Idiots Who Come To Thailand.

chiangmaikelly

Watch out lads, we've got an expert of 40 years on here. biggrin.png

And tale telling on Stickboy.

Busiest restraunt Ive seen in Thailand was in Koh Samui and it was the Bondi Bar and Grill. An Aussie hamburger kind of joint. It was packed everyday. I thought why go to a country with some of the best flavour combinations going round just to go eat food you have back home.

Cos not everyone likes spicy food, nor everyone can handle different food types and some are just more comfortable in known surrounds.

Not a great way to spend holidays you have saved up for in bed with bangkok belly, the runs or anything else. So easing themselves into the food might be the right way for them.

I eat anything...except gizzard and congealed blood.

oh and chicken feet.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whistling.gif Long ago lads, when I was but 20 years old and a brand newbie to the then Republic of Vietnam (south) in what was then called Vung Tau (Cap St. Jacques to the French) I had my first Asian meal served to me by a pretty Vietnamese girl.

It was a sandwich, different types of meat on a half loaf of buttered french bread with Mayonaise.

It was served with a cold mug of local Vietnamese beer...Bierre 33 or as it was known thereabouts as Ba Moui Ba...that being the number 33 in Vietnamese.

I later found out that one of the meats in that sandwhich was made from pressed snake meat.

The sandwch was great....and later on, after a few more cold Bierre 33's...so was that young girl.

Point is, if I had been cautious and took no chances, I wouldn't been willing to try either of them,

I'm now coming on to my 66th birthday next month,

whistling.gif

And what does that have to do with this thread? I told the guy to pick something Thai off of a Thai menu. About the same thing you did. I told him to avoid an Americanized T-Bone steak as he would not be able to chew it. It would be good if he needed to patch a tire. He agreed after he ate the steak that he could have patched a tire with it.

I still don't get how that makes him an idiot. He decided to try the steak against your advice, it was tough as you said it would be, so what? Now he knows to try chicken or pork. Lesson learned. Move on.

The point is his conditioning. He learned nothing. He will go out to another restaurant and have another steak and complain about Thai beef.

His whole world is in his head and it can't change.

He evaluates everything by his own culture and can't get over or outside of it.

He is like a turtle carrying his culture on his back like a shell.

He will never learn not to order beef in Thailand. He will complain about if for however many years it takes to convince himself to leave and go back to a place where beef is like he remembers it.

He could have accepted the fact that Thais don't eat beef.

I cook Thai food for my family every night. I know what they like to eat and what they don't like to eat. I have adapted.

You see the same kind of poster on Thai Visa every day. Look at the post now about the guy with the labor problems. He does not have a clue. Do you think Thais face the same problems? No of course not. Mercedes, BMW and Ford would not be here if they had significant labor problems. It obvious that the managers of Mercedes, BMW and Ford are not idiots.

Thais don't eat beef? That's news to me. My Thai lady loves beef and it's served in many Thai restaurants we go to. Admittedly it's usually had the crap pounded out of it, sliced very thin and stir fried briefly. Your responses are really beginning to sound like an insane rant. Because this guy didn't take your advice on what to eat, he's now an ignoramus who will never appreciate anything about Thailand. You really are stretching this topic to the max at the risk of sounding like a loony.

• Like 1

And what does that have to do with this thread? I told the guy to pick something Thai off of a Thai menu. About the same thing you did. I told him to avoid an Americanized T-Bone steak as he would not be able to chew it. It would be good if he needed to patch a tire. He agreed after he ate the steak that he could have patched a tire with it.

I still don't get how that makes him an idiot. He decided to try the steak against your advice, it was tough as you said it would be, so what? Now he knows to try chicken or pork. Lesson learned. Move on.

The point is his conditioning. He learned nothing. He will go out to another restaurant and have another steak and complain about Thai beef.

He will never learn not to order beef in Thailand. He will complain about if for however many years it takes to convince himself to leave and go back to a place where beef is like he remembers it.

He could have accepted the fact that Thais don't eat beef.

I cook Thai food for my family every night. I know what they like to eat and what they don't like to eat. I have adapted.

