French Tourist Killed, Another Comatose In Phuket Motorbike Crash

webfact

Looks like it's the bend on the beach road in front of the arcadia. If you're going fast, it's dark out and you don't know the road, that bend is an accident waiting to happen.They should at least have reflectors there for oncoming traffic to see as well as having those reflectors that are in the middle of the road so you get an advanced warning of the change in the road coming up.

What a great idea. Works well in Western countries, so do we think it's going to be adopted in Thailand? Unlikely.

Even driving a car at night at proper speed anywhere in Phuket is an effort with all the poor roads and poor lighting let alone other crazy traffic.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am so over all this crap

today two killed in an accident in sydney .....to me the tragedy is only if innocents coming the other way r killed if u r drunk and speeding what do u expect ...<deleted>......several years ago in patts saw an innocent person run off the road and killed on 2nd rd the bastards ....foreigners just kept driving i was flying out the next day ...often hoped they got the cxxxxnts

Robert, about 1000kms north of Phuket is a place called Pattaya where a baht bus system has been operating for years. Yes, Pattaya is in Thailand. They have baht buses, we don't.

One can only wonder how many lifes, injuries, muggings and theft the baht buses in Pattaya have saved, while people are dying, almost on a daily basis, on Phuket.

It's a disgrace.

Agreed but there are many sights around the island of Phuket and the distances are greater than in Pattaya. Tourists will always want to rent a bike.

for the convenience.

If there were baht buses only plying the coast, that alone, would save hundreds of lives a year.

Yes of course.

And also if vehicles ran on tracks rather than roads, if speed limits were 30 km an hour everywhere, and all vehicles were locked at a maximum of 30 km an hour, if all vehicles starters were equipped with alcool breathalizers.

Must be some more patronizing possibilities out there...

A movie just came out here titled "Derapages". Stories of people who died in road accidents and interviews of people who were lucky enough to survive.

Mostly adolescents, and telling anyone who would care to listen that they do not care about road regulations, that nothing would stop them from getting the adrenaline rush of driving twice or more the speed limit.

They do not care.

Does that sound familiar to those who know about Thailand?

The question will always be, would "they" - as in the many deceased and injured here, would have caught a baht bus, if going out drinking for the night, if a baht bus system existed here????

Sure, some will continue to drink/ride - but I would argue that if a baht bus system was in place, at even 30 baht a ride (3 times the cost of a similar journey in Pattaya) hundreds of people, including tourist, expats and locals, would use the service, rather than ride a motorbike. Especially when going out drinking. Also considering it costs 20 baht to park your motobike in many places surrounding Bangla Road.

A baht bus system would not be an "experiment" for Phuket. There has been one in place in Pattaya for years and it's a success. It would be automatically popular here, and profitable for the operators.

At the very least, Phuket should have metered taxis cruising around, similar to Bangkok.

Don't forget, Andre, this French guy could have crashed into you and/or your family, and killed you/them as well.

It's in everybody's interest that Phuket has a proper and affordable public transport system for all.

Currently, all we have is a rip off/scam system and death, injury and traffic, and this is Thailand's premier tourist island.

Edited by NamKangMan

I do agree with you that many things could be done to improve security in Thailand. I do know that I take a risk everytime I ride my motorbike in Phuket. I see many farangs and Thai driving like crazy, not caring for themselves or others.

I am just not sure that these french people would have traded a nice fast bike for a Tuk Tuk ride. The young men love the freedom of riding motorbikes.

Most of the people I see in Tuk Tuk are families and older people.

But societies make cost/benefit choices in many domains. I did see some studies that calculated how many people would die depending on given actions from our government here. And the decision was based on costs, whether funds were available to save more lives.

Speed limits in countries are set for convenience and cost savings purposes, not to save all lives.

Most probably Thailand thinks it is more cost effective to have the transportation system they have now, with the resulting death toll. Not unlike the way it is in our own country. Just a tad more crazy in Thailand. But it is the way it is. And many farangs come here just because of that. Or is the government afraid of the transportation mafia in Phuket???

The first thing that needs to be done is to create FEAR in the mind of people. Currently, people drive in front of the police station, without a helmet, and talking on the phone. No fear whatsoever.

Why do so many people come to Thailand? Most come for a holiday, some of us might even stay a few years longer....biggrin.png .

