Windows 8 Apps Just Getting Better

Notstupid30

I don't follow you

seems so..wink.png

I do not touch Metro on the laptop, I don't need it. Which is why I call it "optional"

Have you ever pressed the "Windows" button? If yes, what do you see?

You call it optional, ok. If something is really optional, you should be able to deactivate it. You can?

You can "bring it to the background" simply by clicking the "Desktop" tile

What now? A few words before, you "don't touch Metro on the laptop".

Now you tell me, you click "tiles" in Metro.

why is that dubious?

Dubious are third party programs, which claim to "deactivate" Metro, or bring W7 features, like the start-button, back.

These are simply some hacks on "system-level" and you will never know, what problems they cause in addition.

I mean, everybody can use the OS, he likes. I am not a "fanboy".

BUT: Can anyone tell me, which real improvements W8 has over W7?

And no, ribbons in the new windows-explorer are no real argument...tongue.png

Edited by Turkleton

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yes. the start button is there. click it. it will bring you to the start screen. that's the way forward. if you want Windows 7, then keep it! it's a perfectly good OS.

People who say "there's no start button in windows 8" drive me nuts. I guess they've never used windows 8. It's right here:

<snip>

and here

<snip>

and the start menu is here

you can group the tiles the way you want to. a group for office, and group for adobe, etc. it's a tile representation of the old folder start menu from Windows 95. At some point they have to move on. You can try another OS, or keep windows 7.

in thailand a lot of laptops come empty. it's your choice what to put in there. some are still rocking XP SP3 and are happy.

I don't want to start Metro. I want a Start button that gives me direct access to things like Computer, Control Panel, Documents, all of my applications and a command line.

That's what they've removed.

Put it back with ViStart and you have both. I don't know why they removed it.

If you look for things to be wrong (or different than you are used to), you can certainly find them.

In the Metro screen if you right click at the bottom of the screen, then click "All Apps" it will list just about everything. That is just as many clicks as it takes it Windows 7.

I am pretty sure it won't make some people happy because instead of the Windows 7 scrolling up and down, Windows 8 scrolls sideways.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

In the Metro screen if you right click at the bottom of the screen, then click "All Apps" it will list just about everything. That is just as many clicks as it takes it Windows 7.

I am pretty sure it won't make some people happy because instead of the Windows 7 scrolling up and down, Windows 8 scrolls sideways

Depends on the workflow.

I personally use the startmenu in 95% of all cases, for searching documents or starting programs, by typing two or three letters.

No need to do this, in an "hiding all other things" full screen mode.

I am pretty sure it won't make some people happy because instead of the Windows 7 scrolling up and down, Windows 8 scrolls sideways

Depends on the workflow.

I personally use the startmenu in 95% of all cases, for searching documents or starting programs, by typing two or three letters.

No need to do this, in an "hiding all other things" full screen mode.

As I said, it won't please some people.

In the Metro screen you can type 2 or 3 letters and find almost anything on the computer. You just have to choose between Apps, Files, Settings, etc. I would guess it won't be what you are looking for.

You can also (whether in Metro or Desktop) scroll through any open Windows.

There are not many people that know everything any version of Windows is capable of.

MsPain

Edited by hml367

In the Metro screen you can type 2 or 3 letters and find almost anything on the computer. You just have to choose between Apps, Files, Settings, etc. I would guess it won't be what you are looking for

This describes exactly, what I can do with the W7 startmenu, without the ridiculous full screen-mode and the useless tiles.

Search results are "pre-sorted" as files, documents, etc.

In the Metro screen you can type 2 or 3 letters and find almost anything on the computer. You just have to choose between Apps, Files, Settings, etc. I would guess it won't be what you are looking for

This describes exactly, what I can do with the W7 startmenu, without the ridiculous full screen-mode and the useless tiles.

Search results are "pre-sorted" as files, documents, etc.

You should stick with Windows 7 then no need to complain about Windows 8.

MSPain

The funny thing in threads like this, everybody tries to explain, how you can circumvent this or that in W8 and how to get the already existing W7 functionality back. whistling.gif

But nobody is still able to tell me what "killer-features" could force me, to switch to from W7 to W8.

Edited by Turkleton
  • Like 1

yes. the start button is there. click it. it will bring you to the start screen. that's the way forward. if you want Windows 7, then keep it! it's a perfectly good OS.

