French Tourist Killed, Another Comatose In Phuket Motorbike Crash

webfact

RIP to the dead man and let's hope the other man recovers. Every day I see these new tourists driving bikes over the hills between Patong & Karon. Many have no idea how to ride a m/bike, See plenty in the side ditch. Often wondered how they did that, then one day I was driving way behind a couple of bikes going down the hill near the Meridien road end. One goes too close to the tarmac edge, slides on the grass, and into the ditch. His mate looks back and looses control of his bike. Neither hurt other than their pride.

"Many have no idea how to ride a m/bike" - yes, and as someone who got their British bike licence 30 years before coming to the LoS, i've wondered for a long time just what is the percentage of travelers who jump on a hired bike in a foreign country, and set out on their first-ever biking experience - scary. This is far more likely in recent decades than when i was a teenager and lack of funds and/or cultural cool meant that many peoples' first mode of transport was a motorbike rather than a car as it is these days. RIP, and good luck to the survivor.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friends were staying at the same hotel they were in Patong. Word is that they went off to Kata because there was no alcohol in Patong Sunday (election day). Terrible shame whatever the circumstances.

Also it should be said that a helmut, though certainly a wise idea, will just not make a difference in some accidents. Especially some of the poor excuses for helmets that I've seen worn here. If you are going to have a helmet law, it would stand to reason that there should be an established safety standard of manufacture for the helmets themselves.

Nobody without a full bike licence should be able to hire any bike over 125cc.

I only got as far as : "Nobody without a full bike licence should be able to hire any bike" - unrealistic i know, but i have a 130cc Kawasaki ZX sport bike that goes like hell and is easily fast enough to get an inexperienced rider in trouble real soon. There are 125cc bikes that are also pretty quick - especially 2-stroke sports models - so it is not a soft option. To really get inside a safe capacity restriction, i'd nominate 50cc.

I dare say Phuket needs an affordable public transport system but at 3.40am? A lot of countries/islands around the world have this same problem. Tourists arrive and hire bikes and end up with road rash or worse.

RIP

Robert, about 1000kms north of Phuket is a place called Pattaya where a baht bus system has been operating for years. Yes, Pattaya is in Thailand. They have baht buses, we don't.

One can only wonder how many lifes, injuries, muggings and theft the baht buses in Pattaya have saved, while people are dying, almost on a daily basis, on Phuket.

It's a disgrace.

• Like 1

No helmets? Alcohol? This was no accident. Sounds more like a combination suicide/attempted vehicular manslaughter to me.

Riiiiight. Let's fly to Thailand, rent a motorbike, get drunk and then crash it on purpose to commit suicide!!! Ridiculous!!!

Believe it or not, crashing a motor vehicle, at high speed and on purpose, is the method of choice for suicide of depressed people whose life insurance does not cover suicide.

It is recorded as a motor vehicle accident, not a suicide, and the insurance company pays out to the next of kin.

I'm not saying that's what has occured here, but it has happened.

Edited by NamKangMan

Robert, about 1000kms north of Phuket is a place called Pattaya where a baht bus system has been operating for years. Yes, Pattaya is in Thailand. They have baht buses, we don't.

One can only wonder how many lifes, injuries, muggings and theft the baht buses in Pattaya have saved, while people are dying, almost on a daily basis, on Phuket.

It's a disgrace.

Have they moved Pattaya now? I wasn't aware of that... whistling.gif

Sorry, but i haven't met too many foreigners here who don't drink and drive.

Alcohol does people make to advanced motorcycle drivers, as it's changing men's view regarding not so good looking girls....

Even "Superman" died after falling off a horseback many moons ago.-----wai.gif

I realise you said this in jest....however, Christopher Reeve (superman) actually died 11 years after his accident. And he was not drunk. He was also wearing a helmet which saved his life.

I dare say Phuket needs an affordable public transport system but at 3.40am? A lot of countries/islands around the world have this same problem. Tourists arrive and hire bikes and end up with road rash or worse.

