Zoomer-X

SumetCycle

I've been observing this topic's progression and a thought occurred to me. I wondered on how many worldwide motocycle forums would posters be salivating with lust, excitement and awe at a 100cc scooter most kids with any inkling of self esteem would be embarressed to be even seen standing next to?

I know the forum covers a wide spectrum but I mean...come on guys, settle down, pop a few valium before your hearts give out. Used to be men would go to Pattaya to relive their days of youth not masterbate over pictures of Fino copies. Just sayin'...

I've been observing this topic's progression and a thought occurred to me. I wondered on how many worldwide motocycle forums would posters be salivating with lust, excitement and awe at a 100cc scooter most kids with any inkling of self esteem would be embarressed to be even seen standing next to?

I know the forum covers a wide spectrum but I mean...come on guys, settle down, pop a few valium before your hearts give out. Used to be men would go to Pattaya to relive their days of youth not masterbate over pictures of Fino copies. Just sayin'...

Perhaps you should check your pulse? After all, with a nick like you have, most likely you are past your 'use by date'.

I'm not terribly old (1/3 of a century isn't that old is it?), but I swear to gawd (assuming she's up there listening), that if i ever get so bitter when I actually am old I really do hope that somebody puts me out of my misery...lacking a sense of wonder for the world and not finding something interesting in everything must be a 'orrid life that I pity those experiencing.

Hardly a Fino copy. I love big bikes, but I also love small scoots. Nothing wrong with having some fun modifying a bike, regardless of size. It's of course business for me, but I also see it as a hobby.

Well said that man!

just sayin' what? nonsense?

There are many segments of bikes in this world and every segment has its own style, fun and driving characteristics.

So, fun is not always on a super sport or a chromy Harley. A small scooter sometime can provide you as much as fun a big bike can do.

But, of course, i do not think you can understand these or what is biking. It is always better for a bikers not to trap him/herself on one single bike only that is why many bikers in this world have multiple bikes.

So, i assume you masturbate over the photos of tough Harley riders in leathers only?biggrin.png or you prefer latex?cheesy.gif

A real biker can respect all bikes.

Heck I have folding bicycles that I enjoy riding, but I don't want to open up that can of worms.

I had one of the original 49cc Zoomer/Ruckus and it was pretty fun for only ~$2000.

There's a huge Ruckus scene in Los Angeles where over a hundred guys would roll out on these wimpy scooters.

It's kind of a joke, but that's part of the fun to owning one.

At least you can mod them to your liking for cheap.

I think this one looks OK.

Its not as cool as the military/agricultural style of the original, but I guess I can't fault Honda for making some changes.

For less than the cost of the original 49cc, and with a much bigger engine, this new bike is a bargain in my book.

Back in entry #91 or so we read of 'usual' Clicks. The new 2012 Click-i 125<note) is a different animal from its earlier models and very fast for the class. I mention this only because our subject bike costs more and is called 'Zoomer' when it should be named 'Zipper.' (No relationship intended to certain hobbies while looking at photos, mentioned above.)whistling.gif

It may well be attractive to some eyes (I do like the tyres), and I think that most of us are discussing its looks. But it's a toy, and can no more run up a mountain with 80 kilos aboard than I can - OK, well, that it can, but it won't Zoom at all while doing it. And its true top end speed will in time become boring, never any use beyond the 7-11 or perhaps a field or two.

I do see it as a farm animal, of course, as I agree with others that reliability may be its claim to fame, but in spite every claim for it made above, I continue to be disgusted with its price, given what it is and delivers in performance for the price, except looks.

I have an original Zoomer (50cc), they really could have made this a much nicer looking bike. Stands too high, lost the nice seat frame and light set up, little box upfront for battery and electrics. Just not pretty, fugly. China and Korea do better "not copies". The cult following in America, Europe and Japan are not going to buy into this design. The old one was a fresh interpretation of an old school Lamby. This is not as nice as a KRS. BTW, my Japanese Zoomer can carry 6 bags of groceries and my GF and still go 55 KPH plus it turns heads. This has to be a Thai design, that is &lt;deleted&gt; ugly! Honda makes a load of crappy bikes for Asia and doesn't seem to know the concept they had in 05 which was 125cc is much better and would sell a hella lot more.[/color]

Compare to this from 2005 NProject, Honda losing it's scooter design touch, IMO

http://scooterbbs.ne...mID11/3845.html

There was a black version too which I can't find a pict of.]

I totally agree with this statement. I bought my real Zoomer around 2 years ago and couldn't believe how brilliant it was. It is the coolest looking scooter (forget your beluga whale PCX bling tosh). But here is the thing, much more important to me than the style is its practicality. It is the only bike I can practically use to transport motorcycle parts on. The underseat storage is fabulous but so to is the area in front of the seat which can take on of those big Bo Be market stripey bags stuffed full with clothes. The flat floor being unique in this respect. Then there is the fuel capacity, coupled with the economy, means it has the range measured in hours (ok that is down to its 55km/h top speed too LOL) but far more practical than Thai bikes which need topping up every ride or so. The fun factor is amplified further by the ability to actually stalk and overtake other vehicles on the road and I derive great satisfaction from overtaking cars and motorcycles on the Sukhumvit highway in Sattahip in the short stretch between home and office. I keep a daily score board and it is rarely less than 2 or thre of each. Finally, it is the only scooter I've ridden with true offroad capability. It's tyres allow it to go over the softest terrain (a plus in most of Thailand) and it is built like a tank. When the going gets impossible, you can just grab any part of it and lift it out of trouble. Ok suspension and power are sorely lacking but itbeats the Mio my Udon Thani ex girlfriend used to attempt to get to her paddy field. The Zoomer would have been a much better choice.