You see the same kind of poster on Thai Visa every day. Look at the post now about the guy with the labor problems. He does not have a clue. Do you think Thais face the same problems? No of course not. Mercedes, BMW and Ford would not be here if they had significant labor problems. It obvious that the managers of Mercedes, BMW and Ford are not idiots.

Thais don't eat beef? That's news to me. My Thai lady loves beef and it's served in many Thai restaurants we go to. Admittedly it's usually had the crap pounded out of it, sliced very thin and stir fried briefly. Your responses are really beginning to sound like an insane rant. Because this guy didn't take your advice on what to eat, he's now an ignoramus who will never appreciate anything about Thailand. You really are stretching this topic to the max at the risk of sounding like a loony.

Like I said Thais don't eat beef. You will figure it out after a while. If you go to a Thai Muslim restaurant there will be beef on the menu. What percent of the population is Muslim? I think you missed my post 4 years ago when I said I would drop the "great majority" from everything I said in the interest of brevity. I had ox tail soup on Monday. Are there oxen in Thailand?

Thais don't eat beef? That's news to me.

Yes some dont, Mrs Soutpeel is one of those that doesnt, know of quite few Thai's that dont

He didn't say some Thais don't eat beef. He made a blanket statement that Thais don't eat beef, which is absolute rubbish. They may not eat it as great slabs of blood oozing steak, but in some kind of curry or stir-fry. It may not be the quality of beef that I was used to in Australia, but it's still beef. If it's not, please tell me what animal it comes from. My god, with opinions like these I'm not surprised his "friend" won't take his advice.

Edited by giddyup

Yes some dont, Mrs Soutpeel is one of those that doesnt, know of quite few Thai's that dont

He didn't say some Thais don't eat beef. He made a blanket statement that Thais don't eat beef, which is absolute rubbish. It may not be the quality of beef that I was used to in Australia, but it's still beef. If it's not, please tell me what animal it comes from.

You are nitpicking again. India 3 kg per year. Thailand 28 kg and Australia 123 kg per year

He didn't say some Thais don't eat beef. He made a blanket statement that Thais don't eat beef, which is absolute rubbish. They may not eat it as great slabs of blood oozing steak, but in some kind of curry or stir-fry. It may not be the quality of beef that I was used to in Australia, but it's still beef. If it's not, please tell me what animal it comes from. My god, with opinions like these I'm not surprised his "friend" won't take his advice.

Always happy to help it comes from Water Buffalo and that is not beef by my standards. I think some posters can't tell the difference though.

He didn't say some Thais don't eat beef. He made a blanket statement that Thais don't eat beef, which is absolute rubbish. It may not be the quality of beef that I was used to in Australia, but it's still beef. If it's not, please tell me what animal it comes from.

You are nitpicking again. India 3 kg per year. Thailand 28 kg and Australia 123 kg per year

You responses are getting weirder. Now you are saying that Thais do eat beef, just not as much as Australia, and I'm nitpicking? You sound like an absolute know-it-all, who really knows sweet FA. I think this subject has run it's course as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

I agree that these types exist, but how long did you have to spend in his company before you had his psychological profile nailed?

Edited by chonabot
  • Like 1

So, guys now this is a test. How do you get a Thai women to really like you? Hmmmm. Well what do Thai women like to do? A. Take her to a go go?

B. Take her to the beach?

C. Take her to an exotic island.

D. Take her to Central mall in Pattaya.

D is the answer guys. Remember Thai women like to shop. Thai women like to shop and eat. There is more shopping and eating per square foot at Central mall in Pattaya than almost any place in Thailand.

Oh, I got told, "Buy a ricecooker, first. Next is a own motorcycles for her, and then the pick up for Papa, the buffalo is sick."

So next time, better go to Central mall, Pattaya?

Learning never stops coffee1.gif

Edited by noob7

Watch out lads, we've got an expert of 40 years on here. biggrin.png

So you are making fun of experience. Good. Better you the weekend millionaire. I would imagine your opinion of two days in Thailand is more valid than mine? Correct?

So now you are going to tell me how long you have lived in Thailand and have known Thai women, right?

OK so follow that reasoning. For you to have a valid opinion you must have spent some amount of time in Thailand? How long? Is more time better? Or is the time you have spent long enough to have the correct opinion? Will you learn nothing if you spend the next 20 years in Thailand?

