The Dark Side Is Happening !

Gone

This is a thread about how nice the Darkside is and I agree that it is becoming allot more developed (which may or not be a good thing depending on your point of view), but there are allot of things that are not being mentioned here as well.

1. If you ride a motorbike late at night you are much more likely to get mugged on The Darkside rather than on the Brightside, two or three young Thai men on motorbikes surround you and rob you at knifepoint. This has happened to 3 people I know well and many others that I've heard of.

2. It tends to attract allot of people that are just too weird or messed up to live in Pattaya or Jomtien, many times in the bars here there seems to be some twisted idiot making a nuisance of himself that you rarely see elsewhere. Seedy, very drunk etc yes but the Darkside is where the proper weirdo's end up after being barred from most of the bars on the Brightside - the bars on this side are more desperate for customers so put up with more shit.

3. There are far too many bars for the amount of customers which means the quality of the bars tends to drop quite quickly after they are set up. There are exceptions and of course there are some very good bars in the area but very few of note.

4. Supermarket choice is basically none or cross Sukhumvit for most imported items although this does sound like it's about to change.

Even though I live on the Darkside I nearly always drink in Jomtien, it has a much better vibe for me and better quality everything (except houses - the Darkside has a good selection of upmarket houses compared to elsewhere in the area).

Just my personal observations after 2 years living here.

You are right about the bars, there are quantity, not quality on the Darkside. I struggle to find a good bar that is consistant in quality. The PussyCat maintains a good appearance but lacks in female company. The owners have tried desperately to get girls, but they just aren't available sadly.

Kik bar has plenty of wallet lighteners but not too many others to speak of.

Still a great area to live in.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Darkside is so good, I go "into town" maybe once every 2 months.

Makes me wonder why I live in Pattaya actually.

We have everything out here, why venture over Suk...

There will be plenty of people who dissagree, that is OK, stay on the Brightside

Cheers

The bright side always burns eyes! I like the shadows of giant tree's in Huay Kha Kaeng!

I moved out of the area about a year ago to an upcountry location. I lived on the Darkside for about 4 years. Forget exactly when, but before the "bypass" roads were built.

I never once saw a fight, I did walk about after dark, I never even heard about the fishing line trick (although heard about in UK before). There was ample places to shop, many decent markets and "farang type shops" including at least 3 of the mini-Tescos, some TOPS and many 7-11s. I was never stopped from going across Sukhumvit if I needed to go to a bigger supermarket. I couldd buy electrical appliances of high quality in Numchai, there were many banks.

There were many good bars, the more raunchy were available if required. There are many decent restaurants.

The expat population there is basically non-tourist, so things do tend to be quieter. Guys who live there do not feel they need to do everything in the fortnight available to a holidaymaker.

After 8pm, the main Sois really quieten down, but Nern Pub Wan often drove me to distraction during the day and early evening.

I will agree that there may be more Thai on Thai crime late at nights, and that some villages have had problems with break ins. Downtown Pattaya is no different, in my opinion.

Personally, I think the Darkside should cede away from Pattaya. 2 different types of living environments

• Like 1

This is a thread about how nice the Darkside is and I agree that it is becoming allot more developed (which may or not be a good thing depending on your point of view), but there are allot of things that are not being mentioned here as well.

1. If you ride a motorbike late at night you are much more likely to get mugged on The Darkside rather than on the Brightside, two or three young Thai men on motorbikes surround you and rob you at knifepoint. This has happened to 3 people I know well and many others that I've heard of.

2. It tends to attract allot of people that are just too weird or messed up to live in Pattaya or Jomtien, many times in the bars here there seems to be some twisted idiot making a nuisance of himself that you rarely see elsewhere. Seedy, very drunk etc yes but the Darkside is where the proper weirdo's end up after being barred from most of the bars on the Brightside - the bars on this side are more desperate for customers so put up with more shit.

3. There are far too many bars for the amount of customers which means the quality of the bars tends to drop quite quickly after they are set up. There are exceptions and of course there are some very good bars in the area but very few of note.

