Dilemma

NBD

Time for a new truck, and my wife is eligible for the tax rebate as it will be her first car.

I really like the Ford Ranger but the waiting list will already push that back into next year, meaning we won't get the rebate as I understand it. Second choice is probably the Vigo, but this is an old car now and will feel very dated in 5 years or so, and probably drop in value when a new model is released next year. And if we sell it within 5 years we need to pay back the rebate.

I have considered Isuzu, who brought out a new model this year, but they always seem a bit second best.

Waiting times are a factor as my current set of wheels is on the way out and I don't want to keep repairing it.

What would you do and why? Toyota now? Ford next year? Or something else that I've missed entirely.

ETA:

And yes, I know, my wife is going to run off with her Thai husband and sell the car and I'll be thrown in prison and so on and so on, so don't feel obliged to point that out please!

Edited by NBD
  • Like 1

I sat in the New Mazda recently, nice enough - lots of plastic around but is the trend these days in all new trucks. The new Isuzu Hi-Lander looks nicer to me than the V-Cross. My first choice is pictured left but I would settle for the Navara 4x4 with all it's inclusions, leather, abs, airbags, proven (if but a bit thirsty) engine.

Edited by bkkjames

Most likely Isuzu. I think you can find a thread of a happy owner of an Isuzu... In general, it all depends on luck, but you could have one as quickly as one week after your order... or three months after!

Isuzu is first in terms of reliability, and having sat in one of them, I can confirm it feels really nice and modern. Better than Toyota, and its reputation for reliability is definitely confirmed.

• Like 1

It depends what you need the truck for; the Colorado 2.5 LT has the same power as the Ranger 2.2 XLT but gives a softer ride, if that's a priority for you (?). The Colorado in LT trim has manual transmission and is almost 45,000 baht cheaper, plus your wife could get the rebate, but you'd have to spend 100,000baht more than the Ranger XLT to get a Colorado with auto and the same safety equipment (the 2.8 LTZ). If safety is a priority, then the tax rebate savings are a red herring and it's worth just waiting for the Ranger.

If you order the car before the end of the year, you will still get the taxrebate, even if delievery is 6-8 months in the future. Ford should be able to give you the factual information.

When your wifes brother decides to let go of the car cheaply, give me a call rolleyes.gif

I have a new DMAX and I like it. The new automatic is very smooth and the down-shifts nicely for passing. I keep my foot in it and still get just over 12km/liter.

No issues yet, and just had the 20,000 km service. Cost for the service was THB 995 and included new oil, filter and plug gasket.

you may be surprised on the depreciation, my guess is even an obsolete and old Toyota or Isuzu will outperform Ford, Mitsu and a few other brands. (speaking as a seller of a toyota this month who has been hugely suprised how little it has depreciated).

When I was in the waiting list for the Ford before Ford decided to royally screw me by failing to deliver the car nor giving any real reason why, I had already figured the Ford would depreciate a fair bit worse, but as the best in class (according to the early reviews) I presumed that this would be acceptable. All pickups hold their value pretty well.

note that the top of the line Ford if they even still offer it is past the threshold of the government program anyhow (above 1m) assuming they still offer it and assuming the program hasn't changed.

I'd look at the Isuzu or at a push the Chevvy or Ford though, simply because the Vigo is getting a bit on the older side.

Nice write up, Carsten, thanks for that.

How is the gearbox on the D-Max? I don't really mind manual, but if it's got one of the smart autos with sequential gears as well that would be a bonus.

At any given speed you pull the lever to the right, towards you and you are in manual. Nice in the mountains, relaxing the transmission.

And it still thinks beyond, when you are in 2, for example, and coming to an standstill, it will go down to 1, so you cant strangle the engine. Mind, it will stay in 1 since you are in manual.

The 177 hp helps, in any mode when you step down it delivers. No gap, that was that funny thing Ford had. Ford was thinking you are off road and bumps could possibly transfer to your foot/gas... resulting in a kind of helpless situation when trying to speed up back into the highway after a stop.

Unbelievable.

But maybe Ford Drivers need a bit of spoon-feeding. whistling.gif

...don't know what are you talking about...Ford Ranger AT has the manual option and even 2.2L has enough power(150HP) to get you through the speed bumps wink.png ...and much cheaper too tongue.png

The rebate for cars only applies up to 1.5 liters, and you have to pay it back if you sell within 5 years. For 4 door trucks you get about 10% of the total price back, so definitely a useful chunk.

