Tollway Crash Teenager Gets Two-Year Suspended Sentence

Lite Beer

The penalty was suspended for three years and the teenager is banned from driving until she is 25 years old.

This means no penalty at all.

She can drive anytime she wants, and pay the 300 bahts fine if stopped, and then continue driving in the next breath.

I don't think he/she realises that she has to step lightly for the next 3 years. If she is caught driving in the next 3 years she will breach her suspended sentence and actually do the time in prison. If she is caught doing anything ilegal in the next 3 yrs she may very well find herself doing the time.

Yes, if she is caught.

But, I usualy pay my fine 100-200 Baht for speeding and nearly never the officer want to see the driving license or ID. wink.png

In the event of a normal, not speeding Check Point a forgotten drivers license or helmet costs the same. Max. 300 Baht.whistling.gif

Usualy, no questions asked.

Edited by ALFREDO

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thailand is an amazing place ...my daughters nanny was killed on the way to the market ...i asked her to go and fetch some limes for a cold ...she had finished work but cheerfully went ...she was genuinely fond of my daughter ..she was knocked off her scooter and killed ...the driver was from an influential family ...he was not even charged ......the authorities told a friend of mine he had numerous serious driving offences but never anything proved ....however he was a paragon of virtue compared to his father and uncle ////.....tit

thailand is an amazing place ...my daughters nanny was killed on the way to the market ...i asked her to go and fetch some limes for a cold ...she had finished work but cheerfully went ...she was genuinely fond of my daughter ..she was knocked off her scooter and killed ...the driver was from an influential family ...he was not even charged ......the authorities told a friend of mine he had numerous serious driving offences but never anything proved ....however he was a paragon of virtue compared to his father and uncle ////.....tit

Sad story.

When people talk about the biggest punishment for this girl being having to live with all those dead people on her conscience, and then you hear a story like the one above, you wonder, will it really have a lasting effect, or will she put those lost lives down to their poor fate, their bad karma... as per Buddhist teaching.

Nisa...I have been following your posts for some time now...and I must say, they really get me worked up.

Yeah...you love Thailand and you know everything about it (I assume you are Thai?!) and we farang...we know nothing!

Nothing of the culture, the rules, the traditions...- we simply don't under-sa- tand anything that is going on.

We just lash out against Thailand at every possible occasion, because we just hate the country and everything in it!

...maybe some do...I don't know!

I try to criticeze things that seem wrong in my eyes- wrong in a moral kind of way, not in a justice- way.

In this case, we should keep our mouths shut...as we don't even know all the facts!

Fine!

Here are the facts that I know and that lead me to a conclusion, that this sentence is a joke and nothing else.

Was someone bribed? I don't know!

Was someone intimidated? I don't know!

But I wonder how ANYONE can come to this kind of verdict, based on some very easy to determin and simple facts.

Follow me, if you please!

1) The girls was 16, when the accident occured

2) She was driving without a drivers license

3) She was speeding

4) her parents bought her the car for her 16th birthday.

Let's take a break here. Points 1- 3 are undisputed. Point 4 is the first point that really makes me shake my head in disbelieve. Her father is said to be a high- rank police officer.

Shouldn't you assume, that a man who works for law- enforcement is at least following the law?

Should we also assume, that the car was a bargain and the parents meant to keep it locked away for the next 2 following years until their daughter would be old enough to make a divers license?

Or - why on earth- is a man of the law buying a car for a child, who is not allowed to drive in the first place???

5) the mother said, her daughter liked speeding!

Wait, wait, wait...

So obvously the car wasn't locked away until the daughter was old enough to make a drivers license.

The daughter used it, although she was - by law- not allowed to.

Not only that: her parents knew about it!

And to bring this whole thing over the edge: they knew her daughter liked to drive the car faster than allowed!

This is madness, anywhere in the world!

But I guess, there are not many places where it is told so casualy " Oh yes your honor...she liked to drive and to speed...the litle devil! Tstststs...you know your honor...children!"

What the....???

6) If she apologized, I didn't read or hear anything about it. She claimed the driver of the van was cutting in front of her, making her hit the vehicle, thus saying, at least it was not her fault alone!

...ahm...

That doesn't sound much like an apology to me! Maybe to you it does! I think, it is more the typical "not taking any responsibility for my actions"- Thai way of an "excuse"...which is something different than an apology!

But let's assume for a second, she made an apology somewhere and this is just another, non-contextual statement.

What kind of an excuse is that???

The driver of the van could have done handstands and tumbles...it doesn't matter!

If she wouldn't have been there -which she shouldn't have...no license, too young and speeding- nothing would have happened! End of story!

