Taxi Drivers Unhappy About Crackdown

Lite Beer

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well this might be an unpopular statement, but havent fares remained the same though oil prices have increased significantly over the years? maybe a rate hike for the taxis would be appropriate and would encourage them to accept business that currently doesnt seem worth it to them?

The price on the meter goes up more quickly than it used to but they should really do with increasing the 35 baht minimum.

Last time I was in Bangkok, I had several taxis refuse to take me, especially for a short journey during an afternoon downpour. I don't blame them: I wouldn't have wanted to do that ride myself.

You think if they can charge you more, as will be the case if they would raise the taxi rate, it will make them LESS picky??

No sir, the result will be the opposite, they will be even MORE picky...

• Like 1

I have even had the front of a taxi driver, that was so blatant that his attempt to rip me off could not be concealed under a 90 foot blanket.

My far was 40 baht, I gave him 100, he tried to give me 20 back. Taxi drivers shouldnt be so greedy or shoddy, I bought a motorbike here to avoid all of that. Taxis are cheap but can be expensive when used enough and then more so when the driver helps himself to over +100% extra of the fare.

As for any Taxi driver giving the excuse that they don't know the address, the Police could insist either that the driver buy a SatNav before returning their licence., or they be forced to display a prominent sign on their cab that they dont know their way around the City.

Curt1591 you cannot imagine taxi drivers taken the scenic route to run up the fare , well my friend myself and wife were in bangkok recently asked for ministry foreign affairs chang wattana past don muang airport twice, wife spoke to drive , no responce, i got out at traffic lights called police over ,(they were at junction) drver said he didnt know bangkok, meter stated 943 baht , we had come from british embassy wireless road. police said it should have been around 450/500 baht.Yes he was playing games ,i gave him 500 baht and walked away.

300, tops.

well this might be an unpopular statement, but havent fares remained the same though oil prices have increased significantly over the years? maybe a rate hike for the taxis would be appropriate and would encourage them to accept business that currently doesnt seem worth it to them?

Ever been to Thailand??

Taxis here are run on heavily subsidized CNG, as NGV (Natural Gas Vehicles), currently at 10.50 baht/kg CNG. 1kg CNG is equivalent to 1.47 liters of gasoline, so the actual cost per liter equivalent is 10.5/1.47, or about 7.1 baht per liter. Gasoline is 40ish.

As for the difference between the meter drop, and long vs. short fares, it would depend on how quickly the driver can find another fare. Given the excessive number of taxis in Bangkok, it mitigates toward longer waits for fares, and means that longer fares are more profitable than waiting around for flag drops.

Many taxi drivers are lazy scum, but I don't think all their reasons are invalid. First, if they feel threatened, due to a thuggish passenger, or a drunken one, they should have the right to refuse passage. Also, if they are due back at the garage under penalty of fine if they're late (not to mention that the cab's lease belongs to the next driver), then they should not be required to take the fare, IF it is long or not in the direction of their garage. Someone else mentioned the idea that theyt should place a sign in the window signifying the direction they can go, and politely explain to anyone not going that way that their shift is over.

Driving a cab is no picnic, but drivers need to have 'service mind' if they are to be allowed to earn a living by taxi. I do think, however, that they should be better trained, and held accountable for their actions.

Sounds like Melbourne, Australia. We (police) ran an blitz in conjuntion with the Victorian Taxi Directorate because of similar complaints refusing to take short fares, dirty cabs, drivers unable to speak english, unlicenced (taxi licence) airconditioning not working, taking passengers on the secenic route. The month long operation was cancelled after a week because of complaints of racism. The taxi industry (drivers) are of a certain ethnic background and a lot of students. The operation was getting excellent results but because of the claims that the operation was only being conducted to allegedly target a certain race of people and not in the interest of the public it was called off so as not to offend. In the name of political correctness. The industry is now free to operate pretty much as they like because authorities are now fearful of being branded racist.

just why is it that so many taxi drivers are asian? (indian sub-continent asian) i suppose it would be racist to suggest this is because of being able to cover up real earnings by claiming self-employed status and the scams that allow?

ps why was the Whitehaven massacre so shocking? because there were no asian taxi drivers in whitehaven!