I know myself and I'll hammer the arse off a 1.5 liter car, so it will be having problems in 5 years, the suspension will be falling off from the roads around where we live, and I'll have to hire a truck or SUV anyway for the times I have visitors or when we move house, probably next year (4 adults and luggage in a Honda Jazz makes for a very cramped journey). A nice big 3.0 TD truck will put up with that sort of abuse much better, and should still be worth something in 5 years.

The rebate for cars only applies up to 1.5 liters, and you have to pay it back if you sell within 5 years. For 4 door trucks you get about 10% of the total price back, so definitely a useful chunk.

I know myself and I'll hammer the arse off a 1.5 liter car, so it will be having problems in 5 years, the suspension will be falling off from the roads around where we live, and I'll have to hire a truck or SUV anyway for the times I have visitors or when we move house, probably next year (4 adults and luggage in a Honda Jazz makes for a very cramped journey). A nice big 3.0 TD truck will put up with that sort of abuse much better, and should still be worth something in 5 years.

Well, here's a quick round-up, IMHO...

Hilux: Aging very well, incredible resale value, pricey for such dated tech and styling, and the interior still like a taxi special. Recently refreshed with 5AT and a little more HP/Nm (but still de-tuned), but wait times are growing to 4+ months now. New model may be as far away is H2 2014.

DMax: Isaan's favorite, new chassis a huge improvement over the old, interior design by Chev is so-so. New twin-turbo engine coming next year in a minor change. Wait times up to 3-4 months for some variants.

Triton: Styling can be polarising, but if you like it, it's still holds ground against the newcomers due to keen pricing/deals. Usually able to get a better overall deal than what you'll get on the 'big two', and no unreasonable wait times for delivery. Due for a complete model change within 18 months.

Navara: Notoriously thirsty, and a little rough compared to current competition. Deals not as good as it's low sales volume might suggest, as most Nissan dealers are overwhelmed with March buyers, and Sylphy tire kickers. Will be sharing a new platform with Mistu within 18 months.

Colorado: New engines not as good IRL as they look on paper, and as the donor responsible for the D-Max's not-so-pretty interior, it doesn't do any better here. Best availability of all the 'next-gen' trucks though, and some models stand out as value buys.

Ranger: Completely botched launch (delayed almost a year to begin with) and continuing production problems cripple this option. If you're willing to wait a long time, and aren't afraid of buyer's remorse when Mitsu/Nissan and Toyota bring out their next-gen, go for it.. The 809K 4-door XLT is especially great value, if you can get one...

BT-50: Surprising everyone (including Mazda) with it's sales success. Polarising styling that's probably more in line with your wife's taste than your own. Bizzarely, does not appear to be as badly effected by production difficulties as the Ranger, even though both share the same platform, and Mazda outsells the Ford. If you can bring yourself to like the styling, definitely worth considering.

Edited by IMHO

Hilux: Aging very well, incredible resale value, pricey for such dated tech and styling, and the interior still like a taxi special. Recently refreshed with 5AT and a little more HP/Nm (but still de-tuned), but wait times are growing to 4+ months now. New model may be as far away is H2 2014.

DMax: Isaan's favorite, new chassis a huge improvement over the old, interior design by Chev is so-so. New twin-turbo engine coming next year in a minor change. Wait times up to 3-4 months for some variants.

Triton: Styling can be polarising, but if you like it, it's still holds ground against the newcomers due to keen pricing/deals. Usually able to get a better overall deal than what you'll get on the 'big two', and no unreasonable wait times for delivery. Due for a complete model change within 18 months.

Navara: Notoriously thirsty, and a little rough compared to current competition. Deals not as good as it's low sales volume might suggest, as most Nissan dealers are overwhelmed with March buyers, and Sylphy tire kickers. Will be sharing a new platform with Mistu within 18 months.

Colorado: New engines not as good IRL as they look on paper, and as the donor responsible for the D-Max's not-so-pretty interior, it doesn't do any better here. Best availability of all the 'next-gen' trucks though, and some models stand out as value buys.

Ranger: Completely botched launch (delayed almost a year to begin with) and continuing production problems cripple this option. If you're willing to wait a long time, and aren't afraid of buyer's remorse when Mitsu/Nissan and Toyota bring out their next-gen, go for it.. The 809K 4-door XLT is especially great value, if you can get one...