Deadly motorcycle accidents happen all around the world. With, or without a helmet. If people believe that happens only in Phuket, please visit the Memorial hospital in Pattaya and look inside the emergency room

I've seen serious crashes there by inexperienced drivers.Most of those big bikes do not even have the 12,000 baht insurance coverage.A Brit a few years ago had no serious injures,but damaged many motorbikes and hit a brand new Pick Up truck, before he landed on the road with his ladyboy.

I'd told him that the cop wouldn't let him go, unless he could show a few hundred thousand baht in cash. That was when his ladyboy started to cry and took off....w00t.gif

I've learned my lessons here, I wore an Integral helmet, but once my rear brake locked up on a dirt road, just doing 25 km/h and 270 kg destroyed my right leg with my "crash bar" in a way that I had to leave this country after eight months not recovering to get some decent surgeries, better said an artificial knee joint.

At least, I've learned through my accident why those are called crash bars. They can really crash your bones!

The shitty first operation at a hospital in lower north-east was about 80,000 baht. My motorcycle insurance only covered 12,000, but my social security paid the rest. Driving a big bike will always be more risky than sitting at home and drinking beer.

It's not about the Tuk Tuk mafia, it's all about common sense. Go to Mae Hong Son/ Pai and watch all the injured guys, those who can't be seen might be not so happy.You can see that many of them never drove a motorcycle, doesn't matter how big it is.

A 100cc is fast enough to reach Nirvana.

I started with a so called "Moped" just doing 25km/h. Then a 50cc doing 85 and two years alter came the big ones. Those who never drove a faster bike shouldn't try it.

I'd rather like to spend more money for a Tuk Tuk when drunk, instead of losing my life. Ride to Live- Live to Ride-------wai.gif

post-108180-0-94962100-1346856972_thumb.

Edited by sirchai

I do agree with you that many things could be done to improve security in Thailand. I do know that I take a risk everytime I ride my motorbike in Phuket. I see many farangs and Thai driving like crazy, not caring for themselves or others.

I am just not sure that these french people would have traded a nice fast bike for a Tuk Tuk ride. The young men love the freedom of riding motorbikes.

But societies make cost/benefit choices in many domains. I did see some studies that calculated how many people would die depending on given actions from our government here. And the decision was based on costs, whether funds were available to save more lives.

Speed limits in countries are set for convenience and cost savings purposes, not to save all lives.

Most probably Thailand thinks it is more cost effective to have the transportation system they have now, with the resulting death toll. Not unlike the way it is in our own country. Just a tad more crazy in Thailand. But it is the way it is. And many farangs come here just because of that. Or is the government afraid of the transportation mafia in Phuket???

The first thing that needs to be done is to create FEAR in the mind of people. Currently, people drive in front of the police station, without a helmet, and talking on the phone. No fear whatsoever.

My point is, they went for the bike BECAUSE of the tuk-tuk rip off here. On this occasion, these guys went for a big motorbike, but it's usually a 200 baht a day motor scooter that most tourists chose.

If they had the OPTION of getting down to Kata, and home again, by way of an affordable baht bus system, maybe many would take that option, rather than ride, especially when intoxicated, thus, a possible life saving decision, because they option was there to chose.

That option does not exist here, so many rent a bike and, just about on a daily basis, we see the death and injury caused as a result of the public transport option not being available.

Sure, some tourist will still rent a bike, but many may just ride during the day, when sober, to explore the island.

The whole tuk-tuk thing, and the pain and suffering it is causing to families all around the world, is not what a modern tourist destination should be portraying to the world.

My point is, they went for the bike BECAUSE of the tuk-tuk rip off here. On this occasion, these guys went for a big motorbike, but it's usually a 200 baht a day motor scooter that most tourists chose.

If they had the OPTION of getting down to Kata, and home again, by way of an affordable baht bus system, maybe many would take that option, rather than ride, especially when intoxicated, thus, a possible life saving decision, because they option was there to chose.

That option does not exist here, so many rent a bike and, just about on a daily basis, we see the death and injury caused as a result of the public transport option not being available.

Sure, some tourist will still rent a bike, but many may just ride during the day, when sober, to explore the island.

The whole tuk-tuk thing, and the pain and suffering it is causing to families all around the world, is not what a modern tourist destination should be portraying to the world.

What are the 'sober" tourists do when getting drunk somewhere in the evening? Do they leave their bikes there and walk home?

You can't blame the Tuk Tuk "thing" for so much pain and suffering. I think they were old enough to realize what they did. And it ended badly.

