Using Ubc Boxes Out Of Thailand

nonthaburial

I previously received UBC in both Kunming and Dongguan, now like a lot of others, this source has dried up.

I am now considering opening up another UBC account in BKK, getting the box put into my BKK apartment(the dish is already there) and then move it to Dongguan.

Can anyone give me any reasons to believe this will not work ?.

If you've previously been receiving True signals from Thaicom 5 then there is no reason it shouldn't work. But you are a well outside the normal service area, what size dish were you using?

Footprint maps here http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/thai5.html

Your existing receiver should still be able to view the free channels (The DLTV stuff).

Of course it's well outside the scope of the True user agreement.

If you've previously been receiving True signals from Thaicom 5 then there is no reason it shouldn't work. But you are a well outside the normal service area, what size dish were you using?

Footprint maps here http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/thai5.html

Your existing receiver should still be able to view the free channels (The DLTV stuff).

Of course it's well outside the scope of the True user agreement.

Thanks Crossy, yes agreed on the footprint , hence the dish being 1.5 meter., but funnily enough, although right on the edge of the footprint, the picture was excellent and very unusual to suffer " rain fade "

I have tried to get onto a Truevisions web site, but all in Thai. Do you have any idea of total cost of setting up a new account for the top package, this to include monthly fees, deposits etc.

Many thanks

Little surprised you could receive TrueVisions/UBC on KU-band in Dongguan seems to be outside the Thaicom5 KU band beam footprint area. Buy hey, you say you receiving it so that good.

Here's some Thaicom5 coverage maps from SatBeams which shows C band and KU band coverage. The IC (IndoChina) and Thailand maps shows the KU band coverage; the other two maps are for C band coverage. Although Thaicom 5 transmits C and KU band frequencies, I think TrueVisions subscription programming is only transmitted on KU band (around 12GHz).

Edited by Pib

In Hong Kong there are businesses that offer UBC installations. I have seen it working at a friends house with a 1.5M dish. At that time it was connected to a proper TRUE box with subscription. I don't know but would guess that those installers are using the 2nd, 3rd.... box from a valid Thai TRUE subscription.

Also, several years ago someone I travelled to Hanoi with had brought along his 2nd TRUE box to give to his Vietnamese friend to use there. But I don't know what size dish they were using.

In Hong Kong there are businesses that offer UBC installations. I have seen it working at a friends house with a 1.5M dish. At that time it was connected to a proper TRUE box with subscription. I don't know but would guess that those installers are using the 2nd, 3rd.... box from a valid Thai TRUE subscription.

Also, several years ago someone I travelled to Hanoi with had brought along his 2nd TRUE box to give to his Vietnamese friend to use there. But I don't know what size dish they were using.

Yes i quite believe that UBC is / was available in HK, however, there is a very strict restriction on the use of dishes there. If your friend was out in the NT then I guess 'out of sight out of mind" is applied. Its nearly 99.9% cable in HK now.

Yes i quite believe that UBC is / was available in HK, however, there is a very strict restriction on the use of dishes there. If your friend was out in the NT then I guess 'out of sight out of mind" is applied. Its nearly 99.9% cable in HK now.

You're right it was in the NT. Why the restriction on dishes? They look ugly? Dangerous in a typhoon?

But anyway if it works in HK then it will work in Dongguan.