Does Being Called Farang Bother You?

MonkeyMagic3

Do you mind being called farang?  

330 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In my opinion its the same as using the Ni**er word years ago, and is mostly used for the same reason, to denote a person of color and race and Yes I get very offended depending on situation just the same as African Americans did over the N word.

Having said that in the UK, Indians were often referred to as "Paki's" and Chinese as "Chinks", Germans as "Krouts" so I guess it happens everywhere. (No offence intended)

Edited by CharlieH

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it doesn't. And having names for people based on their skin colour and broad ethnicity isn't really frowned on anyway. Indians, Asians, Whites, Blacks etc are all perfectly legitimate ways to describe someone.

If someone's warbling on about farang kee ngeeow because I won't buy them a bottle of whiskey then I just tend to think they're an ignorant plonker, and I'm usually right. If they shout out "hello farang" I tend to assume they live in a small village and don't see foreigners much. I'm usually right.

The two older children of my sister-in-law are called Kluai (banna) and Chompoo (rose apple) by their nicknames. The youngest's nickname is Falang. People thought it was confusing... I think the parent's effort to go with the fruit theme didn't fully work on this instance. whistling.gif

No it doesn't. And having names for people based on their skin colour and broad ethnicity isn't really frowned on anyway. Indians, Asians, Whites, Blacks etc are all perfectly legitimate ways to describe someone.

If someone's warbling on about farang kee ngeeow because I won't buy them a bottle of whiskey then I just tend to think they're an ignorant plonker, and I'm usually right. If they shout out "hello farang" I tend to assume they live in a small village and don't see foreigners much. I'm usually right.

well go to robinsons sukhumvit / soi19 , walk out in front of McD's to the street and wait for the upcountry tuk tuk drivers to yell at you Hey Farang. Only a guess, but I assume they see more than 1 or 2 foreigners a day pass by?

They use it in a way that if it were them being talked about with a word that means all asians, they would be extremely offended.

You might be surprised to learn that there is such a word Thai people use to refer to all Asians: i.e. คนเอเชีย But I don't think it is offensive to them.

erm, thats not a word, its two words; asian people. People of the continent Asia. And most Thais do not refer to Asians with that term, Jin, Yippoon, Gaoree, etc. are much more common.

They use it in a way that if it were them being talked about with a word that means all asians, they would be extremely offended.

You might be surprised to learn that there is such a word Thai people use to refer to all Asians: i.e. คนเอเชีย But I don't think it is offensive to them.

erm, thats not a word, its two words; asian people. People of the continent Asia. And most Thais do not refer to Asians with that term, Jin, Yippoon, Gaoree, etc. are much more common.

Exactly, like many people commonly specify the nationality: e.g. Khon Angrit, Yeman...

Edited by Morakot

Exactly, like many people commonly specify the nationality: e.g. Khon Angrit, Yeman...

No, rarely done with English etc. Thats where the word "farang" comes in. Other asians usually get the respect of the country they are from being identified, whereas farang are all the same.

I have even come across Thais who think there is a "farang" languagetongue.png

I don't like it, people that I don't know should be ok.

in my country all the Asia countries are chinesse, we say "chinos" and I know that is very offensive for Japanesse people, the same with "Sudaca" for hispanoamericans, "gringos" for westerners, nigga, farang etc.

"farang" is closer to "gringo" so all the time sound strange for me since I am not a gringo for sure.

When people that know my thai name or my real name call me farang or speak about me as farang I joke asking if they are from cambodia or myanmar, and caliing them hey cambodian or dam_n (black) or something more irritating, in some point they catch the idea and never call me farang again.

personally I hate racist, classicist, etc. I like to be considered as one more, nothing special for good or bad

well go to robinsons sukhumvit / soi19 , walk out in front of McD's to the street and wait for the upcountry tuk tuk drivers to yell at you Hey Farang. Only a guess, but I assume they see more than 1 or 2 foreigners a day pass by?

I'll give it a try next time I'm down that way, but I don't normally encounter it in Bangkok. Hey yoooooo, where you go.

Maybe I just look like I live here now, as I do remember getting more of that a few years ago.

I know Khun is the same as Mr, my point was that at the two places mentioned they had my name on documents in front of them and when they were calling the Thai people they used their name but when they called me they said Khun Farang and not Khun Mark. That is slightly rude don't you think?

No.

• Like 1

Well, I asked more than 4 hours ago what would be the correct Thai word to call a foreigner from who you don't know the name nor his nationality.

But untill now nobody has given me the answer, while there have been many at the same time who have said that farang is bad,very bad.

Do you actually know what you're talking about?

• Like 1

Well, I asked more than 4 hours ago what would be the correct Thai word to call a foreigner from who you don't know the name nor his nationality.

But untill now nobody has given me the answer, while there have been many at the same time who have said that farang is bad,very bad.

Do you actually know what you're talking about?

Khon tang chart is often used for people from other countries so surely this could also be used for white skinned foreigners? It doesn't really bother me on a daily basis but, like the OP, there have been occasions when it has annoyed me. Explaining the origin behind it isn't a reason for it, the n word used to describe black people many years ago comes from the Spanish word for black and didn't start out as a derogatory name. I imagine those of you that are saying there is absolutely nothing wrong with it were also the same folk who saw nothing wrong with the Thai students marching in nazi uniform?

I did get annoyed when my daughter dropped in at a nursery we were thinking of starting her at and, even though the teacher knew her name, she said to the other kids 'say hello to farang noi'. And I have also been addressed as farang by people who knew my name, didn't lose any sleep over it but didn't think it was too polite either. I accept it as part of living in Thailand, something a black friend from America couldn't do and so left as he hated being called farang dum. But if I'm being honest I'd rather all caucasians weren't all called farang and I think saying 'It's Thailand, it's their rules, customs, culture, way of life' etc etc is a poor excuse for saying it is ok.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

I am one of the minority that dislike being called 'farang'.

Back in the UK, it would not have crossed my mind (or any of my friends) to refer to someone as 'that foreigner/black/Asian' etc. etc. as it is rude.

Having said this, I've never been called farang to my face - those that don't know my name have always said Madam, but I dislike hearing it quietly in the background when they're obviously referring to me.

I love guava. It's refreshingly tasty.

What has this to do with the OP's topic!!!!!

Thais call Guava farang, sit and eat one in the public and I'm sure you'll hear 'farang gin farang' 55555

indeed, if you are at nana or surrounded by peasants. It seems that any time i hear that delightful old chestnut the wit responsible is either drunk, retarded, toothless, sporting a visible g-string or back tattoo or any or all of these at once.

Edited by tinfoilhat

Back in the UK, it would not have crossed my mind (or any of my friends) to refer to someone as 'that foreigner/black/Asian' etc. etc. as it is rude.

Having said this, I've never been called farang to my face - those that don't know my name have always said Madam, but I dislike hearing it quietly in the background when they're obviously referring to me.

Think your wrong. Never heard a Thai say Madam, they don't know the word. sad.png

Perhaps it was a similar Thai word huh.png .................................smile.png

Think your wrong. Never heard a Thai say Madam, they don't know the word. sad.png

Perhaps it was a similar Thai word huh.png .................................smile.png

No - I'm frequently called Madam, especially in shops. But I live in Phuket where (presumably) they are told to call Western women Madam.

Edit - Sorry, I've just read jbrains' post and he's right - I should have said Madamme! (embarrassed emoticon)

Edited by F1fanatic

I think F1 meant Madamme.I agree I have never heard the English pronouncing of the word, but for some reason they know the French version.
  • Like 1