Getting The 5 Year Driving Licence Somewhere Alse After You Move

daiwill60

Hi Guys n Gals

I recently moved from Isaan to Bangkok, and noticed my initial 1 year driving licences ( car and Motor bike) are due to run out towards the end of next month .

I did my initial test ( LOL) up in Isaan, and am wondering if I can do the next stage , for the 5 year licence elsewhere , other than where i did the 1 year application.

Or is it typical Thai logic, that will make me go all the way up north again to do it or a situation of, if i do it here in BKK i wll have to go back to the start line again and only be able to get a 1 year licence. A bit like Snakes and Ladders over here sometimes it is.

If I can do it here, can anyone tell me where do i do this in the Nakhon Pathom province?

Thanks Folks

is the credit card type you have ?...as believe these are all centrally registered these days, do you may be ok, getting your new licence at another DMV.

Did mine about 4 months ago, motorbike licence upgraded to 5 years. Original was done in Pattaya, new one in Kamphaeng Phet. You just need the same paperwork as for the first one. You will need a 100 baht doctors letter, proof of residence, your 1 year licence. Might need a passport photo and copies of everything, but no hassle at all.

You need to do your driver license renewal in the district where you currently live, hence the need for a certifcate of residence from the local immigration.

There is just one thing you have to keep in mind as you are entitled for a 5 year license this time, but I'm confused about the rule so someone with knowledge can jump in.

It is either that you have to wait untill the 1 year license has been expired by at least one day, or just the oppossite and have to renew it before the expiry date.

I think it is the first option, but probably someone will corrrect me

Same situation - just got mine done. Had to have the old licence plus a proof of residence letter from Immigration - nothing more. Did it just before the old licence expired - and they have their own camera setup at the office, so no passport (or other) photo required.

BUT - some offices want different things (i.e. health certificate, maybe), so take along a Thai person and ASK at the office - well before your licence expires.

Cheers.

Had so much trouble in Pattaya in renewing my expired Thai DL that I went to the main Land Transport Office near Chatachuk and they issued me my first 5 year one with no questions as to why I came all the way to Bangkok for it

At no time was my residence address a question, since I had the Residency Permit issued the US Embassy in Bangkok

I have heard of the local office requirement for Immigration but have never heard of this requirement for your DL???

Many people here in Pattaya have reported going to the Rayong office for DL renewal since the lines are shorter and the office is better organized

I had to wait until expiry of my 1 year license before changing to the 5 year one, I was told can renew up to 30 days after expiry,, after 30 and up to 60 days after expiry of the 1 year license can still renew but have to pay a small fee, that was according to my local office,,, however a mate of mine was over the 30 days in Pattaya and he had to do part of the test again,,, par for the course here, inconsistency

='jbrain'

There is just one thing you have to keep in mind as you are entitled for a 5 year license this time, but I'm confused about the rule so someone with knowledge can jump in.

It is either that you have to wait untill the 1 year license has been expired by at least one day, or just the oppossite and have to renew it before the expiry date.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I had to wait until expiry of my 1 year license before changing to the 5 year one, I was told can renew up to 30 days after expiry,, after 30 and up to 60 days after expiry of the 1 year license can still renew but have to pay a small fee, that was according to my local office,,, however a mate of mine was over the 30 days in Pattaya and he had to do part of the test again,,, par for the course here, inconsistency

='jbrain'

Thanks for confirming the rules on the first renewal of the driving license.I hope the OP read this in time so he doesn't have to wait another year before he will be able to get a 5 year valid license.

Thanks Guys

The licence runs out 27 October so time in the bag on that one.

I do as it happens have to go to Isaan for a few days mid term break beginning of October so will llok into it while i am there. Luckily a friend of the wife's sis works there, so fingers crossed , i can get it sorted then.

• 3 weeks later...

='jbrain'

You can apply for the 5 year license up to 2 months before your 1 year license expires.