Does Being Called Farang Bother You?

MonkeyMagic3

Do you mind being called farang?  

330 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have never understood why people get upset about this. All the Thais that I know well, call me by my name unless they are explaining to someone that I am a foreigner when it is about my business. No one that I am at familiar with calls me farang as if that were my name. What is the big deal?

As someone else said, I do not always remember every Thai person's name, so why should I expect near strangers to remember mine?

Edited by Ulysses G.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it doesn't bother me. But what bother me is people who continually have to ask this question.

So being called a name based solely on the colour of your skin doesn't bother you but someone who is sometimes bothered by it bothers you?!

So people who know you still call you farang? That's rather odd. Does your wife call you farang?

And your OP is really misleading and inaccurate. People in the US, for example, are referred to by skin color/ethnicity all the time, e.g., African-Americans, blacks, whites, Caucasians, Hispanics, etc. But you're bringing up derogatory racial slurs which "farang" definitely is not. Many have tried to play that game and it only demonstrates their ignorance.

If your only concern is that people who know you still call you farang, that's one thing (and again, highly unusual). But the term farang is not offensive.

Where did I say that people who know me call me farang? I didn't. I said that I have been called farang by people even though they know my name such as in the transport office recently and also at the hospital, both of the people in question had my name on documents yet still called me Khun farang. But according to you that isn't rude, it is just Thai!

And people I come into contact with regularly, like at the local shop, could ask me my name (like I did theirs) but they would rather just call me farang.

Like I said I consider it a negative thing about Thailand.

OK!

But you are aware that Thai people see it as neither negative nor positive. Aren't you? It is usually purely descriptive (unless used improperly). Unlike in many European and North American cultures, being openly descriptive, especially about psychical features is not considered to be rude in Thailand. You do know this, don't you?

But it is in other countries don't you know?

Exactly. That's why I understand Jingthing's position.

Edited by Morakot

OK!

But you are aware that Thai people see it as neither negative nor positive. Aren't you? It is usually purely descriptive (unless used improperly). Unlike in many European and North American cultures, being openly descriptive, especially about psychical features is not considered to be rude in Thailand. You do know this, don't you?

But it is in other countries don't you know?

Exactly. That's why I understand Jingthing's position.

Fair enough thenthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I have never understood why people get upset about this. All the Thais that I know well, call me by my name unless they are explaining to someone that I am a foreigner when it is about my business. No one that I am at familiar with calls me farang as if that were my name. What is the big deal?

As someone else said, I do not always remember every Thai person's name, so why should I expect near strangers to remember mine?

then how come people in Cambodia, Myanmar , Vietnam, Malaysia etc don't continually make you feel like an alien when they know your name?

Edited by Asiantravel

then how come people in Cambodia, Myanmar , Vietnam, Malaysia etc don't continually make you feel like an alien when they know your name?

Because they are not Thaiwhistling.gif

No, it doesn't bother me. But what bother me is people who continually have to ask this question.

What bothers me is people who feel the need to make the above comment!

New members join all the time. When you joined TV did you trawl through every post to ensure that you didn't ask a question someone else had asked previously?

If you are not interested in a topic, or have seen it before and so are bored by it, then the solution is simple; don't read it!

Well said 7by7 thumbsup.gif

So people who know you still call you farang? That's rather odd. Does your wife call you farang?

And your OP is really misleading and inaccurate. People in the US, for example, are referred to by skin color/ethnicity all the time, e.g., African-Americans, blacks, whites, Caucasians, Hispanics, etc. But you're bringing up derogatory racial slurs which "farang" definitely is not. Many have tried to play that game and it only demonstrates their ignorance.

If your only concern is that people who know you still call you farang, that's one thing (and again, highly unusual). But the term farang is not offensive.

Where did I say that people who know me call me farang? I didn't. I said that I have been called farang by people even though they know my name such as in the transport office recently and also at the hospital, both of the people in question had my name on documents yet still called me Khun farang. But according to you that isn't rude, it is just Thai!

And people I come into contact with regularly, like at the local shop, could ask me my name (like I did theirs) but they would rather just call me farang.

Your first paragraph is a tad confusing, but nevermind. The fact that they're saying "Khun" farang is a touch polite, don't you think? It's akin to "Mr." or even "Sir" in a customer service context. Why get hot and bothered over it?

To be fair, I can see rare instances where it could be offensive and it's mostly about context. If someone were to be talking down to you for no explicable reason. For example, if your car was being repaired and the mechanic wanted to call you over and says, "Hey farang! Come here!" Has that happened to you? It's never happened to me. But I'd consider that a little rude.

No

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

Even if someone knows your name but they call you Mr farang or just farang?

No problem for me but I would prefer to be called "almighty one".

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

• Like 1

"It is generally believed that the word farang originated with the Indo-Persian word farangi, meaning foreigner. This in turn comes from the word Frank via the Arabic word firinjīyah, which was used to refer to the Franks, a West Germanic tribe that became the biggest political power in Western Europe during the early Middle Ages and from which France derives its name."

