Like It Or Not, Corruption Is The Name Of The Game In Thailand

webfact

Like it or not, corruption is the name of the game in Thailand

image_201209071608509FFD22C0-E3C4-5039-D6F81B1F022B4AF6.jpg

BANGKOK, Sept 7 – Corruption is increasingly acceptable in Thai society with an alarming trend of people seeing it as a way of life and willing to ‘tag along’ for personal gain.

An Assumption University poll conducted Sept 1-6, found the number of Thais not objecting to corruption if it was with their partial advantages increased from 63.4 per cent in June to 65.8 per cent in August.

Only one-third – 34.2 per cent – of the 2,117 respondents insisted that corruption is unacceptable.

Assumption Poll director Noppadol Kannikar said the younger generation is most worrisome with 79.1 per cent of respondents under 20 and 76.5 of those aged 20-29 said state corruption is acceptable if it benefits themselves personally.

A similar attitude was reported by nearly two-thirds of the rest of the respondents -- 64.8 per cent of the 30-39 age group, 65.4 per cent of the 40-49 age group, and 59.9 for people above age 50.

Among career groups which embrace the same attitude, students represented the highest percentage at 70.6 followed by entrepreneurs at 66.2 per cent, private employees at 64.3 per cent, general wage earners and farmers at 61.9 per cent.

Lying? White lies only, or more? More than two-thirds, 68.3 per cent, approved lying for survival while slightly under one-third, 31.7 per cent, said they would not lie regardless.

In the public sector nearly 60 per cent of state officials described corruption as acceptable, and referred to benefits in terms of job promotion, transfer to a better location and profit.

They claimed that every government is corrupt and politically intervene in public administration. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-09-07

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I've experienced and unhappy with the corruption problem in Thailand, it becomes a normal way of life when more than 2/3 of people don't take it as a problem. Pathetic, though.

I would say 9/10 don't take it as problem.

So if we accept that Thailand is a corrupt country and the holier than thou attitude is just for the benefit of those dreamy tourists in the promos .... not the sex tourists obviously who know better... then the next political campaigns should be demanding a fair share of the corruption cake for all Thais, not just the rich and well connected.

That would be populism, apparently..

• Like 2

From the poor to the rich corruption is rampant in Thailand...it's an accepted way of life. Thai's realize corruption is morally evil but they accept it as a necessary evil in Thailand....necessary from the standpoint of so people do it that others feel they must also. Sad state of mind....it could take generations to substantially change for the better.

As much as I've experienced and unhappy with the corruption problem in Thailand, it becomes a normal way of life when more than 2/3 of people don't take it as a problem. Pathetic, though.

It's the way it is, and the natives think it great if a dude has taken dosh for doing nothing. They all want to do that soooooooooo thumbsup.gif ...................................sad.png

A poll and a result Thailand should not want. But it is endemic, growing (obviously) as there are no enforcement personnel who can (or will do), anything about it. Som Num Na. Looking back over Thai history Thai's do not deserve half of what they have. If they took out the corruption issue they would be financially far stronger than Japan but they are simply happy to stay with the 'system' and no question. The word "buffaloes" comes to mind since that is how they refer to the stupid. Seems that covers at least 65% of the population according to the poll.

Money flows uphill here so the best people for the job rarely find themselves in the job they deserve. You have to look no farther than the PM.

The net result of that process is that ministries and policies are geared for skimming rather than benefitting either the people or the country.

If that's what the Thai people want, then I hope they will be happy lodged in one generation of progress behind much of the world. If they aspire to be better than Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam then they will need to up their game to stay in the race. If they hope to compete with Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia in Asean then a major overhaul is needed.

As it is said, in a Democracy the people get the government they deserve, not the government they need.

Are you suggesting thailand needs a coup?

Money flows uphill here so the best people for the job rarely find themselves in the job they deserve. You have to look no farther than the PM.

The net result of that process is that ministries and policies are geared for skimming rather than benefitting either the people or the country.

If that's what the Thai people want, then I hope they will be happy lodged in one generation of progress behind much of the world. If they aspire to be better than Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam then they will need to up their game to stay in the race. If they hope to compete with Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia in Asean then a major overhaul is needed.

As it is said, in a Democracy the people get the government they deserve, not the government they need.

With this government a coup would be indeed an improvement. Surayud government was the best government of the last 10 or so years.

Does this mean that most Thais are endemically corrupt then? Oh great... I'm sure that will boost investors' confidence in the country. Then again, I'm not too sure how the world works.

Ah well... Again, I'm not surprised from a nation bred like sheep.

Sheep to the slaughter.

• Like 2

With this government a coup would be indeed an improvement. Surayud government was the best government of the last 10 or so years.

Actually what Thailand needs is someone who can CONTROL corruption. That's Thaksin apparently. He knows it so well. See, Thaksin can't bear to see other people making a profit from corruption, so he monopolises it...

• Like 2

Does this mean that most Thais are endemically corrupt then? Oh great... I'm sure that will boost investors' confidence in the country. Then again, I'm not too sure how the world works.

Ah well... Again, I'm not surprised from a nation bred like sheep.

Sheep to the slaughter.

Investors are up to speed about LOS. They are not daft. thumbsup.gif

An Assumption University poll conducted Sept 1-6, found the number of Thais not objecting to corruption if it was with their partial advantages increased from 63.4 per cent in June to 65.8 per cent in August

The same university would never take money from somebody to study there. Am I assuming the Assumption?

I would never kill somebody for 10,000 baht. Don't know if somebody would offer me $ 1 million...... w00t.gif

Edited by sirchai

An Assumption University poll conducted Sept 1-6, found the number of Thais not objecting to corruption if it was with their partial advantages increased from 63.4 per cent in June to 65.8 per cent in August

The same university would never take money from somebody to study there. Am I assuming the Assumption? w00t.gif

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Yes, no yes no, oh l give up cos l have dealt with it all. sad.png .

Is it really corruption if it is accepted and common? Corruption is like rules and laws in that the majority only have problems with either if they hurt or hinder them but tend to enjoy them when they benefit them.

Absolutely not, what Thailand needs is to mature as a society.

Some times I think it's still stuck in the same vices as Victorian Era England.

• Like 2