4. Supermarket choice is basically none or cross Sukhumvit for most imported items although this does sound like it's about to change.

Even though I live on the Darkside I nearly always drink in Jomtien, it has a much better vibe for me and better quality everything (except houses - the Darkside has a good selection of upmarket houses compared to elsewhere in the area).

Just my personal observations after 2 years living here.

Sounds like the place for me! burp.gif

Sukhumvit is a mental barrier for most and it will always be that way.

I agree that is the case now, but I doubt if it will remain that way. I suspect there will be Falahngs taking Baht buses over to the dark side someday.

I agree that is the case now, but I doubt if it will remain that way. I suspect there will be Falahngs taking Baht buses over to the dark side someday.

they will never get back :lol:

sent from my Android phone

they will never get back laugh.png

There are hundreds of motorcycle taxi's on the dark side and I will lift them on one if needed and send them back alive !!!!!! I promise !!!!

WARNING: When traveling to the dark side please be aware of Fishermen all over the place trying to catch rich farangs by stringing up lines everywhere. If you are caught by one of these "Land Fishers" only give your name rank and passport number. Do NOT go out and buy a Police uniform and gun and go back to these fisherman. Just remember farangs are only "Land Sharks"

• Like 1

they will never get back laugh.png

There are hundreds of motorcycle taxi's on the dark side and I will lift them on one if needed and send them back alive !!!!!! I promise !!!!

WARNING: When traveling to the dark side please be aware of Fishermen all over the place trying to catch rich farangs by stringing up lines everywhere. If you are caught by one of these "Land Fishers" only give your name rank and passport number. Do NOT go out and buy a Police uniform and gun and go back to these fisherman. Just remember farangs are only "Land Sharks"

I have lived on the Darkside for 4 years, I get around a lot in the daytime & particulary at night. I have never seen a push & shove let alone a fight over here. It is always friendly banter with very few roughheads around.

I feel perfectly safe at night in car or on bike & have never seen the fishing line things.

When I was a kid, we would wrap a box in wrapping paper & put it on the road, when a car stopped to investigate, we would pull the line as they bent down to pickup the wrapped box....such harmless fun in those days...555.

There are some very ordinary bars over here now, we need a bit of quality & less quantity, that is my only complaint (not forgetting the state of SSCC Road)

Most that live over there do so solely because its cheap and they say they live there because its quite yet sing and dance with joy because its getting busy.....dosnt make sense.

Bit of an unfounded generalisation if you don't mind me saying so. It is no cheaper there than in town. More availability of houses for sale and for rent, less traffic once you are off the main Sois, good place to relax. My last place in down town was terrible, my fault for picking it on the grounds of economy, but I was back over Suk sharpish

That is it,

I have had enough of all the negative talk on the Darkside.

Today I will venture into the wilds of the Darkside to undergo extensive research on behalf of my fellow Darksiders.

It will involve visiting as many bars as possible & if the mood is right, testing the local delicacies.

Sometimes it takes a man to stand up & just do the job.

I will hate every minute, but it is in the name of research & discovery and for the good of mankind

Wish me safe travels my maties.

That is it,

Today I will venture into the wilds of the Darkside to undergo extensive research on behalf of my fellow Darksiders.

It will involve visiting as many bars as possible & if the mood is right, testing the local delicacies.

I will hate every minute, but it is in the name of research & discovery and for the good of mankind

Am sure you will have a wicked time......out of interest, is that swimming pool bar/entertainment venue still up there?....

That is it,

Am sure you will have a wicked time......out of interest, is that swimming pool bar/entertainment venue still up there?....

Which one? I can think of 4.

That is it,

If you mean PJ Pool bar on soikhaonoi, yes it is still there but the entertainment has dropped and is now just Geriatric Karaoke on Friday nights.

That is it,

If you mean PJ Pool bar on soikhaonoi, yes it is still there but the entertainment has dropped and is now just Geriatric Karaoke on Friday nights.

I suspect it is another form of entertainment he's got in mind!