Does Your Motorcyle Fit In The Back Of Your Crew Cab Pick Up?

oldmajor

I have transported a lot of bikes 200- 650cc in the back of short bed trucks with the back wheel on the tailgate. Yes it's safe. And get the special handlebar strap pictured below if you can find it. Keep the bike mid-line, straight up, not diagonal on the side stand like the Thai's do it. Tighten ropes/straps, both front and rear, so the bikes shocks are compressed a good bit, but release them as soon as you get to your destination as this can be bad for them over time. You can tie to the rear foot pegs. For longer trips I also tie the wheels so they stay in the center of the bed and can not scoot left or right which can lead to the bike falling over.

Also, in Thailand by law you must cover any load with a tarp, including bikes. I know people that have been ticketed for this.

medscaleBike-It-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Tie-Down-Straps-1.jpg

Capture-3.jpg

Edited by NomadJoe

I've gone 'Thai-style' with my Ninja 250 in the back of a 4 door PreRunner. Meaning that hoisted it up there, pointed the front wheel at a corner and then pushed the rear over tight against the bed. Nylon rope to various structural bits and bobs and it didn't move a cm...

I've gone 'Thai-style' with my Ninja 250 in the back of a 4 door PreRunner. Meaning that hoisted it up there, pointed the front wheel at a corner and then pushed the rear over tight against the bed. Nylon rope to various structural bits and bobs and it didn't move a cm...

Same here with a Cbr250 :D

sent from my Wellcom A90+

I have transported a lot of bikes 200- 650cc in the back of short bed trucks with the back wheel on the tailgate. Yes it's safe. And get the special handlebar strap pictured below if you can find it. Keep the bike mid-line, straight up, not diagonal on the side stand like the Thai's do it. Tighten ropes/straps, both front and rear, so the bikes shocks are compressed a good bit, but release them as soon as you get to your destination as this can be bad for them over time. You can tie to the rear foot pegs. For longer trips I also tie the wheels so they stay in the center of the bed and can not scoot left or right which can lead to the bike falling over.

Also, in Thailand by law you must cover any load with a tarp, including bikes. I know people that have been ticketed for this.

Capture-3.jpg

You should have added that it is not allowed to drive with the rear wheel on the tailgate.

Capture-3.jpg

You should have added that it is not allowed to drive with the rear wheel on the tailgate.

As long as the bike is covered and has a red warning square on the back. No problem. Unless the Bib just want some whiskey money :D:D

Inch wide Ratchet tie downs. Use 2 or 3 on a scooter, 3 or 4 on a real bike and definitely 4 on a bigger bike.

I've been using em for over 20 years and they are great! I replace em every 4 years or so. NEVER HAD ONE FAIL.

post-63954-0-16909200-1347025273_thumb.j

Capture-3.jpg

As long as the bike is covered and has a red warning square on the back. No problem. Unless the Bib just want some whiskey money biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

I think the correct interpretation of the law is that there always should be some iron bar behind the object that prevent it from sliding out of the trunk.I'm sure you have seen those iron bars they attach to the car body and actaully extend the trunk.

Capture-3.jpg

As long as the bike is covered and has a red warning square on the back. No problem. Unless the Bib just want some whiskey money biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

I think the correct interpretation of the law is that there always should be some iron bar behind the object that prevent it from sliding out of the trunk.I'm sure you have seen those iron bars they attach to the car body and actaully extend the trunk.

TIT. Who knows whats right or wrong. It depends on the police man :D

Capture-3.jpg

Should also advise NOT to compress the suspension too much!!! Or you will pop the fork seals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Idea is to tighten it enough that the bike stands straight and stable. Still allowing the bike suspension some movement.

• Like 1

Same here with a Cbr250 biggrin.png

Can you shut the tailgate when you load the bike "Thai Style"

Yes.

With the Cbr250 on a 4 door Ford Ranger I can. The rear plastic mud guard bit sticks out the back slightly. On a normal or spacecab no problems.

I can get the Yamaha scooter onto my 4 x 4 Ford Ranger and close the tailgate.

I don't think my Phantom will fit and my Yamaha Virago would need a forklift to get it up there at 195 kg and it would probably be too long anyway.

Both the Phantom and Virago will need the tailgate open.

I don't think my Phantom will fit and my Yamaha Virago would need a forklift to get it up there at 195 kg and it would probably be too long anyway.

I had a stretched Phantom, and still have a very stretched out Steed, both rear tires sit on the tail gate no matter the positioning. My VFR400 also will not allow me to close my tailgate. It is a 4 door DMax. I never tarp it, just hang a red cloth off the rear end. I have driven through police check points that way and never been stopped. Tied down with nylon straps, but just purchased a couple of ratcheting tie downs for the next trip.

And at 225 kg, it took 4 of us to lift my Steed up.

Over the past few years I have transported bikes all over Thailand (part of my business)

I use a double cab. 2 of us lift the bike in or use ramp. We have proper motorcycle tie downs and use 4 of them (American Made and imported from there but now see them here in big bike shops.

Tail gate is always down.

Never been stopped

Never given a ticket (nor handed over any Tea money)

Never covered

Never had any problems doing so

And never been late with any delivery anywhere in Thailand !

i have no pick up, but i did add a rack to my old caribian.125910_lg.jpgVersahaul_Single_Motorcycle_Carrier.jpg

something like that. just need some lashing straps

I do like the idea of that. Does this fit into your usual towing bracket set up or do you need any other modifications?

How far does your bike stick out from the sides of your truck?

I have one of those carriers. As I have an agricultural tow hitch I had to get a steel box made up to mount the carrier. then it was a bit rocky so I had to get arms made up. It's not to bad. I've used it for 2 trips up to Pitsanulok and back.

post-63954-0-79683400-1347380128_thumb.j

Both the Phantom and Virago will need the tailgate open.

Thanks for the information. Hopefully I will NEVER need it. I am touching every piece of wood I can see.

• 9 months later...

I have a tiny Nissan NV and get two small motorcycles in it ,or one PCX size bike .I run the bikes up a wooden ramp to get them on .It helps that the floor of the nissan is very low down .