Chocolate, What Do You Eat, Buy, Miss, Dream?

Ciocco

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reddyboy :D

That's cos I still have the following in fridge:

Dairy Milk - Aus version

Kitkat family break - Aus version

Hersheys nuggets milk choc - classic bag size

Reeses nutrageous

Tiny toblerone - 50 piece bag

Kagi mini - premium swiss choc wafers (these are sensatiomal!)

A basic hazelnut choc bar... Swiss made

And a couple of small bars from dean n deluca

:P

Not a fan of Turkish delight, or minties Chocs or jaffas

Ps just saw mrtwo above and have to ask.....what's a combatrin

PODS from aus are good though..... I won't say no to donations. Maltesers accepted too

Reddyboy biggrin.png

Dairy Milk - Aus version

Reeses nutrageous

tongue.png

PODS from aus are good though..... I won't say no to donations. Maltesers accepted too

Have you tried Nestle's Walnut Whip ? w00t.gif ............more-ish. whistling.gif ........thumbsup.gif

Reddyboy biggrin.png

Dairy Milk - Aus version

Reeses nutrageous

tongue.png

Have you tried Nestle's Walnut Whip ? w00t.gif ............more-ish. whistling.gif ........thumbsup.gif

The coffee whips were fantastic

Reddyboy biggrin.png

Dairy Milk - Aus version

Reeses nutrageous

tongue.png

Thats more like it.......it is a case of my fridge is more chocbiggrin.png olatey than yours!

• Like 1

Had some lovely chocolate from Australia recently, Combantrin.

Never heard of Conbantrim chocolate so I looked on Google,which told be that Contrambin chocolate squares were for treating roundworm and other worm infestations....so...hope it worked for you !!

• Like 1

Never heard of Conbantrim chocolate so I looked on Google,which told be that Contrambin chocolate squares were for treating roundworm and other worm infestations....so...hope it worked for you !!

Put a coupla kilos on, so think it did the job and got rid of that big tapeworm.

Snake free eh. thumbsup.gif ...............laugh.png

i know i going to get flamed by this but i love m&m peanuts and battered mars bar. the m&m peanuts here taste really different. chocolate with crispy batter is just plain lovely wub.png

Regarding the M&M peanuts, I was reading just last week that they have both a low glycemic index and a low glycemic load, so you might just be OK. The deep fried Mars bar? No comment.

I myself just eat a couple of squares of quality dark 70% + chocolate from Europe or South America, but I don't reside in Thailand. The worst chocolate bar I had in my life was on a visit a couple of years ago on the Nong Khai border. After a few bites, had to throw it out.

One of the best I had was some choc bar from brazil. Bought in a small supermarket in china of all places.

I didn't take note of the name, and just picked up a few random things from the shelves to try. Got back to hotel , had some, including those yummy one mmmmmmm

Sorry cant tell u the name cos I can't remember lol

i know i going to get flamed by this but i love m&m peanuts and battered mars bar. the m&m peanuts here taste really different. chocolate with crispy batter is just plain lovely wub.png

i use to like those fake M&M's called Rocklets.

They have disappeared from CNX. Pity, they were just as good as M&M's but cheaper.

My choice for satisfying my sweet tooth but not wrecking my health is Lindt 85% Cacao dark chocolate bars, which sell at most farang markets around BKK for between 110 and 120 baht per 100g bar.

Those have roughly equal amounts of protein and sugar, 4 to 5 grams per serving. That's supposed to be a good balance for health.

The last time I was shopping in the U.S., the same bars were selling in stores for about $3 a piece, and on sale sometimes for $2.30 or so -- so somewhat higher priced here but not a lot higher compared to adding shipping in.

Amazon, meanwhile, sometimes sells 12 packs of those chocolate bars on sale for about $25 for the small case, which totals about 3 lbs.

I'm pretty much eating no refined sugar right now, other than some dark chocolate from time to time, but to me, the Lindt 85% Cacao dark chocolate bars do not do it for me as not sweet enough. I mostly stick to another brand that is 78% dark chocolate - so still very healthy - and tastes really good.

Edited by Ulysses G.

The higher cacao amounts in the dark chocolate will mean less sugar and more protein... That's better for your health...

Whereas one serving of the 85% cacao might have 4-7 grams of sugar or so depending on the brand, regular chocolates and lesser dark chocolates may have several times that much sugar per serving...

I like regular chocolate/candy as much as anyone else. But I found that once you get used to the choices like the 85% cacao, it's quite delicious and satisfying. You don't eat it like a Snickers bar, but rather, just bite it a bit into smaller pieces and it kind of melts in your mouth. Very delicious.

• Like 1

For me, eating a few squares of 70%+ dark chocolate is one of life's luxuries. The equivalent of my daily ration of one bottle or can of beer in the evening. Both supposedly good for the heart, but over the years I've also seen enough back and forth changes in food research to take all health claims with a grain of salt (sorry for the pun). smile.png

Edited by Taggart

If you're expecting the taste of a Hershey's chocolate bar or a Snickers or something like that in the high cacao chocolates, it's just not going to happen. The run-of-the-mill grocery store chocolates are filled with sugar, and produce that VERY sweet taste and sugar high.

The high cacao chocolates have far less sugar, and thus a very different taste profile... Just take two squares out of the bar, break each square into four small pieces, and then slowly eat one small piece at a time, chewing each one just a bit and then letting it melt and dissolve in your month.

If you do it that way, the 100g bar will last you 4 or 5 days.... Try that approach, and then make your judgment at the end of the week.

• Like 1

Just to be clear, I take each scored square from the 100g bar, and by hand break each square into four smaller pieces... Break the square in half, and then each half in half again. So thus two scored squares from the bar are ultimately broken into 8 small pieces.

Because this kind of chocolate is much stronger, so to speak, you don't typically want to eat it the same way you would a regular chocolate bar.

Just to be clear, I take each scored square from the 100g bar, and by hand break each square into four smaller pieces... Break the square in half, and then each half in half again. So thus two scored squares from the bar are ultimately broken into 8 small pieces.

Because this kind of chocolate is much stronger, so to speak, you don't typically want to eat it the same way you would a regular chocolate bar.

If i did this in our house....the chocolate would be gone every time somebody opened the fridge! rolleyes.gif

On the strength of a post in here, I bought that lindt 70% cocoa dark chocolate today and it was quite....horrid.

Not for my tastes, but the 10yo chocoholic said 'not bad'

Compared to the 85% dark chocolate 70% tastes great. I have been on a strict diet with no other deserts for 6 months and 70% tastes wonderful to me now.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1