So...for driving a car, you are too young to drive...without a drivers- license...and speeding...all of this known by the parents....you get 2 years suspended and 48 hours of comunity service???

If I am a farang, in this case lashing out against Thailand...I am proud of that!

Let me assume one more thing: 48 hours of comunity service....which will it be more likely: serving them in an AIDS- hospice, being confronted with real troubles of life or taking care that the flowers at some Royal monument are in order and neatly placed?

This sentence is a disgrace to Thailand and its justice- system, no matter how it came to pass.

I feel sorry for the families of the victims. Not because they didn't get revenge- they didn't get justice...and that is a whole different ballgame.

And I feel outraged about this case...but am I surprised? No way!

What does that make me? A compassionate human being with a sense for injustice and the lack of sympthy for such acts?

Or just another know-it -all- farang, lashing out in a blind rage against Thailand?

I guess, I know your answer!

The father is not a Police Officer.

What is he then? I have a distinct recollection that when the accident occurred, he made a point of saying that as a police officer, he would not get involved or try to unfairly use his influence to help his daughter... which of course few believed. Did i imagine all that?

Nisa...I have been following your posts for some time now...and I must say, they really get me worked up.

Yeah...you love Thailand and you know everything about it (I assume you are Thai?!) and we farang...we know nothing!

Nothing of the culture, the rules, the traditions...- we simply don't under-sa- tand anything that is going on.

We just lash out against Thailand at every possible occasion, because we just hate the country and everything in it!

I try to criticeze things that seem wrong in my eyes- wrong in a moral kind of way, not in a justice- way.

In this case, we should keep our mouths shut...as we don't even know all the facts!

Fine!

Here are the facts that I know and that lead me to a conclusion, that this sentence is a joke and nothing else.

But I wonder how ANYONE can come to this kind of verdict, based on some very easy to determin and simple facts.

3) She was speeding

Let's take a break here. Points 1- 3 are undisputed. Point 4 is the first point that really makes me shake my head in disbelieve. Her father is said to be a high- rank police officer.

Shouldn't you assume, that a man who works for law- enforcement is at least following the law?

Should we also assume, that the car was a bargain and the parents meant to keep it locked away for the next 2 following years until their daughter would be old enough to make a divers license?

Or - why on earth- is a man of the law buying a car for a child, who is not allowed to drive in the first place???

Wait, wait, wait...

So obvously the car wasn't locked away until the daughter was old enough to make a drivers license.

And to bring this whole thing over the edge: they knew her daughter liked to drive the car faster than allowed!

But I guess, there are not many places where it is told so casualy " Oh yes your honor...she liked to drive and to speed...the litle devil! Tstststs...you know your honor...children!"

What the....???

6) If she apologized, I didn't read or hear anything about it. She claimed the driver of the van was cutting in front of her, making her hit the vehicle, thus saying, at least it was not her fault alone!

...ahm...

That doesn't sound much like an apology to me! Maybe to you it does! I think, it is more the typical "not taking any responsibility for my actions"- Thai way of an "excuse"...which is something different than an apology!

But let's assume for a second, she made an apology somewhere and this is just another, non-contextual statement.

The driver of the van could have done handstands and tumbles...it doesn't matter!

If she wouldn't have been there -which she shouldn't have...no license, too young and speeding- nothing would have happened! End of story!

So...for driving a car, you are too young to drive...without a drivers- license...and speeding...all of this known by the parents....you get 2 years suspended and 48 hours of comunity service???

If I am a farang, in this case lashing out against Thailand...I am proud of that!

Let me assume one more thing: 48 hours of comunity service....which will it be more likely: serving them in an AIDS- hospice, being confronted with real troubles of life or taking care that the flowers at some Royal monument are in order and neatly placed?

This sentence is a disgrace to Thailand and its justice- system, no matter how it came to pass.

I feel sorry for the families of the victims. Not because they didn't get revenge- they didn't get justice...and that is a whole different ballgame.

What does that make me? A compassionate human being with a sense for injustice and the lack of sympthy for such acts?

Or just another know-it -all- farang, lashing out in a blind rage against Thailand?

Does that make my points invalid?

Fine!

3) She was speeding

Wait, wait, wait...

What the....???

...ahm...

It's not the only thing you've got wrong.

Fine!

3) She was speeding

Wait, wait, wait...

What the....???

...ahm...

It's not the only thing you've got wrong.

...enlighten me!

When you buy your way out of driving offences, no record is kept. So when you finally do something horrendous, you get off lightly because it's a first offence.

This situation will continue as long as police are allowed to accept bribes to ignore offences and apply extra-judicial penalties. As it suits police and the wealthy, the situation is unlikely to change.

But wait! Yingluk is promising a crackdown on corruption.w00t.gif

The penalty was suspended for three years and the teenager is banned from driving until she is 25 years old.

