Sausage & Mash With Onion Gravy On Special

butterisbetter

Well I must have had a lucky escape (from the peas) this afternoon. A good sized portion - just like in the photo at the begining of the thread. My only picky comment would be that I prefer my gravy to runnier but the flavour was there so thanks for a good bangers & mash.

Off at a tangent I recall one occasion in The Clubhouse on Loy Kroh (long since closed) being served apple pie and custard garnished with a sprig of parsley. Each to their own I suppose smile.png

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Next time I will try and make it less thick. I do appreciate feedback from people who are familiar with British cookery since I am not.

Eggs Benedict, it happens, were what I ordered recently, and I found them real. Their quality was very good with none of that false artificial flavor you find in mass-produced servings, The muffin, of course, was home made and doubtless different from those frozen types, filled with salt, that chain restaurants serve. We can chase the subject of meats to the end of time, but I regret to admit that I did not take enough time with the eggs to discover if they had been laid within the hour; I'm going back.

Yet I agree that the absence of lemon (or much of it to enjoy) was a lesser disappointment. I shall request it next visit.

As is the case of this OP/sponsor, I'm not familiar with Cumberland sausages in their home. Thus, what I liked about them was the feeling that I wasn't eating a mass of fat, and I was about as far as one can get from the millions of local Thai sausages sold every day hereabouts. Nevertheless, it is true that much of the pleasure in eating with B is B is subtle and nuanced, not styled to hit us on the head like those Mike's still serving in remaining chow joints.

Edited by CMX

For a limited time we are offering - practically giving away - Cumberland Sausage (2 pieces) with Mashed Potatoes & Onion Gravy. 95 baht.cumberland_sausage_with_mash_potatoes_and_onion_gravy-small_image.jpg

Well I tried them yesterday, after looking forward to them all week, and was quite disappointed.

First thing I noticed was the smell when it first came out, something, most probably the onions, smelled fermented or slightly off; I tasted the gravy and it wasn't too bad so I forged ahead. The mash was lumpy, but nice, and the peas had been under-rehydrated (see the photo), but the worst thing was that the sausages appeared to not have been cooked to order, but reheated. If you look at the photo, you can tell by the absence of any fats on the ends - this was more evident inside - that the sausages had been pre-cooked and (under)reheated. Their flavour was good though, but would've been better with some fats to stimulate the taste buds...

post-140809-0-31450500-1347155746_thumb.

After this disappointment, I just sat there feeling empty - I'd been looking forward to this dish all week, and was let down badly. Not wanting my culinary experience in Chiang Mai to end this way, I waited for half an hour and then ordered a Pastrami Rueben, my first ever... OMG! It was amazing! So amazing that I almost ordered a second one! The bread was warm and delicious, the pastrami was melt-in-your-mouth perfection, and even the sauerkraut, something I don't usually eat, was delicious! I ate half as it came, and the second half with the coleslaw and dressing that came with it - both versions were amazing. Lucky I'm leaving Chiang Mai today or I could easily become addicted!

I'm sure you won't take the bangers and mash review as a complaint, in this business you can't satisfy all the people all the time with all of your offerings, and you do seem to take on board all positive and negative comments. In the end though it doesn't matter, as I will definitely be recommending Butter is Better to any friends visiting Chiang Mai. That Rueben is to die for.

One needs balls of steel to open a restaurant in Chiang Mai. The brutal reviews by people in this city are unlike anything I've ever seen anywhere else in the world. If someone's 'toast' is not toasted to their liking they will eat you up and spit you out and bad-rap you as much as they can. We all know some of the reviews are from jealous competitors, but not all.

Butter is Better is pretty easy-going and tolerates it pretty well. The one poster who took a shot at him (and was way OTT) ended up on permanent vacation from the forum. People who haven't even tried the Spanish restaurant mentioned in another thread are already taking a shot at it. Why would people want to damage the potential business from what seems like an interesting restaurant here in the city? I don't get it.

For a limited time we are offering - practically giving away - Cumberland Sausage (2 pieces) with Mashed Potatoes & Onion Gravy. 95 baht.cumberland_sausage_with_mash_potatoes_and_onion_gravy-small_image.jpg

Well I tried them yesterday, after looking forward to them all week, and was quite disappointed.

