Tollway Crash Teenager Gets Two-Year Suspended Sentence

Lite Beer

It is good to see that Thailand protects children and adhere's to the treaty on the rights of the child. Especially regarding youngsters the aim of the law is not to punish, but to correct wrong behaviour.

Let's not forget this isn't murder, as some seem to want to make out of it. It was a very, very tragic accident. And don't forget that driving by minors is not exactly rare in Thailand and it are often the adults who fail to act against it.

Mario

I have absolutely no problem with the appropriate adults/parents being held responsible for the actions of the 'child' driver in this case. The thing is that those adults should then be banged up and serve some real jail time. Until the courts send out a message of deterrence that will make adults think twice before giving their under age offspring the keys to a 100 mph killing machine then children will continue to drive vehicles, unlicensed and at speed in Thailand.

• Like 2

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what permeates this thread, is the majority of posters, have that same resigned feeling of hoplesness that this corrupt judicial system will never change.

"rage against the machine" no we seem to be resigned to it, just as most thais seem to be, thailand is a fuedal and almost medieval society.

I must be reading it wrong?What i am reading is two years in jail but the the actual imprisonment is suspended for three

years?

The headline and the article are not saying the same thing ,the way i understand it she actually has to go to jail?

You can actually be sentenced but have that sentence suspended for a period of time. The way this works is that the girl has 2 years imprisonment hanging over her head for 3 years. She has to be a model citizen for those 3 years. If she trips up she will serve the time in prison plus be charged with the offence of Breaching a Suspended Sentence and the charge that caused her to breach the suspended sentence. ie do the prison time and possibly more for other offences.

Yes, people are dead. It was horrible, but she is a minor, and now she will have to live the rest of her life knowing all the pain and suffering she has caused. It was an accident, and I am sure the mini bus diver was driving at high speeds as well. Just because the diver of the van is deceased does not mean they did not contribute to the accident. We all have done stupid things when we were teenagers, so it amazes me that everyone here posts as if they are all saints.

A number of posts comment on the girl's age. 16 is the age many people start work, are allowed to drink alcohol, and consent to adult relationships in various countries. This girl was illegally driving, late and on her own. The reports don't mention what her activities were before the accident, or wether any tests were taken for drugs. However, she hardly appears to fit the image of a "16 year old innocent minor" who made one mistake.

How do you know if the mini bus driver was speeding? There has been nothing reported to indicate the driver did anything wrong, or contributed to this appalling accident.

This girl chose to ignore the law and drive whilst underage and without a driving license, was known to enjoy speeding (so presumably had a track record of driving known to her mum), drove recklessly and dangerously, and was responsible for an accident resulting in 9 deaths. She has received an incredibly light sentence due to her family's prominence and influence. She has shown no remorse and this sentence is unlikely to act in a correctional manner or as a deterent for others.

Justice is different for the rich and the poor. Sadly, this is true in many countries not just Thailand. If this girl had been the passenger in a car, driven by a qualified driver, and had been killed or injured in an accident attributed to a poor person, I wonder what the sentence would have been then.

• Like 1

Yes, people are dead. It was horrible, but she is a minor, and now she will have to live the rest of her life knowing all the pain and suffering she has caused. It was an accident, and I am sure the mini bus diver was driving at high speeds as well. Just because the diver of the van is deceased does not mean they did not contribute to the accident. We all have done stupid things when we were teenagers, so it amazes me that everyone here posts as if they are all saints.

A number of posts comment on the girl's age. 16 is the age many people start work, are allowed to drink alcohol, and consent to adult relationships in various countries. This girl was illegally driving, late and on her own. The reports don't mention what her activities were before the accident, or wether any tests were taken for drugs. However, she hardly appears to fit the image of a "16 year old innocent minor" who made one mistake.

How do you know if the mini bus driver was speeding? There has been nothing reported to indicate the driver did anything wrong, or contributed to this appalling accident.

This girl chose to ignore the law and drive whilst underage and without a driving license, was known to enjoy speeding (so presumably had a track record of driving known to her mum), drove recklessly and dangerously, and was responsible for an accident resulting in 9 deaths. She has received an incredibly light sentence due to her family's prominence and influence. She has shown no remorse and this sentence is unlikely to act in a correctional manner or as a deterent for others.

Justice is different for the rich and the poor. Sadly, this is true in many countries not just Thailand. If this girl had been the passenger in a car, driven by a qualified driver, and had been killed or injured in an accident attributed to a poor person, I wonder what the sentence would have been then.

I agree with a lot of what you say. You're quite right.

However, whatever age people start work at, drink alcohol at or have relationships at in other countries isn't relevant to what age you are legally considered to be an adult in Thailand.

That age is 18.

