If You Don't Like It, Go Home.

Pseudolus

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mostly expats on this board will say such things. From what I have found many expats in Thailand have more 'issues' then I have found at other places. It's a good country to run to if you have relationship, money or other problems.

So you get a lot of people who are not really interested in fixing or changing things (or even hearing about negative opinions), but just leave or run when the time comes. Their solution to their own problems is walking away, so telling you to just go home is natural and is a valid solution to them, not always derogatory.

I would say it depends on the manner. I've never said it to any foreigner who is staying in my country as I find it childish and not helpful. Some people do talk to others , finding out the root of their problems some just simply do not care.

I've never really had a Johnny Foreigner come whinging to me about problems in my home country. If I was having trouble adapting to a place in which I found myself, I'd only ask a native for very specific and objective information. Regarding the challenges of adapting, I would ask those around me in a similar situation how they adapted - I would ask around my fellows in the ghetto - here on TV.

I've never really seen anyone present the "go home" card in a constructive and helpful manner - "What are the things that are keeping you here?"

SC

There is a difference between complaining about things one doesn't like, and slashing a whole country and its people.

Criticism can be quite constructive, and, ( surprise ! ) if you speak with Thais, you might find that your likes and dislikes are quite similar.

If somebody comes in my home though, and displays a totally negative attitude, i think it's fair to tell him to f*** off.smile.png

It's also about understanding human characteristics and nature , looking beyond nationality and skin and for what it's worth... Pseudolus is having a difficult time and it appears that Submaniac is having the same.

Now I can talk to the Pseudolus but not Submaniac. Does this have to do with we are both farangs? One could try to insinuate that but doing so without concrete proof that I'm a racist and a bigot would make it a foolish endeavour. Yet SM assumes this and that makes his statements not only invalid but also he is the one that comes out as a racist.

I'm not saying that I totally agree everything the OP has to say but that is not the point I'm making either. To give creds to Submaniac that is he is a man of his words... He couldn't cope and is moving home but if he tried to actually talk to some westerners he would see that the skew perception some farangs have about Thais also applies to the Thais have about farangs.

I don't think racism have anything to do with this thread but, anyway, maybe you and Submaniac are misunderstanding each other coffee1.gif

I am not Thai, but i am saddened when someone slash all the Thais for some Thai ( or his own ) shortcoming..The same applies to all Nationalities.

Maybe i am naive, but IMHO somebody intelligent enough to use a computer should be able as well to see beyond the colour of the skin and / or the Nationality.

Back to topic, people who complain a lot are likely to go on complaining wherever they go..Obviously i am not complaining, but i do my best to avoid them wai.gif

Just look at how Pattaya and Phuket have ended up because of farangs. sad.png

I only wish Thais weren't so kind at letting so much farang scum enter its country.

Just look at the people on here trying to live here on endless tourist visas as they've no other way but are desperate to stay.

The "farang scum" who stay here on "endless tourist visas" (without money) will be deported pretty quickly I would have thought - as soon as they get involved in a bar brawl and are caught by the police?

Who precisely do you define as the "farang scum"?

Probably means the million or so farang tourists who visit each place each year

Exactly. That is your definition of "farang scum", and its a minority of tourists who cause problems. The same for those on "endless tourist visas" - only a minority will cause problems.

We all have our own definition of "farang scum" - but whatever the definition, only a minority of those actually cause problems for the Thais.

Edit - Its highly unlikely (I would have thought) that those whingeing on this forum are actually causing problems for the Thais. And at the end of the day, its only those that are somehow harming the Thais that should be told to 'Go home' - for lack of a better argument against the points raised.

Edited by F1fanatic

...it appears that Submaniac is having the same.

Now I can talk to the Pseudolus but not Submaniac. Does this have to do with we are both farangs? One could try to insinuate that but doing so without concrete proof that I'm a racist and a bigot would make it a foolish endeavour. Yet SM assumes this and that makes his statements not only invalid but also he is the one that comes out as a racist.

I'm not saying that I totally agree everything the OP has to say but that is not the point I'm making either. To give creds to Submaniac that is he is a man of his words... He couldn't cope and is moving home but if he tried to actually talk to some westerners he would see that the skew perception some farangs have about Thais also applies to the Thais have about farangs.

