Film-Friendly Thailand A Hub Of Foreign Production Shoots In Asia

webfact

Film-friendly Thailand a hub of foreign production shoots in Asia

BY SCOTT ROSENBERG

BANGKOK, Thailand - Often times Thailand has been accused of over using the term "hub" in describing positioning of its burgeoning industrial growth. But now, thanks to pro-active marketing on the part of the Department of Tourism, Thailand Film Office (Thailand's Film Commission) the Kingdom is in the midst of a foreign production boom.

With the lure of high-production values, skilled crew, beautiful locations, and low costs, Bangkok is blossoming into an outsourcing hub for foreign filmmakers - it has become the center of foreign movie production in Southeast Asia.

For 2011, 606 foreign productions where produced from 46 different countries generating US$39.2 million. Countries as diverse as Chile (a documentary), Germany (8 documentaries, 4 ads, and 6 TV programs), and Nepal (1 feature), all used locations in various parts of the country. [more...]

Full story: http://www.eturbonew...ion-shoots-asia

-- eturbonews.com 2012-09-03

footer_n.gif

'With the lure of high-production values, skilled crew, beautiful locations, and low costs, Bangkok is blossoming into an outsourcing hub for foreign filmmakers - it has become the center of foreign movie production in Southeast Asia.'

Skilled crew? What exactly does that mean? Does it mean somebody will show up on time, even if it is raining or there is a traffic jam somewhere in town? And they won't drop everything after 2 hours for their som tam?

No doubt. Sone great new short features with Lily Thai, Morya Bangkok, Kitty Thai, Thai Suzy, and Kimmy Thai. I wonder if they are all sisters since they have the same lat names.

All excellent actresses!

Definately the best in the bussiness, and it fits perfectly well into what Thailand is known for thumbsup.gif

Just when you thought it was safe to go out...................... another Hub pops up.

There seems to be a never ending supply of hubs here. cheesy.gif

Fist Hub of the week I believe. I wonder what the monthly average is?

I think it is a minimum of 6 hubs and 3 crackdowns per month.

Edited by lensta

Ha, ha - as regards 'skilled crew', I can clarify some things about that.

I was fortunate enough to be an 'extra' in the soon-to-be-released film about the tsunami, "The Impossible". A couple of days shooting around Takuapa hospital waas my starring role.

Most of the 'extra' organisation (there were hundreds of us), food provision, transport management, make-up artists, were indeed carried out by Thais. But, all the technical crew for sound, vision, direction etc were foreigners.

So, I'd kind of agree that it's becoming popular for films, and likely gives good publicity to the Kingdom, but I'm not certain it generates a whole big bunch of money for the local economy.

did TAT spend many million/billions to invite them all to make shiny colourfull pictures and documentaries about the MIRACLE thailand ???

Yingluck will be the perfect presenter.

Just wheel in Ms Juthamas Siriwan ex TAT Governor , she is well versed in the Thai Movie Industry

"For 2011, 606 foreign productions where produced from 46 different countries generating US$39.2 million. Countries as diverse as Chile (a documentary), Germany (8 documentaries, 4 ads, and 6 TV programs), and Nepal (1 feature), all used locations in various parts of the country".

From what I have noticed on certain websites mostly blocked by the Thai thought police, out of these 606 productios other than the 19 mentioned in this article they must have been either Lily or Lucy Thai productions. Go film friendly Thailand.

No doubt. Sone great new short features with Lily Thai, Morya Bangkok, Kitty Thai, Thai Suzy, and Kimmy Thai. I wonder if they are all sisters since they have the same lat names.

All excellent actresses!

I think there's a Nyla Thai too, and a Jessica Bangkok. Unfortunately they're all blocked by the Ministry of Communication. Banned from watching in the privacy of your home, but allowed to sell pirated copies out in the open at all hours of the day...

• Like 1

Kudos to the Thai film industry. I personally know a director/producer who was a part of many documentaries shot in Thailand and is currently involved in a few current Hollywood movies and some documentaries. He was a part of productions such as Belly of the Beast (Steve Seagal), Rambo 3 (Stallone), The Beach (Leonardo Dicaprio) and has personal stories he shared of his interactions with these stars. I have enjoyed quite a few Thai films that I believe were very professionally shot and had great story lines. Tony Jaa's martial art productions remind me of Bruce Lee's early films.

Kudos to the Thai film industry. I personally know a director/producer who was a part of many documentaries shot in Thailand and is currently involved in a few current Hollywood movies and some documentaries. He was a part of productions such as Belly of the Beast (Steve Seagal), Rambo 3 (Stallone), The Beach (Leonardo Dicaprio) and has personal stories he shared of his interactions with these stars. I have enjoyed quite a few Thai films that I believe were very professionally shot and had great story lines. Tony Jaa's martial art productions remind me of Bruce Lee's early films.

Wasn't the Director of the Beach an Englishman by the name of Danny Boyle?