Finest Restaurants In Pattaya And Jomtien

thaimat

If posting comments such as:

...only cheap charlies, people with no real haute cuisine experience, or idiots, considers them fine dining...Show a bit of class!.... you have no right to comment on that.....

isn't making arrogant, disparaging remarks, then I'd like to know what is.

You started a thread and everyone is entitled to have their own interpretation of what constitutes 'fine dining' without being arrogantly dismissed as a 'cheap charlie' or an 'idiot' by the likes of you.

To some, eating a freshly cooked bowl of noodles from a unique recipe, prepared in a spotlessly clean noodle urn, sitting in the open air and enjoying the ambience of the nightly Pattaya scene, may be their idea of 'fine dining'.

Who are you, pray, to say otherwise, and whatever happened to the principal of free speech and the rule on making infamatory remarks.

err... no. "fine dining" is an established concept, it involves tablecloth, cloth napkins, waiter service and can in general be labeled "refined" (hence *fine* dining).

Next thing you will say that to some, a Volkswagen Golf is a luxury car - which might be true for some people living in remote areas of Siberia or Africa, but that's not the general case.

While OP should have been less insulting in his statement, I think it is necessary to put reality back into place: no, the noodle pot can in no way be considered "fine dining" by common standards.

• Like 1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Au Bon Coin on Pratumnak, One of my favorites.

http://www.auboncoinpattaya.com/

I agree, a very good restaurant. Why not share with people why you like it?

French cuisine, good food, lovely garden setting decorated like French chateau although not the least bit pretentious. (In fact the owner is somewhat of a slob.) Excellent service, reasonable prices for the quality of the food. There is no check. When you leave you tell the owner what you ate and he gives you the total. Reservations highly recommended.

Edited by ThaiBob

Cuccina Toscana - where exactly is it? Quality difference during low/high season?

Dipped my toes into the fine dining things winter, Manhatten, Mata Hara, Cafe des Amis, Brunos. Did not like the ambience in Brunos, was claustrophobic. My personal favourite was Manhatten because the service level and bread basket was the best, but we enjoyed both Cafe des Amis and Mata Hara too.

An example on why fine dining and good food might not always be the same can be found a bit down the road closer to the new second road. Lindas have transformed from a norwegian style restaurant to a more refined place with higher ambience/service level. Food is good, but the really good norwegian food can be found in the hidden soi behind Lindas. Where its definitly not upscale or fine dining, its open air, budget seating, but food like your mom used to cook it.

While OP should have been less insulting in his statement....

Well, that's it, in a nut shell isn't it.

Personally, I couldn't give a fig about what does or doesn't constitute 'fine dining', notwithstanding what Wikipedia might have to say on the subject, but a sheer lack of respect , and talking down to fellow Thai Visa contributors is not something that I can let go by without taking the perpetrator to task.

After all, this is Sin City, the largest whorehouse in the world, and a place where 'common standards' don't always apply, as the OP has so amply demonstrated by his patronising insults to fellow residents.

And BTW, I suggest you try to discern when someone is using a little irony to make a point before you start rushing to quote Wikipedia on the subject. We all know how to press our Google buttons...

I enjoy Mata Hari for a treat. Hilton Buffet is top value.

I want to plug Valentinos again - seriously nobody out there tried this place?? Near Foodland. He's been there years and it's pretty good IMO.

Hi Yes, I went there very recently.I thought it was the best Italian food in Pattaya of the places I`ve tried.A mistake made on the order, genuine mis understanding I think and no harm done.Food and setting excellent.

No Panpan is nowhere near the best Italian in town, keep your money and go to what the OP suggested or somewhere like La Bocca.

Today I went to Pasta Pasta, a new place in the ambassador in NaJomtien. When I found it and looked from the outside I thought wow this place looks amazing, nice greeting at the door, lovely tables outside, didnt go inside but the inside looked great too.