Can't you just get drunk at your hotel, somewhere close and NOT drive anymore? wai.gif

• Like 1

"Mr Hera’s blood contained more than 200 parts per million of alcohol."

Why didn't we read anything about the blood of Red Bull / Black Horse Worrayuth Yoovidhya?!

Because there was none , the gate log of the security Guard show he left his home 13 minutes before the accident...unless that was falsified too?

After reading the quote below this morning, had to smile again at your comment:

"Mr Vorayuth's lawyer said his client had not been drinking before the accident, but instead imbibed alcohol after he hit the policeman with his car.

Senator Samak Chaowapanant, who is the lawyer of the Yoovidhya family, said Mr Vorayuth did not drink any alcohol in his residence on Sukhumvit Soi 53 in the early morning on Monday before he was involved in the crash on Sukhumvit Soi 47.

"Boss was very sad," the senator said, referring to Mr Vorayuth by his nickname. "I understand that after the crash and his surrender, Boss drank that night to relieve his tenseness ... but he did not drink before the incident happened."

Senator Samak said Mr Vorayuth drove home without stopping to check the body of Pol Snr Sgt Maj Wichian because he was shocked and afraid."

Why didn't we read anything about the blood of Red Bull / Black Horse Worrayuth Yoovidhya?!

Because there was none , the gate log of the security Guard show he left his home 13 minutes before the accident...unless that was falsified too?

"Mr Vorayuth's lawyer said his client had not been drinking before the accident, but instead imbibed alcohol after he hit the policeman with his car.

Senator Samak Chaowapanant, who is the lawyer of the Yoovidhya family, said Mr Vorayuth did not drink any alcohol in his residence on Sukhumvit Soi 53 in the early morning on Monday before he was involved in the crash on Sukhumvit Soi 47.

"Boss was very sad," the senator said, referring to Mr Vorayuth by his nickname. "I understand that after the crash and his surrender, Boss drank that night to relieve his tenseness ... but he did not drink before the incident happened."

Senator Samak said Mr Vorayuth drove home without stopping to check the body of Pol Snr Sgt Maj Wichian because he was shocked and afraid."

"Mr Vorayuth's lawyer said his client had not been drinking before the accident, but instead imbibed alcohol after he hit the policeman with his car."

That's EXACTLY what my lawyer in Thailand advised me in case of an accident: flee the scene, because when you are arrested you can claim that, because of the shock you were in, you drank alcohol after the accident. Brilliant, yet completely incredible.

coffee1.gif

"Mr Vorayuth's lawyer said his client had not been drinking before the accident, but instead imbibed alcohol after he hit the policeman with his car."

That's EXACTLY what my lawyer in Thailand advised me in case of an accident: flee the scene, because when you are arrested you can claim that, because of the shock you were in, you drank alcohol after the accident. Brilliant, yet completely incredible.

coffee1.gif

Or you can also drive sober, then stop if you have an accident and call for an ambulance. What do you think of my idea ?

"One French tourist is dead and another remains in coma after the motorbike they were riding crashed on the beach road in Karon before dawn yesterday."

Motorbikes don't crash motorbikes, people crash motorbikes.

You don't understand English. The motorbikes crashed and the men (probably) caused the crash - unless there was a mechanical failure.

"People crash motorbikes" is grammatically wrong.

No, it's not grammatically wrong. Also, you appear not to have read the story. There was only one motorbike.

So why don't you start a baht bus service if it's such a good idea?

It would be a great commercial success, trouble is that the local tuktuk mafia would beat the drivers to a pulp. The beating of the first and only bus service between Patong and Karon a few years back is well documented in the Phuket Gazette.

No, 03.40 AM it would not be a great commercial succes. Never going to happen that time of night.

A Pattaya-Phuket comparison is simply impossible because of the different geographic conditions on both places.

It would be a great commercial success, trouble is that the local tuktuk mafia would beat the drivers to a pulp. The beating of the first and only bus service between Patong and Karon a few years back is well documented in the Phuket Gazette.

No, 03.40 AM it would not be a great commercial succes. Never going to happen that time of night.

A Pattaya-Phuket comparison is simply impossible because of the different geographic conditions on both places.

I'm with Steven on this.

Phuket Baht Bus will never happen. I'm guessing that the average ride on a Pattaya Baht Bus is a few km, or maybe over the hill to Jomtien. Phuket is much more spread out so the concept doesn't work. And to have buses waiting like in Pattaya or 5 minutes apart would not be practical or economically feasible, especially at 3.40am.

