Canadian Sisters Died In Thailand From Drinking Cocktail That Contained Insect Repellent

webfact

Was their room ever tested for chemicals?

Personally I don't buy that they knowingly drank DEET. Has anyone been to Phi Phi where DEET was offered as an enhancer of a bucket drink? I can't see that being allowed to fly under authorities radar, even though we all know authorities let a lot of things go.

Why didn't their Brazilian/Portuguese friends also not get sick if it was indeed in a bucket drink? By accounts they were drinking together.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for adding my video Webfact

DEET (N,N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide). Chemical Technical Summary for Public Health and Public Safety Professionals. Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry

http://www.atsdr.cdc...th-effects.html

Also i can understand the Thai media / Gov have tired to cover this up also Thai hotels have a habbit of spraying all rooms with this stuff and can make problems with breathing ..

People drink insect repellent and munched up mozzie coils?

By God, what a sheltered existence I've been living. I suppose the question then is did these ladies know what they were drinking?

Yes, they did.

Unless you know the volume by weight of DEET, I am not sure how you can say it is a lot. A pound of lead is going to be significantly less in size than a pound aluminum.

Then you have to take into effect the other drugs and alcohol in their systems too.

http://www.inchem.or...emical/deet.htm

Main risks are: CNS depression, generalized seizures,hypertonia with opisthotonic spells and hypotension. Symptomsare more severe if ingestion is associated with alcohol orsedative drugs.

If the median lethal dose in rats (2 g/kg) is applicable to humans, 50 ml of 100% DEET may is potentially lethal for an 8-year-old child.

DEET-induced CNSdepression may be potentiated by ethyl alcohol or psychotropicdrugs

You correct in some respects, but the point is, it appears you would need quite large quantites of DEET for it to become fatal, now if one assumes the source of the deet is ground up mosquito coils as has been suggested, how many coils would you have to grind up to get a lethal dose of deet, considering the fact the average mosquito coil is not even close to 100% deet content...

Even the quantity of 50ml of 100% deet to kill an 8 year old is still a significant quantity to put in a drink...

DEET (N,N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide). Chemical Technical Summary for Public Health and Public Safety Professionals. Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry

Also i can understand the Thai media / Gov have tired to cover this up also Thai hotels have a habbit of spraying all rooms with this stuff and can make problems with breathing ..

People drink insect repellent and munched up mozzie coils?

By God, what a sheltered existence I've been living. I suppose the question then is did these ladies know what they were drinking?

Yes, they did.

Are you saying that you know for certain that these women knew what they were drinking?

Proof please!

Edited by ManInSurat

Well, now that it's official presumably the copper s can pay a visit to the bars and restaurants the girls went to. If someone is knowingly selling this in a cocktail, and that some type of manslaughter. /murder.

However, I don't know if companies normally use this stuff to fumigate or fog spray places, but could it be ingested to a level through accidental contamination? Surely not?

Agreed.

Don't know bout Thailand, but it would be criminally negligent homicide if the person putting stuff in there had no ill will and girls knowingly ingested with knowledge of Deet being in there. If it was surreptitiously put in there it is likely second degree with a transferred intent.

Wait and see Qubec says. Take an awful lot of Deet to kill both of them. Sorry, but Thai officials tell a few too many white lies. BTW, I think if we take the white part out it's a but more accurate.

Edited by ttelise
  • Like 1

It's so sad that teens are finding new ways to get high. It is happening all over the world kids experimenting

I stick to bottel beer but even that here in Thailand can get spiked with sleeping pills

Nothing beats a big bottle on a hot day....but cans are much safer..especiallly when you buy them

from a store yourself or unopened at your favourite bar.

I've seen people do some pretty strange things to get high, but drinking DEET was not one of them. That crap in banned in the US because it is so toxic. The girls probably never knew what they were drinking. So sad.

Where do you come up with this crap? DEET is NOT banned in the USA. It is available in any number of insect repellents, like OFF!, etc.

Maybe you were thinking of DDT? Yes, it is banned.

