Like It Or Not, Corruption Is The Name Of The Game In Thailand

webfact

A morally bankrupt country!

And that's why many of us came in the first place. I have been here 25 years and corruption has grown 1000 ugly heads since then. The only reason I'm still here is my daughter. And I'm out of the country on business more than half the year. People say it's the same all over Asia. I work all over Asia and I just don't see it like it is here.
  • Like 1

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why we should make such a big deal of this. Corruption is what drives US conservative politics, drags the rest of the world into horrific conflicts, and rapes the 3rd World of it's resources. Relatively speaking, Thai corruption is for the most part localised. US corruption global.

Uh?

If as the poll indicates, 66% of the Thai's, accept corruption, if they receive some benifit, then say it like it is. Corruption is basically "theft" , if the majority of the population of a country condone theft, 'if they benifit', then some may deduce the 66% are thieves, awaiting the right setting.

I am not saying this is the case, as polls in thailand seem to be as corrupt as the rest of the countries system. I do think it indicates why the so called minor scams, are allowed to exist by the authorities. They know that the small thieves are not so inclined to want change in the overall system that is up and running.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to add to this survey to see if the ethnic Chinese accept it more than the ethnic Thais.

Of course such a question would NEVER be allowed as it would promote disruption to society.

Most western countries do keep stats based on race for things like crime etc, even political views as in the USA.

... It is a society of 13 year old boys, in men's bodies, who behave like 13 year old boys, and have the emotional development of 13 year old boys. I am sure there are some exceptions. Maybe 11% of the society? LOL.

While you are largely correct on this, I think perhaps the age is too high and the sex is wrong.

• Like 1

Is it really corruption if it is accepted and common? Corruption is like rules and laws in that the majority only have problems with either if they hurt or hinder them but tend to enjoy them when they benefit them.

Clever way to put it Nisa! thumbsup.gif

Last night Soi 80 in Hua Hin sat at the front of a bar BIB pulls up on motorbike 3 bars away obviously wondered what was going on he goes in 30 secs later back out and into bar next to us 30secs later out and into bar where we where goes to bar collects 300bht then into next bar same thing 4 bars 2/3 mins and collects 1200bht then his radio goes so onto bike and away when I asked one of the bar girls she said Oh it every thursday he will be back to the others shortly, half hr later sure enough starts where he left off.

When you see it happening it hits home what the state of things are.

Did you bother to find out what he was collecting the money for and to what advantage it was for the bars in question?

My wife has owned two bars here in Thailand, the last was open for almost 13 years. Never once did the police cross the threshold demanding money. If the bar owners are paying, it is for a reason to their advantage.

Without looking at this through rose-tinted glasses, or supporting corruption, I am not surprised with the majority of replies to the OP in this thread. Most people seem to see corruption as a 2,000 baht fine for dropping cigarette buts or littering, a 200-500 baht fine (without receipt) for speeding/dangerous driving/drunk driving and observations of police visits where they are seen (or assumed) to be receiving money.

All the above examples are to the advantage of the individual, and mostly the ones who complain about the system are the ones who will gladly pay because they have been in the wrong, but will never admit that fact.

Have a look at the other countries in SEA. I am not providing links or sources for this as I have personally witnessed corruption in most of these countries on the same or larger scale as Thailand. If you need clarification, google is your friend, I am only making a personal observation. Africa is a different and much fiercer animal altogether with regards to corruption. But in all these countries, corruption is relatively transparrent, as it is accepted as a way of life.

I am convinced that for a country not to be classed as 3rd world, one of the stipulations is that the governments successfully hide the corruption from the masses. For anyone reading this and thinking corruption would never happen in my country of origin, wake up! There is more going on behind closed doors for much bigger stakes in the West than we could possible imagine.

Remember, no successful government anywhere in the world could possibly survive without corruption.