BT-50: Surprising everyone (including Mazda) with it's sales success. Polarising styling that's probably more in line with your wife's taste than your own. Bizzarely, does not appear to be as badly effected by production difficulties as the Ranger, even though both share the same platform, and Mazda outsells the Ford. If you can bring yourself to like the styling, definitely worth considering.

Hey, no more 'dilemma' for me..I finally got my 2.2 XLT 4Dr AT last week for the 'first' price of 799K!!...no complains IMHO thumbsup.gif

My first vehicle in Thailand was an Isuzu D-max and no complaints

It ran well and the after sales service was really really I inexpensive

Subsequent vehicles have been cars rather than trucks (smaller and better for city driving)....

Have had both Toyota and Nissan cars, but the service for the D-max was by far the cheapest

Hey, no more 'dilemma' for me..I finally got my 2.2 XLT 4Dr AT last week for the 'first' price of 799K!!...no complains IMHO thumbsup.gif

The latest retail price for the 2.2 XLT 4 dr AT Hi-rider is 819k

Thanks funcat. That's pretty comprehensive. Any idea on the BT50 3.2 waiting times?

I actually don't mind the styling of the BT50. The lights are a bit of a shock at first but they look worse in pics than in the metal, I reckon.

Edited by NBD

Thanks funcat. That's pretty comprehensive. Any idea on the BT50 3.2 waiting times?

I actually don't mind the styling of the BT50. The lights are a bit of a shock at first but they look worse in pics than in the metal, I reckon.

...no idea...BT-50 looks great BTW...but needs some styling touch up,like the grill...and lights(both front and rear) smile.png

Photo from MazdaClub

post-60959-0-57602300-1347067392_thumb.j

...no idea...BT-50 looks great BTW...but needs some styling touch up,like the grill...and lights(both front and rear) smile.png

Photo from MazdaClub

waiting for someone to wrap it up like a great white shark and stick a fin on the roof!

I have had the Mazda now for over a month (2.2), and am very happy with it. Was hesitating between the Mazda and the Isuzu beforehand, but decided for the Mazda because it simply at the moment offering best value for money, most car. The 100.000 baht or so it will cost me when I sell it on will cancel out the rebate, so be it.

I will have to join the choir and say get an Isuzu. I love their interior and it looks nice and modern.

The Mazda just looks super gay. Looks gay in the front but the rear lights are a disaster.

mazda-bt-50-rear.jpg

mazda-bt-50-2012-olgbn-1-400x254.jpg

but there are things you can do to minimize the gay like this

Mazda-BT-50-Lamp-Detail.jpg

Just get a Dmax.

Edited by thaicruze

• 2 weeks later...

I will have to join the choir and say get an Isuzu. I love their interior and it looks nice and modern.

The Mazda just looks super gay. Looks gay in the front but the rear lights are a disaster.

mazda-bt-50-rear.jpg

mazda-bt-50-2012-olgbn-1-400x254.jpg

but there are things you can do to minimize the gay like this

Mazda-BT-50-Lamp-Detail.jpg

Just get a Dmax.

As you said the front maybe gay.....not that there is anything wrong with that. But the rear end is as you say 'a disaster'. bah.gif

must it really be a truck? the rebate is pretty low between 13000 to 20000 iirc. might as well make full use of her tax rebate for a smaller car with rebate of 100k.

Pls, inform yourself, there is no tax rebate at all. Why would that be? And how could the government give a tax rebate to only a few?????

Is that the case in your place?

There is however a return of the excise tax (10%) possible, which can be as high as 100.000 Baht as it is limited to cars up to one million. There comes the first buyer program.

And of course it is not limited to 1.500 ccm as the last one of these was seen probably in the early sixties. At least recently i have not heard of a new Pick Up with engine sized 1500.....w00t.gif

Info is available on gov. sites with models, engines and possible returns of mentioned excise taxes and conditions.

(This will be the next topic as some "readers" will quote from 2010 and favor only a tax rebate on your personal income tax.

Now This would only be fair as it concerns 98% percent of all Thais, right??

Please stop correcting people about semantics, if anything.

A nice comparison about pickups in the post today:

http://www.bangkokpo...e-driver-s-seat

Among the leaders : BT-50, Ranger, Vigo (in that order).

Might help some to get a helicopter view, even though the article mainly focuses on the shortcomings of the Toyota.

I think in the article they are in general very positive about the Vigo. With a 3rd place for an outdated model it is really doing very well in this comparison.

When the new model arrives I would expect it to rank even higher.