Really, why post if you can't be bothered to check facts? Because you can, I suppose...

who the hell is writing these reports,police hunt for 2 portuguese who where drinking with the sisters,now they say it was 2 brazilians.

calm down - those countries speak the same language, so you can forgive a foreigner for getting them mixed up

I've seen people do some pretty strange things to get high, but drinking DEET was not one of them. That crap in banned in the US because it is so toxic.

Um, no its not. Its available in mosquito repellants at just about any store you go to.

Example: http://www.walmart.c...t-6-Oz/15136591

Edit: Ooops, I see Sateev beat me to it.

Edited by shawndoc

I've seen people do some pretty strange things to get high, but drinking DEET was not one of them. That crap in banned in the US because it is so toxic. The girls probably never knew what they were drinking. So sad.

We have some pretty chronic petrol sniffers in Australia., that's toxic as well. Then there's paint thinner, glue, aerosols etc, not to mention all the amphetamine coctail pills. There's a 100 ways to kill yourself trying to get high.

Edited by giddyup

The pyrethrins are a pair of natural organic compunds normally derived from Chrysanthemum cinerariaefolium that have potent insecticidal activity. Pyrethrins are neurotoxins.

So pyrethrins is deet? ground mozzie coils are DEET?

And Chooka before you bang your drum and the I Told You So Chorus joins in with what those misguided youth wont do, how do you know that they asked for anything more than a good cocktail.?

Right you don't

PS for those of us who avoid speculation of Leo dwellers, we never saw that post - about mozzie coils, nor saw the attacks on it. Get that chip off your shoulder

Well, now that it's official presumably the copper s can pay a visit to the bars and restaurants the girls went to. If someone is knowingly selling this in a cocktail, and that some type of manslaughter. /murder.

However, I don't know if companies normally use this stuff to fumigate or fog spray places, but could it be ingested to a level through accidental contamination? Surely not?

I believe this is sold over the counter as spray on mosquito repellant.

To knowingly ingest this, nor provide it to others as a libation is the

purest form of clueless madness I can imagine. Who came up with this

daft theory of getting a buzz from bug poison????

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

My gf just returned from Phi Phi last week. In quick succession my nieces, daughter and my gf all went to Phi Phi. I gave strict instruction NOT to drink or anything offered by anyone. Order normal food and take drinks only from bottles open by yourself and kept in their position.. All came back safe....

However, this warning was difficult to get through to my nieces whom would listen to any Thai person, including the scammers around Wat PraKaew and Siam Paragon.

What is most interesting is the information on drinks from Phi Phi. At pubs on Phi Phi, mostly or exclusively run by westerners, they were constantly offered unknown drinks that were readily offered. There is some sickening behaviour going on there. There are some cheap highs which are being pushed by some very sick people, and this could be finger pointed at westerners in particular.... The authorities need to investigate this until the entire picture is cleared for this once beautiful little island.

I was just reading how it is one of the most widely approved insect repellent in the USA, and even for kids as small as 3months. It is decidedly untoxic if used properly

http://en.m.wikipedi.../DEET#section_1

There is an epa pdf file that classified it as slightly and no where can I do find a description of symptoms for ingestion. As far as I remember it has an unbelievably bitter taste.

I stand corrected... Although it was banned for use on children in the US in 1998.

Here is an article that described the side effect in laboratory experiments..

http://www.environme...g03hazards.html

The Medical Sciences Bulletin, published by Pharmaceutical Information Associates Ltd. reports, "Up to 56% of DEET applied topically penetrates intact human skin and 17% is absorbed into the bloodstream." Blood concentrations of about 3 mg per litre have been reported several hours after DEET repellent was applied to skin in theprescribed fashion. DEET is also absorbed by the gut.

Given the statement above, the girls could have just as easily applied insect repellent containing DEET before going out for the evening given the high absorption rate.

I have a can we use at home that is 15 percent by volume DEET. A couple of sprays maybe makes 5ml I guess.

Would need an awful lot unless they were both highly allergic. I could believe it if some fool had dosed the beds with it in a misguided attempt to repel bugs.