The subway and the skytrain are a real plus...fast, efficient, and sometimes over crowded. The second alternative is the excellent

public bus transportation.

Some people would do well to familarize themselves with the bus routes...The airconditioned buses are worth the low price depending upon

the time of day.

There is virtually no where you cannot go.

One of the first things I did when I came to Thailand years ago to get a lay of the the city, was to take buses, and it paid off.

Taking some buses once in a while is a perfect way to get a sense of direction; especially in a city like bangkok where it looks like

they first threw the builidings all up in the air, and whereever they landed they then put the streets in.coffee1.gif

many posters in here bleating as usual.

there are good and bad drivers gentlemen, in my 7 years here I have had more good than bad drivers, in fact a lot more good than bad. It is in certain circumstances and in certain locations that I have encountered problems with drivers not wanting to go where i want to go, this is normally on a night out when i am leathered and it doesnt bother me too much, guess what, Bangkok is full of taxis so I just flag the next one down.

Yes I agree that the bad driver should be punished, starting with the ones sat on their <deleted> on soi 11 waiting to scam people, but as with anything the actions of some have to affect all, even the good honest ones that genuinely do need to send their cabs back etc at certain times.

the taxi association guy would have been better advised to come out and say that some of the drivers are wrong uns that need to be punished but also point out the affect this will have on the better drivers that for an honest reason can not do a fair so far out of town for example based on his shift time will now get fined,

• Like 1

I can't imagine drivers "detouring" to run up fares. After the 35baht flag drop, you are eating away at their time.

A big part of their "F1" driving style is based on the fact that they wan't to get you where you are going and snag a new flag drop.

Time? You mean wasting time they could be sitting and waiting for another passenger? I think they are happy to have customers. And I've noticed that on the meter time doesn't really drive up the cost that quickly, but distance does. So, it makes sense to me that they would drive around in circles in order to drive up the fair. I live in Chiang Mai and though I've spent a good amount of time in Bangkok I don't know my way around the outer city that well. So I wouldn't have a clue if the driver was taking a round about way of getting from the airport to Siam Center, for example. Even though I am carrying on a conversation with them in Thai about their families, jobs, etc.. they probably know that I don't know my way around and are smiling all the way to the bank as they chat it up with me :)

I've suffered from taxi refusals a lot in the past, so I hope they continue with the crackdown.

It's all very well saying "there's lots of taxis so just take the next one" but sometimes taxi after taxi will refuse to take you. OK: there might be difficult traffic or it might be difficult for them to get a fare back again, but that's the job and that's why the taxi laws in most major cities make it mandatory for the driver to take you within a certain distance.

It's worth adding that I encounter the problem a lot more when I'm with my TGF than without. This may be partly due to expected tipping from a lone farang, but I think it's more to do with our respective techniques for approaching taxis. My TGF opens the door and politely enquires while stood outside the taxi, whereas I get inside the taxi, close the door and then tell them where I want to go. I think this makes it much more difficult for them to refuse, because they can't just do that irritating, dismissive wave and then drive off; if they want me to get out they have to both communicate that to me and convince me that it's a good idea.

I can't imagine drivers "detouring" to run up fares. After the 35baht flag drop, you are eating away at their time.

A big part of their "F1" driving style is based on the fact that they wan't to get you where you are going and snag a new flag drop.