People who say "there's no start button in windows 8" drive me nuts. I guess they've never used windows 8. It's right here:

<snip>

and here

<snip>

you can group the tiles the way you want to. a group for office, and group for adobe, etc. it's a tile representation of the old folder start menu from Windows 95. At some point they have to move on. You can try another OS, or keep windows 7.

in thailand a lot of laptops come empty. it's your choice what to put in there. some are still rocking XP SP3 and are happy.

I don't want to start Metro. I want a Start button that gives me direct access to things like Computer, Control Panel, Documents, all of my applications and a command line.

Chicog,

send me a PM if you like. I can tell you how (or where to get the information) that I think will do what you want. It is not with 3rd party fixes... all right there in the Desktop.

MSPain

<snip>

and here

<snip>

You have direct access to everything. Just move your mouse to the right. Under START there's a SETTINGS wheel.

3496d1330578815-pc-settings-screen-open-windows-8-charm-1.jpg

charms-settings.jpg

charm-windows.jpg

Windows-8-Settings-Charm.png

Everything is right there. It's just because it looks different people automatically reject it. Just try it.

You can also put all those shortcuts right on the metro start screen as tiles if you don't want to move your mouse to the right. You can have anything you want as tiles and group it however you want to. As soon as the computer start you'll have it all there.

a.gif

6350406-620x349.png?hash=Z2EvZTVkAm&upscale=1

The funny thing in threads like this, everybody tries to explain, how you can circumvent this or that in W8 and how to get the already existing W7 functionality back. whistling.gif

But nobody is still able to tell me what "killer-features" could force me, to switch to from W7 to W8.

On a desktop or laptop. to quote the old phrase, "if it ain't f***ed, don't fix it".

I'll learn it on a tablet as and when I need to.

It is faster than Win 7 though, I'll give it that.

You have direct access to everything. Just move your mouse to the right. Under START there's a SETTINGS wheel

Do you really think this workflow:

1. click the "desktop" tile

2. find the three pixel in the upper right top corner, which bring the "charms bar" into the foreground.

(*May work* on a single screen, but on a multi monitor setup, the mouse doesn't stop in the corner)

3. click settings

4. click control panel (ps: where is the "run" and the "printer" button?)

is more intuitive than this:

press Windows button, than click control panel

you must be joking, my friend

A fresh install, for sure. Even in a VM, W8 is faster than my native W7

But wait until every program loads it's garbage into the registry and the different autostarts..tongue.png

PS: could you please avoid to post such oversized images, horizontal scrolling is just annoying.

Edited by Turkleton

You have direct access to everything. Just move your mouse to the right. Under START there's a SETTINGS wheel

2. find the three pixel in the upper right top corner, which bring the "charms bar" into the foreground.

(*May work* on a single screen, but on a multi monitor setup, the mouse doesn't stop in the corner)

3. click settings

I can get to Control Panel in two clicks from Desktop - no 3rd party stuff, just what is provided with Windows 8 CP.

I also have a Programs link on my Taskbar in Desktop.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

I can get to Control Panel in two clicks from Desktop

How?

And if you are in the Metro Screen and not on the desktop?

Or is it again, just a new "workaround" for lost functionality, compared to W7

But hey, "control panel" is only an example.

Mai pen rai...if you like a tablet GUI on your PC up to you. I prefer a real tablet for a tablet GUI..wai.gif

I am out for the moment.

Time for Formula 1

Edited by Turkleton

I can get to Control Panel in two clicks from Desktop

How?

And if you are in the Metro Screen and not on the desktop?

Or is it again, just a new "workaround" for lost functionality, compared to W7

But hey, "control panel" is only an example.

Mai pen rai...if you like a tablet GUI on you PC up to you. I prefer a real tablet for a tablet GUI..wai.gif

I am out for the moment.

Time for Formula 1

No workaround. As I said before, you should stick with Windows 7. I doubt anyone wants to "force" you to change.

I have what I said I have and I can customize it the way I want with everything that is in Windows 8 CP.

Yes, my Windows 8 CP starts at Metro. Well, it actually starts at the sign-in screen, then goes to Metro. It isn't much of a problem for me to get to the Desktop.

Also as I said before, there are not many people that know how to do everything any version of Windows is capable of. It was quite simple (not my ideas) to make things work when you mentioned in this thread about having a Start button. I can accomplish what the Windows 7 Start button does in my Taskbar of the Desktop of Windows 8.

As far as I can find, Microsoft, so far, is going to keep Metro and is not going to put the Start button in. Of course that could change.

MSPain

By the way.... I believe it can be accomplished on the Metro Screen. I wouldn't be surprised if someone that knows how Windows works could program one key or a key combination to act as the Windows key does in Windows 7.