Length of stay and ability to understand and not always related.

For you to have a valid opinion, you first need to understand.

Someone who lumps all 'Thai women' into a 'one box fits all' will likely have their opinions questioned.

When you meet a Thai woman who does not like to shop outside of a Wat let me know.

I have been married 7 years and have never seen my wife anywhere near a wat, except in passing. Is there special shopping there? Yes she is Thai.

Ah typical TommoPhysicist contempt for women.

I know it's always been difficult for you to figure them out but surely, even you want a woman to like you, right?!

A wise man once told me " The day you think you have a woman figured out, is the day that you are well and truly F***ed"

P.S. He didn't mean F****ed, in a sexual way

Edited by I Like Thai

You responses are getting weirder. Now you are saying that Thais do eat beef, just not as much as Australia, and I'm nitpicking? You sound like an absolute know-it-all, who really knows sweet FA. I think this subject has run it's course as far as I'm concerned.

When the going gets rough the giddyup get going. I already told you I dropped the great majority from my posting vocab.

Thais don't eat beef. When was the last time you saw a Prime Rib restaurant in Thailand. Are any of the great steak houses in Thailand?

So you are making fun of experience. Good. Better you the weekend millionaire. I would imagine your opinion of two days in Thailand is more valid than mine? Correct?

So now you are going to tell me how long you have lived in Thailand and have known Thai women, right?

OK so follow that reasoning. For you to have a valid opinion you must have spent some amount of time in Thailand? How long? Is more time better? Or is the time you have spent long enough to have the correct opinion? Will you learn nothing if you spend the next 20 years in Thailand?

Length of stay and ability to understand and not always related.

For you to have a valid opinion, you first need to understand.

Someone who lumps all 'Thai women' into a 'one box fits all' will likely have their opinions questioned.

When you meet a Thai woman who does not like to shop outside of a Wat let me know.

I have been married 7 years and have never seen my wife anywhere near a wat, except in passing. Is there special shopping there? Yes she is Thai.

Yes. Same as in Newfundland.

I know a guy who tries to tell everything to everyone 'new'.

Everybody considers him a <deleted>, and the newbees who listen to him end up in a much unhappier, unfullfilling place.

I let people explore and learn for themselves, and we usually have a lot fun along the way.

Go figure.

Revelation 13:18:"Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is.............!"

^^^^^^

Looks to me like he asked your opinion, but then chose to go with his own or his girlfriends. Doesn't make him an idiot.

And before you start calling people caveman and telling them to go away..just remember your the one calling a new found 'friend/buddy" an idiot for not listening to you. Sound a boit like a control freak to mecrazy.gif

Tommy says, "Who would be so daft as to care what a woman (of any nationality) thinks of you (and how could you ever know).

Usually the more you seem to like a woman, the less she actually likes you.

Pandering to 'what women want' got crossed off my 'to do' list after my first divorce."

You and your buddy tommy can take your women hating stuff somewhere else it makes me ill.

Read my post #93

My 'buddy' Tommy was expressing HIS opinion as did YOU.

And I dont call my 'buddy' an idiot YOU do!

And quite frankly you trying to shove YOUR opinion down my throat makes me ill toosick.gif

Tommy's opinions are woman hating and get threads closed. He writes about women as objects. Up to him but it has nothing to do with what I was writing about.

Where have I shown any hatred towards any women in any post I have ever made?

I'm treating them as independent beings who can think for themselves and make their own choices.

My wife is with me because she seems to like me, and we run a farm together. Work and money 50/50.

Tell us again why your wife is with you? Does she contribute the same financially to the family as you do?

@TDZ

My wife is Buddhist, she says Buddha doesn't like her eating beef.

I don't much like eating beef in Thailand either, but for a different reason.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Ah typical TommoPhysicist contempt for women.

I know it's always been difficult for you to figure them out but surely, even you want a woman to like you, right?!

A wise man once told me " The day you think you have a woman figured out, is the day that you are well and truly F***ed"

P.S. He didn't mean F****ed, in a sexual way

Maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong but I was talking about women liking men, not about having them figured out.