Not just Thailand, global subject..........thumbsup.gif

Edit: Corrected typo

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 1

And the scary part, is that on so many levels, it feels as if Thailand is going backwards. I wish I could say the future looked bright for this lovely country, but I simply cannot see it. Here are just a few of the reasons I feel this way:

1. Declining educational standards, especially when compared to other countries in the region, who take education seriously.

2. Lack of a fight against corruption. Malaysia, Indonesia, China, Vietnam, and even to a smaller extent India, and the Philippines are at least waging a....

Good post.

Shame about the rest of thread; condoning military coups, Brit and US bashing and the rest of the nonsense.

They claimed that every government is corrupt and politically intervene in public administration. (MCOT online news)

This gets trotted out every time corruption in Thailand is mentioned.

I don't believe the attitude exhibited in Thailand would last 5 minutes in the developed world.

Rule of law perhaps. Accountability. Being made to justify decisions, apparent nepotism, etc, etc.

Yes, there will be corruption anywhere you can get away with it. It's frightening the Thais have this attitude condoning it.

How many countries speak Thai? How many countries have such a blatantly corrupt society? Presumably those that want to remain insular and forever live in the past.

Seems the PTP have landed on their feet, and as has been said, the electorate are quite happy to be played for suckers.

Is there a government more corrupt than that. of the US? Actually, the US no longer has a government of the people. Bankers and Plutocratic financiers run the show. The people of the US hardly know a thing since all the mainstream media are are run by the self-same criminals. The US soon will be a fully-fledged police state.

Very similar in most of the "developed" world. Countries are now a business run by the same corrupt bankers and businessmen who cause financial crises, fiddle libor, pay themselves fantastic salaries and wonderous bonuses etc. These guys are morally corrupt and in most cases seem untouchable. The notion of democracy perpetuated by "free elections" is just that, a notion.

Most of my American friends hate the way their freedoms are being restricted. The UK is well on the way to becoming a police state too - whichever party is in power, and already has less freedom than America.

There are many countries where corruption is worse than Thailand. Here. people seem to accept that it's sadly a part of human nature and therefore don't fight it, but go with the flow. I can't see China or any of the BRICS coming up with a new model that eliminates corruption.

Thialand needs to compete with other ASEAN countries - elininating red tape, becoming linguistically better and much less xenophobic would be good starts. But to think that corruption doesn't exist in the other ASEAN countries is naive.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 2

Thailand is the master of the universe when it comes to the sex trade. The sex trade sets the bar for social thought and behavior. As long as society tolerates rampant pervasive participation in the sex trade by all levels of society whether declared professional or free lancer, then it's open season on a corrupted philosophy with limited values. The sex trade was really the first "international" scale enterprise of Thailand. Where foreigners would actually plan to travel here for sex. Long before that, Thailand specialized in sex trade for its domestic customers which geometrically dwarfs foreign sex trade today. Secondly, Thailand's history of cash real estate investment, sex trade and other black economy money sourced through the drug trade hub in Bangkok clearly links links the "corruption" factor.

The Thai "culture" of corruption and its escalation are its prescription for becoming an official "failed state" with endless refills. No other country takes Thailand seriously as a "legitimate" business partner and camps in here because they can freely play the corruption, payoff, bribery scheme with cheap labor and limited benefits or negative ramifications and bought off politicians and government organizations. Because everything can be bought out for a lower cost than the cost of making it right. Thailand's "Mr. 20%s" start out right away slicing in to a new business venture's margins right after a BOI intro or even before. Then comes the squeezing of profits at the expense of safety, benefits, and fair play with employees.

As this philosophy of corruption continues to eat away at government, police and military organizations, they become less and less able or willing to enforce law. The less that they enforce law, the more complacent about it all the regular folks get. The state then escalates to a Fascist type regime, and shortly thereafter becomes an "official" failed state. Thailand already meets many of the prerequisites for defining a failed state.

147 reading this topic and no one addresses 'noitom's' excellent post (thanks for this wai.gif )

Also interesting to note that a 'popular' post was one basically saying there was nothing wrong with corruption here. Seems the much derided Thais aren't the only ones in denial.

