Disability In Thailand

Pseudolus

Raised this a few times in some threads and it generally gets ignored. I am not talking about disabled visitors and tourists but Thai nationals who are disabled. When you go through other countries you will often see disabled people out and about getting on with life as best they can which is great. Here in Thailand, beggars aside, you just do not see it that often. The only time I have encountered someone with a disability is a lady with a withered arm (thalidomide victim one might assume being of the right age group).

A document from the World Bank (see below) gives the following viewpoint

2. General conception towards Person with Disabilities

More than 90% of Thais are Buddhist. In the teachings of Buddhism, disability is an outcome of a vice that a person had in his/her previous life. On the other hand, Buddhism teaches to have mercy on the weak. Because of this, Thais prefer to give money to disabled beggars or to make donations to charities. Though this might be regarded as a good social characteristic promoting the support of persons with disabilities. It can also be viewed as preventing persons with disabilities from joining society on an equal footing.

To my knowledge, Thailand's greatest Olympians (plural by the way) in terms of medal count are competitors in the paraolympics. Do they get the Million Baht + pay checks for the medals and paraded by the big companies?

Is this conception true though? People regard others with disabilities as basically being bad in a previous life?

http://siteresources.worldbank.org/DISABILITY/Resources/Regions/East-Asia-Pacific/JICA_Thailand.1.pdf

As for one group with disabilities, you certainly do not see a lot of wheelchairs out and about.

I have wondered about this before and thought that , in the case of wheelchair bound individuals, that it is hard for them to be out and about in the general streets and markets and shopping/eating areas. The streets and sidewalks and markets are not well equipped to deal with wheelchair bound people.

Going further, there could be less wheel chair bound people around, from vehicle accidents, due to inadequacies of treatment after an accident. ie: the person dies, rather than lives and is thereafter wheelchair bound.

There are several "disabled" people around my area going about their daily lives as best they can. Usually with legs missing and operating a kind of hand powered 3 wheeler. These are same people that are often seen collecting the re-cycling items you mentioned in another thread.

According to the wife, the opinion stated above appears to be true regarding the actions of a former life etc

As for one group with disabilities, you certainly do not see a lot of wheelchairs out and about.

I have wondered about this before and thought that , in the case of wheelchair bound individuals, that it is hard for them to be out and about in the general streets and markets and shopping/eating areas. The streets and sidewalks and markets are not well equipped to deal with wheelchair bound people.

Going further, there could be less wheel chair bound people around, from vehicle accidents, due to inadequacies of treatment after an accident. ie: the person dies, rather than lives and is thereafter wheelchair bound.

On the wheelchair front, I would assume that you would see people in wheelchairs in places they could easily get about in like shopping malls etc. Never, aside from some old people who are infirm as opposed to disabled. Will be very interesting to hear from the Thai contingent here on TV about this. The diseases and conditions that are at the root of a lot of disability in the world simply must happen here as well as the rest of the world. Downs Syndrome for example. I used to do a lot of volunteer work with a UK Downs Syndrome charity, and Mencap as well, but I can honestly say that I have never seen someone with Downs Syndrome in Thailand. I asked my GF about this and she knows very well what it is, but won't talk about it much.

Based on my conversations within my area it would seem those that have some kind of physical or mental issue are generally the result of a motorcycle accident usually involving alchohol.

There two cases here as an example, one with brain damage (drunk collision) another with missing limbs from a car/motorcycle accident.

It would seem from a brief chat with the wife that disabled people are generally kept out of the way, that is to say, not in public, or kept behind the scenes.

If a child is born with a disibility the child is generally kept at home and almost deemed as an embarrasement. Likewise employers may employ someone with a minor diability but they would never be in the customers view, kept out of sight in an office role as an example.

The wife was amazed and quite shocked on a recent trip to the UK when the Bank clerk we encountered has quite severe physical disability and she commented on how you would never see that in Thailand.

I have wondered about this before and thought that , in the case of wheelchair bound individuals, that it is hard for them to be out and about in the general streets and markets and shopping/eating areas.

Sometimes it's not too easy for an able bodied person!

