas stations.

So my question is are there fake counterfeit oils out there in thailand?

If so how to do you distinguish between Genuine Shell oil and their counterfeit counterparts?

Thanks

I had a Shell oil change near by. The guy said to the Mrs, happy you come here because oil ''real Shell'', others not. sad.png

I am surprised you don't change the oil yourself! At least you do(?) look at the seal before they put it into your truck?

Also,is there a facility where the public can have oil tested for its viscosity?

Edited by thailoht

I had a Shell oil change near by. The guy said to the Mrs, happy you come here because oil ''real Shell'', others not. sad.png

Is it possible if i could take the bottle of shell helix ultra to shell stations to let the staff check it prior to using it on my car ?

I am surprised you don't change the oil yourself! At least you do(?) look at the seal before they put it into your truck?

Also,is there a facility where the public can have oil tested for its viscosity?

Unfortunately, Vertigo has finished all my oily rag stuff sad.png . BUT, we all know that oil cans are sealed from refinery and can be checked at any garage for the real stuff. thumbsup.gif

Is it possible if i could take the bottle of shell helix ultra to shell stations to let the staff check it prior to using it on my car ?

Do you think they'd

a) know

b ) care

c) give the farang the answer he wants in order to end the uncomfortable social situation

?

Edited by siampreggers

Oil bought in vey large quantites is cheaper by a fair whack and there's a large mark up on it.

The person selling on line - It maybe fake , but it may also be genuine bought in large quantites without the overheads of the staff, the land, shells share, most likely tax, etc etc.

Unfortunately, Vertigo has finished all my oily rag stuff sad.png . BUT, we all know that oil cans are sealed from refinery and can be checked at any garage for the real stuff. thumbsup.gif

Sorry to hear about your vertigo. sad.png

Would you say that those plastic liter oil containers are good-to-go if the 'seal' is intact on them or are they more prone to 'tampering' than the cans of oil?

Sorry to hear about your vertigo. sad.png

Would you say that those plastic liter oil containers are good-to-go if the 'seal' is intact on them or are they more prone to 'tampering' than the cans of oil?

Yes, BUT, look at the spelling on the bottle. whistling.gif

More likely to be "off the back of a lorry" than fake!

Agree. This is more likely.

Or coming over the border from Malaysia same as the cut cut price fuel which is sold around Songkhla/Hat Yai area....cheap fuel is smuggled in from Malaysia and sold in Thailand, no reason why they couldnt do the same thing with other products

Do you think they'd

a) know

b ) care

c) give the farang the answer he wants in order to end the uncomfortable social situation

?

d) Do you think a petrol station would have the proper equipment to check product quality ?, you could put cooking oil in a shell container and the average pump jockey anywhere in world wouldnt know the difference

• Like 1

interesting...probably have a 500k-1 mil bt vehicle and worrying about saving 500 baht on oil??? ........ha'pth a tar?

Mmmh, 500 baht x 8 liters is 4000 Baht, when changing oil every 5000 Km this can easly add up to 20.000 Baht a year.

Gas stations are the most expensive place to buy oil. On line or a super store much less

And what is with this funny math ? What car or truck uses 8 liters. My truck 4.5 my car just under 3,5 both with filter change. Both are 2012 models and both owners manuals don't suggest changing every 5000 km. So for those of you out there who drive 25000 km a year, (I do X4)

Oils have improved over the years. This is not 1970 any more. she 3000 miles (5000 km) doesn't hold any more. My BMW even lets the car go up to 25,000 km between changes

So check your owners manual

interesting...probably have a 500k-1 mil bt vehicle and worrying about saving 500 baht on oil??? ........ha'pth a tar?

Mmmh, 500 baht x 8 liters is 4000 Baht, when changing oil every 5000 Km this can easly add up to 20.000 Baht a year.

And what is with this funny math ? What car or truck uses 8 liters. My truck 4.5 my car just under 3,5 both with filter change.

So check your owners manual

Well maybe both Chevrolet and Nissan are cheating me then and have rewritten the manual as it says 7 liters for the Nissan and I recall the Colorado which is the same engine as the Isuzu being 8 liters.
  • Like 1