As much as I've experienced and unhappy with the corruption problem in Thailand, it becomes a normal way of life when more than 2/3 of people don't take it as a problem. Pathetic, though.

And the scary part, is that on so many levels, it feels as if Thailand is going backwards. I wish I could say the future looked bright for this lovely country, but I simply cannot see it. Here are just a few of the reasons I feel this way:

1. Declining educational standards, especially when compared to other countries in the region, who take education seriously.

2. Lack of a fight against corruption. Malaysia, Indonesia, China, Vietnam, and even to a smaller extent India, and the Philippines are at least waging a battle. Here, the anti corruption chief was just relieved of his job, as he was too effective, and was getting to close to the centers of power!

3. The competence of the government. Since the system here is entirely based on cronyism, and not meritocracy, there is little chance of getting people to do jobs they are good at. It is that simple. Incompetence is the order of the day. Always has been. Always will be, if the system does not change.

4. Flooding issues. They are only going to get worse with global warming, and the rising of the sea, and is Thailand prepared for it? They have refused help from the Dutch govt. (very talented and skilled engineers, with decades of experience), the US Corp. of Engineers, and others. Is the govt. really serious about tackling this issue? Do they have what it takes? Are they willing to reach out, or will they use only homegrown talent, which is substandard?

5. Shrinking economy. Thailand was #21 in the world just 5 years ago. They are now #25. This trend will continue. There is little being done to reverse it.

6. Traffic issues. Thailand has some of the most lax driving laws in the world. No helmets required in Samui, and 10 year old kids are permitted to drive motorbikes. Speed limits are rarely enforced, and anyone with some cash can buy their way out of any traffic related problem or accident, even if it caused death. Samui averages 60 traffic related deaths per month! Highest in the world, per capita. Not something you see in the media much. Nobody wants to discuss it.

7. That brings us to issue #7. Law enforcement. The police in Thailand are basically a revenue collection agency. Very, very little law enforcement. The quality of the detective work, and the forensic work is on par with Sub Saharan Africa, from what I have been told by well informed sources in law enforcement, outside of Thailand. For the #25 economy in the world, this is shameful, and the result of tremendous sloth, indifference, corruption, and ineptitude. Regardless, it remains one of the truly great blights, in this otherwise delightful country.

8. Local mores, ethics, and attitudes. Though the Thai people have many wonderful qualities, that many of us appreciate, their attitudes toward business, and tourism are hard to fathom. They nearly always, will choose to do the wrong thing, when it comes to customer service, or maintaining a relationship, if it means a few extra baht today. No ability to see the forest beyond the trees. Very, very little of the vision thing. It is a tremendous detriment to doing business here, and in the long run damages the tourism industry to a fabulous extent.

9. Tourism. For the above stated reasons, there is a real PR problem, when it comes to Thai tourism. The governments, both central, and local seem to be either unwilling, or unable to tackle the issues with taxis, tuk-tuks, jet skis, and other scams here, and it is resulting in huge damage to the industry. They are making up for it to some extent by attracting the Russian, Chinese, and Korean markets, but these are not the high rollers that Thailand need to thrive in the long run.

10. Saving face. Perhaps Thailand's single most destructive quality. It forces people to bury problems under the carpet. How can you resolve an issue, if it causes you embarrassment? Who cares. Suck it up, man up, and deal with it. Not here. Not now. Rarely ever. Avoid the issue, whatever you do, do not discuss it, and pretend it will go away. It is a society of 13 year old boys, in men's bodies, who behave like 13 year old boys, and have the emotional development of 13 year old boys. I am sure there are some exceptions. Maybe 11% of the society? LOL.

You make some very good points in an interesting post. From my own experience, I've found the Philipinnes and India far more corrupt than Thailand, The "fights against corruption" usually mean arresting political oponents. Malaysia was better than Thailand. China was hard to judge, because it's kept more away from you there. These were my experiences.