Thailand is a permanent obstacle course and when they start to consider facilities for those with disabilities, then they are on the way to 'developing'. Maybe give a look again in 2112.

I think your perception is inacurate.

It is interesting that Thailand has one of of the earliest laws regarding treatment of disabled people. One of the Phibun era Royal decrees entreated people to assist the handicapped.

Infrastructure is the main problem to people with disabilities being seen much in public however this is slowly being addressed.

I have wondered about this before and thought that , in the case of wheelchair bound individuals, that it is hard for them to be out and about in the general streets and markets and shopping/eating areas.

Thailand is a permanent obstacle course and when they start to consider facilities for those with disabilities, then they are on the way to 'developing'. Maybe give a look again in 2112.

It is a hazard course on the best of days. It sure doesn't seem to be a priority.

It is a hazard course on the best of days. It sure doesn't seem to be a priority.

I am not so sure that the Government sees a need / demand to improve facilities. A case of out of sight, out of mind?

I am not so sure that the Government sees a need / demand to improve facilities. A case of out of sight, out of mind?

Your right........this government......any government, don't see a need to improve anything other than their model of car!

Based on my conversations within my area it would seem those that have some kind of physical or mental issue are generally the result of a motorcycle accident usually involving alchohol.

There two cases here as an example, one with brain damage (drunk collision) another with missing limbs from a car/motorcycle accident.

It would seem from a brief chat with the wife that disabled people are generally kept out of the way, that is to say, not in public, or kept behind the scenes.

If a child is born with a disibility the child is generally kept at home and almost deemed as an embarrasement. Likewise employers may employ someone with a minor diability but they would never be in the customers view, kept out of sight in an office role as an example.

The wife was amazed and quite shocked on a recent trip to the UK when the Bank clerk we encountered has quite severe physical disability and she commented on how you would never see that in Thailand.

So am I right in believing then that people who are disabled through a car accident are also thought to be from an evil past and thus ostracised?

What gets me is shopping Malls, big Supermarkets, even this last week the new car park area at Nonthaburi Immigration have disabled parking..

Good you think. but NO, these areas are used for Tents, showrooms to display there new cars or what ever.. Immigration on Thursday was a able bodied driving a pickup and a Lady with a cart selling things..

Was a old Thai in an old 123 Benz last year in then Carrefour . he parked almost touching the entrance and table of a stall in the Disabled parking bay, 1st letting his wife out, she with difficulty got the wheelchair out of the boot, the Thai man had no legs, and refused to move his car.... Now Big C Extra and still the same always something over the disabled parking bays.

I do see from time to time people shopping in wheelchairs .. wonder where they park?. also often see the 3 wheel Disabled Trikes about........ In this little Village there are 2 Ladies, one old and here husband takes here everywhere. the other sister in law of next door and much younger both walk with frames with difficulty.

• Like 1

Getting around Thailand is difficult enough even when able bodied, I can only imagine a wheelchair in a Bangkok street.

Probably like guttering "not beautiful"

I think this is a good point and what you say appears to be true. However I think times are changing, albeit very slowly but we are still moving forward. The school I teach at has started catering for those with disabilities and we go to lengths to ensure that they are given the same opportunities and chances as everyone else. However I have also been told that this is only a recent development to the school in the past few years.

Also I also know of a family who have a down syndrome child which they keep locked up in the house as they're embarrassed to bring them outside. It's a real shame to be honest. :( It would appear that if a family has someone with a disability, it must be bad karma from their previous lives therefore they are ashamed of it.

I think this is a good point and what you say appears to be true. However I think times are changing, albeit very slowly but we are still moving forward. The school I teach at has started catering for those with disabilities and we go to lengths to ensure that they are given the same opportunities and chances as everyone else. However I have also been told that this is only a recent development to the school in the past few years.

Also I also know of a family who have a down syndrome child which they keep locked up in the house as they're embarrassed to bring them outside. It's a real shame to be honest. sad.png It would appear that if a family has someone with a disability, it must be bad karma from their previous lives therefore they are ashamed of it.

How do the other children interact with the disabled children in your school? Also, perhaps point out to the family with the Downs Syndrome child that they might well be building up huge amounts of bad Karma for their next lives by acting as such.