A few years ago I was in love with a beautiful girl from Vienna. We had talked about flying to Thailand for many many years. She had a terrible fear of flying. For three years, I tried to coach her onto a plane. It didn't work. Finally, finally, finally, I managed to get her on this plane. I wanted to sit next to her and hold her hand to make sure she did not have a panic attack. The airline had the plane at capacity. Everybody was there with someone--girlfriend, wife, kids, family. There was one British individual that was obviously flying by himself. I asked if he would mind changing seats so we could sit together. He initially said yes. But nobody was in their correct seats so everyone went to find their corect seats. When the correct seats were found, I found that I could still sit next to her if he changed. His response was, "no I've already tried to change seats onece and I am not doing it again." Now I had paid $3k for these tickets. I had tried to do this flight for three years. And, my girl was going to have some serious anxiety without me sitting next to her.

But this Brit would not change. His attitude was well it's my seat you can't have it. The typical 50 year old thin bald British uppercrust "lord of the manner".

It turns out that this flight, was the last time I saw her again. She died about 3 months later. And this was my last chance, and it was ruined by a British snob that was full of himself and his "Britishness" to do a simple thing to change seats. During that flight, I burned his face into my memory. And when I am in Thailand, I am looking for him. He may even be on this forum. (And if you are, know that I am searching for you.)

But the crux of this matter is, that whenever I see some Brit on this board shooting his mouth off about Thailand, or the Thai people I think of the Brit on the plane. Yes, you think you are better and more important than me. You took away my lost opportunity to be with the girl I loved for the sake of your arrogance.

I point out that there are alot of Brits here that I absolutely adore, and am friends with like Thaicbr, Bigbikebkk, BKKjames, and if you count the Scotts as British I adore eek, and theblether and smokie35 and whatnot. So I am not anti British per se. I am anti-the ones that think they are the lord of the plantation during colonial days, and we Thais are there little brown servants. That is what I hate.

And Maxme, I know what I am about. I do not need your psychoanalytical drivel.

• Like 1

A few years ago I was in love with a beautiful girl from Vienna. We had talked about flying to Thailand for many many years. She had a terrible fear of flying. For three years, I tried to coach her onto a plane. It didn't work. Finally, finally, finally, I managed to get her on this plane. I wanted to sit next to her and hold her hand to make sure she did not have a panic attack. The airline had the plane at capacity. Everybody was there with someone--girlfriend, wife, kids, family. There was one British individual that was obviously flying by himself. I asked if he would mind changing seats so we could sit together. He initially said yes. But nobody was in their correct seats so everyone went to find their corect seats. When the correct seats were found, I found that I could still sit next to her if he changed. His response was, "no I've already tried to change seats onece and I am not doing it again." Now I had paid $3k for these tickets. I had tried to do this flight for three years. And, my girl was going to have some serious anxiety without me sitting next to her.

But this Brit would not change. His attitude was well it's my seat you can't have it. The typical 50 year old thin bald British uppercrust "lord of the manner".

It turns out that this flight, was the last time I saw her again. She died about 3 months later. And this was my last chance, and it was ruined by a British snob that was full of himself and his "Britishness" to do a simple thing to change seats. During that flight, I burned his face into my memory. And when I am in Thailand, I am looking for him. He may even be on this forum. (And if you are, know that I am searching for you.)

But the crux of this matter is, that whenever I see some Brit on this board shooting his mouth off about Thailand, or the Thai people I think of the Brit on the plane. Yes, you think you are better and more important than me. You took away my lost opportunity to be with the girl I loved for the sake of your arrogance.

I point out that there are alot of Brits here that I absolutely adore, and am friends with like Thaicbr, Bigbikebkk, BKKjames, and if you count the Scotts as British I adore eek, and theblether and smokie35 and whatnot. So I am not anti British per se. I am anti-the ones that think they are the lord of the plantation during colonial days, and we Thais are there little brown servants. That is what I hate.

I feel guilty about my weak powers of persuasion as well.

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 2

Why do so many farangs left their home countries and set up temporary homes here in thailand...if I am not mistaken one of the many reasons is they are not happy there....so if you are not happy here again in thailand what you do you do...sick.gif

• Like 1

@siampreggers Why not take up your complaints with the corrupt Thai's who permitted some parts of Pattaya and Phuket to be what they are today. Down side is you then wouldn't have enough time to complain about farangs on this forum.

Submaniac

Nope. How about this; take your solidarity and compassion and shove it. I don't like it when Thais and Thailand is insulted. How about I throw some insults at the British people and see how you like it. The British like to dish it out, but they can't take it. You want to dish it out on this Forums about Thais, better trust and believe that I will dish it right on back to you. Solidarity and compassion my ass.

