Suicide Growing Among Thais

webfact

Suicide growing among Thais

image_201209061713299B11F6DB-902A-A8E2-352BAC02D2A087E9.jpg

BANGKOK, Sept 6 – The number of Thais turning to suicide in 2011 reached a higher rate than the previous year, according to Mental Health Department deputy director-general Dr Tawee Tangseri.

Over 3,500 persons in Thailand commit suicide on average per year.

In 2011, the figure reached over 3,800, a ratio of 6.03 per 100,000 persons. Last year's overall death toll from suicide was higher than 2010 when the overall suicide rate was 5.9 per 100,000 persons.

According to statistics from 2007-2011, Dr Tawee said 852 teens committed suicide, at an average rate of about 170 per year.

Last year, Thai teenagers aged 15-19 committed suicide, at a ratio of 3.43 per 100,000 in the population. Young men are three times more successful at suicide than young women, while young women are three times likely than young men to hurt themselves.

Suicide is usually associate with extreme depression. Among young people failed friendships, love affairs, failed exams, while the aged or persons with terminal diseases sometimes commit suicide because they do not wish to become a burden to their families.

Thai teenagers need special attention, Dr Tawee said, for young people are bound to face life problems and they must adjust to what challenges life offers, such as being accepted in a university.

Suicide is an important problem facing Thai society, he noted. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-09-06

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

imo most cannot afford the iPad/iPhone plus the amout of skin bleeching required to be white enough to be in the 'cool group'. since 90% of people on TV have these things and are 'white' while most of the population can only dream, their selfworth will continue to fall.

only dark skinned people on tv are commedians.

• Like 2

imo most cannot afford the iPad/iPhone plus the amout of skin bleeching required to be white enough to be in the 'cool group'. since 90% of people on TV have these things and are 'white' while most of the population can only dream, their selfworth will continue to fall.

What on earth are you on about???

Err.. what?

Err.. what?

He is being sarcastic. And the stereotypes he's used have some truth in them.

Okay, I'll play.. <deleted> An attempt at comedy, sarcasm or cheap drugs kicking in? blink.png

I have to wonder about some of you guys.

Suicide and depression are major issues which affect not only the victim but also their family and friends. Death is usually sudden, unexpected and unannounced.

It is fine to use humour in any situation, but at least make the humour in good taste when addressing this issue.

Also, It is another thing entirely to trivialise the matter by making inane comments.

• Like 2

Suicide and depression are major issues which affect not only the victim but also their family and friends. Death is usually sudden, unexpected and unannounced.

It is fine to use humour in any situation, but at least make the humour in good taste when addressing this issue.

Also, It is another thing entirely to trivialise the matter by making inane comments.

So I can't say that there is one sector of society that do have a death wish, most drivers when they overtake on a blind bend!

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Thaivisa Connect App

well said and ty for intelligent response to stupidity

Err.. what?

2011 suicide rate is 6.03 per 100,000 persons Thailand

2009 suicide rate is 6.9 per 100,000 persons United Kingdom

2008 suicide rate is 11.8 per 100,000 persons United States

2011 suicide rate is 21.4 per 100,000 persons Russia

Looks likes Thailand is not the only country in need of more Apple products and skin cream wink.png

• Like 1

Pretty insensitive comment about a serious subject don't ya think?

Err.. what?

2011 suicide rate is 6.03 per 100,000 persons Thailand

2009 suicide rate is 6.9 per 100,000 persons United Kingdom

2008 suicide rate is 11.8 per 100,000 persons United States

2011 suicide rate is 21.4 per 100,000 persons Russia

Looks likes Thailand is not the only country in need of more Apple products and skin cream wink.png

I don't think that those are the reasons for suicide, but I do think they are things that most Thai youths go dwell on a lot. But good job on the stats.

Yes, this is the result of an easy education system that allows students to perform poorly and still graduate. This is the result of a society that has children everything is always sanook, never time for seriousness and the things they ask their parents for are usually given to them. Then as adults they are hit with the harsh reality that life is not all fun and games, that very rarely is it ever sanook, that most of the time we don't have all the things we want and these people have not been taught how to deal with these situations and the reality of life and they just can't handle it.

Part of me also thinks it has a little bit to do with the belief of reincarnation.

• Like 2

IMHO it boils down to rules of a society, that measures the value of a person by the status symbols they own, how they look etc. The pressure is mounting and becomimg unbearable. PaulHamon maybe insensitive, but he is not far from the truth!

• Like 1

Cause pampered princesses arnt funny like regular folk.. look at chris rock for example.

• Like 1

No it is not.

What is happening is that suicides are being reported more accurately.

20 years ago, the taboo of suicide was stronger and all sorts of explanations would be given to explain a death.

It was very similar to the reporting of HIV related deaths. Cancer, respiratory collapse, but no mention of the HIV.

The same for suicide; Misadventure, an accident, etc, but no mention of the actual suicide.

Now that the authorities have better training and formal educations, they understand the need for accuracy and the numbers reflect the reporting. Unfortunately, there is still a willingness to describe some events as an accident to shield some families from the perceived shame of a suicide.

In 2002 the suicide rate was reported as being higher (7.8 per 100,000) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

O K I was with you up until

What are you talking about.

yes i wonder about the reincarnation belief and the potential for recklesness which is its corrolary too...nice comment Thai Rich

Reincarnation is viewed closer to a punishment than any kind of reward and committing suicide would ensure you come back in very low status. I think the the Biblical community would be more inclined to off themselves in terms of afterlife rewards but again suicide is usually viewed as a no-no. But to be clear the ultimate goal of a Buddhist is to not be reborn.

• Like 1

yes i wonder about the reincarnation belief and the potential for recklesness which is its corrolary too...nice comment Thai Rich

Reincarnation is viewed closer to a punishment than any kind of reward and committing suicide would ensure you come back in very low status. I think the the Biblical community would be more inclined to off themselves in terms of afterlife rewards but again suicide is usually viewed as a no-no. But to be clear the ultimate goal of a Buddhist is to not be reborn.

I think the point is that they believe they will be reborn so death is not final. Like taking a mulligan in the game of life.

• Like 1