Chocolate, What Do You Eat, Buy, Miss, Dream?

Ciocco

I miss Scharffen Berger chocolate nibs, Trader Joe's pound plus bars (dark chocolate 70% and dark chocolate almond) and Teuscher pralines and truffles, Sees CALIFORNIA BRITTLE and CASHEW BRITTLE (always load up on chocolate when I go home).

The last time I came back the customs agent checked my luggage as one of the random searches. He asked if I was selling chocolate in Bangkok. I said no this is my personal consumption for at least a year. He just laughed.

Like the other poster, I don't usually buy chocolate in Thailand due to different formulation for heat. Royce chocolate (from Japan is good $$$ at Paragon-used to have a neighbor who was a flight attendant who brought some back from Japan for me).

Don't see how the top grade chocolates would have a different formulation for hot climates. They would have to change the fat used from cocoa butter to something else. I read labels pretty compulsively and whether it's Lindt's or Freys or Callebaut or Carmona or etc., they only use cocoa butter for fat.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered some chocolate from the U.S. over the holidays.... They arrived here by mail in January on a not particularly warm day.

One case of Lindt 85% cacao bars -- firm and no sign of melting when I opened the first one that day.

One case of Reese's peanut butter-chocolates -- soft and exterior chocolate melting, until I put them in the frig.