And since we are on the topic, I also must point out that the biggest whingers/complainers on this forum, and the most likely culprit to be making some type of derratory comment towards my country and my people are British. Like no other English speaking country comes close. The Americans don't whinge very much. The canadians (what few there are here) don't have many complaints. The Australians generally don't complain. Neither do the new zealanders. The Irish don't complain. The Scottish don't complain. There is one country that exports the largest amout of complainers to Thailand.

It's like a national past time for the English. They complain about Thailand. They complain about Britain. They complain about their food. They complain about the service. They complain about everything.

This turns me to my original post: if you don't like the way things are, you are free to leave and find someplace that you would be happier.

Well done, you've just shown you can stereotype with the best of them Congratulations! BTW British includes Scottish, Welsh and (maybe) northern Irish. English are those who live in England. Helps with the stereotyping

• Like 2

so do you consider where you live now to be your home?

Nope. I've been trying to get back to Thailand for years. I got stuck on something here (a lawsuit) which has dragged on for a while and I simply cannot leave the United States in the near future. For everyone's bitching and complaining, I would rather be in Thailand. Warts and all. Frankly when people complain of Thailand, I am jealous as I would simply rather be there.

Keep in mind I have nothing but love and respect for the United States. You can search all of my previous posts, and I do not sit here and complain about how terrible the United States is. The United States has its problems. There are things I don't like. But I don't complain about it. My thoughts are, if I don't like it, I can leave.

If someone who is not from the United States moves to America and complains about it, my thoughts are, you can leave. Similarly the British on this board complain alot about immigrants to Britain, who do not adopt to British ways. As a specific example, there have been complaints about Muslims who implement Sharia courts in England, and pass out leaflets against homosexuality in England. (Note that this post does not express any of my opinions on this, but is made solely as an examplar.) My thoughts are if someone moves to Thailand, then they need to adapt to Thai ways, not vice versa. It is called Thailand, not "utopia". No one said it would be perfect and paradise. For most people on this forum (who are not married or born Thai) they weren't really invited to come to Thailand either. Whatever the reasons, if you choose to live in Thailand, you take it or leave it as a whole. You don't come here and complain.

Get this I am Thai. When you clowns go out an make a sniggling little remark about MY COUNTRY or MY PEOPLE, I am going to take offense to it. Here's some quick "gems" :

Nope. How about this; take your solidarity and compassion and shove it. I don't like it when Thais and Thailand is insulted. How about I throw some insults at the British people and see how you like it. The British like to dish it out, but they can't take it. You want to dish it out on this Forums about Thais, better trust and believe that I will dish it right on back to you. Solidarity and compassion my ass.

And since we are on the topic, I also must point out that the biggest whingers/complainers on this forum, and the most likely culprit to be making some type of derratory comment towards my country and my people are British. Like no other English speaking country comes close. The Americans don't whinge very much. The canadians (what few there are here) don't have many complaints. The Australians generally don't complain. Neither do the new zealanders. The Irish don't complain. The Scottish don't complain. There is one country that exports the largest amout of complainers to Thailand.

It's like a national past time for the English. They complain about Thailand. They complain about Britain. They complain about their food. They complain about the service. They complain about everything.

This turns me to my original post: if you don't like the way things are, you are free to leave and find someplace that you would be happier.

Proud to be Thai.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/580346-pheu-thai-mp-urges-thai-women-marry-a-farang-for-an-easier-life/page__hl__%20julphongsathorn

loathe people who present me with their seating problems. but if an infirmity is explained, i will make exceptions.

if the problem persisted, i suppose you could have "just taken another airline".

Edited by jacktrip

For everyone's bitching and complaining, I would rather be in Thailand. Warts and all. Frankly when people complain of Thailand, I am jealous as I would simply rather be there.

I agree with you completely and thank God every day that I am fortunate enough to live in Thailand. I just don't get the people who do nothing but whinge and whine,but never leave for "better" shores.

Sorry for your loss but.....

Any educated person would just speak to the flight attendants, explain that they are with a nervous passenger and put their requests in that they need to be seated next to each other, not go bothering individuals and subject them to moving not once but twice as if the first move wasn't good enough...how do you know the Brit wasn't a nervous passenger?

• Like 2

Dunno who he's trying to kid "the Scots don't complain". That just makes me angry. He never even bloody listens to us. Nobody does. At least people listen to the English, we just get ignored...

SC

To do with understanding innit

Sounds to me like a person who paid for his seat, much like you did, and had already moved once for you. If you had told us he hadn't moved then I could understand it, but he probably felt that, having moved once, that if you couldn't work it out that time he really didn't have to play your game any longer. Seriously, where are you going to get off on this one. You are trying to find him?????