She can drive anytime she wants, and pay the 300 bahts fine if stopped, and then continue driving in the next breath.

Do you understand what a suspended sentence is?................coffee1.gif

I don't think he/she realises that she has to step lightly for the next 3 years. If she is caught driving in the next 3 years she will breach her suspended sentence and actually do the time in prison. If she is caught doing anything ilegal in the next 3 yrs she may very well find herself doing the time.

Mmmm...that's what's MEANT to happen. You really think it actually would?

9 lives have already been lost and their families have no doubt been devastated by the loss. To gaol this child will serve no good but she should be dusk to Dawn curfewed for next 5-10 years and made to carry out some form of community service every weekend for same period. I don't know if they have those tracking ankle bracelets they use on parolees in west but should be also tagged with one of those to ensure compliance. Compensation has been paid I guess and I know that is never enough but short of ruining another life forever what else can be done? Gaoling this child would be revenge, 10 years community service might make her see the world in a different light. Won't happen I know but you can't go round gaoling children, it changes nothing and helps no one.

Community Service and Bracelets for tracking in Thailandlaugh.png ? Some folk really dont know how it works here. $$$$$$$$$$$$ BBBBBBB ahtttttttttttt

She had denied any wrongdoing during trials and looked relieved after the verdict was read

Luckily the judge did not hand down a harsh verdict that could have shaken her firm opinion.

I'm almost inclined to quote the famous closing phrase of "Grimm's Fairy Tales": "And they lived happily everafter..."

What punishment would be fair for a young girl of her age? Should she be put in prison for the rest of her life as an example for the other underage drivers around or should the one that gave the keys to that Civic go to jail?

Sorry to say that this sentence doesn't come as a surprise, just a confirmation.

I seem to remember the ownership of the car at the time was clouded in mystery and not directly revealed. However, I do recall an article in Thairath which didn't quite come out and say it, but alluded to the fact that the car was in fact her parents'.

Anyhow, despite avoiding a custodial sentence and being a 'hiso', I would imagine she will likely carry around tremendous guilt for the rest of her life.

Horse shit, if she is caught driving in the next 3 years, her "elite" family will pay off the cops again!

• Like 1

I wonder why the hi-so people act as if they can get away with anything. Because they can?

A suspended sentence. Forty eight hours of community service. Outrageous and disgusting, even for Thailand's judicial system! Jail time and many millions of baht in compensation was a realististic sentence.

Agree, and I wonder whether there has been any compensation awarded as part of the court decision. Very little detail and the points any professional journalist would ensure are in the story are all missing, so typical of the poor reporting from the Nation which never seems to improve.

Anybody found any details on this aspect on any other boards? Please share.

Last time I stated a similar comment that the level of journalism is appalling here, I was accused of Thai bashing! But totally agree with your statement that there appears to be no real questioning of important people here to get to the bottom of any issue or deep critical thinking on virtually any issue, especially one that may upset anyone with money or power here. I don't think this is limited to "The Nation" either. The reality is that Thailand is still a developing country where a lack of higher level education is the norm amongst the masses and hence a lack of transparency from government, business, courts and police is normal.

Most of the posts here are spot on with criticisms on just so many levels. I wonder what the average Thai thinks about this judgement, as I could imagine if it was my child or wife that was killed by such a senseless act the rage and hurt I would feel at this sentence would be unbearable. sad.png

120 million to be divided between the 9 victims families is slightly more than 200k each but still nowhere near enough.

There are 600 family members? 120 million /9 families = ~14million/ family.

has that been paid yet??

I dont think so! there is talk about the families suing for that amount no proof it has been paid.

What punishment would be fair for a young girl of her age? Should she be put in prison for the rest of her life as an example for the other underage drivers around or should the one that gave the keys to that Civic go to jail?

Sorry to say that this sentence doesn't come as a surprise, just a confirmation.

I seem to remember the ownership of the car at the time was clouded in mystery and not directly revealed. However, I do recall an article in Thairath which didn't quite come out and say it, but alluded to the fact that the car was in fact her parents'.

Anyhow, despite avoiding a custodial sentence and being a 'hiso', I would imagine she will likely carry around tremendous guilt for the rest of her life.

Almost certainly not.

This has nothing to do with the cops. Its the courts decision. This can only show of how corrupted the justice system is. Not the government nor the police is involved in the judgement.

If most of the TV members feel that the justice system here did the right thing to hand down a jail sentence on a ex PM.

What's wrong with this judgement then?

Sent from my XT910 using Thaivisa Connect App

She had denied any wrongdoing during trials and looked relieved after the verdict was read

Luckily the judge did not hand down a harsh verdict that could have shaken her firm opinion.

