Russian Tourist Falls To Death From Surat Thani Hotel

webfact

Russian tourist falls to death from Surat Thani hotel

image_2012082917272071EBC6B7-05D2-42DC-00F99984497C3386.JPG

SURAT THANI, Aug 29 - A Russian tourist fell to his death from the 20th storey balcony of a hotel in the southern province of Surat Thani.

The dead man was identified only as Mr Vladimir Ruskuleshov, 26.

A bottle of an alcoholic drink was found on the balcony and his belongings, scattered in the room. included a broken mobile phone, and computer notebook. Two bottles of liquor were also found in the room.

According to the initial investigation, the victim checked in alone, but persons in the hotel said they heard shouting from the room before the body was found.

Police speculated he might have quarreled on the phone and vented his anger on his own belongings. They further speculated that he went to drink on the balcony, became drunk and fell to his death. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-08-29

Another "incident" regarding Russian people. As far as I'm concerned, this version of the events doesn't convince me at all.

Why doesn't it convince you? It seems pretty plausible to me.

These "incidents" are too frequent in Thailand. I start to think Thai balconies are extremely dangerous.

this actually seems one of the more plausible suicides, raised voice, alone in the room, phone smashed so it appears he was arguing on phone first, had a few drinks and jumped rather than fell, although falling is also plausible as some balconies here are low, even for me as a 6 footer

Another "incident" regarding Russian people. As far as I'm concerned, this version of the events doesn't convince me at all.

Why doesn't it convince you? It seems pretty plausible to me.

Well it is one possible explanation. Another is that there was someone else in the room, they had a fight and he was pushed off the balcony. I would like to think that the police will do a full investigation, including looking at the hotel cctv and talking to whoever it was that was that called on his mobile before his death.

Awful way to die. Are there any figures out there for balcony- related deaths in Thailand..? Does seem to happen way more than anywhere else. I know there are quite a few on Spanish resorts, but seemingly nothing compared to here.

Suicide or accident, the end result is the same, alcohol usually involved, very sad either way. I have heard that a Scotman ended his life in Rachaburi last week by shooting himself in the head on a Golf course. Strange that it has not been reported or mentioned on TV. Anyone have any news on this. No jokes about missing a putt please. Apparently he had a wife and two young children so if true very sad.

Suicide or accident, the end result is the same, alcohol usually involved, very sad either way. I have heard that a Scotman ended his life in Rachaburi last week by shooting himself in the head on a Golf course. Strange that it has not been reported or mentioned on TV. Anyone have any news on this. No jokes about missing a putt please. Apparently he had a wife and two young children so if true very sad.

Of course most of these jumps are suspicious. Theres a farang "jumping" from a balcony every other day in Thailand.

I can not remember any country I have been to that has had more of these type of things happening. They heard another voive coming from his room? Maybe he was set up then he was pushed

Thailand should get a new nickname. Instead of the "Land of Smiles," it should be called the "Land of the Falling Farang." I have never read of so many people, especially of one particular race, falling off of balconies anywhere else in the world. Maybe the wind and gravity are much stronger in Thailand???

It happens all the time all over the world. It's not some Thailand specific conspiracy.

85+ Americans, ages 18 to 57, have died falling from unsafe low rail-height Mexico hotel balconies since 1995.

"About half the balconies in Cancun, Mexico do not conform to enforced (minimum 42 inches high) United States public building safety code standards." [which would force a shut-down of any U.S. hotel] "Mexico authorities allow this in order not to obstruct the ocean views." [Anthony Kleiber, U.S. Consular Office, Cancun, Mexico, May 18, 2000]

http://www.tomflocco...alconyDeath.htm

Here's an article from this month:

In Majorca and Ibiza there have been nine cases this year - already matching figures for 2011 - despite it only being half way through the season, an FCO spokesman said.

Most incidents have involved people aged between 18 and 35 with alcohol often playing a part, he added.

http://www.dailymail...rs-dangers.html

Edited by IsaanUSA

Thailand should get a new nickname. Instead of the "Land of Smiles," it should be called the "Land of the Falling Farang." I have never read of so many people, especially of one particular race, falling off of balconies anywhere else in the world. Maybe the wind and gravity are much stronger in Thailand???

Land of the falling farang, hehe :)

Of course most of these jumps are suspicious. Theres a farang "jumping" from a balcony every other day in Thailand.

Leading cause of death for farang's in Thailand!

This thread claims it's from motor vehicles

I think it is best to stay in a resort style hotel with ground floor chalets and rooms then you can drink and argue til your hearts content.

Just pick one without a pool

Edited by MrRed
  • Like 1

I have been pi**** plenty of times on my balcony and didnt fall. Instead I went downstairs and gave the cashier a dam_n good pounding upstairs. This guy must have been so drunk he couldnt control himself or other forces were at work. I suspect the latter.

I have been pi**** plenty of times on my balcony and didnt fall. Instead I went downstairs and gave the cashier a dam_n good pounding upstairs. This guy must have been so drunk he couldnt control himself or other forces were at work. I suspect the latter.

Yes I also suspect he had strong emotional influences. Anger/sadness/depression. Those do not mix well with alcohol

I can not remember any country I have been to that has had more of these type of things happening. They heard another voive coming from his room? Maybe he was set up then he was pushed

You forgot about the Golden Gate Bridge? 30 in a year is not uncommon. 2006 = 34. That's bodies recovered, but with the strong currents bodies are often not recovered so the true number cannot be known. It's the most popular place in the world to jump. Some people travel quite a distance to do it there.

There's a suicide hotline on the bridge.

Edited by tropo

Vladimir has a newly issued passport - about 15 days old.

Has he travelled to Thailand or from out behind the Iron Curtain before?

It is possible that Vladimir fits a profile, and that as such may have been working and experienced his "fall" as a result of not being in Thailand under a work Visa.

But in all seriousness, he has a new passport and has the correct age, and racial demographic to be undertaking black market business in Thailand. I go with the idea that CCTV footage of the hotel and any surrounding area cameras needs to be looked at, as well as if any guests were reported checking in/out of the victims room during the stay. Where did the victim frequent, who were his associates etc. Unless he had a very loud speaker, nobody is going to hear a second voice shouting with Vladimir over the phone. They however would throw the phone causing it to smash in a struggle when Vladimir was calling "whoever" for help, right before a few baht was given so that the visit was never recorded.

Vladimir has a newly issued passport - about 15 days old.

Has he travelled to Thailand or from out behind the Iron Curtain before?

It is possible that Vladimir fits a profile, and that as such may have been working and experienced his "fall" as a result of not being in Thailand under a work Visa.

But in all seriousness, he has a new passport and has the correct age, and racial demographic to be undertaking black market business in Thailand. I go with the idea that CCTV footage of the hotel and any surrounding area cameras needs to be looked at, as well as if any guests were reported checking in/out of the victims room during the stay. Where did the victim frequent, who were his associates etc. Unless he had a very loud speaker, nobody is going to hear a second voice shouting with Vladimir over the phone. They however would throw the phone causing it to smash in a struggle when Vladimir was calling "whoever" for help, right before a few baht was given so that the visit was never recorded.

I agree.,.. this one was more likely homicide that suicide.