Debit Card Cloning In Pattaya

zoza

i was online checking my bank account a couple of days ago when i noticed a few strange withdrawals

then i saw the balance of the account was incorrect, i asked my wife if she still had the card and she produced

it,i explained to her the problem and she was quite shocked,i didn't suspect my missus as the withdrawals were

made in Vietnam and all on the same day,and she was with me on the day in question,plus she knows i never have

more than £300 in that account.

the card was only used by us in atms we have never let it out of our sight, as it turns out the fact that i only drip feed

that account has paid off because otherwise i could be looking at serious damage,so it looks like i'll be withdrawing

from banks cashiers only from now on.just a heads up i haven't seen any other posts but i'm sure there will be others

and i would like to compare notes as about a month ago i had a strange occurrence at an atm in a bank in the centra complex.

cheers

Change ypur bank, did you have the card with you that day , you were with your with ? maybe someone has made a copy of your card check with your bank go alone and ask don't trust anyone even your wife.

Edited by Boyce

Only take money out at ATMs that are locked up at night. Better, only the ones inside the banks themselves. Skimming is a big problem here now.

said it before on here many times - if you have a bank account in Thailand do not get a debit card or any type of card linked to the account, I suspect that a lot of these cases don't actually involve skimming, I believe your bank info is being hacked by bank employee or IT support, either way if you don't have a card then your money is reasonably safe.

Only take money out at ATMs that are locked up at night. Better, only the ones inside the banks themselves. Skimming is a big problem here now.

said it before on here many times - if you have a bank account in Thailand do not get a debit card or any type of card linked to the account, I suspect that a lot of these cases don't actually involve skimming, I believe your bank info is being hacked by bank employee or IT support, either way if you don't have a card then your money is reasonably safe.

You can also open a second account at your Thai bank, that can not be accessed via an atm card. Move money on-line and quickly make your withdrawl using the atm card.

In America, you can call toll-free numbers and change your atm pin. Do this frequently and you can hopefully be one step ahead of the skimmers. I use Skype to do this.

• Like 1

A friend just had a recent experience at a TMB ATM on a Theppresit RD. 7-11. He was notified by Visa fraud prevention of unauthorized attempts to use his ATM/PIN and blocked the card. No money lost; he was lucky. I've lost money using the TMB ATM on Dongtang beach by the police box. Two friends have lost money using the TMB ATM in front of View Talay 2. We are all vigilant about looking for skimmers, cameras, protecting your PIN when entering, etc.. We have all compared notes and checked our ATM account history. We have connected the dots and firmly believe that TMB has a serious security breach. I personally believe it is internal. You have now been warned!!!

THIS USED TO BE MY WORK, so...

Actually when you use a credit card in Thailand, the ATM uses caller ID to compare the number you’re calling from with the one on the account (usually your home phone). If the phone number is a match, the verification process is streamlined. Rather than requiring the entire credit card number to be entered, the caller can usually access the account with only the last four digits.

What are you even talking about here? Caller ID at atm machines? Compare the number I'm calling from with my home phone number? Then in the next sentence you talk about credit card numbers not being needed in full to process the transaction. None of that makes any sense in relation to using an ATM machine in any country. It's quite obvious why you are no longer working in this field if this is your understanding of how it all works.

All ATM's use cryptography. This is hardly some new technology. And these chips you say are not used in Thailand are actually on all my Thai issued credit cards and used in all the grocery stores instead of the mag strip. ATM cards however are all mag strip as are all ATM machines. And this is even in the high tech US of A.

Then you jump to IP spoofing and voicemail hacking which has nothing to do with ATM or bank fraud. You have taken a piece of every story written on tech fraud and tried to put it all in one story. Nothing you have said makes any sense to me other than "use in branch ATMS" which is actually good advice to avoid card skimming as the criminals generally will not take the risk of installing a card skimmer inside the actual bank. There are much easier targets and they will tend to go after those.

Edited by Jayman
  • Like 1

a quick update my britsh atm card supplier's(nationwide building society) after one phone call

about 5 days after the enitail discovery,have cancelled the card,issued a new card and refunded

the money.which makes things alot easier,as i was expecting lots of tedious phone calls.