While in the Philippines in June nearly got in a fight with someidiots because I wouldn't drink with them. I told the guy sorry I do not drink with people I do not know or drink drinks from bottles that I have no clue where it came from. To get the guy to shut up I finally excepted the drink and dunmped it, did he get mad, you thru my drink away, I said no I thru my drink away as you gave it to me now **** off. Then latter his buddy got into the act I finally told him to **** off as well the wait staff knew me and calmed these idiots down.

You have to be carefull who you except drinks from especially if you are a good looking girl, you do not have a clue whats in the drink. Best wishes to the family of the 2 girls very sad.

I do so agree with you that you not accept drinks except from someone you know.

who the hell is writing these reports,police hunt for 2 portuguese who where drinking with the sisters,now they say it was 2 brazilians.

For your knowledge.. brazilians native language is portuguese, maybe easy to mix them up

if you know these things...

And so go from screaming about how bad and worthless Thailand and their policeforce is, we are now as usual back to basic again, and it turns out possibly, that these young unfortunate girls have tried the "good" life of Thailand with drugs and drinks.... and the fault is their own.

glegolo

just in case you didnt read the police report 22june,the 2 sisters were seen in the co.of 2portuguese nationals one whose name is luciano tinto so how did they know that? maybe stayed at the same hotel so they would have seen a copy of his passport.

What's the guy in the video wearing a white lab coat for? He's not doing anything that needs it - is it to make it look more scientific so that his word will be more respected?

• Like 1

The report says they had DEET in their body. That doesn't mean the DEET came from a drink, that is them theorizing, and conveniently that explanation absolves anyone of blame. If their guesthouse room been sprayed with toxic chemicals and they contained DEET then it would also be in their bodies. I would think if people were regularly pouring DEET in to drinks, and it were capable of doing what happeend to these two girls, that people would be dropping dead left and right

if they were doing it in hotel rooms people would be dropping dead too.....seems that one needs to figure which is the most effective way of ingestion......I'd go for oral.

what puzzles me is why no-one helped them or why they didn't ask for help.....

Yes I don't understand this either? I was poisoned a few years ago in Phuket (court case pending) and with the cramps etc it is impossible to remain silent... Also it would be very clear with two people having been poisoned what had actually happened in the hotel room unless of course the mix of vomit and faeces had been cleaned up?

While in the Philippines in June nearly got in a fight with someidiots because I wouldn't drink with them. I told the guy sorry I do not drink with people I do not know or drink drinks from bottles that I have no clue where it came from. To get the guy to shut up I finally excepted the drink and dunmped it, did he get mad, you thru my drink away, I said no I thru my drink away as you gave it to me now **** off. Then latter his buddy got into the act I finally told him to **** off as well the wait staff knew me and calmed these idiots down.

You have to be carefull who you except drinks from especially if you are a good looking girl, you do not have a clue whats in the drink. Best wishes to the family of the 2 girls very sad.

I do so agree with you that you not accept drinks except from someone you know.

Well, no-one I know would give me a drink.

• Like 1

The pyrethrins are a pair of natural organic compunds normally derived from Chrysanthemum cinerariaefolium that have potent insecticidal activity. Pyrethrins are neurotoxins.

So pyrethrins is deet? ground mozzie coils are DEET?

And Chooka before you bang your drum and the I Told You So Chorus joins in with what those misguided youth wont do, how do you know that they asked for anything more than a good cocktail.?

Right you don't

PS for those of us who avoid speculation of Leo dwellers, we never saw that post - about mozzie coils, nor saw the attacks on it. Get that chip off your shoulder

It was a special cocktail. not to be confused with a happy pizza in cambodia.

What's the guy in the video wearing a white lab coat for? He's not doing anything that needs it - is it to make it look more scientific so that his word will be more respected?

Well one thinks it wouldnt have had the same impact, had he been wearing a Grateful dead, Ozzy Osbourne or Led Zepplin Tee shirt...whistling.gif

• Like 1

You wanted an answer now you got one. What you don't like this one?

I think its bull I dont think those girls drank crap like that, they were not short of money. But it clears Thailand of responsibility so thats the main thing.

Just one more thing,-- why do you put poison in your own drink? if not who did and isnt that murder or something.

Just another one of those unbelievable stories.