Chocolate, What Do You Eat, Buy, Miss, Dream?

Ciocco

I think a lot of it is just getting used to any particular taste. I started out with the 70% cacao bars, but now only use the 85% bars from Lindt, which are better from a health standpoint.

I tried the 90% Lindt bars along the way, but just couldn't handle those. But the 85% ones now are quite nice. It's kind of like the difference between a regular cup of coffee and a strong expresso -- the first time it tastes bitter and strong, but after a few, you grow to like it.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reddyboy biggrin.png

That's cos I still have the following in fridge:

Dairy Milk - Aus version

Kitkat family break - Aus version

Hersheys nuggets milk choc - classic bag size

Reeses nutrageous

Tiny toblerone - 50 piece bag

Kagi mini - premium swiss choc wafers (these are sensatiomal!)

A basic hazelnut choc bar... Swiss made

And a couple of small bars from dean n deluca

tongue.png

Not a fan of Turkish delight, or minties Chocs or jaffas

Ps just saw mrtwo above and have to ask.....what's a combatrin

PODS from aus are good though..... I won't say no to donations. Maltesers accepted too

Have you tried Nestle's Walnut Whip ? w00t.gif ............more-ish. whistling.gif ........thumbsup.gif

I bet you eat the walnut, bite the top off and scoop the cream out with your tongue leaving the chocolate shell to eat. thumbsup.gifbiggrin.png

I recommended the 78% to one of my buddies who only eats 85%, but he won't go any lower. However, he dips the 85% bars in honey to make them palatable. I don't see the point.

At 118 Baht a bar, I restrict myself to a few squares daily for health, which is good because if it were cheap I'd eat a couple of bars daily and gain weight and negate the healthy thing. I actually try for the 90% which I've seen in TOPS, but if not the 85% is the lowest I go.

If you look around, eventually, most of the farang oriented markets that carry the Lindt Cacao chocolates have them on sale for 108 baht or sometimes less.

Last time I was back in the U.S., Target had them on sale for $2.29 a piece, or about 70 baht.

I've also ordered a 12-bar case of the 85% via Amazon.com that sometimes is on special for about $25, just over $2 per. And been able to include those in my regular monthly mail forwarding package without any added expense, because the weight comes in below my 4 lbs. allocation.

Why is dark chocolate more healthy ?

I have never liked it as to rich tasting.

You need to build a taste for it...like black coffee. It goes well with your favorite whiskey and someone to share it...

dark chocolate has long held a reputation as an effective aphrodisiac

• 2 weeks later...

Never quite understand ... what exactly is the point of posting here about a good deal/sale on something, but not giving any details that would allow those interested in the deal/sale to take advantage of it???

Cos it might all be gone tomorrow with the rush and I might want more.

Call me selfish, but good chocolate deals in bangkok are few and far between.

PM me if you really want me to share.

Awwww shucks, I was going to get all nasty n such and blame the mods for me not wanting to share my chocolate information...based on a little PM altercation...but, Migs post gave me a smile so go your hardest, pig out on some rather nice swiss chocolate.

The Villa in soi 11 has it, I would presume all villa's would have it and it is the 'Frey' brand and they have 2 for 1 deal on about 4 of their range....all good.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Awwww shucks, I was going to get all nasty n such and blame the mods for me not wanting to share my chocolate information...based on a little PM altercation...but, Migs post gave me a smile so go your hardest, pig out on some rather nice swiss chocolate.

The Villa in soi 11 has it, I would presume all villa's would have it and it is the 'Frey' brand and they have 2 for 1 deal on about 4 of their range....all good.

Yes, Frey Extra Fine Milk chocolate is by far the best milk chocolate on sale in Thailand today. Comes in 35g and 100g bars, the former sold in some 7-11s. It is a Swiss brand and far superior to Lindt milk chocolate. Frey is beautifully creamy, whereas Lindt has a nasty saltiness to it.

Cadbury's Dairy Milk is almost as good, but has disappeared from Thailand for some reason. Of the commonly available brands now found in 7-11, Van Houten is atrocious and Hershey's is unspeakable. How they manage to sell these two brands is beyond my understanding.

• 2 weeks later...

I am Belgian and import 5kg of Cote d'Or 2x/year, mainly Pure Black Praline.

Will look in to that block of 5 kg bitter black Callebout next visit.

Neuhaus are my preferred pralines, eat some in Belgium, they are getting expensive nowadays, 35 euro/kg?

The white manons from Leonidas are excellent for the price.

I now stay away from all chocolate sold in Thailand, they must be processed to resist the 30C+ temperature.

Bought some Ritter and they do not taste right. Don't even mention Herseys, pure crap.

I am Belgian and import 5kg of Cote d'Or 2x/year, mainly Pure Black Praline.

Will look in to that block of 5 kg bitter black Callebout next visit.

Neuhaus are my preferred pralines, eat some in Belgium, they are getting expensive nowadays, 35 euro/kg?

The white manons from Leonidas are excellent for the price.

I now stay away from all chocolate sold in Thailand, they must be processed to resist the 30C+ temperature.

Bought some Ritter and they do not taste right. Don't even mention Herseys, pure crap.

Ditto...

I always bring back plenty of Cote d'Or "Noir de Noir" + some Kwatta pure cocoa powder for pastry.

Barry-Callebaut 5kg "bloc de couverture" has been widely available in Thailand through hospitality industry suppliers.... but nowadays it seems that Belgolade and Valrhona are leading the professional market.

I miss Scharffen Berger chocolate nibs, Trader Joe's pound plus bars (dark chocolate 70% and dark chocolate almond) and Teuscher pralines and truffles, Sees CALIFORNIA BRITTLE and CASHEW BRITTLE (always load up on chocolate when I go home).

The last time I came back the customs agent checked my luggage as one of the random searches. He asked if I was selling chocolate in Bangkok. I said no this is my personal consumption for at least a year. He just laughed.

Like the other poster, I don't usually buy chocolate in Thailand due to different formulation for heat. Royce chocolate (from Japan is good $$$ at Paragon-used to have a neighbor who was a flight attendant who brought some back from Japan for me).