Foreigner Marriage Rejected At District Office...

ericaangela

I am a US citizen wanting to marry a UK citizen. We notarized the affidavits at our respective embassies, translated them (400thb each), express legalized them at the MFA (800thb each, waited less than 2 hours), then took them to the Phra Khanong District Office at Sukhumvit Soi 54, where the guy rejected it! Went across the street to a travel agent who spoke English and she said he rejected it because I have "homemaker" listed as my occupation, and that Thai officials would prefer that I am able to bring in money and have a "proper" occupation.

I have never heard of this before, I've researched this process for ages! We are not residents here, and do not plan on being in Thailand for more than a month. I have a large belly, as I'm 9 months pregnant, could that have dissuaded the guy from marrying us? Does anyone know if this is a common problem? We were told to go to the Bang Rak District Office as they are more lenient. I would prefer not to have to go back to the embassy and the MFA again... Any other lenient District Offices? Should we bring an interpreter with us? Thanks.

Just visit another amphur. Ban rak is used to marrying foreigners, so you would stand a much better chance of it getting accepted there or anywhere else. No need to change the MFA document.

The documents require you to list a job and income, but having a job and/or income is not a requirement to get married.

Go to Ban Rak.

Just visit another amphur. Ban rak is used to marrying foreigners, so you would stand a much better chance of it getting accepted there or anywhere else. No need to change the MFA document.

The documents require you to list a job and income, but having a job and/or income is not a requirement to get married.

Bang Rak.

And it's here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bang+Rak+District+Office+Naret+Bangkok+Thailand&hl=en&ll=13.731881,100.523593&spn=0.010902,0.021136&sll=13.727233,100.530567&sspn=0.010902,0.021136&oq=bang+rak,+districoffice&hq=Bang+Rak+District+Office&hnear=Naret,+Si+Phraya,+Bang+Rak,+Bangkok+10500,+Thailand&t=m&z=16&iwloc=A

Just go early.

The requirement is that you have translator as you have to sign Thai paperwork and two witness. If you did not suspect that and office not wanting to deal with language issues likely the case. With Thai and foreigner they can at least communicate with one of the parties but with both being foreign it could be rather hard. As they told you go to Bang Rak as they have english speaking people and do most marriage for both foreigners and Thai in Bangkok (as good luck to marry in District of Love).