Nissan Pickup Instrument Failure

Eric1949

I have a 2001 Nissan Frontier pickup. For some time now the speedometer has been faulty, now, recently I have an intermittant failure of the rev counter, the odometer, and the temperature guage, with the fuel guage giving a false reading. A friend says there is a small motor that supplies the current for the instruments. Does anyone know what this motor looks like, and where under the bonnet is it located?

Ta.

It's all computerized l would think. Sometimes just pulling off plugs and putting them back on will fix the problem otherwise it's a visit to a Nissan main dealer to be analized. sad.png

Would be very surprised if 2001 was all computerized I bet the speedo is still cable.

It's all computerized l would think. Sometimes just pulling off plugs and putting them back on will fix the problem otherwise it's a visit to a Nissan main dealer to be analized. sad.png

Would be very surprised if 2001 was all computerized I bet the speedo is still cable.

Perhaps, but at the meter end of the cable it will be electronic. smile.png

If its got the wheels that go round mechanically on the speedo then it is mechanical, if it has a digital read out it is electronic.

Edited by transam

If its got the wheels that go round mechanically on the speedo then it is mechanical, if it has a digital read out it is electronic.

<deleted> stay off the loopy juice. Who in their right mind is going to take a 2001 Nissan to a main dealer!!??. There will be umpteen local Somchai backstreet garages who are more than capable of rebuilding a new Frontier for you.

<deleted> stay off the loopy juice. Who in their right mind is going to take a 2001 Nissan to a main dealer!!??. There will be umpteen local Somchai backstreet garages who are more than capable of rebuilding a new Frontier for you.

Great stuff, tell him where to take it to fix electronics failure AND keep all informed. thumbsup.gif

Eric, most rev counters are usually powered by the alternator, not sure about the rest of the panel? quickest way to find out is remove plug from alternater and start engine [if not easy, take off fan belts] if the panel is dead, then the fault is with diodes in alternator, Yes it will still charge battery ect but it does sound like the brushes are getting low in the alternator,