Three Russian Tourists Attacked In Bangkok

sriracha john

Russian Tourists Attacked in Thailand

MosNews

Three Russian tourists have been subjected to a knife attack in Bangkok, Thailand.

Unidentified persons armed with knives attacked three citizens of St. Petersburg Wednesday night on the famous Khaosan Road in a tourist zone, stabbing them. Two women have been taken to hospital. They are currently in a grave condition.

The Russian Foreign Ministry has sent a note to Thailand’s Foreign Ministry with a request to hold a “thorough investigation of this incident,” Interfax news agency quoted the ministry’s information department as saying.

The incident follows other highly publicised attacks on foreigners in the country. Earlier this month two Thai fishermen were convicted of raping and murdering British student Katherine Horton over the New Year holidays.

this is sad news indeed.

as long as foriegners are seen as cash cows , as rich aliens whose sole purpose is to be fleeced by the authorities , looked down on by the government , extorted from by the police and customs departments , and often reviled and mocked in the thai press and on tv , frequently disparaged by thaksin , then we will be seen as easy meat and legitimate targets by opportunist thieves and criminals , who can act knowing that the chances of arrest are slim , especially in large cities like bangkok and pattaya.

the behaviour of a lot of foriegners here reinforces the message to locals that we are all cut from the same cloth and just a bunch of disrespectful yobs and as such , legitimate targets for crime.

Theres more to this story me thinks :o

Yep have to agree with this.

As they say no smoke without fire. It is very rare for a stabbing like this to happen for no reason, there is generally an underlying motive for an attack like this.

People dont just walk up to other people and stab them without a reason, yes that may be robbery but it doesnt say anything about that, so i am inclined to believe that maybe the girls were "working" on someone elses patch, probably didnt take the warning and this is the result.

Sad story, yet more bad news for Thailands image, why doesnt the TAT trying publishing some positive stories to try and counter act all these other stories that are coming out

maybe deserves a quick poll.........

"where do you feel safer at night"

Bangkok

Washington

New York

Milan

:o

1. Bangkok

2. Milano

3. Washington (Tyne and Wear, UK).

Never been to the US so I can't honestly rate New York, suspect it would be No4 though.

Edited by Crossy

Why all these members like to compare Thailand to all the viscious ultra violent countries like US or England, are all the members from these areas?? I doubt even in the viscious US or UK will have more killing, raping, assults on tourists than Thailand.

Why don't we look at the top 20 tourist destinations according to www.world-tourism.org/

In the top 20 tourism countries, I have no doubt Thailand has most killing, raping (or combination of both), violent assults of tourists, much more than-(the top 20 order)-- France, Spain, US, China, Italy, UK, Hong Kong, Mexioco, Germany, Austria, Canada, Turkey, Malaysia, Ukrain, Poland, Greece, Hungary, (Thailand), Portugal, Netherlands.

Above is the order of top 20 world tourism countries by total international arrivals from statistics of World Tourism Organization(www.world-tourism.org/). Which country do you think has more killing, raping, stabbing, assults on tourists than Thailand??

Theres more to this story me thinks :o

:D:D Russian Bar girls no one gets stabbed for fun

If they are bar girls (the russians) then its almost definately a turf dispute gone bad, but that aside, quite why falangs want to fck russian prostitutes at vastly exaggerated prices is beyond me! Perhaps they were prowling for some arab punters who are reputed to desire the blondness of the russian chicks????

Sad story, yet more bad news for Thailands image, why doesnt the TAT trying publishing some positive stories to try and counter act all these other stories that are coming out

Proposed TAT article:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand, facing tourists mounting concerns over their safety while touring Thailand, attempted to put things in a positive light by making an announcement today that unlike the Samui case, the Russian tourists were neither raped nor murdered, merely stabbed.

Kao Sarn is a very unlikely place to meet Russian bar girls. Their age is not mentioned, too. Why presume that they are not regular tourists?

Good point. The information in the report isn't very revealing. It doesn't even mention any descriptions of the attackers. They could have been fellow Russians for all we know.

Proposed TAT article:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand, facing tourists mounting concerns over their safety while touring Thailand, attempted to put things in a positive light by making an announcement today that unlike the Samui case, the Russian tourists were neither raped nor murdered, merely stabbed.

