Affirmation Of Freedom To Marry

TheGoose

I just saved the PDF example from the UK Embassy in Bangkok website to my hard drive after viewing it in Adobe Reader. I don't have the full Adobe Acrobat software to update the document so I cut & pasted the wording into a Word document which I then amended, is this approach okay ? I also noticed from the sample there is a g) & a (g), should these be left like this or should the (g) be updated to h) ? Finally, in (g) it says "(in country of nationality)", should this be left as it is or do you replace country of nationality with "(in UK)" or "(UK)" ?

Sorry for the questions but I've read on here of a few people who have had problems when they have went to the embassy for the first time & had to redo them. I just want to ensure it's correct first time & therefore should only require the one visit.

i updated g to h

did exactly as you did and copied to word

also changed Bangkok embassy to pattaya consulate as i got it from there

my g) says

I propose the following people for reference purposes if it is necessary to verify the

above details

and my h) is the 2 references

no section says 'in country of nationality'

i now have the affirmation stamped by the consulate and am going to the MFA in BKK tomorrow morning

do i need to take anything with me other than the affirmation for translation then certifying

i'm sure i read about photos of where we live were needed and other things , ir is that for the marriage ?

all i am getting done tommorow is getting everything in order to take to the up country amphur so want to make sure i have what is needed to hand

AFFIRMATION OF FREEDOM TO MARRY

I xxxxx xxxxx holder of British passport No xxxxxxxx issued at xxx on

xx/xx/xxxx expiring on xx/xx/xxxx do solemnly and sincerely affirm that:

a) I am eligible to marry a Thai national according to Thai law.

b )I am of British nationality and I was born on xx/xx/xxxx in xxxxxxxxx

c) My father's name is xxxxxxxxxxxxxx and my mother's name is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

d) I am single and have not previously been married (or divorced, widowed etc)

e) I support 1 child from my previous relationships (or whatever you have or not)

f) My occupation is xxxxx and I have an income of £ xxxxx per month.

g) I propose the following people for reference purposes if it is necessary to verify the

above details.

1. Name: xxxxxxx

Address:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, UK

2. Name: xxxxxxxxx

Address: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, UK

h) My permanent address is:-

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Thailand

I confirm that all the above is true and correct.

Affirmed at the British Honorary Consulate in Pattaya (or embassy in bangkok)

this ......... day of .......... 20 ....) ………………………………………… (Signed)

Before me:

......................………………………………………………………………..

e) I support 1 child from my previous relationships (or whatever you have or not)

g) I propose the following people for reference purposes if it is necessary to verify the

above details.

Before me:

Just typed mines out similarly, cheers.

I've read you need two copies of both the English & Thai version of the affirmation ?

Edited by TheGoose
  • Like 1

above details.

Before me:

Just typed mines out similarly, cheers.

I've read you need two copies of both the English & Thai version of the affirmation ?

yes, That's what we did. It then has to be confirmed by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs, you can get this done yourself, same day for a premium + taxi, or do as we did, have it sent on to our address in darkest Isaan, took about a week (EMS). The officially approved translation service took care of this for us. We went to the Aphoe the next day and got it the deed done.

From Guidance for British nationals wishing to marry in Thailand:-

A step-by-step guide to the procedure on getting married in Thailand is as follows.

1. Affirmation of Freedom to Marry in Thailand (Please be aware: Under the Perjury Act (1911) it is a criminal offence to knowingly make a false declaration. Offenders face the possibility of a fine and/ or a jail sentence.)

• Please retype the affirmation including your details on one page in the same format as the attached sample and bring it in person to the Embassy to sign before a British Consular official.
  • We accept affirmations during Consular normal public opening hours (08:00 - 11:00 on Monday - Friday) An appointment for this service is not necessary.
  • We provide this service to British nationals only. The fee of Baht 3,250 per affirmation is payable.
  • Please bring with you to the Embassy your passport, as proof of identity, and evidence that any previous marriages have been dissolved/terminated (an appropriate death certificate or divorce certificate [for the UK a decree absolute from the court]. Certificates issued in a Third country outside UK and Thailand must be certified by the relevant British Embassy/Consulate or its respective Embassy in Thailand). Only the original evidence or a certified copy will be accepted – photocopies will not be accepted under any circumstances.

2. Have the affirmation translated into Thai

• Once the affirmation has been signed, you will need to have it translated into Thai. The British Embassy does not undertake the preparation or translation of documents. Many reputable translation companies advertise on the internet as well as in the Thai local press, and there are a number of companies within a short walk of the Embassy. Our staff are not allowed to recommend any particular firms in the private sector to the public.

3. Have the affirmation authenticated and translation certified

• All Thai Registrars will require authentication of the British Consular Official’s signature and certification of the Thai translation. This must be obtained from:

The Legalisation Division

Department of Consular Affairs

123 Chaeng Wattana Road,

Laksi District, Bangkok 10210

Tel : +66 (0) 2 575 1056–59, 0 2981 7171

Fax : +66 (0) 2 575 1054

Email :

(08:30 – 15:30 hrs)

4. Submit the document to the Registrar

• The affirmation and translation are then ready for submission to the registrar, who, if satisfied, will register the marriage and issue a Thai marriage certificate.

Does anyone know if there are any rules for section g where you give references ? My reason for asking is that my two live at the same address (my mum & my brother) & I wondered if this was advisable ?

they are not checked ..so put whatever you want .. i put my mother and a friend i have not seen in 10 years

also a play on words but it was accepted ..

accepted was

e) I support 1 child from this relationship

so no need to mention others if you do not wish

Does anyone know if there are any rules for section g where you give references ? My reason for asking is that my two live at the same address (my mum & my brother) & I wondered if this was advisable ?

they are not checked ..so put whatever you want .. i put my mother and a friend i have not seen in 10 years

also a play on words but it was accepted ..

accepted was

e) I support 1 child from this relationship

so no need to mention others if you do not wish

I just wondered if it was a better idea to use two different addresses ?

My affadavit would not save-print correctly due to paper size issues. Went to embassy and filled it out there.

Use full names

Use simple explanations, least words possible

I used MOM and Dad and used my US address all same (they are where I stay when I visit and my mail drop).

Use the translator in mfa bldg b400

I only needed 1 copy my pp.

Good luck with it all

Edited by bangkokburning