• Like 1

cards however are all mag strip as are all ATM machines. And this is even in the high tech US of A.

Not entirely true.

My Bkk bank be1st card has a chip, but can only be used at Bkk bank atm machines...

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

Ok. but that is hardly the world standard as you have noted it can only be used at your bank and still has a mag strip to be used at the rest of the machines around the world.

How does one spot the skimmers on an ATM machine?

Man handle it. I physically pull on the card slot before I put my card it to see if it will come off or has any odd play in it.

Man handle it. I physically pull on the card slot before I put my card it to see if it will come off or has any odd play in it.

ok - what does a skimmer look like ?

https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=atm+skimmer+images&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=RjVQUOrAIYbIrQfU2oDQBQ&ved=0CB4QsAQ&biw=1229&bih=766

https://encrypted.go...iw=1229&bih=766

Thanks - it appears that the machines with clear plastic guides are more difficult to attach a skimmer. Kbank seems to have that style of slot - like this one -

http://i.current.com/images/asset/905/125/97/1lwUAi.jpg

Certainly it appears to be easier to spot anything attached to the entry slot if it is that style.

https://encrypted.go...iw=1229&bih=766

Thanks - it appears that the machines with clear plastic guides are more difficult to attach a skimmer. Kbank seems to have that style of slot - like this one -

http://i.current.com...5/97/1lwUAi.jpg

Certainly it appears to be easier to spot anything attached to the entry slot if it is that style.

mind you that they are clever and the skimmers are custom made for the machine to not look out of place. The one thing about all skimmers is that they are not designed to be permanent. that is why I man handle both the atm slot and the keypad.

Edited by Jayman

In fact, chips cards have significantly reduced fraud in some countries where these cards are used, but is not used in Thailand and many Asian countries yet, even though this has been available for several years now.

Maybe I am misunderstanding something about the chips, but I receive about 200 payments per day by credit card (service station), and 99% of them have chips, so you insert the card into the reader, rather than swipe it.

Or is it a different type of chip?

Also, in the last three years, I have only been contacted on one occasion by the banks regarding a fraudulent card being used on my reader. They contacted me nearly four months after the event.

In fact, chips cards have significantly reduced fraud in some countries where these cards are used, but is not used in Thailand and many Asian countries yet, even though this has been available for several years now.

Maybe I am misunderstanding something about the chips, but I receive about 200 payments per day by credit card (service station), and 99% of them have chips, so you insert the card into the reader, rather than swipe it.

Also, in the last three years, I have only been contacted on one occasion by the banks regarding a fraudulent card being used on my reader. They contacted me nearly four months after the event.

That's credit cards!

Most of the Thai debit cards do not have a chip...and needs to get swiped.

That's credit cards!

Yes.. agreed that chips are common now on CC but not at all common use at ATM's which is what we are talking about here.

the thing is that Pdavies99 started spewing off all sorts of misinformation and that is what soundman is responding to.

• 3 weeks later...

HI

Yes it happen to me i used my debit card in tesco lotus sukhumvit road .I used the displayed atm kasikorn bank on the 03 -09-12 and when i checked my account on the 29th september 12 with drawals have been made on it in vietnam .I inform the kasikorn bank in jomtien of this problem .As i know i only used the card once in september in tesco .And it had to be the said atm as they had all the details and pin number .I have informed my english bank and the credit card has been canceled .I thought with english banks you inform them then before you can used your card in another country outside of europe as i did when i came to thailand .The bank assitant seem to think i should go to tesco lotus and inform them about the atm skimming and i was trying to say to her it has your logo on you should report and deal with this problem .All comments welcome .

a quick update my britsh atm card supplier's(nationwide building society) after one phone call

about 5 days after the enitail discovery,have cancelled the card,issued a new card and refunded

the money.which makes things alot easier,as i was expecting lots of tedious phone calls.

Nationwide are excellent. Also, if you have a tesco credit card they are hot too. Excellent service from both providers (IMO!)

That's credit cards!

Yes.. agreed that chips are common now on CC but not at all common use at ATM's which is what we are talking about here.

the thing is that Pdavies99 started spewing off all sorts of misinformation and that is what soundman is responding to.

Interesting comments until you started putting down people, lowers your comments!! Just rude for the sake of it!