U.s. Woman Forced To Eat Maggots While Locked Up In Thai Prison For 9 Years

webfact

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The punishment wasnt harsh, i would prefer 9 years of eating maggots than 40 years in a comfortable prison.

It's probably part of her staple diet now - maggots are just so versatile eg: maggot pie, ideal as a pizza topping, sprinkle them on your cereal, add to salads etc: and all that protein, this should be classified as a 'super food'!!!

Good chance she has an untreated thyroid condition.

From my understanding it is impossible to be obese by any method other than feeding your mouth.

Then you're understanding is incorrect.

I (slowly) put on a lot of weight over a number of years - even though I ate v little.

Being diagnosed as having an under-active thyroid didn't help, and it was a couple of years later (after paying for a private consultant), I was diagnosed as being insulin resistant.... Receiving treatment for this, I lost a couple of stone in a few months.

Fat is just stored energy, your body can not create energy out of thin air. There might be some slight fluctuations in terms of how your body ingests or expels energy, but only a little.

Exactly thumbsup.gif Its a simple mass and energy balance - blaming it on hormones of any description is a kop-out.

And this lady must have been over-eating for quite a period of time to pack away that amount of fat blink.png.

She was caught trying to smuggle heroin. When questioned she admitted she didn't use. So her intention was to make a profit. She like many others think or imply they are the victims because they get caught and go to prison. You look at her facebook page and now she implies she is a celebrity because she was highlited on Banged up abroad

It's ridiculous that people are focusing on Ms. Carnegie's weight instead of the issue at hand. Perhaps she has a thyroid condition, or some other medical problem. You can't judge this woman only due to her weight. She never claimed she was starved while in prison, she only said the food had maggots in it. I doubt this prison had exercise facilities, nutrition classes, or any type of improvement for inmates. The history of prisons and how prisoners are treated is actually fascinating, it shows more about the society than the crimes the prisoners commit. Maybe it's really a view to Thai cuisine outside of the tourist restaurant business.

• Like 1

Western mules do it out of greed and laziness. Most often they really dont receive a lot of money for smuggling. They could earn the same amount in 6 months working 9 to 5. They have non existant impulse control and judgement, risking many years of your life for an amount of money you could save up during 6 months of 9 to 5.

Exactly how was she "forced" to eat maggots.

Who "forced " her: the other inmates, the warders ?

Surely, eating is an optional activity, unless she was being force fed - which is doubtful.

Another case of dodgy journalism ?

• Like 1

Why do they let these scumbags out after only a short time. She didnt care about the problems her actions would inflict on others so she should still be rotting there now!!!

A typical ignorant quote from some people, OK do the crime serve your time but that is no excuse for the way many people are treated here in prison. So she was stupid to do it but not knowing the whole circumstances is it right to pass judgement. We all make mistakes sometime in our life but with support we recover, others without help do not. Have some pity, and yes obviously a Thyroid problem. Most Thai people pay a lot of money for maggots.

Maggots are a delicacy in many African countries. In India they find eating cow meat repulsive. Theres nothing wrong with eating maggots, its not what shes used to eat though tongue.png

Yes but the maggots are in the prison food probably because the food itself is rotting. That's bad.

• Like 1

"Carnegie, from Chicago, was in her twenties and had just broken up with a serious boyfriend. . . . ."

I, for the life of me, can not imagine why any 'serious' guy would possibly want to break-up with that . . . . . ? ? ? ? ?

Such a lovely, sensible and caring person ! ! !

giggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gif

cheesy.gif

This is the "Before", photo.whistling.gif

Well if that is the before pic, then I guess that prison life on just a few maggots was probably very benifical for her.

The Women's Program at Bangkok Hilton offers women an incredible weight loss vacation In the land of smiles. Fantastic weather, state-of-the-art fitness facilities, and with the natural beauty of the world famous Bangkok Hilton surrounding you, NOW is the time to invest in your own health and happiness. The Hilton's Women's Program is the perfect escape for you if you are looking to lose weight and revitalize your life.

The Hilton's expert fitness staff will work with you to design a weight loss plan based on your current fitness level and long-term weight loss goals. No need to worry about being pushed outside of your comfort zone or enduring hours of dull classes. The Hilton's professionals offer a dynamic range of fitness options to keep you moving and motivated, including personal training, aerobics, dance, Zumba, water aerobics, yoga, and weight training.