Now I know you cant 100% judge food when your getting a take away but the pasta really wasnt up to much it was almost Pizza Co quality. Pizza base was lovely, the tomato sauce on it was sweet and really quite bland. Cheese was ok and the salami was ok but I dont think I will be going back there, shame really as it really is a nice looking place. The parmesean that was supplied was also a lot like the cheap stuff in a plastic tub you pick up at in the supermarkets not freshly grated cheese.

Heard nothing but good things about Mantra, I love cafe des amis.

People earlier on this thread were taking the pi*s out of this thread though so you can expect the OP to get a bit miffed if hes asking questions about fine dining and people are posting about a salad bar in a chain like Sizzler and food stalls.

Its like someone asking for help for a Honda car and people offer help on a Toyota.

• Like 1

Its like someone asking for help for a Honda car and people offer help on a Toyota.

more like someone asking about Maserati or Lamborghini and getting offers for help on a Toyota.

Edited by manarak
  • Like 1

OK Italian food fans, tell me this; Where can I get pasta served with a very rich "dry / off the pan" beef Ragu ?

Not sure but Volterra does a wide pasta with wild boar or hare ragout.

http://www.volterrathailand.com/

Fans of traditional Italian cuisine should check out the very small restaurant at view talay 1, situated at the corner that is most close to the jomtien tower (right hand side when you come in).

I forgot the name of the restaurant, but the guy there cooks better than Mama.

To some, eating a freshly cooked bowl of noodles from a unique recipe, prepared in a spotlessly clean noodle urn, sitting in the open air and enjoying the ambience of the nightly Pattaya scene, may be their idea of 'fine dining'.

Who are you, pray, to say otherwise, and whatever happened to the principal of free speech and the rule on making infamatory remarks.

Ohh that reminds me.. Pao was wonderful food. Fresh ingredients and unique to Pattaya. Duff would make all his own noodles by hand and what a difference that makes. Where else in Pattaya can you get fresh hand made noodles? But not sure it will meet your criteria as the ambiance was not 5 star and the service consisted of the owner and his wife who both stayed pretty busy making fresh food.

They will be truly missed and I hope they make a return to Pattaya...

Edited by Jayman

OK Italian food fans, tell me this; Where can I get pasta served with a very rich "dry / off the pan" beef Ragu ?

Fans of traditional Italian cuisine should check out the very small restaurant at view talay 1, situated at the corner that is most close to the jomtien tower (right hand side when you come in).

Not familiar with it. You don't mean the Italian place just to the left of Foodmart, do you? Rather you mean you must enter into the VT1 grounds, correct?

I want to plug Valentinos again - seriously nobody out there tried this place?? Near Foodland. He's been there years and it's pretty good IMO.

Thank you for the recommendation. I have seen that place for years on my visits to foodland but never stopped in for a try. I will make sure and do so now that it sounds like I'll have a good meal there.

Centara sends me emails about their special events here, usually 2-3tbaht full menu dinners/head. Not been there yet, but they do have interesting promotions. I'm sure there's a way for anyone to get registered for those promotions.

And then there's a French restaurant in Naklua, called wandee (good day), which serves good food in clean environment with reasonable prices. Expect it to be packed with the smart casual Thais. I liked the Escargot there and proceeded to have an extended dinner which was all very tasty. Tab for 2 adults & 2kids came to about 3tbaht. I think I'll make a visit again soon, their menu is a huge brick. Be warned the parking there sucks.

Next one I'm going to try will be the BBQ room at Royal Cliff, I have a friend who works there and said the place is good.

Actually I've been putting off these hi-so places on purpose, but now they're the ones left so I reckon it's time to change the sarong to long pants and go check them.

There is one restaurant named Monento, a French restaurant within the grounds of Cocco resort, Either coming off taprayya Soi 13 or coming from Soi 17 bonkai

Food is excellent. Not pricey, and very good ambience.

Lebanese restaurant in central festival. Can sit on the balcony with sea view. Beach side 3rd of 4th floor.