RIP

It's a disgrace.

Agreed but there are many sights around the island of Phuket and the distances are greater than in Pattaya. Tourists will always want to rent a bike.

for the convenience.

Agreed but there are many sights around the island of Phuket and the distances are greater than in Pattaya. Tourists will always want to rent a bike.

for the convenience.

Some tourists would still rent a bike. I think many would use the baht buses and reasonably priced taxis, especially at night.

It's a disgrace.

for the convenience.

If there were baht buses only plying the coast, that alone, would save hundreds of lives a year.

Those hills surrounding Patong have claimed many lives over the years.

I'm wondering exactly how many...

Those steep, windy hills are difficult enough sober, that's for sure. Rest in peace young man.

Edited by piewarmer

Those hills surrounding Patong have claimed many lives over the years.

I'm wondering exactly how many...

Those steep, windy hills are difficult enough sober, that's for sure. Rest in peace young man.

This particular accident happened along Karon beach road which is a flat 2+ Km stretch with only one gentle bend. That one bend seems to be where the accident happened (back of the Arcadia). I can only guess they were blasting along the long straight and misjudged the 'gentle' bend.

"One French tourist is dead and another remains in coma after the motorbike they were riding crashed on the beach road in Karon before dawn yesterday."

Motorbikes don't crash motorbikes, people crash motorbikes.

You don't understand English. The motorbikes crashed and the men (probably) caused the crash - unless there was a mechanical failure.

"People crash motorbikes" is grammatically wrong.

Only the thai govt is to blame. Anyone who isnt part of the lower tier of the human brain scale knows that humans need to be babysat for their own safety. Knowing they wont get into trouble for not wearing a helmet means that 85%+ of the tourists won't wear one. If they had heard that policiemen do their jobs it would drop to around 15%

What happened to individual responsibility? If they didn't wear helmets then they only have themselves to blame.

Looks like it's the bend on the beach road in front of the arcadia. If you're going fast, it's dark out and you don't know the road, that bend is an accident waiting to happen.They should at least have reflectors there for oncoming traffic to see as well as having those reflectors that are in the middle of the road so you get an advanced warning of the change in the road coming up.

It's a disgrace.

for the convenience.

If there were baht buses only plying the coast, that alone, would save hundreds of lives a year.

So why don't you start a baht bus service if it's such a good idea?

It would be a great commercial success, trouble is that the local tuktuk mafia would beat the drivers to a pulp. The beating of the first and only bus service between Patong and Karon a few years back is well documented in the Phuket Gazette.

It would be a great commercial success, trouble is that the local tuktuk mafia would beat the drivers to a pulp. The beating of the first and only bus service between Patong and Karon a few years back is well documented in the Phuket Gazette.

Hi could you please share the link to this article? I couldn't find the exact piece.

Hi could you please share the link to this article? I couldn't find the exact piece.

Read ...

http://www.thaivisa....uket-bus-plans/

http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=944

Only the thai govt is to blame. Anyone who isnt part of the lower tier of the human brain scale knows that humans need to be babysat for their own safety. Knowing they wont get into trouble for not wearing a helmet means that 85%+ of the tourists won't wear one. If they had heard that policiemen do their jobs it would drop to around 15%

What happened to individual responsibility? If they didn't wear helmets then they only have themselves to blame.

individual responsibility makes a country like thailand

the oposite would be singapore. Look how nice singapore is.

How ironic there is a tuk-tuk in the background of the photo of the wrecked motorbike and this death and serious injury comes at the start of the Mayor's fifth term in office.

Of the many tourist, expats and locals, who have died on this island in a motor vehicle accident, how many of them may have taken the option of using proper and affordable public transport, should it ever exist here???? Just like they would in their home country, when going on a night out.

How many more will die until Phuket has an affordable public transport system????

