How To Tell The Difference Between Black Strap And Regular Molasses ?

MisterMan

HI I have found some molasses that I think is black strap but the supplier does not know for sure.

So as black strap does have some medicinal qualities I need to know for sure.

It is very dark and thick. Is there a way to test it ? Burn it? Anything? Thank you

This is what Wiki says. My guess is that real black strap molasses will say so on the bottle. It seems to have more nutrients than the regular stuff and no other difference.

Blackstrap molasses, or simply blackstrap, is the dark, viscous molasses remaining after maximum extraction of sugar from raw sugar cane. This residual product of sugar refining is used in the manufacture of ethyl alcohol for industry and as an ingredient in cattle feed. The term is an Americanism dating from around 1920.[citation needed]

The third boiling of sugar syrup yields blackstrap molasses. The majority of sucrose from the original crystallizes through this process, though the calorie content of blackstrap molasses is still mostly due to the small remaining sugar content.[1] However, unlike refined sugars, it contains significant amounts of vitamin B6 and minerals, including calcium, magnesium, iron, and manganese; one tablespoon provides up to 20% of the recommended daily value of each of those nutrients. Blackstrap is also a good source of potassium.[2][3]http://en.wikipedia....kstrap_molasses

Edited by Ulysses G.

THanks, yes I know it does have a lot of medicinal qualities despite its sugar content but I would like to know if there is some kind of water test or burn test.. you know sort of like for the "pure honey" you can buy in Thailand ..

someone had a test for that.. about dropping it in water...

I think this is made in Thailand so it is just called Molasses with no other info... hmmm

When I tried made-in-Thailand molasses a few years ago it tasted like sulphur (nasty) and I was told it is used by Thais to feed pigs. Maybe things have gotten better since then, but I only buy the imported stuff now that says "blackstrap molasses" on it.

Edited by Ulysses G.