Then add to that the tuk tuk mafia that control Phuket's transport system that the local Government has been able to control. Won't work.

Tourists are going to die on the roads. That's just the way it is and will be in Phuket for the foreseeable future. I'm surprised incidents like this even make the news anymore.

Drunk, no helmets, unknown roads and 3.40am...and IQ test at the airport would be more effective.

BTW, who pays for the motorbike repair when the rider dies?

At 3:40am I wouldn't expect the whole baht bus system to be working, island wide. However, at 3:40am, the Pattaya baht bus system still works well from Walking Street to Jomtien Beach and is still profitable. At 3:40am they could still operate the coast route, which covers the majority of tourist accommodation and maybe to Phuket Town where many legitimate staff reside.

After, say, 1:00am, they could work on a system that they will not head up, or down the coast, until they are full, so, some may have to sit in the back for 5 minutes until other passengers jump in, just the same as Pattaya.

There's no reason why the tuk-tuks couldn't be running like this now, by allowing "multiple hiring" but they would rather 10 indivuals catching 10 seperate tuk-tuks, thus making 10 times the money, rather than organising the individuals, who are all going to the same general destination, thus sharing the total price. So, many of these individuals jump on a motorbike, usually intoxicated, and we have the death and injury that this island is sadly getting infamous for.

I really can't see how it could not be a win-win for the drivers (more money) and the tourist (using public transport rather than riding a motorbike - usually under the influence)

Implementation of a baht bus system here, even using the the existing tuk-tuk vehicles, would be a great benefit to to the tourism industry on Phuket.

As mentioned, it would be an "experiment." The system is a great success in Pattaya. A similar system, maybe adjusted to meet the specific needs of Phuket, could easily be implemented here, practically overnight.

I'm with Steven on this.

Phuket Baht Bus will never happen. I'm guessing that the average ride on a Pattaya Baht Bus is a few km, or maybe over the hill to Jomtien. Phuket is much more spread out so the concept doesn't work. And to have buses waiting like in Pattaya or 5 minutes apart would not be practical or economically feasible, especially at 3.40am.

Then add to that the tuk tuk mafia that control Phuket's transport system that the local Government has been able to control. Won't work.

Tourists are going to die on the roads. That's just the way it is and will be in Phuket for the foreseeable future. I'm surprised incidents like this even make the news anymore.

Drunk, no helmets, unknown roads and 3.40am...and IQ test at the airport would be more effective.

BTW, who pays for the motorbike repair when the rider dies?

We all know it will never happen, and why it will never happen - and it has nothing to do with whether it would be a success, or not.

It's the corruption and greed that is causing a lot of the motor vehicle death and injury here.

Not all tourist are riding at 3:40am and drunk. Many are hiring a motorbike to explore the island, during the day, and sober. Many of these are dying or getting injured and all they want to do is check out the other beaches.

See my previous post. I can't see why tuk-tuks can not be operating as baht buses, right now, allowing "multiple hiring" at reasonable prices. It's not rocket science. More business/money for them - more safety and affordability for tourist.

In any case, if distances are greater on Phuket, why not have metered taxis operating???? Longer distances equals more money on the meter. Why can't some of the metered taxis working out of the airport, work off a taxi rank at the end of Bangla Road, in the early hours of the morning, when not so many planes are landing?

Same with all the airport minivans and visa run minivans. The vehicle and drivers are all existing, they just need to be "allowed" to expand their business without fear of violence.

The lack of proper public transport here, organised by certain "influential people" is a sick joke on the tourism industry on Phuket and is not keeping with the stardards of a modern day tourist destination.

Edited by NamKangMan

Bit academic to discuss as we all know it's never going to happen, but my idea would be to run the 'baht bus' ie a covered pickup with bench seats when it's near full. Would have to be more than 10 baht/pax, more like 100 baht/pax if after mid night for a Patong/Kata run..

For some young tourists hiring a massive bike, wearing shorts when they are driving, no helmet, driving like a madman despite the conditions is all part of the FUN of Thailand they cant do it at home you will never stop it and people will die

• Like 1

For some young tourists hiring a massive bike, wearing shorts when they are driving, no helmet, driving like a madman despite the conditions is all part of the FUN of Thailand they cant do it at home you will never stop it and people will die

Exactly.

Plus they think that an accident can't happen to them.

Bit academic to discuss as we all know it's never going to happen, but my idea would be to run the 'baht bus' ie a covered pickup with bench seats when it's near full. Would have to be more than 10 baht/pax, more like 100 baht/pax if after mid night for a Patong/Kata run..