I have to say that I would have declined your 2nd offer as well. Having, kindly, agreed to your first request I would think that you were slightly too pushy for your own good and turned you down. Seriously, you know all the details about your friend's fear of flying and pushed her into getting onto a plane. Don't you think this is where this story went wrong, rather than blaming some man who tried to help you, but didn't do enough by your book? Did nobody ever say no to you as a kid?

It is sad to hear that your friend died 3 months later, but it still doesn't make it that man's fault. submaniac, please stop digging, I have had respect for a fair few of your posts, but this one is ludicrous. "Britishness"? If I say "Thainess" do you understand what that is? Does it make your blood boil? Imagine how I feel when you decide to attack my people/culture and country like this? I feel sad, violated and disrespected. Is that your goal?

---EDIT---

I forgot the part about "little brown servants". The ABSOLUTE worst treatment of a Thai I have witnessed was from another Thai. Typical Hi-So/Lo-So behaviour. The Lo-So could have said something, but was too ingrained to react. Too fearful. I, for one "farang", loathe this behaviour but see it day in day out. Disrespectful, taught, snobbism. You really would have to travel 2 centuries back in England to see this behaviour displayed quite as rampantly as it is in Thailand today. "We" are the least of your worries.

I had assumed he was trolling with that one. It really doesn't bother me at all. The fact that people choose to judge a nation on the stereotype they have of that nation, based on their own jingoistic anti-imperialist upbringing, and hang grimly onto a memory that reinforces that stereotype; the fact that he has displayed ignorance regarding Britain, and his reliance on conformance to stereotype, highlights how little value his opinion holds.

We could argue against it, but I have never seen a bigot change their opinion on this forum, so to argue would simply give him more opportunity to express and reinforce his own prejudices.

SC

+1

It sounds like you are blaming a complete stranger for an event that has nothing to do with them.

Perhaps you have an issue with not seeing her again and blame yourself that you didn't see this love of your life again, for the 3 months after the flight?

There could have been ways, pre flight, you could have secured seats next to each other: if that was to be the most important thing about flying with her, and it sounds like it was, as you have written it.

You seem pretty keen at attempting to analyse other members failings, but surprisingly you haven't turned your critical eye over this important piece of your life, looked inwards, and accepted that sometimes things don't go as you wish in life.

I really hope you find some closure on this issue as it must be really weighing you down in life.

• Like 2

. So does people who type "get out of my adopted country" actually say more about the short comings of that person, then of their target?

10 post until I am told to leave / go home.

I suspect it does indeed.

People who are living a good life here, happy marriage/relationship, perhaps raising a family, working or sufficient income to meet their needs, a full social life that is not defined by a belly full of beer, might be perplexed at some of the complaints they hear about Thailand - if they are indeed raising a family here they might very well share many of the concerns other parents voice, but I doubt they'll take violent exception and feel the need to tell people they don't know to go home.

The self righteous ranting against others expressing a negative opinion is the reserve of those who's own life here is not what they tell themselves and would have the rest of us believe it is.

Faced with someone reminding them of a truth they need to deny lest their bubble burst they rant and attack people who are simply making observations about the facts around us.

I suspect the most vociferous of these ranters are those who can't themselves go back home, having burned those bridges by one means or another - Trapped here they have no option but to like it or lump it - others reminding the of the reality does not sit well

+1,000,000,000,000

Nail on the head.

Dunno who he's trying to kid "the Scots don't complain". That just makes me angry. He never even bloody listens to us. Nobody does. At least people listen to the English, we just get ignored...

SC

He'shuvvinagoatyoo, Cowboy. Dinnaeyoostaun'firit

kid...goats...I see the connection, doubt any others would.

SC

He'shuvvinagoatyoo, Cowboy. Dinnaeyoostaun'firit

kid...goats...I see the connection, doubt any others would.

gosat, not goats

Sorry for your loss but.....

Any educated person would just speak to the flight attendants, explain that they are with a nervous passenger and put their requests in that they need to be seated next to each other, not go bothering individuals and subject them to moving not once but twice as if the first move wasn't good enough...how do you know the Brit wasn't a nervous passenger?

I did. The german flight attendants were busy. They said that only seats could be exchanged if people agreed otherwise they would not intervene. I explained her flight conditions to the attend. I explained it to him. They didn't care.

I hope basis that info that you dislike and tar all Germans with the same brush then?