Thailand has to address education, linguistics, business xenophobia etc if it wants to compete. An impartial judiical system based on constitutional laws enforced by a professional, modern and unbiased poilce force would be great. But, does any country in the world really have this?

Thailand is the master of the universe when it comes to the sex trade. The sex trade sets the bar for social thought and behavior. As long as society tolerates rampant pervasive participation in the sex trade by all levels of society whether declared professional or free lancer, then it's open season on a corrupted philosophy with limited values. The sex trade was really the first "international" scale enterprise of Thailand. Where foreigners would actually plan to travel here for sex. Long before that, Thailand specialized in sex trade for its domestic customers which geometrically dwarfs foreign sex trade today. Secondly, Thailand's history of cash real estate investment, sex trade and other black economy money sourced through the drug trade hub in Bangkok clearly links links the "corruption" factor.

The Thai "culture" of corruption and its escalation are its prescription for becoming an official "failed state" with endless refills. No other country takes Thailand seriously as a "legitimate" business partner and camps in here because they can freely play the corruption, payoff, bribery scheme with cheap labor and limited benefits or negative ramifications and bought off politicians and government organizations. Because everything can be bought out for a lower cost than the cost of making it right. Thailand's "Mr. 20%s" start out right away slicing in to a new business venture's margins right after a BOI intro or even before. Then comes the squeezing of profits at the expense of safety, benefits, and fair play with employees.

As this philosophy of corruption continues to eat away at government, police and military organizations, they become less and less able or willing to enforce law. The less that they enforce law, the more complacent about it all the regular folks get. The state then escalates to a Fascist type regime, and shortly thereafter becomes an "official" failed state. Thailand already meets many of the prerequisites for defining a failed state.

147 reading this topic and no one addresses 'noitom's' excellent post (thanks for this wai.gif )

Also interesting to note that a 'popular' post was one basically saying there was nothing wrong with corruption here. Seems the much derided Thais aren't the only ones in denial.

We always get one that has to blame it on the sex trade - lets perpetuate the narrow minded world view that Thailand is the world's sex trade venue.

Of course all the other countires in the world a bastions of moral and ethical behaviour with no sex trade, corruption and highly professional police, civil servants and jusiciary. thumbsup.gif Wonderful fiction.

I don't know why we should make such a big deal of this. Corruption is what drives US conservative politics, drags the rest of the world into horrific conflicts, and rapes the 3rd World of it's resources. Relatively speaking, Thai corruption is for the most part localised. US corruption global.

I'm sure that is of great comfort when the family of a murdered person sees the killer getting away with it, or to a community slowly poisoned because some industrialist keeps the right hands greased, or government official skims 30% of a budget and people have to live on with substandard and even dangerous infrastructure, etc, etc...

They do it in the US, so it's all right, no need to make a fuss.

Money flows uphill here so the best people for the job rarely find themselves in the job they deserve. You have to look no farther than the PM.

The net result of that process is that ministries and policies are geared for skimming rather than benefitting either the people or the country.

If that's what the Thai people want, then I hope they will be happy lodged in one generation of progress behind much of the world. If they aspire to be better than Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam then they will need to up their game to stay in the race. If they hope to compete with Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia in Asean then a major overhaul is needed.

As it is said, in a Democracy the people get the government they deserve, not the government they need.

Are you suggesting thailand needs a coup?

Thailand needs a crap.

Reducing the "hassle factor" when paying fines would go a long way to reducing bribery. I mean, when caught speeding, would you rather traipse all the way down to the police station, fill out endless forms, waste at least a couple of hours of your life, and then pay a 250 baht fine, or pay 500 baht cash direct to the police officer? I know which one I would rather do.

If I just got a ticket and had to pay it at the post office/bank/7 Eleven or via online within the next 7 days I would go the legit way.

You agree with the poll if it benefits you it is OK.