I agree LIK. 10 random people roll up and want to go to Kata. 100 baht each = 1000 baht for the driver. He gets a lot more fares and the tourists can leave their motorbike at home, or not even have to rent one.

Currently, the tuk-tuk drivers want each of the 10 tourists to catch their own tuk-tuk at 400 to 800 baht for the trip.

It's just not working, with many tourist renting a motorbike for 200 baht a day causing death and injury and many return tourists now staying walking distance to the nightlife.

You would think that the TAT would be highly embarrassed on the world tourism stage about the public transport situation here.

Edited by NamKangMan

I think you would find the majority of young tourist hire a motor scooter and wear the helmet that is supplied with the scooter, which is pretty much a useless helmet.

In my opinion, the motivation to hire the scooter in the first place comes from the high cost of the tuk-tuks. A 200 baht a day motor scooter rental versus 200 baht just to hop into a tuk-tuk.

I think most would just like metered taxis and would be more than happy to use them and pay the meter price.

Many would rather not be on a scooter, if the option existed here.

Some things in Thailand you just have to accept. This is one of them.

Tuk Tuk drivers are poorly educated and greedy. They will never understand the logic or allow 1 Driver to make 1000baht, when 10 Drivers could make 500 baht = 5000baht. The metered taxis and black taxis that have been beaten and killed and the bus drivers that attempted a Patong - Karon route are all testimony to the fact that the Tuk Tuk tribe will never let it happen.

The failure of your logic is that the Tuk Tuk Drivers could care less if another Farang dies tonight on a motorcycle and the Police and Government, for whatever reason, are powerless or unmotivated to do anything about it.

I applaud your wishful thinking, but thats all it is.

I think you would find the majority of young tourist hire a motor scooter and wear the helmet that is supplied with the scooter, which is pretty much a useless helmet.

In my opinion, the motivation to hire the scooter in the first place comes from the high cost of the tuk-tuks. A 200 baht a day motor scooter rental versus 200 baht just to hop into a tuk-tuk.

I think most would just like metered taxis and would be more than happy to use them and pay the meter price.

Many would rather not be on a scooter, if the option existed here.

I agree with you thats why i said some tourists hire a big bike to be Macho Man scooters are a good way of getting around and at the same time bypassing the tuk tuk mafia i am sure if public transport was good there would be less scooters hired and maybe thats another reason to retain the Status Quo self interest rules methinks

Having never ridden a motorbike before I was contemplating renting 1 when I arrive in Phuket later this year. Since I booked my flight I have probably read of at least 10 people killed on bikes. I think I'd rather get extorted for tuk tuk fares than risk my life.

• Like 2

Having never ridden a motorbike before I was contemplating renting 1 when I arrive in Phuket later this year. Since I booked my flight I have probably read of at least 10 people killed on bikes. I think I'd rather get extorted for tuk tuk fares than risk my life.
If only more thought like that!! But it seems riding a bike for the first time, on unfamiliar roads, with unfamiliar road rules, whilst wearing board shorts and thongs, minus the crash helmet, is a good idea...especially if it's dark...and you are drunk...

Some things in Thailand you just have to accept. This is one of them.

Tuk Tuk drivers are poorly educated and greedy. They will never understand the logic or allow 1 Driver to make 1000baht, when 10 Drivers could make 500 baht = 5000baht. The metered taxis and black taxis that have been beaten and killed and the bus drivers that attempted a Patong - Karon route are all testimony to the fact that the Tuk Tuk tribe will never let it happen.

The failure of your logic is that the Tuk Tuk Drivers could care less if another Farang dies tonight on a motorcycle and the Police and Government, for whatever reason, are powerless or unmotivated to do anything about it.

I applaud your wishful thinking, but thats all it is.

I agree, but don't you mean, "Some things in "Phuket" you just have to accept?"

Bangkok has metered taxis everywhere and Pattaya has a baht bus system. Chiang Mai has metered taxis and the tradional three wheeled tuk-tuks everywhere.

It's only Phuket, which is possibly a different country to Thailand, smile.png that has a transport debarcle that is killing and injuring people, almost on a daily basis.

Edited by NamKangMan

I am perplexed as to why more isn't being done to try and install a safe affordable transport system for Phuket. Why can't embassies and other diplomats put pressure on local big wigs to do something? 'TIT' is not good enough.

Because the ones that could make that decision would lose their kickbacks.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1