Edited by hml367

3. click settings

A fresh install, for sure. Even in a VM, W8 is faster than my native W7

But wait until every program loads it's garbage into the registry and the different autostarts..tongue.png

PS: could you please avoid to post such oversized images, horizontal scrolling is just annoying.

No.

The charms bar is everywhere no matter where you are. That makes it much better than a start menu only accessible on the desktop.

Second, you don't have to fish for it. All you do is touch the right side of your screen top or bottom corners.

And third - why are you going through all those steps??? Just put a shortcut on the start screen and you're done! So actually, you can get to control panel in ONE STEP and skip clicking on START.

You really don't get Windows 8. You're thinking in Windows 7 terms.

They have to put your control panel and all things in a place where you can get to it no matter where you are, because the Metro experience is a full screen immersive experience, so it would be a hassle to have to go back to the start screen, go to the desktop, click on Start and Control Panel.

If I'm on IE10 browsing the Internet, I want to move my mouse to the right and have my Settings right there without having to leave the browser.

Here's a simpler solution for you. Just keep windows 7. Done.

Edited by thaicruze
  • Like 1

Windows 8 does offer other benefits, but the UI is not one of them.

So I've installed it on all my PC's but continue to use it in the normal Win 7 Desktop style.

The UI is for tablets plain and simple, it's been on Windows Phones since v7; I was an early adopter and I love it as a messaging, mail and surfing phone (only).

So I've installed it on all my PC's but continue to use it in the normal Win 7 Desktop style.

The UI is for tablets plain and simple, it's been on Windows Phones since v7; I was an early adopter and I love it as a messaging, mail and surfing phone (only).

So why do you use it? Specifically? It's "faster". Faster doing what exactly?

Sure. Widows 8 is faster on some things but only marginally faster. I mean really. How much faster is Windows 8. REALLY?

Edited by thaicruze

You guys are making no sense. Especially the guy who says he NEEDS the start menu.

That's ridiculous. If anything, the START screen removes all interruptions. As soon as the computer starts you can have all your shortcuts to what you need there, and bypass clicking on START.

Look at this guy's start screen mr "I need a start button". Now. You tell me what this guy here needs a start button for

startmenu-2b.jpg

There Turkleton or whatever. You're telling me this guy needs a start button? For what?

Edited by thaicruze

Sure. Widows 8 is faster on some things but only marginally faster. I mean really. How much faster is Windows 8. REALLY?

It is significantly faster at switching between Windows; where I had a noticeable lag before, it's gone (I did an in-place upgrade of Win 7).

As far as the other things I wanted, USB 3.0 native support, the new multi-monitor layout and Hyper-V.

Next?

You guys are making no sense. Especially the guy who says he NEEDS the start menu.

That's ridiculous. If anything, the START screen removes all interruptions. As soon as the computer starts you can have all your shortcuts to what you need there, and bypass clicking on START.

Look at this guy's start screen mr "I need a start button". Now. You tell me what this guy here needs a start button for

<snip>

There Turkleton or whatever. You're telling me this guy needs a start button? For what?

If you honestly believe having to scan the entire screen or beyond is easier than navigating an alphabetically sorted menu, then you and I have a different perception of useability.

Metro's only use for me would be having tiles that tell me when I've got an email, for example; as a way of selecting and starting applications, it's pish.

Same with Android, I have multiple screens with my favourite icons on them, but invariable I find myself hitting the Apps button as a way of choosing an app. I suppose my brain thinks alphabetically after all these years.

• Like 1

It is significantly faster at switching between Windows; where I had a noticeable lag before, it's gone (I did an in-place upgrade of Win 7).

As far as the other things I wanted, USB 3.0 native support, the new multi-monitor layout and Hyper-V.

Next?

A lag switching between windows? Ahahahahaha :D

So you wanted some features of windows 8. Fine. But I still don't get you people and the love for the start menu.

I NEVER use the start menu. I just pin stuff to the taskbar.

Is it really that hard to pin things to the start screen?

Seriously.

Edited by thaicruze

Next?

A lag switching between windows? Ahahahahaha biggrin.png

So you wanted some features of windows 8. Fine. But I still don't get you people and the love for the start menu.

I NEVER use the start menu. I just pin stuff to the taskbar.

Perhaps I should have said "applications" rather than "Windows".

But what does it matter that you never use the Start menu? Other people do.

The only keyboard shortcut I ever use is Win+L at the end of the day.

Other people hardly touch the mouse. Doesn't make them bad people.

biggrin.png

I just want to understand why it is so hard to pin all your things to the start screen.