Our expert nutitionists are government certified and will design an eating plan to help you meet your goals. Not only do the warm friendly people of Thailand provide all this to you free of charge, our friendly staff will also make all travel arrangements to ensure you have a pleasent journey home. We care about you and hope you enjoy your stay.wink.png

You seen the after pic.......? Not such a good advert!

As said before, lucky to get out after 9 years.

Fortunate she didn't transit Singapore/ Malaysia or the Middle East.

In Saudi Arabia, they bring out the sword, quickly.

Don't they sell those maggots on the street ? Can't remember if I've tried them, but I guess deep fried they aren't half bad.

I've tried them. Those are cleaned and deep fried. Not feeding on the rotting food while it's served.

This is the "Before", photo.whistling.gif

Well if that is the before pic, then I guess that prison life on just a few maggots was probably very benifical for her.

The Women's Program at Bangkok Hilton offers women an incredible weight loss vacation In the land of smiles. Fantastic weather, state-of-the-art fitness facilities, and with the natural beauty of the world famous Bangkok Hilton surrounding you, NOW is the time to invest in your own health and happiness. The Hilton's Women's Program is the perfect escape for you if you are looking to lose weight and revitalize your life.

The Hilton's expert fitness staff will work with you to design a weight loss plan based on your current fitness level and long-term weight loss goals. No need to worry about being pushed outside of your comfort zone or enduring hours of dull classes. The Hilton's professionals offer a dynamic range of fitness options to keep you moving and motivated, including personal training, aerobics, dance, Zumba, water aerobics, yoga, and weight training.

Our expert nutitionists are government certified and will design an eating plan to help you meet your goals. Not only do the warm friendly people of Thailand provide all this to you free of charge, our friendly staff will also make all travel arrangements to ensure you have a pleasent journey home. We care about you and hope you enjoy your stay.wink.png

You seen the after pic.......? Not such a good advert!

As said before, lucky to get out after 9 years.

Fortunate she didn't transit Singapore/ Malaysia or the Middle East.

In Saudi Arabia, they bring out the sword, quickly.

If she had been arrested on arrival to the US she would have been banged up for at least 30 years.

Ms Carnegie doesn't really look malnutritioned to me... (wow, it rhymes!)

This however is how heroin addicts look before and after

article-0-0D566FA6000005DC-641_634x364.jpg

drugs-woman-2_1834000i.jpg

Any questions?

Our "poor" forced to eat maggots drug smuggler should have done the time she was supposed to (which is life) without the possibility of parole to have enough free hours to reflect on the question of "how many lifes the smuggled Heroin would have destroyed permanently". In addition it would have given her ample time to inform herself (by reading some non-mainstream books) about who the real big drug smugglers are who actually use naive people like her as patsies while the real stuff is shipped in by big containers on a daily basis...

The funny thing is that they all believe they wouldn't get caught, just like the drug addicts believe they could easily stop tomorrow if they wanted to, but they simply aren't up to it yet...

I don't feel sorry for her at all and can have no sympathy whatsoever for a heroin smuggler - regardless of being a first timer or pro. I also feel a bit uneasy about the series banged up abroad, etc. since it gives me the eerie feeling that any drug dealer (big or small) can become a national hero or celebrity all of a sudden. If that isn't wrong, what is?

Edited by catweazle

Ahh - seems she managed to get a job in the prison bakery while she was there (as per her FB page), maybe that explains a few things (must have been baking for the staff, 'cause she supposedly only ate rice and maggots for 9 years. Yeah, right.)

"Public Figure

I'm Angela Carnegie and I am currently being featured on the National Geographic series Locked Up Abroad. I spent 9 years in the infamous Bangkok Hilton."

Edited by Kerryd

Surely, eating is an optional activity, unless she was being force fed - which is doubtful.

Or if it is very disgusting you eat just enough to survive. You see on the picture that the food didn't taste too bad.

Why do they let these scumbags out after only a short time. She didnt care about the problems her actions would inflict on others so she should still be rotting there now!!!

Yeah, none of the people who use those drugs had any choice whatsoever in the matter.

I wonder if there are any other ways the government can intrude into my life to protect me from my own decisions? We should ban everything just in case.

+1

I would think that, in this instance, forced to eat maggots, means she was prevented from choosing McDonald

article-2195072-14BAF8D2000005DC-526_634x936.jpg

Her after 9 years in prison. She must have loved those maggots.

looks like she ate the other prisoners to me

Have to agree she looks like she ate very, very well in the Hilton. Just how bloody big was she before she went in?