I don’t mind being called Farang, if referring to me as a Caucasian or foreigner. If they are referring to me as being French, as stated above…..That pisses me off.laugh.png

• Like 1

"It is generally believed that the word farang originated with the Indo-Persian word farangi, meaning foreigner. This in turn comes from the word Frank via the Arabic word firinjīyah, which was used to refer to the Franks, a West Germanic tribe that became the biggest political power in Western Europe during the early Middle Ages and from which France derives its name."

I don’t mind being called Farang, if referring to me as a Caucasian or foreigner. If they are referring to me as being French, as stated above…..That pisses me off.laugh.png

Why are you been referred to as farangsay? ermm.gif

Edited by Morakot

I am annoyed by foreigners who have gone so "Thai-ier than thou" that they argue that the f-rang name calling is a great thing and never insulting and/or racist. I also don't think WE as foreigners should use the word talking about each other. Like I said I consider it a negative thing about Thailand. We can't change that, so it's wise to ACCEPT it, but to PROMOTE is a step nobody needs to take!

So could you give us the correct Thai word that a foreigner should be called when his name is unknown.

Your first paragraph is a tad confusing, but nevermind. The fact that they're saying "Khun" farang is a touch polite, don't you think? It's akin to "Mr." or even "Sir" in a customer service context. Why get hot and bothered over it?

To be fair, I can see rare instances where it could be offensive and it's mostly about context. If someone were to be talking down to you for no explicable reason. For example, if your car was being repaired and the mechanic wanted to call you over and says, "Hey farang! Come here!" Has that happened to you? It's never happened to me. But I'd consider that a little rude.

I know Khun is the same as Mr, my point was that at the two places mentioned they had my name on documents in front of them and when they were calling the Thai people they used their name but when they called me they said Khun Farang and not Khun Mark. That is slightly rude don't you think?

I get f-offed when a tuk tuk driver or similar yells 'hey farang, you want tuk tuk' . Couldn't he just say "Excuse me sir, would like to go for a ride in my lovely 3 wheeled, open-aired lpg auto?"

Failing that, just hold up a sign saying 'me buffalo, you farang, want to go for a ride?"

• Like 1

I get f-offed when a tuk tuk driver or similar yells 'hey farang, you want tuk tuk' . Couldn't he just say "Excuse me sir, would like to go for a ride in my lovely 3 wheeled, open-aired lpg auto?"

Failing that, just hold up a sign saying 'me buffalo, you farang, want to go for a ride?"

LOL

Here's my ride. biggrin.png

post-155923-0-04441800-1347006726_thumb.

Edited by Morakot

I know Khun is the same as Mr, my point was that at the two places mentioned they had my name on documents in front of them and when they were calling the Thai people they used their name but when they called me they said Khun Farang and not Khun Mark. That is slightly rude don't you think?

That's odd, that they wouldn't just say Khun Mark, if they knew your name. Perhaps they were afraid of mispronouncing it? Honestly don't know...although I'm relatively certain that they weren't intending to be rude to you.

That's odd, that they wouldn't just say Khun Mark, if they knew your name. Perhaps they were afraid of mispronouncing it? Honestly don't know...although I'm relatively certain that they weren't intending to be rude to you.

Take it as a compliment, not everyday you hear Khun Farang.

OK!

Not true. Its a Thai double standard.

They use it in a way that if it were them being talked about with a word that means all asians, they would be extremely offended.

In the Us I have heard many Thais complain about being referred to as aliens. No one calls them that, it is only a term on a form and only used for immigration purposes.

Imagine if Americans used the term alien the way the Thais use "falang."

Not a doubt in my mind they would be very, very offended. And alien doesn't even refer to race, only to non-americans.

They use it in a way that if it were them being talked about with a word that means all asians, they would be extremely offended.

You might be surprised to learn that there is such a word Thai people use to refer to all Asians: i.e. คนเอเชีย But I don't think it is offensive to them.

I love guava. It's refreshingly tasty.

What has this to do with the OP's topic!!!!!

Thais call Guava farang, sit and eat one in the public and I'm sure you'll hear 'farang gin farang' 55555

Bok Cee Da. Something of little use that nobody wants. Now if you hear them calling you that, then you know they are being disrespectful

If im in a taxi and the driver is saying on the phone he has a farang in the car- no not bothered

If i'm in a store and the assistand talks to another assistant and says 'the farang needs help' - no not bothered

when i go to a company and say " Hello my name is Mr. kjkjjiik I have an appointment with Khun Somchai" and the receptionist then phones that person and says a farang is here to see you - yes pisses me off totally

When Thais who know my name and still refer to me as Farang - yes pisses me off.

Have you ever heard a Thai name and thought, "No way am I ever going to get my tongue around that and pronounce it properly". A Thai will experience the same thing with Farang names. Just because a farang name is very easy for us to pronounce, don't assume it is as easy for them to pronounce.

• Like 1

Of course not.

Most people that object, speak very little Thai and have no idea in what context it's being used most of the time.

au contrair mon amis,,,,, it is us that do understando the locall lingo and the slango and context that get offended. I liked it much better 10 years ago when I thought the motorbike taxi drivers we smiling calling me farang this or that as I walked by - assuming they were just being nice. Today....