Coincidentally, this weekend, myself and a friend went to donate some clothes and books and we found the Foundation for crippled Children established by Her Royal Highness the Princess Mother. It is just north of Bangkok in Prakked near cheang wattana. The children seemed well taken care of, although they definitely need contributions. The facility houses, rehabilitates, and educates hundreds of children. There is special education for the mentally handicapped. And vocational education for the older children. Some of the kids stay there while others come for therapy. And many from other provinces.

Just behind this facility is an orphanage, a facility for autistic children, a facility for orphaned babies, a vocational center and several other facilities. The entire area must have been maybe 100+ rai.

Coincidentally, this weekend, myself and a friend went to donate some clothes and books and we found the Foundation for crippled Children established by Her Royal Highness the Princess Mother. It is just north of Bangkok in Prakked near cheang wattana. The children seemed well taken care of, although they definitely need contributions. The facility houses, rehabilitates, and educates hundreds of children. There is special education for the mentally handicapped. And vocational education for the older children. Some of the kids stay there while others come for therapy. And many from other provinces.

Just behind this facility is an orphanage, a facility for autistic children, a facility for orphaned babies, a vocational center and several other facilities. The entire area must have been maybe 100+ rai.

Interesting indeed.

Curious that a lot of the regular posters are not contributing to this thread?

What gets me is shopping Malls, big Supermarkets, even this last week the new car park area at Nonthaburi Immigration have disabled parking..

Good you think. but NO, these areas are used for Tents, showrooms to display there new cars or what ever.. Immigration on Thursday was a able bodied driving a pickup and a Lady with a cart selling things..

Was a old Thai in an old 123 Benz last year in then Carrefour . he parked almost touching the entrance and table of a stall in the Disabled parking bay, 1st letting his wife out, she with difficulty got the wheelchair out of the boot, the Thai man had no legs, and refused to move his car.... Now Big C Extra and still the same always something over the disabled parking bays.

I do see from time to time people shopping in wheelchairs .. wonder where they park?. also often see the 3 wheel Disabled Trikes about........ In this little Village there are 2 Ladies, one old and here husband takes here everywhere. the other sister in law of next door and much younger both walk with frames with difficulty.

Simple solution park in 2 bays so you have plenty of space or park in a end parking spot.. thats wat i do

I am always amazed at how unfriendly the tourism industry is to those with mobility impairments. It starts at the airport. The offloading down those metal staircases and onto a crowded bus where there are no seats for the elderly or the infirm. The airlines do a pretty good job with the provision of wheelchairs and an attendant, but that's about it. Try and find an accessible washroom facility. In western countries, the disabled can and do function and they have the same money as do the able bodied. Yet, Thailand neglects this large demographic.

In Patong, I do see foreigners in wheelchairs, and from time to time a family with their kid in a chair. They have a tough time of it as the sidewalks are not navigable, there are few if any accomodations to move about and buildings for the most part are inaccessible. It's tough even for people with a kid in a stroller. Some of the worst offenders? Hospitals and government facilities. Thailand is not a country to be old or infirm, especially if a foreigner as the barriers and obstacles are many.

I am always amazed at how unfriendly the tourism industry is to those with mobility impairments. It starts at the airport. The offloading down those metal staircases and onto a crowded bus where there are no seats for the elderly or the infirm. The airlines do a pretty good job with the provision of wheelchairs and an attendant, but that's about it. Try and find an accessible washroom facility. In western countries, the disabled can and do function and they have the same money as do the able bodied. Yet, Thailand neglects this large demographic.

In Patong, I do see foreigners in wheelchairs, and from time to time a family with their kid in a chair. They have a tough time of it as the sidewalks are not navigable, there are few if any accomodations to move about and buildings for the most part are inaccessible. It's tough even for people with a kid in a stroller. Some of the worst offenders? Hospitals and government facilities. Thailand is not a country to be old or infirm, especially if a foreigner as the barriers and obstacles are many.

Im in a sports wheelchair and never came across metal stairs...

Also I also know of a family who have a down syndrome child which they keep locked up in the house as they're embarrassed to bring them outside. It's a real shame to be honest. sad.png It would appear that if a family has someone with a disability, it must be bad karma from their previous lives therefore they are ashamed of it.