For the record Thai's who don't eat Beef particularly if they are from the North of LOS....

Have foregone the pleasure as a sacrifice to the local ju ju doctor for granting them their wish which would hae usually come true anyway but thats a different subject.

They believe emphatically, that's why they dare not eat beef.

I have a few unreliable sources for this fact.

When the going gets rough the giddyup get going. I already told you I dropped the great majority from my posting vocab.

Thais don't eat beef. When was the last time you saw a Prime Rib restaurant in Thailand. Are any of the great steak houses in Thailand?

Great steak houses. Maybe.

Places selling steak or beef. Yes lots and not in tourist areas as well.

While many Thais don't eat beef , many do.

My mother in law won't eat it.

My brother in law would love to but it gives him indigestion.

My wife loves it.

My best mate eats it.

His wife won't eat it.

Not every Thai person is the same even within their own families.

There's a shop on Kasetsart (SP?) campus that only sells raw beef.

There's a stall in some car parts/memoribillia market in Bangkok that I've never seen another farang at with a stall selling cooked beef. You usually have to queue.

Sante Fe have beef on their menu.

Kobe steak houses. One on petchaburi road opposite soi 5 away from tourist areas.

For the record Thai's who don't eat Beef particularly if they are from the North of LOS....

Have foregone the pleasure as a sacrifice to the local ju ju doctor for granting them their wish which would hae usually come true anyway but thats a different subject.

Yes very unreliable it seems, just asked Mrs Soutpeel who incidently is from the South of Thailand and she says its a buddhist thing some people choose to do, nothing to do with the ju ju doctor.

Yes very unreliable it seems, just asked Mrs Soutpeel who incidently is from the South of Thailand and she says its a buddhist thing some people choose to do, nothing to do with the ju ju doctor.

I've been told a few things.

One is it's because of a goddess. I think the goddess is a cow and Chinese, but erm I'm not sure on either.

Another because the animal helped the family so they don't want to eat it.

And the other is to do with re-incarnation. I think it's believed that good people can come back as cows.

I have no idea if any are true, but the goddess one has been told to me by several people. The other 2 by just one person.

I was wrong I gave you meat eaten numbers. Beef is lower. About 3kg per person per year. So it is really a small amount. Sorry Giddy it is quite a bit smaller than I said. The average person gets one Big Mac every other month. I think that's right. So I guess Thai people really don't eat beef do they?

BHUMIJAI FARM COMPANY

RAJABHAT SAKHONNAKON UNIVERSITY ; THAILAND

www.dld.go.th/pvlo_sno/data51/Tajima.pdf

Edited by chiangmaikelly

The guy did take advice from his GF over the OP, who he had just met, so i dont think there is anything unusual about that. That she didn't know much about his foreign taste in food might not have occurred to him.

He might have learnt something from the experience. Why not take him out again and tell us the outcome of the dinner?

Neither he nor his GF have ever been to Pattaya. They are going this weekend. I told them to get a room at the Hilton and go shopping at Central and see a movie. They said, no. They got a cheap hotel 500 baht with a view and are going to Walking street. Oh well.

whats up telling these folks what to do, eat and stay?

if the man wants a steak, let em have a steak.

if they needed a baby sitter they would have taken out an ad.

(you want to screw the wife, i guarantee it)

Lemme clarify it for the luddites. I been in and around Thailand 40 years. New guy three days. We are in a restaurant. I say to new guy; everything is good but don't eat the beef steak. The pork chops are great, the chicken breast is good but don't eat the beef steak. Have anything you want but avoid the beef steak because it is awful. Waiter comes and the new guy says, "I'll have a T bone steak!"

40 years eh?

You came over from Nam?

sizzler you idiot.

• Like 2

Yes. Same as in Newfundland.

I've never been to Newfoundland, but thanks for the tip, I'll drop by a wat and see if I can get some cod and a bottle of screech.

sizzler you idiot.

With all due respect Sizzler is a budget steakhouse with a bad to questionable reputation. I was thinking or a great steak house. With a Thai average consumption of less 3 kg of beef per year it does not warrant any expensive steak houses. http://www.hungrygow...ndarin_gallery/

http://www.ruthschris.com/Menu