Benefits To International Driving Permit?

TXBeth

I have found conflicting information, and much of it is fairly old. Is there any benefit to obtaining an international license rather than just coming with our US licenses? Does it allow you to skip the written and driving tests? I'm posting in the CM forum, thinking there may be differences in how the things are handled at different offices.

Thanks for any help you can give! We have one month before our departure, so enough time to get international permits if it would be helpful.

I have found conflicting information, and much of it is fairly old. Is there any benefit to obtaining an international license rather than just coming with our US licenses? Does it allow you to skip the written and driving tests? I'm posting in the CM forum, thinking there may be differences in how the things are handled at different offices.

Thanks for any help you can give! We have one month before our departure, so enough time to get international permits if it would be helpful.

Some transport offices will accept your US license without the IP. All will accept with. Some also require a visa rather than an entry.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

You don't mention is you are coming here as a tourist with no visa required for 30 days or if you are coming with a visa valid for 60 plus days depending on the type of visa. Legally you cannot drive here unless you have an international drivers license or a Thai license. The problem with an international drivers license if you have an accident the police may or may not say it is your fault even if your are not at fault. If you are coming to Thailand for an extended period of time it is easy to obtain a Thai driving license. Providing that you have a valid license from your home country the following is required. Letter from immigration to verify your address in Thailand cost 500 bahts..Health certificate from doctor or hospital cost 30 - 100 bahts. Cost of license is 200 bahts. At the license bureau you take 2 tests one to test your reflexes when braking. The other to test your perception of colour, red-yellow-green..All of this can be done within a half day.

We will be on a one-year multiple entry non-immigrant "O" visa, with plans in place to gain a work permit within that first year. So we will be long-term residents and will apply for a Thai license as soon as possible. Thanks so much for the info! A gentleman at the Thai church we visited here (American with Thai wife) was insisting we needed an international license before leaving, but I thought I had read that a US license would work just as well, at least in Chiang Mai. They are from Isaan though, so maybe procedures are a bit different there. We won't bother with the hassle and expense of the international permit.

Thanks again!

the thai license is the way to go as it is also a legal id !

you don't have to carry your passport-i just got a ticket at the airport

and hadn't even thought about it when she asked me but i just gave her my license

many dual priced thai venues will give you the thai price if you tell them and show the license

Good to know some one said to me today with your driving license from your country and a internation one you just do a eye test and test your reflexes when braking said to bring all the other paper work like Letter from immigration to verify your address and Dr. report said very easy to do. Some one else said that he had his driver license from England had to take the written one ,after the 3 time he got it.

• 1 month later...

the thai license is the way to go as it is also a legal id !

you don't have to carry your passport-i just got a ticket at the airport

and hadn't even thought about it when she asked me but i just gave her my license

many dual priced thai venues will give you the thai price if you tell them and show the license

True, you can use your Thai DL for many things, including domestic flights. However, this does not absolve you of your responsibility to be able to produce your passport to a competent official in order to prove you are in the country legally. There are actually two laws covering ID's/passports in Thailand. The Thai ID act and immigration law. The Thai ID card act is what requires Thai's to carry their ID cards at all times, but this also applies to foreigners and their passports, and immigration law requires foreigners be able to prove they entered Thailand legally.

Legally you cannot drive here unless you have an international drivers license or a Thai license.

Untrue. For most people you can drive in Thailand with your home license if it's in English and has a photo. Most countries are contracting states to the 1949 UN Convention on traffic act. Thai law says if there is a treaty in place governing mutual acceptance of drivers licenses (ie the UN Convention) then you can drive as long as you are a tourist.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/other/dfat/treaties/1955/2.html

http://www.unece.org/trans/conventn/legalinst_07_RTRSS_RT1949.html

http://bangkok.angloinfo.com/information/transport/driving-licences

The problem with an international drivers license if you have an accident the police may or may not say it is your fault even if your are not at fault.

So you're saying that with a foreign license with an IDP (or without for that matter) you will be found at fault simply because you are a foreigner? That is an urban legend perpetuated by drunk beer bar conversation and internet forums.

CM DMV will use your US state issued license as proof of your ability to drive. You only have to do basic vision and reaction tests. The IDP will be a waste in you case.

Phuket also, although they did ask me to print out the page from the DMV website which explains what "class C M1" meant. An IDP would have done that too.

I had one when I first arrived here but think about it....just how many Thai police read English? Besides, if you get stopped for anything, just have the 500 Baht insurance policy....a 500 Baht bill tucked away to give anyone that might take it. They will smile and go away...or not. Guess it depends on what you did. Good luck...pg

I had one when I first arrived here but think about it....just how many Thai police read English? Besides, if you get stopped for anything, just have the 500 Baht insurance policy....a 500 Baht bill tucked away to give anyone that might take it. They will smile and go away...or not. Guess it depends on what you did. Good luck...pg

Going on 12 years here I have never once had to do thisonce. Why not just get legal? It's not difficult.

Legally you cannot drive here unless you have an international drivers license or a Thai license.

Untrue. For most people you can drive in Thailand with your home license if it's in English and has a photo. Most countries are contracting states to the 1949 UN Convention on traffic act. Thai law says if there is a treaty in place governing mutual acceptance of drivers licenses (ie the UN Convention) then you can drive as long as you are a tourist.

http://www.austlii.e...ies/1955/2.html

http://www.unece.org...RSS_RT1949.html

http://bangkok.anglo...riving-licences

The problem with an international drivers license if you have an accident the police may or may not say it is your fault even if your are not at fault.

So you're saying that with a foreign license with an IDP (or without for that matter) you will be found at fault simply because you are a foreigner? That is an urban legend perpetuated by drunk beer bar conversation and internet forums.

Urban legend.... I know from experience with the police in Chiang Mai.