First thing I noticed was the smell when it first came out, something, most probably the onions, smelled fermented or slightly off; I tasted the gravy and it wasn't too bad so I forged ahead. The mash was lumpy, but nice, and the peas had been under-rehydrated (see the photo), but the worst thing was that the sausages appeared to not have been cooked to order, but reheated. If you look at the photo, you can tell by the absence of any fats on the ends - this was more evident inside - that the sausages had been pre-cooked and (under)reheated. Their flavour was good though, but would've been better with some fats to stimulate the taste buds...

After this disappointment, I just sat there feeling empty - I'd been looking forward to this dish all week, and was let down badly. Not wanting my culinary experience in Chiang Mai to end this way, I waited for half an hour and then ordered a Pastrami Rueben, my first ever... OMG! It was amazing! So amazing that I almost ordered a second one! The bread was warm and delicious, the pastrami was melt-in-your-mouth perfection, and even the sauerkraut, something I don't usually eat, was delicious! I ate half as it came, and the second half with the coleslaw and dressing that came with it - both versions were amazing. Lucky I'm leaving Chiang Mai today or I could easily become addicted!

I'm sure you won't take the bangers and mash review as a complaint, in this business you can't satisfy all the people all the time with all of your offerings, and you do seem to take on board all positive and negative comments. In the end though it doesn't matter, as I will definitely be recommending Butter is Better to any friends visiting Chiang Mai. That Rueben is to die for.

Actually, I was thinking that the Cumberland Sausage might be a little bit too lean this time. It's a mix of shoulder butt and pork belly. And you have to eyeball the meat each time to adjust for fat. It still tasted good to me but it's possible that I'm slightly prejudiced. I will check into the mashed potatoes and peas.

As for the Reuben, I'd like to pick a fight with you over your review, but I'll let it pass. Seriously, when I first made corned beef, I did it more or less on a lark. (Pastrami is essentially smoked corned beef coated with spices.) I didn't think it would taste very good. I was shocked by how good it was. As were several customers I shared it with. I think it tastes better than what you get at most delis nowadays in New York. Their stuff tastes like they're getting it from Boar's Head or some similar corporation. Stuff that's injected with cure and then put in a tumbler for a few hours. Of course, I exempt places like Katz's and similar old time delis.

At those places, you used to pay the guy slicing the sandwich to give you especially fatty pieces. In fact, there is some delicacy which consisted of corned beef fate dusted with paprika and roasted at a low temperature in the oven. In corned beef, the fat is where the flavor lies.

One needs balls of steel to open a restaurant in Chiang Mai. The brutal reviews by people in this city are unlike anything I've ever seen anywhere else in the world. If someone's 'toast' is not toasted to their liking they will eat you up and spit you out and bad-rap you as much as they can. We all know some of the reviews are from jealous competitors, but not all.

Butter is Better is pretty easy-going and tolerates it pretty well. The one poster who took a shot at him (and was way OTT) ended up on permanent vacation from the forum. People who haven't even tried the Spanish restaurant mentioned in another thread are already taking a shot at it. Why would people want to damage the potential business from what seems like an interesting restaurant here in the city? I don't get it.

Actually, I thought I had intimidated that party into silence. I was disappointed to find out that he was banned. It turned out that he also went ballistic on a thread about an admittedly controversial topic: rolling coins for banks. Can't say that I blame him. How many brave men and women have sacrificed their lives so that we can roll coins in freedom?

As for the Reuben, I'd like to pick a fight with you over your review, but I'll let it pass.

You'd like to pick a fight with me over my review of the Reuben?!?

As for the Reuben, I'd like to pick a fight with you over your review, but I'll let it pass.

He doesn't want people to think that they are small enough for people to eat sausages and then fit in two reubins.

The sentence that followed began with "Seriously..." Anyway it was meant to be a joke. Apparently I have a gift for making jokes that aren't funny.

Apparently I have a gift for making jokes that aren't funny.

Don't worry, that's all too easy in written communication. That being said, if my review seemed "brutal", I apologise; it wasn't intended as such.

Anyway, back to that Reuben - I so wish I'd discovered it earlier, but, thankfully, there's a wave sweeping across Melbourne... http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/restaurants-and-bars/well-have-what-shes-having-20120903-259kl.html Happy times indeed!

I was late in getting there to sample it but I finally managed to get to BiB and try the Cumberland, my verdict is that it's as good as any you'll find anywhere in Asia and probably a lot better than many you'll find being produced en mass in the UK currently, highly recommended. Was also pleased to see that the eggs benedict at BiB is still very high quality.