If you fancy a lite snack ETE in central festival I highly recommend. Not site which floor but beach side next to swensens.

And more....

Hilton is my number one, sitting in there you could be anywhere in the world. The food is excellent wether a la carte or the night buffet. The place is outstanding.

Although the op topic is good, the way he portrayed it was wrong.

Ive eaten in 90% of restaurants in pattaya, food shops, however one may class them.

And one place in particular located on Soi buakhow, across from lk metro, is the Thai food shop, no name, the food is quality, and if you speak a bit of Thai, they will cook to your tastes.

One place how could I forget, definitely one to take the wife or girlfriend. Cabbages and condoms, just the walk alone to the restaurant is memorable. The food is top quality.

Their menu is a bit limited, though. Ask for the birds nest when making reservation, it's treetop with a view. Best time to go is around 5pm. Prices are very reasonable and I'd give it 8/10. A 2-3 time a year kind of place.

Au Bon Coin on Pratumnak, One of my favorites.

http://www.auboncoinpattaya.com/

Could they not find a more out of the way location? people will have a job to find it there, Actually, its at the bottom of my road and I never knew it was there!!!

Yes, difficult to find as we drove there. The new Family Mart is now our landmark for turning.

BTW, this thread is getting side tracked. The Momento does not meet the OP's criteria. Outside, poolside seating with many smokers, good food and large (huge) portions.

I am not sure what "off the pan" means exactly, but Cuccina Toscana's beef Ragu has been a favorite of mine since they opened. It's rich, thick, dry isn't exactly the right word, but it's not runny with sauce, so dry is close to accurate. One plate of it is heavy, cost is around B180-200, cannot remember exactly.

Not familiar with it. You don't mean the Italian place just to the left of Foodmart, do you? Rather you mean you must enter into the VT1 grounds, correct?

That place is called Trattolia or something, been a few times, bit hot and cold also. PIzzas 2 times were great another time it was disgusting. I ordered 2 pastas, one creamy one tomato base, 4 cheese I think it was, tasted lovely, but just pasta and sauce is not for me, I like a little bit of meat in there or mushrooms etc just something so every bite is not the same. The tomato base was a bit bland. For what you pay its very good value for money though.

That place is called Trattolia or something, been a few times, bit hot and cold also. PIzzas 2 times were great another time it was disgusting. I ordered 2 pastas, one creamy one tomato base, 4 cheese I think it was, tasted lovely, but just pasta and sauce is not for me, I like a little bit of meat in there or mushrooms etc just something so every bite is not the same. The tomato base was a bit bland. For what you pay its very good value for money though.

Jing got it right, you have to enter the VT grounds.

If I had meant the place next to Foddmart I would have said so.

• Like 1

I like the Mantra.

You cant really go wrong there just about everything is good.

Easy to spend 6-7 K for two so not cheap.

Wife and I have been known to go to the bar in the waiting lounge of Mantra as they have the best Mojitos in town. Can sit in nice, quiet atmosphere and sip on a few drinks. Actually discovered this as we went there to eat when they first opened and they were so packed to get a table we ended up getting a few drinks and leaving. Never went back for the food but we did go back for the drinks. Guess we should give the restaurant another go.

Isn't PanPan the best italian in town ? When I check their menu prices I want to cry so never had the chance to try it out sad.png

I think they shut down in Pattaya on Beach Rd. Too bad. Delicious food.

They were at Central mall last time I looked.

Aren't they also on the road to Jomtien from Pattaya? Just before the Thepasit intersection (coming from pattaya)

Isn't PanPan the best italian in town ? When I check their menu prices I want to cry so never had the chance to try it out sad.png

I think they shut down in Pattaya on Beach Rd. Too bad. Delicious food.

They were at Central mall last time I looked.

Aren't they also on the road to Jomtien from Pattaya? Just before the Thepasit intersection (coming from pattaya)

yes they have a restaurant inside central and another one at the Theprasit intersection, I heard it's really good but way to expensive for me