Farang Giving Up All To Come And Live In Pattaya

irishlad

It discerns between soundproofed condos and non-soundproofed. Seen it done by the noise-sensitive, works well ...

This is true. Proper sound-proofing does work well, and isn't unduly expensive, but it doesn't seem to be common in Thailand even in the more expensive buildings.

I suspect this may be because SE Asians in general just dont care about noise. In fact most of them seem to prefer noisy environments and find quiet places "spooky".

In my building the rare times I hear noise it comes from directly above, and I'm sure that a thick layer of polyurethane foam sprayed onto the concrete ceiling/floor from below would cure it. If I owned my unit I would try it.

A double concrete floor would be even better but of course that could only be done during construction and would cost quite a lot more. I was told that the new Reflections buildings have this, though I dont know if it's true.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It discerns between soundproofed condos and non-soundproofed. Seen it done by the noise-sensitive, works well ...

This is true. Proper sound-proofing does work well, and isn't unduly expensive, but it doesn't seem to be common in Thailand even in the more expensive buildings.

I've only seen it retrofitted.

noise pollution does not discern between big and tiny condos.

It discerns between soundproofed condos and non-soundproofed. Seen it done by the noise-sensitive, works well except that your cries for help couldn't possibly heard from the outside: it might be years before your remains are finally discovered. Pay fees far enough in advance and you could just have them entombed there, a plaque and a photo (an old photo of yourself as a young man of course) affixed to the door.

yada yada yakety-yak....... yawn! coffee1.gif

I've only seen it retrofitted.

Actually this is interesting, roughly how much does it cost, and who to contact ?

Find a nice girl from isaan. move there where everything is super cheap.. Rent, food, clothes etc and then relax of course stay in pattaya for 1 year and do everything that moves til u get bored.. Thats wat i did..

why do i have the feeling that the lady i married 33 years ago would strongly object if i search for a nice girl from Isaan? unsure.png

Thai banks have a lot of good deals right not on new construction. 100% loans. So you can get a house no money down and just make the payments. It is just like paying rent except the women has a reason to keep you around that is sound.

You see it is like this. I have a friend who is building his wife a house. He is paying for it. He also fools around. I know him and the wife. As soon as the house is built he is in deep do do as his wife knows about his fooling around. If he was making payments his wife would keep him around as she cannot afford to make the payments herself. See what I am saying?

Just because one comes to Thailand one does not have to become a dummy.

Excellent advice. I will consider this path when appropriate..

noise pollution does not discern between big and tiny condos.

It discerns between soundproofed condos and non-soundproofed. Seen it done by the noise-sensitive, works well except that your cries for help couldn't possibly heard from the outside: it might be years before your remains are finally discovered. Pay fees far enough in advance and you could just have them entombed there, a plaque and a photo (an old photo of yourself as a young man of course) affixed to the door.

yada yada yakety-yak....... yawn! coffee1.gif

By which I know I've won the point, thank you.

• 1 month later...
It's called urban living and has lots of advantages. Many of us condo dwellers CHOOSE condos as our top preference. In Thailand, we have the ownership advantage, but personally I'd go with a condo here or in any city.

I second that. I don't need more than 30 sq meters, a bed, a couch, running water, electricity and an internet connection. I really don't need a house and all the inconveniences and maintenance (and lack of liquidity) that come with it. Some people have just been raised in the mindset that you need a villa, a pick-up truck and a dog and the wife that goes with it. I just need a sleeping and internet-browsing place. Welcome to the XXIst century.

Where exactly do they throw in a wife when you buy a dog? Excellent marketing strategy.

Where exactly do they throw in a wife when you buy a dog? Excellent marketing strategy.

Would you buy if they are both the Bitches variety ?

I have researched the matter, and the evidence is clear,

nothing is more boring than living with a single girl,

i'll take single life a hundred times over.

9 is a lucky number in Thailand. But I take it you would rather live alone than have a harem. Have you tried a harem? I have and it is not boring at all. There are other problems of course but boredom is not one of them. Getting a eunuch is tough in Pattaya. One of the advantages of living in Pattaya is one can have a harem and no one says anything about it. I tried in Florida and the neighbors went on and on.....Pattaya no one even noticed.smile.png

I have researched the matter, and the evidence is clear,

nothing is more boring than living with a single girl,

i'll take single life a hundred times over.

Not only boring but more expensive. sad.png

Depends how you manage it. My live in tgf costs me less than 15,000 a month. If i picked up girls in bars/a go gos i would pay at least 1,500 a night (with b/f etc) so that buys me 10 nights a month. After you have lived here for a few years touring the bars looking for (suitable) girls can get boring as well.

I think at your age you are looking at min 30 million baht in savings and investments to guarantee a good retirement income preferably around 40 million.

Just to make sure I understand, are you saying that approx $1.3 million in US Dollars would be needed?

Thanks.

smile.png

Sure if you want to live a good life in Thailand you would need something like this.

30k a month just doesnt cut it neither does living in a bedsit for the rest of your life and chasing happy hours at gogos.

What sort of life is that?

Why come to Thailand to live a dogs life?

Most people I know live in a reasonably nice house or apartment and drive a car. Why wouldnt you expect to live the same in Thailand?

I would also expect to have a few trips a year to different countries. You would need medical insurance and then if you have any dependents you would obviously need to support them eg wife, kids, girlfriend.

Further you need to hedge against inflation and currency flucuations to preserve your capital.

Given at 48 you might live another 30 odd years even at 30-40million baht you would still need to be very prudent.

I am quite sure most of the posters advising about how much money is needed to stay in Thailand, don't have that kind of money themselves. If they did, they would know that once you have a small fortune, it is fairly easy to get a decent return on investment. If you have say 1 million US in cash, it would be quite simple and low risk (not risk free) to make say 6-7% return on that after taxes. Thats 60-70k US a year, which is more than enough to live a nice life in Thailand - and keep your 1 million US intact (minus inflation).

" 6-7% return on that after taxes. Thats 60-70k US a year"

The best low risk US investment return I'm able to find is around 6% BEFORE taxes, such as investing in the top ten Dividend Champions - That would be around 4.2% AFTER taxes.

Would you care to reveal your strategy for a low risk 6 to 7% AFTER taxes? . . . smile.png

" 6-7% return on that after taxes. Thats 60-70k US a year"

The best low risk US investment return I'm able to find is around 6% BEFORE taxes, such as investing in the top ten Dividend Champions - That would be around 4.2% AFTER taxes.

Would you care to reveal your strategy for a low risk 6 to 7% AFTER taxes? . . . smile.png

There are obviously many possible ways, but sticking with what you suggest, do what you suggested in Thailand instead of the US, and you should be there. Dividend is slightly higher, dividend tax only 10% and no capital gains tax.