Officials Launch Drive To Register Illegal Phuket Taxis

webfact

Officials launch drive to register illegal Phuket taxis

Phuket Gazette

taxi.jpeg

Teerayut Prasertpol, chief of the Phuket Land Transportation Office, said that standard taxi fares in Phuket may be introduced as early as mid-September. Photo: Atchaa Khamlo

PHUKET: -- Illegal taxi drivers in key tourist areas in Phuket will have the chance to apply to become legal as part of the government’s campaign to resolve the decades-old problem of illegal drivers plying Phuket’s lucrative tourism trade.

The news was announced yesterday by Provincial Land Transport Office (PLTO) chief Teerayut Prasertpol at a meeting of provincial officials, police and representatives from Phuket taxi rank operators.

Drivers and taxi rank operators in Kata and Karon will have from today, August 29, to Friday to register.

Operators in Thalang will have from September 4 to 6, while drivers and operators in Patong will have from September 7 to 8.

“We need to know the exact number of taxis to be registered in each area. Currently there are more than 500 registered ‘green plate’ taxis and about another 3,600 taxi drivers requesting registration,” said chief Teerayut.

“However, it’s likely that only about 1,800 of them will have the right to request registration. Those seeking registration must have their own taxis or already be working from a taxi rank,” he explained.

The news comes as a provincial task force assembled to tackle to growing problem of illegal taxi drivers moves to draw up a list of standard fares to be used by all taxis in Phuket.

“We will try to establish standard taxi fares throughout the whole province. All taxi companies must charge the same fares for the same journeys. For example, the fare from Phuket Airport to Patong should be the same as the fare from Patong to Phuket Airport,” chief Teerayut said.

“We are now in the process of collecting information on the taxi fares charged in different areas. After the list of fares has been compiled, it will be presented to the committee on September 14.

“If the committee approves the fares, they will be implemented thereafter,” said Chief Teerayut.

Other points discussed at the meeting included the standards of drivers’ attire and their manners.

Phuket Vice Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada warned that after the illegal taxi issue was resolved, he will start work on the issues involving motorbike taxis and tuk-tuks.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...axis-16781.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-08-29

I notice the only mention of fares in the article is about "approving" the current (ridiculously overpriced) fares, so that the lazy cab drivers can continue to sit in one spot and work as infrequently as possible to afford their BMW taxis.

Also not mentioned in the article is the fact that the "illegal taxis" not only overcharge people, they threaten the lives of any taxi meter that would otherwise be willing to come and pick up passengers near their "turf" for a metered ride.

What a load of crap - I can't even believe these people think this is helping their image somehow. They really have no grasp on reality.

If the meters were used, then surley the fare to and from the airport would be the same (give or take depending on traffic)..

Got more chance of the illegal taxi's registering, than the other lot using meters thou...

The illegal taxis are cheaper than the "official" taxis.

Legitimize the already extortionate fares; face saved all round and the tourists, who have no voice, get stiffed again.

Everything going according to plan.

Having watched the taxi situation evolve from a service industry to an organization capable of calling the shots, this is no accident.

I thought they already did! In the article dated August 2, 2012 it says:

The Phuket Governor will sign an order giving illegal taxi operators 15 days to register their vehicles, officials were told yesterday.

Don't believe anything from anyone in government in Phuket!

Some people listen to reason and adhere to the laws of the land, and then, some don't. For those that don't and push the limits, you need to make an impression that lasts and sends a message to others that may break the same laws. So here's my twist on how to curb illegal taxis in Fhuket. When an illegal taxi that is found, the police quietly ask the owner to step out of the car, then set the car on fire, right there and then. Won't take long for that message to travel the coconut telegraph.

Legitimize the already extortionate fares; face saved all round and the tourists, who have no voice, get stiffed again.

Most of the illegal taxi's operatore from the same stands as the legal tuktuk's/taxi's. I am always wondering why these organisations allow these illegal taxi's to join.

Most of the illegal taxi's operatore from the same stands as the legal tuktuk's/taxi's. I am always wondering why these organisations allow these illegal taxi's to join.

Couldn't be the payoffs could it :)?

Couldn't be the payoffs could it smile.png?

Don't think they're paying their collegues/competition. If I were a legal taxidriver and part of one of the Kata stands, I would not be very happy with somebody joining the stand but with white plates: cheaper registration, cheaper insurance, not good for perception, etc.

......about another 3,600 taxi drivers requesting registration,” said chief Teerayut.

“However, it’s likely that only about 1,800 of them will have the right to request registration......

Yeah, that should solve the illegal taxi problem alright. :rolleyes: