Renewing Imm Ed Visa (Single Entry)

Hi all, I'm guessing this is not the first time this has been asked but I haven't found an exact same scenario (or more or less) here yet so I'll ask again.

Facts are

I'm on a German passport, working as Consultant in Bkk and have been given on my last trip home when re-applying for a new visa a letter by my company stating my next contract duration of work etc. - they gave me an ED visa, single entry.

I entered June 29th, hence acc. to my arrival stamp by Sept. 29th I either have to report to Chaengwattana (and pay?) , and/or leave the country for a visa run ?

I'm thinking this back and forth but right now, to me it seems as I could do the following:

As long as I leave the country before the 29th Sept. I dont have to go to a Thai embassy to apply for a new Non-Imm. Visa, I can just leave and come back in and get another 90days. This will work if I first go to Chaengwattana and get a 3,800THB multiple entry stamp right?

Does this work? Is this the way to do it? I'm really confused, especially now that I'm reading that usually ED visas are given only with support by your university/institution that you actually study in Thailand. This might confuse them if they see my actual letter where it states 'consultant' .

I'd really like the above version to work because I want to go travelling a bit... smile.png Thank you!

A single entry is just that, 1 entry. So by just leaving you will not get another 90 days. Instead you will get 15 by land and 30 if return by air.

An ED-visa is for studying and does not allow working. Besides that, you are only allow to work with a work permit. It seems you are currently working illegally and you will certainly not get an extension of stay for that.

Mario, thanks for your reply.

I am still wondering - it wouldnt work to attain a multiple entry permit and then be able to come back in with 90days? Since the whole point about it was that my contract is for 6 months, and that's what the letter from my company stated clearly, so why should I not be able to extend this?

There should be a way to change the single entry into a multiple entry (at Chaengwattana) and then not to lose my Non-Immigrant visa when I come back in.

A re-entry permit does not provide any new time - it only keeps your current permitted to stay alive.

Are you sure you are even legally working? Normally ED does not allow work permit. It is for study. Why was an ED visa even issued? Are you on a special study/work program?

No they can not change to multi entry visa at immigration.

I'm working for an intl organization and the work permit issue is tricky - basically we don't need one. I did not disclose anything to the embassy,they gave me an ED visa despite the letter saying I'm working as a consultant, paid. I'll go try it out I guess, going to Chaengwattana and see what they say. Thanks anyway though!

I'm working for an intl organization and the work permit issue is tricky - basically we don't need one. I did not disclose anything to the embassy,they gave me an ED visa despite the letter saying I'm working as a consultant, paid. I'll go try it out I guess, going to Chaengwattana and see what they say. Thanks anyway though!

An international organisation as the UN doesn't need a work permit, if properly accredited to the organisation! Working for an NGO, like green Peace of Doctors without Borders does need a permit, even if it is volunteering.