Sorry, but how other countries view a person and their role in society at what age is an irrelevancy. In India children are forced to work from 6 years old. Are they adults?

If you commit a crime in Thailand under 14, according to the Thai penal code, (amazingly) they cannot prosecute you. Between 14 and 18 you're treated as youth and not sent to an adult prison, but a Thai correctional facility.

She was 16 when she committed the crime. Therefore she should have been held on remand at the facility until the trial, there's no way you should be held on bail for killing 9 people whilst driving illegally.

Then when they passed sentencing, which should have been a mandatory prison sentence, she'd have been allowed to leave owing to time already served.

She should never be allowed to get behind the wheel of a car again. Her family can easily afford her transportation for life. It could potentially save other people's lives.

She obviously seems to think that she's above the law and that the mass manslaughter of innocent commuters isn't such a big deal. That kind of person shouldn't be allowed to drive.

What's the most amazing thing to me, as rixalex pointed out, she went through the whole trial maintaining that there was no culpability on her part. I thought she pleaded guilty and it was this that led to the lenient sentencing.

Hell, she even talked the BiB through her slaughter.

How can you crash into a van and ram it almost off an overpass, some of its passengers to their deaths off an overpass and it not be your fault?

I want her to do time even more now.

I despair for cases like this I really do.

Money and elitism talks.

Edited by ManInSurat

Makes no difference if a minor or not...when you are behind the wheel you are responsible.....It was a stupid accident like so many in this Country from lack of driving skills.

She must be a big boss daughter............she should get life in JAIL

Her father is a high up policeman. Say no more.

As for life in jail, i'm not in favour of that personally. A crime of this sort i think putting something back into the community would serve a much greater purpose. Unfortunately though, i don't believe community service can ever be enforced here. If you have money, there will always be someone somewhere along the chain who can help you get out of it. Much as happens with rich boys avoiding conscription to the army. So i don't know what the solution is with the girl.

The parents would be much easier. They are the ones who punishment should be focused on.

No doubt payments were made for the reduction of jail time, but were payments also made to the victims/families? Or would that be opening a can of worms ... As Mario points out, it was not a pre-meditated murder, simply a stupid kid and a tragic mistake/accident. But there still has to be some level of justice, and compensation is part of that system and there is no mention of that.

Who are you suggesting payment were made? The Judges? The Prosecutor? Of course they hired what they thought was the best lawyer for the case within their means but that is common sense. I just wonder what makes you think there was some other payoff.

You seem to be a bit naive. How well are you acquainted with the Thai justice system ?

I am not at all surprised, just driving around Thailand as I have been the last few months I am shocked at the lack driving skills and total disregard for other road users.

A very selfish attitude prevails, and I think it is a general attitude by Thai males, but may be wrong.

No doubt payments were made for the reduction of jail time, but were payments also made to the victims/families? Or would that be opening a can of worms ... As Mario points out, it was not a pre-meditated murder, simply a stupid kid and a tragic mistake/accident. But there still has to be some level of justice, and compensation is part of that system and there is no mention of that.

Who are you suggesting payment were made? The Judges? The Prosecutor? Of course they hired what they thought was the best lawyer for the case within their means but that is common sense. I just wonder what makes you think there was some other payoff.

You seem to be a bit naive. How well are you acquainted with the Thai justice system ?

It is common practice for police to decide compensation payable and arrange for collection of term payments. The injured party collects from the police station 3rd or 4th day of the month, minus 10% commission.

You fail to answer the simply question of who payments were made to for the sentence. Their lawyer or Providing compensation to victims (a way to get a reduced sentence anywhere) ? I am obviously a lot more familiar than you if you somehow believe it is common for a bribe to be paid to judges or prosecutors to get reduced sentences.

She got reduced sentencing just for giving testimony to the police about what occured. She talked them through as they weren't really sure what happened.

Considering she's insisted she was not to blame for any of the event (which makes me really angry) how can they take her version of events at face value, let alone reduce her sentence.

That in itself is disgusting.

The fact you're so familiar with Thai life should make you more familiar with how much there is a culture of bribes here and who they are paid to at which point of the whole process.

The fact you don't know this shows you to know less than you profess to do.

You've got your apologist hat on Nisa. Please take it off.

There's no way in the world, even at 16, someone driving illegaly, mass manslaughtering 9 people should have been given a 2 year suspended sentence after not having spent any time on remand.

She's never set foot in a correctional facility, never will and will be back driving before the whole ban is served.

That's the outrageous part. Well all of it's outrageous really, but some parts are more outrageous than others.

Mostly that she believes in her mind she not culpable in any way.

I'd love to slap her spoilt little rich killer's face. Just once. Quite hard.