I'm sure that is of great comfort when the family of a murdered person sees the killer getting away with it, or to a community slowly poisoned because some industrialist keeps the right hands greased, or government official skims 30% of a budget and people have to live on with substandard and even dangerous infrastructure, etc, etc...

It does seem that the usual TVF 'wandering' is coming into play.

Comparisons with the US, the UK, China, Malaysia, the man on the moon don't actually address the topic.

The issue is that the man on the street (if the survey source can be accepted as such), is quite happy to see blatant corruption. The one's who can, see it as a means of achieving personal benefit. The rest of Thailand pays for it (literally).

The rest of the world is corrupt? Maybe. How many people believe it is acceptable?

You are quite rite the Thai Visa wandering is happening here. The how would you feel if"""""""" was answered with the people who voted it was wrong. The minority say it is wrong with out attaching strings.

In real life it does affect a minority of the people and they do not feel good about it.

Besides as you said the man in the moon approves.

It does seem that the usual TVF 'wandering' is coming into play.

Comparisons with the US, the UK, China, Malaysia, the man on the moon don't actually address the topic.

The issue is that the man on the street (if the survey source can be accepted as such), is quite happy to see blatant corruption. The one's who can, see it as a means of achieving personal benefit. The rest of Thailand pays for it (literally).

The rest of the world is corrupt? Maybe. How many people believe it is acceptable?

How many people in the rest of the world are aware of corruption happening in their own country and at what level is it happening?

A poll and a result Thailand should not want. But it is endemic, growing (obviously) as there are no enforcement personnel who can (or will do), anything about it. Som Num Na. Looking back over Thai history Thai's do not deserve half of what they have. If they took out the corruption issue they would be financially far stronger than Japan but they are simply happy to stay with the 'system' and no question. The word "buffaloes" comes to mind since that is how they refer to the stupid. Seems that covers at least 65% of the population according to the poll.

The problem is complain here and you can end up dead...............its really all run on fear, and that stems form the number one job and Im not talking P.M

From the poor to the rich corruption is rampant in Thailand...it's an accepted way of life. Thai's realize corruption is morally evil but they accept it as a necessary evil in Thailand....necessary from the standpoint of so people do it that others feel they must also. Sad state of mind....it could take generations to substantially change for the better.

+1

I agree Pib, I don't think the that averageThais are thrilled with corruption but its the system here.

And being an honest cop or official would be no pic nic either. Most likely your colleaguse would despise and not trust you, the wife would be complainaing about no money "Officer Somchai's wife has a new car; why can't I have one?"

Any way, it is what it is and i don't see it changing any time soon.

Might want to take some lessons from the the British MPs and all the Banks involved in the Libor scandal. Time some TV Members got off their holier than thou hobby horse and looked at what else is going on in the way of BIG corruption in the rest of the World, from so called developed Countries!whistling.gif

• Like 2

Money flows uphill here so the best people for the job rarely find themselves in the job they deserve. You have to look no farther than the PM.

The net result of that process is that ministries and policies are geared for skimming rather than benefitting either the people or the country.

If that's what the Thai people want, then I hope they will be happy lodged in one generation of progress behind much of the world. If they aspire to be better than Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam then they will need to up their game to stay in the race. If they hope to compete with Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia in Asean then a major overhaul is needed.

That is not what the Thai people want.

The poll was a idiotic one. They asked them if it benefited them.

Go back and ask the same people if it takes money out of their pocket.

Guaranteed you will see a different result. Idiots the lot of them.

Thailand becoming the hub of idiotic poll's

On reading the posts I am starting to wonder about the people who are buying into this poll.

As much as I've experienced and unhappy with the corruption problem in Thailand, it becomes a normal way of life when more than 2/3 of people don't take it as a problem. Pathetic, though.

2. Lack of a fight against corruption. Malaysia, Indonesia, China, Vietnam, and even to a smaller extent India, and the Philippines are at least waging a battle. Here, the anti corruption chief was just relieved of his job, as he was too effective, and was getting to close to the centers of power!