That's ok then, nothing to worry about is there.

Proposed TAT article:

That's ok then, nothing to worry about is there.

:o Thanks for that the SJ. Your right Sierra that will stop everyone from worrying :D

Kao Sarn is a very unlikely place to meet Russian bar girls. Their age is not mentioned, too. Why presume that they are not regular tourists?

Good point. The information in the report isn't very revealing. It doesn't even mention any descriptions of the attackers. They could have been fellow Russians for all we know.

Here is a link to Lonely Planet's Thailand discussion forum: The Thorn Tree. This particular thread details a few other nasty incidents, which were apparently not reported at the time.

Also, some very honest perceptions about Thailand and crimes perpetrated here.

http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/messagep...rentid=0&from=1

There is a definite dearth available on the follow-up news to this story via Google/Yahoo English- language news. I was hoping thorntree might provide some as it's the site of choice for khao san road, but alas... no luck.

Any Russian TV members to assist with the Russian-language news sources for any further details of this story?

Edited by sriracha john

Russian community and myself thinks that girls did something insulting(maybe they even didnt want it). Just some lil misunderstanding. Its easy to tell someone ###### U in russia, nobody really care for it. So i guess that girls just did something not friendly(i think accidentally) and instantly got a pay check:).

Crime

Sexual assault, food and drink spiking, assault and robbery against foreigners occurs in Thailand, particularly around popular backpacker destinations such as Khao San Road in Bangkok and the night-time entertainment zones of Bangkok and Pattaya, including the monthly Full Moon Parties at Koh Phangan.

Petty crime is common. Money and passports have been stolen from rooms (particularly in cheaper hotels and hostels) and from bags on public transport (including on overnight bus services, particularly between Bangkok and Surat Thani). Tourists have also been robbed after their bags were sliced open by razor blades in tourist areas.

In Thailand some travellers have become the victims of scams after they have accepted offers from people recommending or offering various goods or services, particularly with shopping for jewellery and gems. The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) can provide official advice on purchasing jewellery and gems.

Travellers have also lost large sums of money through bogus investment schemes and card game scams in Thailand.

Russian community and myself thinks that girls did something insulting(maybe they even didnt want it). Just some lil misunderstanding. Its easy to tell someone ###### U in russia, nobody really care for it. So i guess that girls just did something not friendly(i think accidentally) and instantly got a pay check:).

Hmm...I can appreciate your "take" on the event, but please instead of "guessing", could you please reference any Russian-language news sources for any additional factual information.

Thank you.

Crime (<-Click)

Sexual assault, food and drink spiking, …

FlyingDutchman, if you copied that text from somewhere – as I assume you did – would you please be so kind as to indicate the source? Thank you!

---------------

Maestro

:o I mostly put (<-Click) before I quote, so the source is known. Else I put the source mostly there ... satisfied ? Else I will hear from you again :D .

Edited by FlyingDutchman

Nothing about it on Pravda's website or English language forums. There is a Russian language newspaper based in Pattaya... http://members.tripod.com/~bs_news/ but using the online translator http://translation.imtranslator.net/translation.asp it says nothing useful really.

I appreciate your efforts, skylar.

I wasn't able to open up that newspaper's website. If you can, you might try

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

for a good online translator Russian to English.

Thank you.

Crime

Sexual assault, food and drink spiking, assault and robbery against foreigners occurs in Thailand, particularly around popular backpacker destinations such as Khao San Road in Bangkok and the night-time entertainment zones of Bangkok and Pattaya, including the monthly Full Moon Parties at Koh Phangan.

Petty crime is common. Money and passports have been stolen from rooms (particularly in cheaper hotels and hostels) and from bags on public transport (including on overnight bus services, particularly between Bangkok and Surat Thani). Tourists have also been robbed after their bags were sliced open by razor blades in tourist areas.

In Thailand some travellers have become the victims of scams after they have accepted offers from people recommending or offering various goods or services, particularly with shopping for jewellery and gems. The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) can provide official advice on purchasing jewellery and gems.