Edited by ManInSurat

Nisa, you will know that when the police write up their report for review /action by the prosecutors office tea money is often requested & paid to dilute the responsibility of the offender and police recommendations for charges. Monies are sometimes also made available to the accused lawyer to "grease some wheels". I personally have seen this occur in the case of a Thai family member charged for drug offenses.

With regard to the teenage driver, the media reports states she has not apologised to the families of those who died & denied any wrongdoing even though she wasn't licensed to drive. I personally cannot see, from media reports, what she has learned from these legal proceeding that would lead to her taking any responsibility for her actions.

Actually the girl admitted to speeding but claimed the van cut in front of her. Actually she did apologies. As for charges by police, she was charged appropriately given the crime, circumstances and the fact she was charged as juvi which in every civilized country is not about punishment but about rehabilitation. Any money going to the police would have nothing to do with sentencing of the charges and the prosecutors are the ones who ultimately decide what charges to prosecute. So once again, I have to ask who do you think would have been paid off or "greased" ? The prosecutors office, the judges, the folks from the juvi probation department which couldn't say much more than the truth in that the girl has never been in trouble before, comes from a good home and the obvious that she felt a bit too privileged for hers (and others) own good.

If somebody is going to claim somebody paid somebody off or that the court system was corrupted in this case then say so and specify what you mean and back it up with some logic or reasoning.

If the surviving members do nothing, then why should I care. It wasn't my loved one or child slaughtered?

They accept this half completed form of justice, and that is good enough for me if it is good enough for them.

If they do not accept this half completed form of justice, then it should be their responsibility to use the very same laws of the land that got the girl justice to get their own justice. When one considers the law of this land (as it is clear that money buys justice), then it becomes clear what one must do. One must pursue the purchase of justice until justice can be accomplished completely. Otherwise, leave it be.

Sounds reasonable at first.

But who could afford to pursue the purchase of justice?

One must just accept that this is the way it is in Thailand.

Anyone in Thailand can afford to purchase justice, but only if you look beyond currency as being the means to the end. it is the character of that person and their commitment to the one they love; who suffered and could not fight back and are gone without a chance to have a say in the matter.

One must not accept that this is the way it is in Thailand unless one is willing to accept that not having a conscience and committing involuntary manslaughter and murder and crime in general are acceptable forms of behavior, just because a corrupt judge says so. Adding to that, one is simply accepting that these forms of behaviors may be performed with impunity and any counter-measures. No counter-measures equals the finality of a behavior, and hence that is the way to behave. Only the feeble-minded accept this and you will not find them in a fox-hole.

That many posters argue the verdict and express their anger and disgust tells me that there are counter-measures (yes; even after the fact) that should be engaged to send a message that government justice has become obsolete and defective.

Performing counter-measures takes the behavior one step further and makes those who commit or are thinking about committing those behaviors to step back and think twice before they commit to them; to engage their dormant conscience.

You might not accept the engagement of counter-measures, but then I cannot eliminate them or their potential for creating a conscience where there has not been one throughout this story. I am prepared to carry out counter measures in the event of something like this to send a message that this sort of behavior is not a finality and therefore the "way things are in Thailand" or anywhere else. We love those movies when people get theirs, but when it is reality we cow down and "accept" in fear of what would happen to us if we did the right thing. It gnaws at us until we die, or we put the truth as far from our minds as possible and euphemistically label it as "acceptance". We kill our conscience. That is perverted. The existence of evil depends on good men doing nothing; of being Thai.

Perhaps this girl did not do this intentionally (plan to slaughter 9 people) when she unconsciously turned over the ignition switch and unconsciously took the lives of 9 people. But when she consciously took it upon herself to escape her responsibility for the deaths that she caused, she became a murderer in my beliefs. When those people consciously defended her and helped her to avoid her responsibilities, they became the accomplices.

Every dog has one bite. I do not value my life above the conviction of using that one bite towards sending a message to murderers and their accomplices that they crossed the line. This kind of honor is no less of the kind you find in the soldier, all alone in the bush, putting his life on the line for a cause that makes evil step back and consciously rethink its intentions, as well as other evil thinkers to consciously re-prioritize their behaviors.

Throughout this entire affair, I seriously doubt that the girl, the judge, the defense attorney or her family ever once engaged in an act of conscience towards the lives lost or the ones left to mourn. I cannot accept that, and would not accept that were someone I loved involved. I do everything I can to prevent that from happening, but I do not remove it from my list of duty and honor as a human being.

That is my opinionated rant for the day, yet I do it out of self-respect and respect towards the dead.

She got reduced sentencing just for giving testimony to the police about what occured. She talked them through as they weren't really sure what happened.

Considering she's insisted she was not to blame for any of the event (which makes me really angry) how can they take her version of events at face value, let alone reduce her sentence.