Time? You mean wasting time they could be sitting and waiting for another passenger? I think they are happy to have customers. And I've noticed that on the meter time doesn't really drive up the cost that quickly, but distance does. So, it makes sense to me that they would drive around in circles in order to drive up the fair. I live in Chiang Mai and though I've spent a good amount of time in Bangkok I don't know my way around the outer city that well. So I wouldn't have a clue if the driver was taking a round about way of getting from the airport to Siam Center, for example. Even though I am carrying on a conversation with them in Thai about their families, jobs, etc.. they probably know that I don't know my way around and are smiling all the way to the bank as they chat it up with me smile.png

It's something like 5 baht per minute if the car is moving under 6km/h (or around there). Compared to 5baht per km while moving. So it can go up if you are stuck in traffic (10 minutes = 50 baht).

many posters in here bleating as usual.

there are good and bad drivers gentlemen, in my 7 years here I have had more good than bad drivers, in fact a lot more good than bad. It is in certain circumstances and in certain locations that I have encountered problems with drivers not wanting to go where i want to go, this is normally on a night out when i am leathered and it doesnt bother me too much, guess what, Bangkok is full of taxis so I just flag the next one down.

Yes I agree that the bad driver should be punished, starting with the ones sat on their <deleted> on soi 11 waiting to scam people, but as with anything the actions of some have to affect all, even the good honest ones that genuinely do need to send their cabs back etc at certain times.

the taxi association guy would have been better advised to come out and say that some of the drivers are wrong uns that need to be punished but also point out the affect this will have on the better drivers that for an honest reason can not do a fair so far out of town for example based on his shift time will now get fined,

Hi, I agree with this poster, there's a lot of good guys out there. I once caught a taxi from central Bangkok to the airport and while handing my bags to the taxi man I caught my hand on something sharp and cut myself. The taxi man noticed this and gave me one of his cloths for wiping his windows and a bottle of water. Later in the journey he stopped, without me asking, and went inside a 7/11 and came out with a handful of bandaids. Great guy.

PS Needless to say he got a good tip

Edited by sysardman

tackled at the root by giving training and screening taxi drivers so as to grant professional licences only to those without criminal records.

That is the most important line in the two articles.........it's in the best interests of everyone, especially committed and law abiding taxi drivers, that they must be trained to a good standard. Lazy, corrupt and criminal taxi drivers and operators bring everyone down to their level.

Honest hard working drivers should applaud the crackdown as it will shake the bad apples from the tree.........and they will be the beneficiaries just as much as the general public.

You can train them to be saints but youuuuu can't make them be saints.

I agree that if they get their taxi back late and are fined because they had to take a passenger out of the way they should not be fined. They should however not put the empty sign up. That however is unfair as it might be a half hour ride in the wrong direction as they have to go to return their taxi in a half hour. Thereby incurring a one hour fine from the taxi company.

Also I believe their are areas in Bangkok where they are not safe to go at night.

I am quite sure the taxis abuse the system as it now stands but the new law is just as unfair to them as the old one was to their passengers. Besides how do you get all the information required to call in a complaint. I have no idea where to find their registration number. The License number easy.

Also in one last comment out of all the passengers riding taxis how big a percent complain.2% I don't know does any one. We all know that complainers tend to talk more than satisfied customers. Especially here on TV.

Also in one last comment out of all the passengers riding taxis how big a percent complain.2% I don't know does any one. We all know that complainers tend to talk more than satisfied customers. Especially here on TV.

Did you read my last post? #79

I am not bashing taxi- drivers in general. I also had my fair share of "good" ones (or should I say: ones, that behave like I would expect that from a man, who choose a profession.in a service industry...for whatever reason!).

But if you read the "excuses" given...it get's me going!

What would you say to a waitress, who refuses to bring you a mushroom- pizza, because she doesn't like mushrooms?

So if a distance to drive is "too short" or "too long" can not be part of the discussion...

Preferring foreign passengers who tend to pay tips or is unaware of detours

In other words the taxi drivers are blatantly admitting that if you are a naive foreigner or a new boy in town, it is common policy to rip you off or be given unwittingly a grand tour of Bangkok at your own expense.

Just a bunch of scammers profiting from the vulnerability of foreign visitors and another nail in the coffin for the Thai tourist industry.

Not only should these crooks be fined, but they should also have their licenses revoked.

Do they have a license????clap2.gif