Travellers have also lost large sums of money through bogus investment schemes and card game scams in Thailand.

CRIME

In every inch of this overpopulated planet lie thieves, drug addicts, and crooked people.

If you dare walk outside your home, you are running the risk to being exposed to the potential of a scam, assualt, rape, dispute, and even murder.

Source : common sense

not to mock you dutchman...just had to jump at the chance to flame such reference...Sounds like such a warning/factfile would be best fit for the guidebook "Bagpacking for dummies"

Which country do such crimes not happen to tourists/foriengers etc.?

CRIME

In every inch of this overpopulated planet lie thieves, drug addicts, and crooked people.

If you dare walk outside your home, you are running the risk to being exposed to the potential of a scam, assualt, rape, dispute, and even murder.

Source : common sense

not to mock you dutchman...just had to jump at the chance to flame such reference...Sounds like such a warning/factfile would be best fit for the guidebook "Bagpacking for dummies"

Which country do such crimes not happen to tourists/foriengers etc.?

I am not offended, Green.

You are right; I also posted some terrorist quotes overhere (other topic). That doesn't mean I agree with the lot and maybe I am even cynical. I always say : "People will get robbed, murdered, raped and 'else', as long mankind walks the planet" ... :o

Lol, there are nothing special in any of russian edtion. Or u think there are something for russian eyes only? Something like "Two drunk russian hookers busted by turist police". Of course no, No any of juicy nuggets u might think about. People just not really care about it. I saw a post about this news only once. And nothing more, there are just no "IN DEPTH" crap. Just a regular story. U need to buy a satellite and tune it on Russian TV, ull be surprised:)

http://www.globalrus.ru/news/780151/

As i thought before these girls prolly just insulted someone. This site thinks girls are the reason of all this. And also they ask all thai tourists to be more patient and respectfull with traditions of other countrys.

http://babr.ru/index.php?pt=news&event=v1&IDE=27357

This site reports that russian MFA sent a note to thai MFA(sounds made up)

Lol, there are nothing special in any of russian edtion. Or u think there are something for russian eyes only? Something like "Two drunk russian hookers busted by turist police". Of course no, No any of juicy nuggets u might think about. People just not really care about it. I saw a post about this news only once. And nothing more, there are just no "IN DEPTH" crap. Just a regular story. U need to buy a satellite and tune it on Russian TV, ull be surprised:)

http://www.globalrus.ru/news/780151/

As i thought before these girls prolly just insulted someone. This site thinks girls are the reason of all this. And also they ask all thai tourists to be more patient and respectfull with traditions of other countrys.

I only find thìs on 'Pravda' :

Muslim rebels kill two soldiers, two civilians in Thailand

13:16 2006-01-30

Suspected Muslim separatist rebels fatally shot two soldiers, a teacher and a government bureaucrat in the latest violence in Thailand's restive south, officials said Monday. About 10 suspected rebels opened fire Sunday on soldiers guarding a railway station in Narathiwat province's Ruesor district, killing two soldiers, said Police Maj. Gen. Yongyuth Charoenwanich.

A few hours later, suspected rebels shot dead 38-year-old schoolteacher Hama Daeyideen as he returned from work in nearby Pattani province's Yarang district, Police Maj. Gen. Kokiart Wongworachat.

Also in Yarang, two gunmen stormed the house of bureaucrat Somsak Musamee, 41, and shot him to death, Kokiart said.

More than 1,200 people have been killed in the past two years in attacks the government has blamed on a shadowy group that wants to create an independent Islamic state in southern Thailand, a predominantly Muslim area where many have long complained of discrimination in the Buddhist-majority country.

Since the beginning of 2006, 38 people have been killed in Thailand's three southernmost provinces of Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat, reports the AP.

I.L.

:o ... thats all ...

http://www.gazeta.ru/2006/01/26/oa_186239.shtml

This site thinks that Thai is still a safe place, but ofcourse tourists have to be careful as anywhere else

http://lenta.ru/news/2006/01/26/tourists1/

This site reports that girls had a surgery and everything went well.

http://www.regnum.ru/news/579891.html

this site reports that girls've been ripped off on KhaoSan

This is all posts about this accident in Russian internet