That in itself is disgusting.

The fact you're so familiar with Thai life should make you more familiar with how much there is a culture of bribes here and who they are paid to at which point of the whole process.

The fact you don't know this shows you to know less than you profess to do.

You've got your apologist hat on Nisa. Please take it off.

There's no way in the world, even at 16, someone driving illegaly, mass manslaughtering 9 people should have been given a 2 year suspended sentence after not having spent any time on remand.

She's never set foot in a correctional facility, never will and will be back driving before the whole ban is served.

That's the outrageous part. Well all of it's outrageous really, but some parts are more outrageous than others.

Mostly that she believes in her mind she not culpable in any way.

I'd love to slap her spoilt little rich killer's face. Just once. Quite hard.

The only thing you seem familiar with is nonsense posted here.

If an accused in Thailand admits their guilt it almost always results in up to a 50% sentence reduction and if they attempt to make restitution and show remorse then it is up to another 50% sentence reduction. She received 1/3 off her sentence because she admitted to driving illegally and speeding but she felt (at least claimed) the van driver cut her off. She showed remorse and cooperated and got a reduction in sentence.

Do you even have a clue what the juvenile justice system if for and about? I suggest you do some research. Even in the US where they can be extremely harsh, you can sentence a kid as a juvi to jail time beyond their 21st birthday even if the time is suspended. I assume the girl is over 18 now and that would be a sentence of 3-years.

Again there is absolutely NOTHING to indicate any illegal payments were made to get this sentence and every indication to believe there wasn't. People need to use their freaking brains. If there was some payoff they simply could have thrown the case out on technicality or had it never seen the light of day in court. It really is time for some people to actually learn about Thailand from other sources beyond bitter, unhappy and insecure posters on the internet.

Paying a 200 baht bribe to a very underpaid street cop is a lot different than accusing the Thai courts of being corrupt .. biased in some cases, like everywhere, yes as that is just human nature but to accuse the courts of corruption in a case like this just shows a complete and utter lack of knowledge about Thailand and its justice system.

The penalty was suspended for three years and the teenager is banned from driving until she is 25 years old.

This means no penalty at all.

She can drive anytime she wants, and pay the 300 bahts fine if stopped, and then continue driving in the next breath.

Do you understand what a suspended sentence is?................coffee1.gif

• Like 1

The penalty was suspended for three years and the teenager is banned from driving until she is 25 years old.

This means no penalty at all.

She can drive anytime she wants, and pay the 300 bahts fine if stopped, and then continue driving in the next breath.

Do you understand what a suspended sentence is?................coffee1.gif

I don't think he/she realises that she has to step lightly for the next 3 years. If she is caught driving in the next 3 years she will breach her suspended sentence and actually do the time in prison. If she is caught doing anything ilegal in the next 3 yrs she may very well find herself doing the time.

Nisa, you will know that when the police write up their report for review /action by the prosecutors office tea money is often requested & paid to dilute the responsibility of the offender and police recommendations for charges. Monies are sometimes also made available to the accused lawyer to "grease some wheels". I personally have seen this occur in the case of a Thai family member charged for drug offenses.

With regard to the teenage driver, the media reports states she has not apologised to the families of those who died & denied any wrongdoing even though she wasn't licensed to drive. I personally cannot see, from media reports, what she has learned from these legal proceeding that would lead to her taking any responsibility for her actions.

Actually the girl admitted to speeding but claimed the van cut in front of her. Actually she did apologies. As for charges by police, she was charged appropriately given the crime, circumstances and the fact she was charged as juvi which in every civilized country is not about punishment but about rehabilitation. Any money going to the police would have nothing to do with sentencing of the charges and the prosecutors are the ones who ultimately decide what charges to prosecute. So once again, I have to ask who do you think would have been paid off or "greased" ? The prosecutors office, the judges, the folks from the juvi probation department which couldn't say much more than the truth in that the girl has never been in trouble before, comes from a good home and the obvious that she felt a bit too privileged for hers (and others) own good.

If somebody is going to claim somebody paid somebody off or that the court system was corrupted in this case then say so and specify what you mean and back it up with some logic or reasoning.

I didn't see the reports that the girl did apologise, so it's go to hear that she did so.I was not stating as a fact that corruption was involved in this case. Nor do you know for a fact it wasn't. What I was highlighting is a fact that paying the police to write a less damaging report for an incident for the prosecutors review and laying of charges based upon the report is a corruption of the judicial process.

I have deleted the detail of the payments to corrupt police and court officers in the case of my family member as I have just recalled forum rules do not permit detailing the process. Suffice to say that a two year prison sentence was negotiated down to a 20,000 baht fine and reporting every 10 days for two years prior to facing sentencing by the judge.

Edited by simple1