How do the other children interact with the disabled children in your school? Also, perhaps point out to the family with the Downs Syndrome child that they might well be building up huge amounts of bad Karma for their next lives by acting as such.

The kids get on fine with those with disabilities. I teach several autistic children and its obvious they are different but they're still involved even if sometimes they're a little bit like "<deleted>?" at their unusual behaviour and actions. Also we have blind and deaf children who always appear to have friends and get a long just fine. :)

I've already mentioned about the family with the down syndrome kid before but they take no notice of me.

On the wheelchair front, I would assume that you would see people in wheelchairs in places they could easily get about in like shopping malls etc. Never, aside from some old people who are infirm as opposed to disabled. Will be very interesting to hear from the Thai contingent here on TV about this. The diseases and conditions that are at the root of a lot of disability in the world simply must happen here as well as the rest of the world. Downs Syndrome for example. I used to do a lot of volunteer work with a UK Downs Syndrome charity, and Mencap as well, but I can honestly say that I have never seen someone with Downs Syndrome in Thailand. I asked my GF about this and she knows very well what it is, but won't talk about it much.

I have seen one downs syndrome boy in Phuket several years ago(Luk Krueng). I know of more children with disabilities that are kept housebound and cared for out of sight. This is all to do with the Thai beliefs of Karma, the parents are often ashamed and believe they have offended Buddha etc...

Ive been to a similar place with Wifes work colleagues a long time ago and found it abysmal, more a case of look at the monkeys in the zoo type of experience, we fed the kids and wandered thru some ward, left some parcels and went.

It felt "uncomfortable"

first of all, to 'keep' handicapped children or adults up to standards in the west means money. also education. i know that in israel among certain groups, handicapped or mentally handicapped people are hidden from view, or even kept in horrible conditions as it is an embarrassment. there are other groups that have a large amount of handicapped kids due to large amounts of kids and many pregnancies, that will do the best they can with a small amount of money to keep these kids'/adults as part of the family. however, 'modern' equipment etc can only be had if someone has money or access.

thailand, at least in the agricultural areas, seem to take care of their kids (i saw many kids with various syndromes in villages, kept in houses but fed, clothed, clean, and part of the family life style. however, not atken around and out because physically it is just too difficult. as hubby says, even when here he sees elderly folks walking or scooting around in their golf carts or being pushed in wheel chairs: yak. (difficult). where is the family. why are they making these people walk or cart around? (ive explained that that is healthier then laying at home on a bed, god help me when i lose myenergy...)

as for proactive help, there isnt much in the regular schools. again, its seen as 'too difficult' for the person/and family. an injured or handicapped person should be kept at home because outside is too difficult. thais dont see exciercise, exposure to new things, sometimes forcing someone to cope or be challenged as a good thing. it is seen is too difficult.

i have all but given up explainign learnng disabilties and why it is neccessary to push children to learn, extra hours of study etc... when it is easier to just let them fall behind and work on thefarm or whatever....

bina

There are many disabled people in my village and they are not looked down upon or locked away in houses by ashamed families. There is a mentally disabled young woman that helps her mother on the local market stall. She like to follow customers about and hold their arm, chatting away about nothing, and no one minds.

There are also a live band that play 3 times a week at the bigger market and they are all blind people. There are many many people in wheel chairs selling the lottery tickets all along the main road and also at the big supermarkets.

The pizza restaurant has a guy with one arm who makes the pizzas and the owner is in a mobility wheelchair.

My best friend lives with her auntie and her disabled teenage daughter. They all go on days out together and also to the shops. They are not ashamed of the daughter.

There is a man living a few houses from me who has a deformed, leg, and he gets about on crutches. Also a blind old lady, who I go and visit, and all the Thai neighbours help her. The local village shop owners mother is very old and she likes to sit in the shop in her wheel chair smoking in the evening chatting in Lanna Language to the villagers, who all like her.

There are many more examples. Perhaps if people spend their time driving around in their cars going to farang supermarkets and doing ex pat things, they will not get to meet this section of society.