Then it got me thinking, this is probably the best motorcycle in the World and definitely the best motorcycle for Thailand. All it needed was a Click power plant and maybe uprated brakes and it could be a bike for all customers. I actually brought this up at a meeting when I was presenting our products to Honda around a year ago. One of the Honda guys at the meeting had a Zoomer (so does half the Moto GP paddock by the way) so he knew what I was trying to say or so I thought. A Mini (the original one, not the Thonglor version) of the motorcycling world. Sporty, cheap, cute, practical and fashionable. Zoomer for shopping, Zoomer for commuting, Zoomer for customizing and looking ultra cool, Zoomer for farmers, hell, you could have Honda utility division hook up with the motorcycles and make a range of add-ons and implements, even make a factory made dry squid side car.

I rushed to order the Zoomer -X and it is arriving in a few hours and we will be making a range of carbon parts for it because I am confident that it will sell to the fashion conscious. As for all the other things it could have been, I feel it has missed the mark by along way and I'll pretty disappointed when comparing it to my original one. In 30 years, I'm betting there will still be some of the original Zoomers being ridden daily, but the Zoomer-x will long be forgotten.

I am sending you a PM

This 'Zoomer' may be the next scooter for my wife, who has run her 4 yr old Fino into the ground. I'm surprised that there haven't been to many comparisons to the Fino in this thread, as it looks like a 'next of kin' to the flimsy Fino, but hopefully a bit tougher. I don't like to be seen on the Fino, but this 'zoomer' looks a bit more manly and has much more carry space.

Also surprised that there have been no comparisons to the 'Yahama Zuma', which looks to me to be a superior scooter.

can be viewed at http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/608/1/home.aspx but it seems that it's not available here........yet......any Zuma sightings here??

You are not authorized to access the webpage at http://www.yamaha-mo...1/home.aspx  . You may need to sign in. 50cc Zuma's have been around awhile never drove one though/

not refering to the 50cc Zuma, but it's bigger brother the 125cc.....is not available here that I know of or searched for.

And sorry if I am hijacking the op's topic, but just offering comparisons. If you can't access the link, then just google 'yamaha 215 zuma' and you will see lots of info from non Thai sites, but hopefully it will make it here eventually.

weird. Still link not working for me and I am using Chrome too. And sorry, I forgot they came out with a 125cc (as I understand it it is available in the states too). When I lft there they only had the 50 which I was actually thinking of buying at one point.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I just viewed the ZoomerX in Chiang Mai Honda, priced at 54,xxx thb. It does look a bit more tougher than the Fino and seems like it will give a decent ride. I liked the fatter tires, stronger suspension, storage space and the less 'sissy' look compared with the Fino. It's a scooter that I wouldn't feel ashamed to drive as I do when I use the wife's Fino.

OK, I just viewed the ZoomerX in Chiang Mai Honda, priced at 54,xxx thb. It does look a bit more tougher than the Fino and seems like it will give a decent ride. I liked the fatter tires, stronger suspension, storage space and the less 'sissy' look compared with the Fino. It's a scooter that I wouldn't feel ashamed to drive as I do when I use the wife's Fino.

Honda's Fino competitor is the Scoopy - quite surprised the Fino gave up the ghost after only 4 years, my now 7 (?) year old Wave is still running fine, never did anything to it except oil changes. I don't really understand how a battery can last this long...

The "Zuma"... jeez - looks very similar and the name is almost the same as the "Zoomer" too... I don't know who was first but can't these guys be just a little more original?

The model seems to sell very well in any case, I see them all over town. I'd probably got for a PCX or a Scoopy if I was getting a new scooter but the Zoomer is a nice little bike.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a few of these at Tesco a few weeks ago. They’re pretty neat looking, and I’m in the market for a new bike, since my last one was run over by a bus, fixed by Honda, and is now falling apart. I have also been told it’s possessed, cursed or both. I figure if it’s both, they cancel each other out, and I’ll give it to my sister-in-law. Anyway, anyone own one of these yet? Would like to hear from someone who has owned one for a month or so.

I am thinking of buying one tomorrow, why should I not buy a standard zoomer x? If not, which other scooter would you recommend? Just a market bike or cleaning day bike for me and my go... I like cheap, but find the yellow zoomer interesting...

Our local motorcycle taxi rider let me have a ride of his new Zoomer X. It feels pretty nippy, handles well and has usual Honda quality finish, and his has an inner box that slots into the underseat storage area to make it secure. I like it and certainly wouldn`t worry over what other Westerners think about it`s looks - looks are subjective.

Friend is getting on this week, so I will take it for a spin, I wish it wasn't automatic, takes so much fun out of driving...

Well i guess the closest thing to a manual Zoomer would be a KLX 110.

150cc GY6 conversion to a ruckus/zoomer and then up bore to 190cc, and then realize you could have bought an ERN6 haha