1-Week Demolition Deadline For Illegal Koh Samet Resorts

webfact

1-week demolition deadline for illegal Samet resorts

THE NATION

30189754-01_big.JPG

RAYONG: -- Owners of illegally built resorts on the tourist island of Samet in Rayong province have to dismantle their installations within this week or forest rangers will have to step in, the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation announced yesterday.

The owner of three of the resorts had promised to tear them all down by the end of last month, DNP director-general Damrong Phidej said. However, he added, there were no signs of demolition so far.

"I will wait until the end of the week, and will inspect the sites on September 8, and order them to be torn down if they are not all gone," he said.

A team of forest rangers surveying the resorts by boat faced problems reaching the shore due to the many buoys obstructing them and the lack of piers.

Among the many resorts, three face immediate demolition, namely Ploy Samet, Unseen Samet and Muk Samet, all of which encroach into the sea. Rangers trying to check on them were prevented from entering Ploy Samet.

In another crackdown on illegal buildings in Thab Lan National Park in Prachin Buri and Nakhon Ratchasima, 22 will be subject to demolition under court orders, he said.

Responding to an order to transfer Charoen Jaichon as chief of Khao Laem National Park in Kanchanaburi, Damrong said he originally intended to appoint him chief of Khao Chamao-Khao Wong National Park in Chanthaburi. An internal investigation into allegations that Charoen had demanded Bt200,000 in bribe found him not guilty.

Damrong said the probe was completed on August 24, but he had not officially endorsed it because he was overseas at the time. He said Charoen had complained about him not signing the probe result and lodged a petition with outside agencies and a House committee on natural resources and environment.

"I will meet the House panel today to discuss the issue," Damrong added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-05

A team of forest rangers surveying the resorts by boat faced problems reaching the shore due to the many buoys obstructing them and the lack of piers

Those buoys are dangerous things!!

It stretches credulity to believe they could not have reached shore in some manner. More likely they didn't want to get water on themselves

I am not sure letting the owners of these buildings, demolish them is a very good idea.

I am sure they where told to be very careful and not let any of the debris fall in the the sea, but I would assume that is exactly where most of it will go.

A team of forest rangers surveying the resorts by boat faced problems reaching the shore due to the many buoys obstructing them and the lack of piers

Those buoys are dangerous things!!

It stretches credulity to believe they could not have reached shore in some manner. More likely they didn't want to get water on themselves

In the picture I can see a boat tied to a dock and I dont see any buoys, at least at this one resort shown witch I believe is Ban Ploy (not poly) googled the other 2 on the list, boats tied to docks no buoys.

What is the incentive for the owners to dismantle unless they have somewhere else to re-assemble?

As it is they can wait till the last minute, in the hope of someone being able to be paid off.

Failing that they can just have someone else deal with all the demolition issues.

"A team of forest rangers surveying the resorts by boat faced problems reaching the shore due to the many buoys obstructing them and the lack of piers."

Perhaps it was the envelopes with tea money attached to the buoys which were obstructing them from reaching shore.

Koh Samet, like all island, is a very scary place. It is run by a group of families (3?) who basically can do whatever they want (including beat people up, act like <deleted>, possibly rape).

The mainland police encroaching on this island can only be a good thing because at the moment it is lawless -

Really, I've been visiting and staying on Koh Samet for more than 20 years and have Thai family who live there. A lot of the land for resorts was actually illegally obtained by Thai politicians by falsifying documentation. With regards to violence & intimidation are you talking about Thai on Thai?

• Like 1

The owner of three of the resorts had promised to tear them all down by the end of last month, DNP director-general Damrong Phidej said.

Who is the owner?

Among the many resorts, three face immediate demolition, namely Ploy Samet, Unseen Samet and Muk Samet, all of which encroach into the sea.

All three are still book-able online for October (as an example). :ermm:

• Like 1

When there at it why don't they get rid of all the punk and garbage in the island at the same time..it's junk all over the place and nobody seems to care..

Nobody does care, because there are no locals -- all the 'owners' are mainlanders who moved in once tourist operations were allowed.

And as for the knuckle-draggers who sit in that booth collecting cash for entering the National Park ... if one of them has ever picked up a plastic bag I'd be vastly surprised.

• Like 1

And as for the knuckle-draggers who sit in that booth collecting cash for entering the National Park ... if one of them has ever picked up a plastic bag I'd be vastly surprised.

Even in 26 days and people are then paying 500 baht to go past their booth, the trash will still remain and the road will still resemble that of a northern Laos jungle trail.

What is the incentive for the owners to dismantle unless they have somewhere else to re-assemble?

The Ploy Samed is part of a group on the island. They have a big operation on Sai Kaew beach, Ploy Talay. Ploy Talay was my favorite place to stay years ago, until they built a huge pumping bar and disco that rocks into the wee hours. Now I spend more on accommodations and stay at Samed Villas, as far away from the noise as possible.

They make money hand over fist. I don't feel the least bit sorry for them.

Edited by bino
  • Like 1

The Ploy Samed is part of a group on the island. They have a big operation on Sai Kaew beach, Ploy Talay. Ploy Talay was my favorite place to stay years ago, until they built a huge pumping bar and disco that rocks into the wee hours. Now I spend more on accommodations and stay at Samed Villas, as far away from the noise as possible.

They make money hand over fist. I don't feel the least bit sorry for them.

in 2010 i booked a room at muk-samed for my 2 friends, they were happy staying there. i found out later that all 3 have the same owner and the ticket office is in bangkok. i used to pay 'em electronically 20 % b4 the arrival. i ain't know the services. Feel the same.... No mercy for 'em.