Portable Charger For Android Tablet?

bendejo

Recently bought a cheapo Chinese tablet running ICS. My rule is to avoid gadgets that do not have batteries that can be popped-out and replaced (as opposed to when replacing the battery is a major undertaking). This time I broke my own rule, so now I have this thing I'll be using primarily as a book reading device, and the battery lasts at most 4 hours.

I'm wondering about portable charging devices, preferably ones that use AA batteries. The charger that came with the tablet has an output of 2 amps and when the thing is turned off it takes maybe three hours to recharge from (near) empty. I saw a Duracell thing on the net with an output of app. 1.1 amp. I'll be in Bangkok in a few weeks and will go looking around Panthip to see what is available.

Any personal experience of portable chargers that be helpful in this case?

I bought the Yoobao 4400mAh power bank from BKK in April.

I thought it would be enough as a supplementary power source for my Galaxy Note that has a 2500mAh battery. Also, I thought it was a good compromise between size and capacity.

In hindsight, I wish I'd bought the biggest power bank I could have (10,000 mAh).

Firstly, I think the 4400 mAh is a generous rating. I thought I would get almost 2 recharges of my battery, but in reality I get just over 1 recharge.

Secondly I've decided the size isn't all that important. I thought I might want to be able to carry the power bank in my pocket, but I always chuck it in a bag.

I'm now trying to decide whether to get a bigger power bank, or a spare battery for the phone (which requires powering down to remove the battery).

I'm not sure why you want one that runs on AA batteries. Most of the ones (if not all) have a lithium polymer battery in them (same as your phone/tablet) which charges via micro USB cable.

So, to summarise, get the biggest power. Even then, you'll probably have times when you wish you had more juice :)

Thanks for the response.

I'm not sure, but I think my tablet is always running directly from the battery, unlike a laptop which will run off the mains and also charge the battery. This means that if charging while using the tablet the battery is being drained and charged at the same time. I can't use while charging anyway as the interface on the tablet goes koo-koo when plugged in. This has turned out to be a disappointment, not being able to use the thing while charging, but oh well, live and learn and what can expect for 4k baht. However when I charge it via a USB connection to my laptop it is usable -- go figure.

I have a camera that uses rechargeable AA's and I keep extras, so I thought I could put them to use.

Edited by bendejo

I can't use while charging anyway as the interface on the tablet goes koo-koo when plugged in

What sort of tablet is that? I have the TF700 and all it does when I plug it in to the keyboard dock or the power is tell me that it's charging by way of a quick on-screen display and the power icon changing. Same with the Samsung Tab.

It's says HeroTab on the startup screen, but is also called a Nova 7 Paladin.

When it is charging the touch screen goes completely random. I have it set so the touching is visible (those little bubbles under your fingertips) and when charging there are lots of bubbles all over, completely random. I tried doing a search on this problem but it's not easy to put into words.

Also I take back what I said about when I plug it into the USB port of my laptop: the blue light comes on and the charging icon has the lightning symbol, but it is not charging, something I just figured out.

It's says HeroTab on the startup screen, but is also called a Nova 7 Paladin.

When it is charging the touch screen goes completely random. I have it set so the touching is visible (those little bubbles under your fingertips) and when charging there are lots of bubbles all over, completely random. I tried doing a search on this problem but it's not easy to put into words.

Also I take back what I said about when I plug it into the USB port of my laptop: the blue light comes on and the charging icon has the lightning symbol, but it is not charging, something I just figured out.

Ah, OK, cheap Chinese kit with a modded Android. I'd look for a decent custom rom, there are some around, and that's how I made a Novo 7 Aurora useable before I dumped it on the saucepan.

FWIW, I did see that YooBao ( "Long March" wink.png ) 11,400 mAH external battery at a few shops in MBK today for 1,500 baht. It is probably cheaper on Sua Pa Road.

I just found it for $29 (US) on Ebay Singapore, with free shipping to Thailand.

About 900Bht, chanced it and bought one.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

FWIW, I did see that YooBao ( "Long March" wink.png ) 11,400 mAH external battery at a few shops in MBK today for 1,500 baht. It is probably cheaper on Sua Pa Road.

I just found it for $29 (US) on Ebay Singapore, with free shipping to Thailand.

About 900Bht, chanced it and bought one.

I suspect these are ~ 1,000 baht on Sua Pa Road, based on the wholesale/mark-up normal for phone accessories here, but not certain. May go there tomorrow to look, will follow-up.

• 3 months later...

My battery pack never arrived, Paypal gave me a refund.

Was a bit worried as many fakes around.

Bought from a Thai website

http://www.yoobaotha... 13000 mAh.html

post-152992-0-35536800-1357558664_thumb.

13000mAh YooBao Thunder Power Bank cost 1,700bht delivered.

Purchased Thursday, paid by bank transfer Thursday, phone call to say will be posted Friday, arrived Monday.

Perfect service, but a bit hard filling out the web order form in Thai, well worth the effort.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Powerock 7600mah dual usb output battery pack. About 3 inches square and get 2.5 charges on my Galaxy S3

Price is 3900 in most stores in Bangkok - however I managed to find one in Powerbuy - Central Chidlom for 2390, may have been an error, don't know, not my problem !

I love it and when you have a power hungry smart phone - it's the answer to your prayers.

• 7 months later...

I've just ordered a 20,000 miniamp power bank from groupon Thailand ฿1,050 delivered. Is suppose to arrrive next month. PS, they excepted my Canadian Credit Card.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not this one ?

http://www.mygroupon.co.th/deals/bangkok_en/Power-Bank-20000-mAh/716396262\

Maybe this one ?

http://www.mygroupon.co.th/deals/shopping_en/20000mAh-Dual-USB-Charging-Power-Bank/717278951

Or this one ?

http://www.mygroupon.co.th/deals/shopping_en/20000-mAh-Power-Bank-UDS-3F-/716881635

I just discovered that they have so many offers, but wonder if Groupon Thailand is reliable or if they have more partners who just don't care than in the rest of the world...

Edited by bangkokstick

I found the cheaper powerbank for tablets in Thailand, a powerbank with 2.1 A output (tablets do not charge with 1A output)

http://www.lazada.co.th/Go-Bank-Power-Bank-G13-12000-mAh-Black-98817.html?recomReferer=category%2Fcat_ts

If you turn the tablet off while charging, it will charge with 1A. But if you leave it on while trying to charge with only a 1A charge then you are correct since the tablet is using around 500ma to 1200ma while running....specific amount of milliamps being used depends on brightness level, CPU speed, Wifi/Mobile on or off, etc.

• Like 1