3. The competence of the government. Since the system here is entirely based on cronyism, and not meritocracy, there is little chance of getting people to do jobs they are good at. It is that simple. Incompetence is the order of the day. Always has been. Always will be, if the system does not change.

4. Flooding issues. They are only going to get worse with global warming, and the rising of the sea, and is Thailand prepared for it? They have refused help from the Dutch govt. (very talented and skilled engineers, with decades of experience), the US Corp. of Engineers, and others. Is the govt. really serious about tackling this issue? Do they have what it takes? Are they willing to reach out, or will they use only homegrown talent, which is substandard?

5. Shrinking economy. Thailand was #21 in the world just 5 years ago. They are now #25. This trend will continue. There is little being done to reverse it.

6. Traffic issues. Thailand has some of the most lax driving laws in the world. No helmets required in Samui, and 10 year old kids are permitted to drive motorbikes. Speed limits are rarely enforced, and anyone with some cash can buy their way out of any traffic related problem or accident, even if it caused death. Samui averages 60 traffic related deaths per month! Highest in the world, per capita. Not something you see in the media much. Nobody wants to discuss it.

7. That brings us to issue #7. Law enforcement. The police in Thailand are basically a revenue collection agency. Very, very little law enforcement. The quality of the detective work, and the forensic work is on par with Sub Saharan Africa, from what I have been told by well informed sources in law enforcement, outside of Thailand. For the #25 economy in the world, this is shameful, and the result of tremendous sloth, indifference, corruption, and ineptitude. Regardless, it remains one of the truly great blights, in this otherwise delightful country.

8. Local mores, ethics, and attitudes. Though the Thai people have many wonderful qualities, that many of us appreciate, their attitudes toward business, and tourism are hard to fathom. They nearly always, will choose to do the wrong thing, when it comes to customer service, or maintaining a relationship, if it means a few extra baht today. No ability to see the forest beyond the trees. Very, very little of the vision thing. It is a tremendous detriment to doing business here, and in the long run damages the tourism industry to a fabulous extent.

9. Tourism. For the above stated reasons, there is a real PR problem, when it comes to Thai tourism. The governments, both central, and local seem to be either unwilling, or unable to tackle the issues with taxis, tuk-tuks, jet skis, and other scams here, and it is resulting in huge damage to the industry. They are making up for it to some extent by attracting the Russian, Chinese, and Korean markets, but these are not the high rollers that Thailand need to thrive in the long run.

10. Saving face. Perhaps Thailand's single most destructive quality. It forces people to bury problems under the carpet. How can you resolve an issue, if it causes you embarrassment? Who cares. Suck it up, man up, and deal with it. Not here. Not now. Rarely ever. Avoid the issue, whatever you do, do not discuss it, and pretend it will go away. It is a society of 13 year old boys, in men's bodies, who behave like 13 year old boys, and have the emotional development of 13 year old boys. I am sure there are some exceptions. Maybe 11% of the society? LOL.

You make some very good points in an interesting post. From my own experience, I've found the Philipinnes and India far more corrupt than Thailand, The "fights against corruption" usually mean arresting political oponents. Malaysia was better than Thailand. China was hard to judge, because it's kept more away from you there. These were my experiences.

Thailand has to address education, linguistics, business xenophobia etc if it wants to compete. An impartial judiical system based on constitutional laws enforced by a professional, modern and unbiased poilce force would be great. But, does any country in the world really have this?

Interesting points here. I'd rephrase the last part of your lines... But, does any country in the world want to have this ?

• Like 1

Might want to take some lessons from the the British MPs and all the Banks involved in the Libor scandal. Time some TV Members got off their holier than thou hobby horse and looked at what else is going on in the way of BIG corruption in the rest of the World, from so called developed Countries!whistling.gif

Yes and all exposed by free media.in thailand its endemic.at every level of business and government.no accountabiity

Sent from my LG-P350 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1