Secondhand Tyres

rcalsop

Have any of you guys bought second hand tyres either here LoL or else where , what are the pitfalls and negatives ?????

It is not always possible for a novice to tell whether a tyre (even a new substandard one) is safe or not, given the various tools Thai people have within their culture to justify their honesty or lack of it,

I would personally not consider buying a second version of something that my life depended on here or even in my old age in the UK (where people also lie)..

Have any of you guys bought second hand tyres either here LoL or else where , what are the pitfalls and negatives ?????

It is not always possible for a novice to tell whether a tyre (even a new substandard one) is safe or not, given the various tools Thai people have within their culture to justify their honesty or lack of it,

I would personally not consider buying a second version of something that my life depended on here or even in my old age in the UK (where people also lie)..

The reason I ask is in the UK I purchased extremely good tyres second hand and each was carefully checked internally and externally for cuts splits uneven wear , curbing damage etc and I never had a problem and restricted the usage to the runabout car ,.

This brings most people out in a cold sweat and they issue cries of I would never do it!!!!!! .

But they do buy second hand tyres often and with no internal examination or real checking .....every time you purchase a second hand car you buy 5 secondhand tyres , have no knowledge of the history of the tyre how often curbed or repaired , you never inspect internally and external examination is often restricted to the tread depth . .

what do you think ?

Edited by rcalsop

Sets of tires from new cars are frequently available. Many people buy a new vehicle then almost immediately buy new wheels and tires to fit the new wheels. Normally the wheels they took off are available for a VERY good price.

For me, buying second-hand tires would be the same as buying second-hand underwear. Sure, you can buy it, and wear it, but would you really want to?

Tires are cheap enough in LOS, buy new.

Peace

What about the second point ??? have you ever bought a second hand car ? if so you bought second hand tyres????..un inspected ....was that okay ...

What is the difference ???

For me, buying second-hand tires would be the same as buying second-hand underwear. Sure, you can buy it, and wear it, but would you really want to?

Tires are cheap enough in LOS, buy new.

Peace

Reference second hand underwear or perhaps second genital underwear is actually sold at a premium according to several websites, normaly female with scratch and sniff special features ... many people must buy it and wear it ???

Never done it ,never will ..but,,do you want to buy some of my old scivies ..boxers or briefs

( now the tyre link) with or with out skid marks

The only second hand car I ever bought was from my Dad, and so I knew what I was getting. (He's a maintanence zealot). So I can't speak to the other.

But really, how much money are we talking about? You can get a decent set of tires in this country for 4-6k. If you can afford to buy a car in this country, to can afford to buy new tires vs used. If you have your heart set on buying used, go for it. Let us know how it works out for you.

Peace

The only second hand car I ever bought was from my Dad, and so I knew what I was getting. (He's a maintanence zealot). So I can't speak to the other.

But really, how much money are we talking about? You can get a decent set of tires in this country for 4-6k. If you can afford to buy a car in this country, to can afford to buy new tires vs used. If you have your heart set on buying used, go for it. Let us know how it works out for you.

Peace

I have not bought second hand tyres here ( yes in the Uk as stated previously ) but there is a big market here ... I remind you the average wage is about 7000 baht a month tyres are not cheap here ... they are for you and I.. may be . The main point was that people when buying a second hand car never think about it as second hand tyres .... millions are sold every day that way, it was a point many people never consider .. I did and in the UK extended it to fully inspected tyres pre used .

I started draft a lengthy reply to this, but then I realized that I really don't care that much. I'm sure there is a big market for used tires in Thailand. I am sure we all realize that when we buy a used car, we buy used tires as well.

But that is the point ...most people don`t think about it .

it is not important any way a discussion topic only .. simply chewing the cud / ruminating / chilling out .. time for a Bob Marley .....

Buying a second hand car (or third/fourth hand car) with used tyres....just another reason not to buy a used car! You also don't know where the brakes have been, the transmission, the water pump, the computer chips, etc.

On the other hand, I bought a new Honda CBR that must have had a used battery, or they'd swapped it with a very inferior battery. On the third hand, they had to replace it ten days after I bought it, under warranty! Something similar happend in the USA, as well, but the battery warranty expired before the battery did.

Buy new from a dealer, with a real warranty, and you're safe.

Buying a second hand car (or third/fourth hand car) with used tyres....just another reason not to buy a used car! You also don't know where the brakes have been, the transmission, the water pump, the computer chips, etc.

On the other hand, I bought a new Honda CBR that must have had a used battery, or they'd swapped it with a very inferior battery. On the third hand, they had to replace it ten days after I bought it, under warranty! Something similar happend in the USA, as well, but the battery warranty expired before the battery did.

Buy new from a dealer, with a real warranty, and you're safe.

Don't buy a new car ever cause u know are being scre#d, moneywise that is..................... :o

• 6 years later...

I always use re-groove tyres. they only cost a fraction of the new one. Lots in Thailand, not difficult to find. In time of hardship, they are a good option.

However, if you can affort the new imported one, Dunlop and Yokohama are good.

I always use re-groove tyres. they only cost a fraction of the new one. Lots in Thailand, not difficult to find. In time of hardship, they are a good option.

However, if you can affort the new imported one, Dunlop and Yokohama are good.

Re-grooved ''car'' tyres. laugh.png