It saves you the step on clicking on a start button from Windows 95.

When you're on the START metro screen type what you want, say "Control Panel". When it comes up, right click in and select "pin to start"

There's nothing to it

pin-to-start-menu-explorer.png

There. I pinned My Computer. Now it's on the start screen. How difficult is that?

Edited by thaicruze

Perhaps you misunderstand. I don't want a tablet GUI on a Desktop PC. It's really meant for a touchscreen.

Start, Control Panel does me just fine.

Well. When you turn on your computer you ARE in start, so there's no need I click on it.

You can type anything you want from the desktop and it'll show up. Even better.

Resisting change is typical. In a few years everyone will be using Metro and making fun of how old and retarded Windows 7 looks.

Actually. What they should do is get rid of the desktop and the "explorer" experience altogether and make everything Metro. What makes Windows 8 bad is the 2 experiences in one. It's Metro but it's also Windows 7.

Same thing with a windows mobile HTC I had. HTC put a skin on top of WM. It was good. But as soon as you clicked in something it booted you back to Windows Mobile.

All I want for next year if for windows to change completely and get rid of the desktop environment and keep you in metro all the time. Even when you're browsing the file system. Cut it out entirely.

They shouldn't give you a choice. This is windows. That's it. Get used to it.

Apple solved this problem a long time ago with the Magic Mouse and later with the pad.

The problem isn't metro, the problem is the windows 95 poking at start menu mice we've been using forever. If there was a touch pad or magic mouse similar to Apple's that allowed you to interact with Windows as if you were touching a screen then it wouldn't be a problem.

Windows 8 isn't a tablet GUI. What IS a tablet GUI anyway? iOS isn't like Windows 8 at all and that's a tablet GUI also. It's not the GUI is the legacy hardware we have trying to interact with a new paradigm.

Laptops need to change. Mice need to change. Keyboards need to change. Everything needs to change to interact better with this new OS. We've been using the same mouse and keyboard since windows 3.1 basically. It's time to change.

The problem with metro is that you're using this to interact with it

6450.jpg

And it just doesn't work.

Edited by thaicruze

I believe it is also for desktops/laptops with touch screens.

MSPain

My Windows 8 starts in about 30 seconds, and that is not from hibernation. My Windows 7 64 bit takes minutes to start.

MSPain

• Like 1

I can't see why peoples' personal choices of OS should bother you. They all have their flaws.

Perhaps you misunderstand. I don't want a tablet GUI on a Desktop PC. It's really meant for a touchscreen.

Start, Control Panel does me just fine.

Well. When you turn on your computer you ARE in start, so there's no need I click on it.

You can type anything you want from the desktop and it'll show up. Even better.

Resisting change is typical. In a few years everyone will be using Metro and making fun of how old and retarded Windows 7 looks.

Actually. What they should do is get rid of the desktop and the "explorer" experience altogether and make everything Metro. What makes Windows 8 bad is the 2 experiences in one. It's Metro but it's also Windows 7.

Same thing with a windows mobile HTC I had. HTC put a skin on top of WM. It was good. But as soon as you clicked in something it booted you back to Windows Mobile.

All I want for next year if for windows to change completely and get rid of the desktop environment and keep you in metro all the time. Even when you're browsing the file system. Cut it out entirely.

They shouldn't give you a choice. This is windows. That's it. Get used to it.

Apple solved this problem a long time ago with the Magic Mouse and later with the pad.

The problem isn't metro, the problem is the windows 95 poking at start menu mice we've been using forever. If there was a touch pad or magic mouse similar to Apple's that allowed you to interact with Windows as if you were touching a screen then it wouldn't be a problem.

Windows 8 isn't a tablet GUI. What IS a tablet GUI anyway? iOS isn't like Windows 8 at all and that's a tablet GUI also. It's not the GUI is the legacy hardware we have trying to interact with a new paradigm.

Laptops need to change. Mice need to change. Keyboards need to change. Everything needs to change to interact better with this new OS. We've been using the same mouse and keyboard since windows 3.1 basically. It's time to change.

The problem with metro is that you're using this to interact with it

6450.jpg

And it just doesn't work.

That's because I'm using a desktop without a touchscreen. The question is why would MS try and force Metro on people?

They've always been shit at mobile devices, and if they follow this path, they always will be.

And I'm sorry, but this is horseshit. In a couple of years, as with Vista, they'll come out with a finished product,

The fact they've entered the tablet business ought to illustrate this.

Edited by Chicog