I'm almost inclined to quote the famous closing phrase of "Grimm's Fairy Tales": "And they lived happily everafter..."

To my amazement I agree with you.

There is hope.

Step lightly my ass. All she needs is daddy's money and a corrupt justice system. Wake up.

It is good to see that Thailand protects children and adhere's to the treaty on the rights of the child. Especially regarding youngsters the aim of the law is not to punish, but to correct wrong behaviour.

Let's not forget this isn't murder, as some seem to want to make out of it. It was a very, very tragic accident. And don't forget that driving by minors is not exactly rare in Thailand and it are often the adults who fail to act against it.

Wow - someone with a brain posted on TV. Thanks Mario wise words and cooler heads prefail.

Don't be too hard on the other posters, they are just very caring individuals whose concern for the dead and their family brings them sadness. This of course is why you see so many comments here about RIP, concern where they can go to help the families and other general concerns. It is not like there is bunch of posters here who could care less about the victims and instead are using this tragic accident caused by a16-year old Thai girl as an excuse to bash Thais, Thais with money, Thai courts or anything else Thai they can work into it because of a news story about the actions and consequences of the mistakes of 1 Thai kid. Give people more credit here, 9-people died and numerous people have lost their mother, father, brother, sister or friend .... this is a time as you can see by reading through the thread is where posters step up and put aside their insecurities and need to feel superior over people in a less developed nation.

Speaking of insecurities, that's you bubba.

I wonder how the families with lost one's really feel. Too easy to use small quote from long interview which may not be in context with rest. I gave been interviewed many times by television news channels and know first hand they will take 15 seconds out of a 15 minute interview that advances their story.

Did the victims get compensation yet? Also glad for van driver's mother who child was absolved in public eye.

At least 2 years more than she would have got in Australia. She would have got a 6 month suspended with maybe 40 hrs community service. She would almost certainly have the convion not recorded as a minor. Naming her in any media would bring severe penalties to the person naming her.

Edited by harrry

No doubt payments were made for the reduction of jail time, but were payments also made to the victims/families? Or would that be opening a can of worms ... As Mario points out, it was not a pre-meditated murder, simply a stupid kid and a tragic mistake/accident. But there still has to be some level of justice, and compensation is part of that system and there is no mention of that.

Similarly - '... The convicted teenager was from an elite family. She came to the courtroom with her parents and lawyer. She had denied any wrongdoing during trials and looked relieved after the verdict was read."

NO remorse whatsoever, no admission of guilt, no shame and no apology - and the elite family. Pisses me off the 'elite' in this country think they can thumb their noses at law and order. Now one can only hope Karma takes care of this brat. 402.gif

At least 2 years more than she would have got in Australia. She would have got a 6 month suspended with maybe 40 hrs community service. She would almost certainly have the convion not recorded as a minor. Naming her in any media would bring severe penalties to the person naming her.

In my state, she would have gotten nailed pretty good and so would have parents if the parents provided car, knowingly let or drive or acquiesced to her driving, she had a history of driving without permission and parents still allowed access to keys, and she was speeding (let's say 15mph or more over), girl would do some JC time, maybe only 6 months, but with more than two years suspended. Parents would be charged with prob a minor supervision issue, but worse if they had a pattern of letting her drive without a license and they knew she liked to drive fast.

Civilly, the case would only settle for low end 1,000,000 USD for each death of young and employed or employable and maybe 1/2 that for 50 an above with fee working years and no one relying upon them for financial support. Injured would get 3 times meds plus compensation for any real and documented by a doctor permanent disability.

48 hours of community service is a joke for killing people. My highschool girls have to do 120 a year for their private high school and one is in a special club that does like 200 hours hours a year though most of this is done through church helping poor, children with handicaps and helping to rebuild communities devastated by tornado damage so they are not picking up garbage on side of highway.

How many hours of community service did Lindsey Logen get for DUI and she did not kill anybody.

I wonder why the hi-so people act as if they can get away with anything. Because they can?

A suspended sentence. Forty eight hours of community service. Outrageous and disgusting, even for Thailand's judicial system! Jail time and many millions of baht in compensation was a realististic sentence.

You can bet the many millions of baht bit happened already or she would not of got this sentence!

You can bet it hasn't! Has money been paid? sure but i bet you it wasnt millions maybe 200k each victim? life sadly is cheap in thailand.

120 million to be divided between the 9 victims families is slightly more than 200k each but still nowhere near enough.

The last I read on this subject, some of the relatives of those killed, refused to accept any monetary compensation at all, from where did you obtain this figure of 120million?

She maintains she did no wrong, so I doubt she has or will ever have any feelings of guilt or remorse.