RIP Mr. Donny and a speedy recover for Mr. Heras.

it does exist, whats unaffordable about a 300 - 400 baht price from Kata-karon to Patong, compare that price to what you would pay

in a westerrn nation, her in the Uk you might pay twice more, when planning your holiday you should Budget for such services

Read ...

http://www.thaivisa....uket-bus-plans/

http://www.phuketgaz...ails.asp?id=944

That's appalling.

What are you talking about? Wearing a helmet or not did not cause the accident!!!! Hitting a curb did!

How ironic there is a tuk-tuk in the background of the photo of the wrecked motorbike and this death and serious injury comes at the start of the Mayor's fifth term in office.

Of the many tourist, expats and locals, who have died on this island in a motor vehicle accident, how many of them may have taken the option of using proper and affordable public transport, should it ever exist here???? Just like they would in their home country, when going on a night out.

How many more will die until Phuket has an affordable public transport system????

Affordable public transport system!!!!!

But there are taxis, motorbike taxis, Tuk Tuks all over the place.

One must realize that the going belief is that just about ANYTHING GOES IN THAILAND.

Smoking everywhere, drinking, driving on adrenaline rush, not wearing a helmet, going too fast on unknown roads being on top of the list. In this instance, a powerful motorbike and trying to impress most probably.

Adding to the transportation system will not add judgment to tourists, and will certainly not diminish their level of testosterone.

Requiescat in pacem...hopefully not to become requiescant

It's a disgrace.

for the convenience.

Yes of course.

And also if vehicles ran on tracks rather than roads, if speed limits were 30 km an hour everywhere, and all vehicles were locked at a maximum of 30 km an hour, if all vehicles starters were equipped with alcool breathalizers.

Must be some more patronizing possibilities out there...

A movie just came out here titled "Derapages". Stories of people who died in road accidents and interviews of people who were lucky enough to survive.

Mostly adolescents, and telling anyone who would care to listen that they do not care about road regulations, that nothing would stop them from getting the adrenaline rush of driving twice or more the speed limit.

They do not care.

Does that sound familiar to those who know about Thailand?

So many tourists hire motorbikes when in Thailand on holiday. It's a cheap mode of transport and a feeling of freedom. But to ride without a helmet is just asking for trouble. On strange roads at night that are in poor to moderate condition, poor lighting, road signs left out on the roads etc. It's a recipe for disaster without even including speed or alcohol into the equation.

I agree with the posters about the tuk tuk "mafia" and their exhorbitant prices.

Even if you are super cautious on a motorbike and wearing a helmet there's no guarantee that some Thai idiot car or truck driver won't kill you.

it does exist, whats unaffordable about a 300 - 400 baht price from Kata-karon to Patong, compare that price to what you would pay

in a westerrn nation, her in the Uk you might pay twice more, when planning your holiday you should Budget for such services

It's 400 baht into Patong in the afternoon, and 800 baht to go home, later in the evening.

During low season, you get quite a reasonable hotel room for 1000 baht a night.

So, for less than a 10 km journey, return, everyday, you are paying more for transport than your accommodation for your holiday.

Transport on Phuket is the "hidden" cost of having your holiday here.

So, what do people do when they see "Motorbike for Rent - 200 baht a day" - they rent a motorbike, with many of them ending up injured and some of them ending up dead.

Now, compare that to Pattaya, where you can cover the majority of the tourist area, pretty much 24 hours a day, for 10 baht a ride, and you will see Phuket has REAL issue with NOT having an affordable public transport system.

The lack of which, is clearly shown in the death and injury here cause by motor vehicle accidents.

Affordable public transport system!!!!!

But there are taxis, motorbike taxis, Tuk Tuks all over the place.

One must realize that the going belief is that just about ANYTHING GOES IN THAILAND.

Smoking everywhere, drinking, driving on adrenaline rush, not wearing a helmet, going too fast on unknown roads being on top of the list. In this instance, a powerful motorbike and trying to impress most probably.

Adding to the transportation system will not add judgment to tourists, and will certainly not diminish their level of testosterone.

Requiescat in pacem...hopefully not to become requiescant

Can you tell me where the metered taxi rank is in Patong please????